[OPEN] Released

Abandoned threads and finished plots.
Maur

[OPEN] Released

Post by Maur » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:45 am

He was not quite sure that he was seeing what he thought he was. The sailor was looking ahead one or two miles, clouds of a violet hue hung heavily in the sky, centralized over a spot in the seemingly endless sea that he could not view from his vantage point on the deck. He looked over the railing to see that the water had faint traces of what looked to be blood in it, it was red at least, and it became heavier the further they went toward those strange clouds. Fish were swimming in the opposite direction, sharks ignored tuna as they swam together away from the anomaly.

The clouds were not there five minutes ago, and they were then. Worried he called for Captain Shanzing to come out on deck, at the same time he shouted up at the crow's nest, to see if the lookout had spotted the source of it yet, these were there usual fishing grounds and if there was a problem they were going home today without pay. Captain Erlmack Shanzing opened the door to his cabin and emerged at a steady pace, the crow's nest did not answer, the lazy sod.

"Is there a problem here sailor?" He asked, then looked away from the young man to the sky, and the water. "Gurvin get up to that crow's nest, if our lookout is asleep he is to be locked in the brig, I want you tah tell me what yah see up there." Gurvin, the sailor who had first noticed the increasingly concerning spectacle, dashed up the mast as fast as he could, slapped some handcuffs on the sleeping watchman and took his spyglass. Looking through the assemblage of metal and glass he saw on the horizon what looked like, a hole in the ocean. Which surely was not possible, he wiped his eyes and the lens of the spyglass, then pressed it against him again, yessir, a hole.

"Thar's a hole it the wah'r Cap'n!" He shouted to the deck below.
"There's a what now boy-oh?"
"A HOLE! in the water!"
"Yah mean like a vortex?"
"Nay sir, it be calm as anythin'."
"Mighty peculiar, do yah see any stormin' or fightin' o'er there?"
"Nay Cap'n!"
"Then we'll make toward er' an' investigate!" He shouted a reply and an order in one sentence, the men hesitated. "Get to it or it be the lash for all o'ye!" This spurred them into action.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

He thought about those words a lot, he had a lot of time to think. More than any man that was for sure. Three hundred years of thinking is a lot. These words stuck with him, he rolled them over in his decaying mind, he had read it somewhere once, but where? Couldn't remember, everything blended together. Grey. Everything was grey.

He heard some commotion above some time ago, he couldn't tell how long, his eyes were open and the only thing that he saw was watery blackness, the only he had seen, the only thing he would continue to see. Could have been thirty minutes ago, could have been ten years, it still would not matter. Nothing mattered. He had been certain of that for a long time now, it felt like he had been down there an eternity, which was a strange thing to feel was it not? One cannot measure eternity, no matter how long he had been down here it would be the same percentage of eternity. He had already thought over the question of whether or not he would be here for eternity, he decided it didn't matter. he felt the water begin to move, it felt like it drained completely out of the ship, how long did it take? Did it really happen or was it a hopeful hallucination? Did it matter?

Nothing mattered.

That is, nothing mattered until a beam of light shot across the darkness. A single board of what he thought to be an immortal prison was pried loose. A board off of the hull of his ship. The Tempest was being opened, and as soon as the first board was pried off his fingers moved, rustily curling inward. More wood was removed, and he could raise his hand, then his whole arm with some difficulty, it was at that point he realized that this was no hallucination. This was real. Was this the end? Was this the sweet release of death, or dare he hope, of escape?

The hole was a meter wide now, he could move his arms freely and the interior of the ancient ship was illuminated for the first time in centuries. It had not aged well, decayed but preserved, a strange limbo between life and death, a glance at his hands told him he was likely in the same state. He saw heads peering through the hole, they probably would not even think him alive. But he was alive, and as fresh air poured through the hole in the hull he found that he could twitch his toes.

Ropes descended into the hull, he was one of the only things left that could be considered reminiscent of what it used to be, all his shipmates had wasted away to nothing, the markings on all the barrels and cannons had eroded, did the ship even read The Tempest emblazoned upon the side anymore? It probably did not.

