G.A.T.E.S Academy (reboot)

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
databaseoverload
Bronze

Post by databaseoverload » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:19 am

I’m honestly so bored so I’m taking this in a new direction to make it more exciting.

Music has a powerful influence over humanity today. Nearly any electronic device has the power to play music. Businesses are made from creating or using music. The average teenager has listened to over 250 songs by the time they become thirteen years old.

But what if musc had an ever more powerful influence?

Recent studies show that when teenagers are exposed to a specific song more than any other song they've listened to, the song may trigger previously undiscovered hormones that allow the teenager to tap into related abilities. In layman's terms, a teenager's favorite song gives them powers.

Even odder, the powers gained by the songs are related to the song itself. Whether it be related to the title, the lyrics, or the music video, the song triggers abilities that seem to have some obvious relation to the song. For example, one study shows that when repeatedly exposed to the song Thriller by Michael Jackson, a teenager gained the ability to summon and control the undead. Another study shows that one teenager listening to the song Timber by Kesha and Pitbull gained the ability to control trees, wood, and other materials created by trees, (excluding oxygen) while another teenager listening to the same song gained the ability to force humans to dance.

So does this mean that everyone who wants to be the life of the party should start listening to Timber? As humorous as this may seem, this could be dangerous and abusable. Not only could there be unwanted side effects to the use of these hormones, but the powers gained by listening to music may either be difficult to control and cause the user to accidentally hurt themselves or others, or abused maliciously to attack, rob, kill, or control others, or worse.

This debate is still causing controversy between friends, families, and even officials, but what is to be done for those already affected by these hormones? Not only are they potentially dangerous to both those around them and themselves, but a "solution" of making the use or existence of these hormones liable to a death sentence for the user has already been suggested and supported.

This is why our children have been offered a special facility, G.A.T.E.S. (Gifted Accidentally and Talented Extraordinary Students.) Academy. Here, our children will be protected from the misunderstanding public and government officials. They will also be taught how to control their powers to the point of where they could go out in the public without anyone even suspecting them of having powers. Our children will also gain the skills and knowledge that everyday civilians are equipped with. Without being here, our children can become a danger to our society.