They slid down into the hull, they looked like your average sailor, in his waterlogged mind he decided, probably correctly, that playing dead was the better choice, so he went limp, closing his eyes for the first time in three hundred years, it was hard to move them at first, like they had rusted open. He felt himself being hoisted, and heard the words.
"Yah anybody lookin' for this guy? Maybe we'll be gettin' a reward."
The fishing vessel pulled into the harbor, crowds gathered around, they had all seen the clouds in the sky and the red in the water, both of these having since disappeared. The people wanted information, but more importantly, they wanted a story, and Captain Erlmack Shanzing was quite the storyteller.

"Gather round folks and let me ye' all about the strangest thing that happened to me in my fifteen years o' sailin' these waters!"

Monika
Casual Mod

Re: [OPEN] Released

Post by Monika » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:31 am

The sounds of steady hoofbeats on harbor cobble was drowned out by the din of the people making their way and gathering towards the docks. The armored form on the large, black and white mottled steed gazed towards the commotion, finding herself a bit curious about it as well. She continued down the street, standing behind the crowd and looking over the tops of their heads at the Captain. Theron's long blonde hair wavered in the light breeze as she waited for the Captain to continue his story.

The cavalier wondered if she was truly that bored to wait around and listen to a fisherman's wild tale, but things were quiet, so she figured why not. The harbor was quiet in the trouble department, so there wasn't much else she needed to do at the moment. She would need to check in at some point, but it wasn't now.
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡

Avalein
Bronze

Post by Avalein » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:46 am

THERONImageVAEL
VAEL CAVALIER
Image Hearing a sound as she rode down by the harbor Zilyana steadied her white stallion nudging him towards the crowd that had gathered. She had seen the captain but even as a child she had never been allowed near the harbor unless new horses were arriving by ship. Feeling the great white stallion start to prance under her quickly tried to steady him. Reaching the crowd moved so she could hear but wouldn't hurt anyone if the stallion got nervous. Before she knew it, she had spoken, "tell us captain what did you see?" reaching a hand down to stroke the stallions neck as she spoke.
Elrond: There are some who would not deem it wise.

Maur

Post by Maur » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:19 pm

The old Captain was pleased, his long grey beard swayed as a powerful voice burst forth from his mouth. With a few words he had captivated the crowd, and now he would begin to spin his yarn. He took a breath and looked around a bit before continuing, he saw two women on horseback, one aloof but curious, the other interested. He heard the latter ask a question.

"Tell us Captain, what did you see?"

"Well I'll tell you young lady!" He bellowed warmly, then crouched low to get nearer to the crowd, he was standing on the railing of his vessel, easily absorbing the up and down of the gentle waves. As he bent down his voice got lower, and more intense, to build the drama. "There we was, sailin' toward our normal fishin' spot, it was an average mornin' not more than two hours ago, when we saw the clouds in the sky, and the blood in the water. I asked my good man Gurvin here who was up in the crow's nest -always on the look out Gurvin is, all my boys are- I asked him 'Gurvin! What do yah' see o'er thar?!" and then came his reply."
" 'The water's calm Cap'n!' he replied, so I made the call and we sailed right up to the disturbance. We saw a hole in the water, completely calm, the sides were as straight an' clean as glass. I'll tell ye right now on the soul of me mother, tis' what we saw! It was I'd say about a quarter of a mile across, and at the bottom of it was a massive wrecked vessel, it's watery grave now left completely dry by some strange magics! We went down into the heart of the sea, and pulled from the wreck, this man!"

Two sailors hoisted the corpse, it was obviously heavy, and weighed heavily on them. By the looks on their faces one could tell the smell was awful. The appearance of the thing could make the squeamish wretch. It was pale, it's eyelids were closed, but beneath them the sockets were empty. The hair was long and stringy, and the old coat of red leather he wore had seen better days, still the old long jacket was sturdy, and probably weighed over forty pounds.

"If anyone here knows this man! I'd be glad for you tah' tell me who he is!" The Captain barked.

Dullan decided that now was the time to reveal himself, he found his vocal cords, tensed his muscles, and opened his eyes. He raised his head, seeing the crowd through eyeless sockets, and said croakily.

"I can tell you his name."

Avalein
Bronze

Post by Avalein » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Zilyana shook her head, trying to steady the stallion who was underneath her as the corpse was brought up from below. Her attention back on the captain as she smelled the rotten smell coming from the corpse. She had seen many things growing up and she fought back trying not to wretch as she nudged her stallion away from the smell coming off of it. Not realizing it she had moved to see the corpse open his eyes, her stallion nervously danced underneath her clearly not happy or unsure what was going on. Looking at the captain after pulling out a cloth that was coated in perfume wrapping around her nose and mouth breathing a sigh of relief, before calling out, "where did you find him?"

Finally managing to calm the stallion down letting him stretch his neck down and paw at the cobblestones.

Monika
Casual Mod

Post by Monika » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 pm

THERONImageVAEL
VAEL CAVALIER
Image Theron listened to the captain. Such a wild tale indeed, though fishermen weren't known for those sorts of tales. It was way too far out for the regular stories they would tell. She watched them bring up the corpse. The smell was putrid, but it wasn't something she couldn't handle. What was far more interesting than the story, was the waterlogged body who spoke up. "Then what is your name, good sir?" Theron spoke up, asking the corpse who spoke for himself. "A powerful force must have wanted you to be found, or it would not have given these men access to your wrecked ship..."
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡

Maur

Post by Maur » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:00 am

The crowd reeled and gasped, the dead man spoke, a corpse had come to life. The Drowned Man awakened. That would be the talk of the town for the next week, the Drowned Man awakened. Didn't you hear? A zombie talked to a crowd at the harbor, ol' Captain Shanzing brought him in, I hear he's walking the streets right now. The men who had been holding him up threw him down immediately, this thing was obviously cursed, and whatever it was, it could be contagious. The Captain was equally awed into silence, that was okay with Dullan, there would be time for talking later.

Sure they would talk, the whole world would likely talk, this was a highly unusual event.

"Where did you find him?"
He heard a woman ask, his vocal cords found strength as the reply formed on his lips, and his voice became more and more its own, it was still the voice of a man who had been underwater for a very long time, but at least it was human.
"At the bottom of the sea dear lady were you not listening?" Dullan asked the woman, a small cough of a laugh escaping him as he stood, pulling himself up to his full height, the sun burned his ruined flesh, the light stung his nonexistent eyes, but he was standing in the open air, he was free.

"Then what is your name, good sir? A powerful force must have wanted you to be found, or it would not have given these men access to your wrecked ship..."
"My name? I don't see that it really matters, I'm the man who drowned, the Drowned Man, I like that don't you all? The Drowned Man...My name is Dullan Ercrandor and I hail from Galia, the vessel you pulled me from was called the Tempest."
To anyone who recognized those words the statement was more than a shock, Galia had collapsed due to civil war over two hundred years ago, the Tempest had sunk roughly three hundred years ago, and the Ercrandors, who were a wealthy family in their heyday a century ago, were long dead and gone.

So there upon the docks of the Sunset Harbor stood a man from nowhere, who knew no one, and owned nothing. He knew none of this yet, he did not know for how long he had been on the bottom of the sea. All of the excitement began to overwhelm his senses, not used to any activity, much less activity of this magnitude, his head began to feel heavy, and he collapsed upon one knee.

"Perhaps I should speak with someone official." He mused aloud.

Avalein
Bronze

Post by Avalein » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:19 am

Hearing that Zilyana nodded, she had not been permitted anywhere near the sea. Her eyes darkening for a moment, "yes that i know, but in the middle of the sea or closer to land." Upon hearing the name of the kingdom he was from, looked up surprised, "You are from Galia?" She had only heard stories of the place her father's family came from when she listened at her parents door late at night, "you will be saddened to hear that it is no more it was destroyed in a civil war?"

Putting a hand on the stallions neck, her first horse had been one from Galia. Hearing the stallion she rode snort and start to paw at the ground again clearly impatient to move. Seeing that nudged her horse around the crowd to an open area where she could still hear and see what was going on. Her ancestors had come from Galia and she wondered what had happened to it as her father never spoke of it or the family that hadn't left for Azuria. Closing her eyes she thought for a moment her father had kept several books on Galia, opening her eyes called out, "would you be willing to tell me more about Galia? My ancestors came from there, but my father never spoke of the place. And if he did it was behind closed doors only to my mother." Reaching down to pat the stallions neck, as she watched Dullan.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:32 pm

The sea laps at the shore like a kitten with a saucer of milk. Ships are coming in. Some of 'em are a pretty good size, but the girl's eyes aren't on the ships. She's staring at the waves like they're gonna bring her a home.