They will become something to fear.

~~~~~~~~~

Being here wasn’t your choice. You would give anything to be on the outside again. People fear you. Your parents were scared into sending you here. They don’t understand you.

You were told this was a school, you were lied to. The classes are 90% brainwashing, 9% abuse, and 1% crying. When you aren’t there you are stuck inside with minimal view of the outside. No contact with the outside allowed. Does anyone know what goes on here? You’ve seen your friends killed in front of you for finally snapping. Do their parents even know they are dead? Maybe you can make sure people know. Somehow.
Go ahead and buy yourself a drink
Cause you know you’re deserving of it
Go ahead and cry yourself to sleep

databaseoverload
Bronze

Re: G.A.T.E.S Academy (reboot)

Post by databaseoverload » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:20 am

Rules:
1) No OP, I get it, it’s tempting in these kind of rps to go overboard, but I’d rather it not be.
2) Your power MUST be related to your song.
3) No killing unless the person you're killing gives you permission.
4) Honestly, be creative with your characters. Not everyone is going to be nice
5) Don’t try escaping right away, the fun part is the build up!

databaseoverload
Bronze

Post by databaseoverload » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:22 am

CS

Name:

Age(13-18):

Time spent at G.A.T.E.S: ( anywhere from 0-5 years, but if you plan on them being here longer than 3, check with me because they probably know plot stuff)

Appearance:

Personality:

Song(I would prefer not to have repeats):

Power(Must relate to song):

Relatives(If in RP):

Backstory:

Other:

Xcelgamer

Post by Xcelgamer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:17 am

DUDE! I'm so down for this (again? Can't remember if I was in the original or not).
"I'm in lesbians with you." Scott Pilgrim

databaseoverload
Bronze

Post by databaseoverload » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:33 pm

I really loved making this and developing it into what it is now so I’m glad you’re excited!

Xcelgamer

Post by Xcelgamer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:48 am

So if my character is there for three years would she know plot stuff or would it be just 4-5 years?

felilynn

Post by felilynn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:10 am

Name: Ruben Reed

(Image)
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ani ... 1012024842

Time Spent at G.A.T.E.S: 2 years, but is still getting used to the academy.

Appearance: Although he still hasn't outgrown his baby-face, he's still sometimes surprisingly mistaken as an older guy. He has a relaxed look with tired, earthy green eyes, tousled feathery brown hair, and a mischeveous smile. He also wears lots of dark blues and neutral toned jackets along with some long-sleeved shirts and sweaters to compliment his unkempt appearance.

Personality: Quirky and down to earth, Ruben has a hard time explaining himself and ends up speaking with his arms and hands rather than his mouth. He's a very laidback person, and because of this attitude, he's gained a lot of wisdom. Yet this easygoing view on life tends to backfire on him and sometimes gets him mistaken for as careless or lazy however this is not the case. He's open minded and doesn't mind meeting new people although he does need his space. His long and stocky build gets him sometimes mistaken for short, but in reality he stands at a solid 5 foot eight inches.

Song: Amber Run- Spark

Abilities: Ignite; He can create small sparks of electricity that can develop into large flames by snapping his fingers. It's very effective but doesn't work when his hands are wet.

Backstory: Ruben is the youngest of all nine of his brothers and sisters. He was also the quietest, as most of his siblings were already adults or stubborn teens that didn't want to bother with him anymore. He ended shutting himself off, spending most of his days lost in his headphones, alone in his room. This negative part of his life was soon to be over as a certain 4th of July changed his life forever.
He was sitting by the windowsill, watching his parents and the rest of siblings playing with sparklers and lighting fireworks in the middle of the night. He was listening to music and found a certain song that gave him chills. It was relaxing but light and bouncy and he soon felt himself snapping along. However, his fingers started to feel warm. He thought it was from snapping for so long, but to his surprise, his fingers were actually sparking from the friction. Bright and quick white flashes of light soon turned to vibrant red flames that danced across his palm. Running down the staircase and bursting out the door, he ran towards his parents to show them his new ability But, they were already busy because the lighter had run out of gas. Seizing his chance, he showed them his new abilities with a wide smile and lit a sparkler. Everyone stared at him in awe, and not in admiration. But in fear.
They were terrified.
Soon after, he was sent off to G.A.T.E.S, shocked that after all these years of rejection and neglect that the only thing he thought that could've made his parents proud, terrified them.
He's been at G.A.T.E.S for two years, and is still getting used to accepting his new abilities.

Other:(Fun Facts) 1. He (ironically) despises hot weather.

2. He's secretly a huge geek about a certain novel series(even going as far as naming his pet snake "Salazar after one of the characters.

3. He smokes sometimes with the only purpose to mess with his friends. Usually they're non-addictive substances such as mint or tea leaves that don't have any negative effects.
Last edited by felilynn on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:37 am, edited 12 times in total.

Xcelgamer

Post by Xcelgamer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:56 am

Name: J.J.

Time spent at G.A.T.E.S: 4 years

Appearance: J.J. stands at around 6’3”, she is quite skinny and looks pretty average, not too beautiful but not too ugly. She wears a pair of rounded-square, black-rimmed glasses, that protect red eyes (from her power). She has slightly curled hair that reaches just past her knees and is multi-coloured with pastel pink, purple and blue covers up her original hair colour. She usually wears pop-culture shirts and skinny jeans with either normal shoes or knee-length boots.

Personality: J.J. is a very smart girl in terms of tactics, video game knowledge and puzzle solving. She constantly tries to figure out problems such as maths problems, riddles, logic problems, etc. She isn’t very good at communicating with people having only the past four years to get better at those sorts of skills and even then they are still some of the worst out there, all there if someone pushes her buttons enough she get deadly angry. While she doesn’t care about being cool she does sometimes smoke to calm down and for some reason, recharge her powers.

Song: Get Jinxed

Power: Creating and placing Jinxes

Relatives(If in RP): N/A

Backstory: J.J. was born in Australia, to a game developer and a video game composer, as an only child. By the time J.J. was 13, she was an amazing gamer as well as filled to the brim with gaming knowledge. Unfortunately, her power had manifested around this age, at first it manifested as more of a black and red aura that randomly struck people with temporary bad luck. While her parents didn’t mind the occasional trip or technology not working right for them, their neighbours however weren’t so happy and so they started to passive aggressively pressure them into sending J.J. to G.A.T.E.S. Eventually her parents gave in mainly because J.J. couldn’t stand the way her so called “neighbours” were treating them. After a few years there she eventually learned how to control her powers as fireable bolts rather than a constant aura.

Other: The first J is her first name and the second J is her last name
Smoking recharges her power much faster than resting
Her jinxes mainly involve bad luck stuff such as tripping, slippery fingers, having tech malfunction, etc.
J.J.’s jinxes are less likely to stick on people when they have good luck charms, such as horseshoes, four leaf clovers, fuzzy dice, evil eyes, etc with people who are more superstitious having the opposite effect.
Secretly wants to be a superhero.
Last edited by Xcelgamer on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chewable_tablets

Post by Chewable_tablets » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Looks interesting. I’ll be signing up so expect another post shortly
I’m bored

Xcelgamer

Post by Xcelgamer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Oooh goodie, I'm now curious since as of right now we've got an electric/fire wielder and a jinxer