Never did know why she wanted one so much. I pay attention to the ships, though, even if she's only got eyes for the blue sea. Some sailor's got an old sea shanty about strange goings on, out with the tide. Everyone's got a story. Sometimes they're good. Sometimes they're true. Takes a rare tale to be both, though. Let's just say I'm skeptical about this one.

Sailor pulls up a man for display like he's running a circus. Man seems a bit confused about things, but less so than he ought to be. Galia? Sure. I remember Galia. There's plenty of creatures in this world that think a couple centuries is just about enough time for a game. Most of 'em you don't want touching your dice, though.

I give the girl a little nudge. Takes more than a little one, but she turns from the water after a while, walks over to where the conversation's happening. She don't say much, but then again, she never does. Just takes herself a little seat on a crate, hops up again in a hurry when it proves to be full of crabs. Ain't the sort of pinch she wants to be in. Next crate she checks first - empty, waiting for a soul to fill it. It'll do for a seat for now. She's watching the man from the sea with curiosity.

Probably figures he knows what it's like, not being able to find his way home.
spacer
Ariana Folletti sat quietly on the crate, sword laying not-very-quietly across her lap, just listening to the stories around her. She'd never heard of Galia, but she wasn't much of a cartographer. The blade she carried seemed to know something about it, but then again, the blade often professed to know something about everything - or just everything in general. She didn't think it was quite as brilliant as it thought it was, but she didn't mention that. Things were easier when she let it do what it wanted to. Besides, a little thing like that wasn't worth arguing over, especially when she didn't know any more anyway.

She wasn't all that interested in the man from the bottom of the sea. Sure, it was a good story, but she doubted it was true. She'd learned a lot about truth - mostly, that it didn't exist where it should. She wondered about the captain, though, who'd obviously come up with the tale and found some poor sap to play the part. There was a story there, beyond the one he was telling.

Maybe it would be worth listening to, for a while. And if nothing else, she'd just listen to the ocean. Ariana liked the sound of the ocean.

It didn't tell lies.

Maur

Post by Maur » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 am

"You are from Galia?"

He merely nodded. The crew was beginning to regain their composure, so was Captian Shanzing, who began to find it very difficult to look at Dullan and not see gold, or rather, a golden opportunity. He would use the time that Dullan spent speaking to young woman to formulate a plan. The Captain would keep this marvel, and sell tickets to see the Drowned Man.

"You will be saddened to hear that it is no more, it was destroyed in a civil war."

Dullan barely reacted, he'd already thought of it, he'd thought of everything.

"would you be willing to tell me more about Galia? My ancestors came from there, but my father never spoke of the place. And if he did it was behind closed doors only to my mother."

"Not really, ask me another time dear lady when I am not otherwise engaged, and perhaps your answer will be different." Dullan replied, vomiting green bile onto the deck after his last sentence, that wasn't good, was he truly left unscathed from his time in the sea? How long was he down there? Suddenly he felt like it began to matter, or did it? No, nothing did. All he knew was that he felt tired. He wanted to get out of the sun and away from the crowd. All of the sudden excitement was wearying.

"Now now people! Can you not see this man is tired!" The Captain bellowed, "You would be too, had you been in the heart of the sea for so long! Come now I will see to it that you get some rest." He picked Dullan up and began to lead him away with a hand on his rotten shoulder, if he got him into the brig he would chain him to the wall and they'd have been long gone before anyone came to rescue the corpse, after all, dead men didn't have rights did they? The Captain didn't think so, in fact, he didn't think anyone would care at all.

"I would rather not." Dullan said, throwing off the man's hand with little enthusiasm. He found the eagerness with which he was lifted and escorted off to have been a little off-putting, and decided that he would rather find his own place to rest. The Captain panicked, seeing his big payday slip away he pulled his sword, as did the rest of the crew.

"You will come with me I assure you of that!"