New York City (Location)

Roleplay locations.
justice

Re: New York City (Location)

Post by justice » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:25 pm

So, he was the straightforward type. The well-armed straightforward type, for that matter. It was no surprise that he preferred the edgy sort of weaponry, given the doomskull look he was sporting. She wondered if cut to the chase had been a pun on his own part, but if it had been, it seemed to have been unintentional.

A pity, really. It would have been appreciated. The threat was good as well, in its own way - it established that he wasn't looking for a fight just for the sake of one, and more importantly established that he wasn't looking to put the romantic in necromantic. Just as well, given his look. Even Justice wasn't that blind. His confidence was an interesting factor as well - even having no idea who she was, or what she was capable of, he considered himself well-able to defeat her. With his type, it was fifty-fifty as to whether the confidence was merely arrogance, or whether there was something to it.

She didn't move to attack him, though. She was here to observe and to collect information, and if he wanted to offer threats to someone who had offered him neither harm nor insult... well, that was just one more entry for her data list, wasn't it?

"I'm Justice. I'm aware you're not very familiar with me." In more ways than one, her tone implied.
"But as far ask killing you..." She gave him a smile that was as edgy as his attire. "Not today, Behemoth. Not today."

Behemoth

Post by Behemoth » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:10 pm

The "not today" thing was more than vaguely threatening, but it was enough for Isaac to make the executive decision to relax a little. She was here to learn for when she decided that day came. He wondered if there was any way to show her that wouldn't be necessary, today or any day.

"Alright. I'm choosing to believe you. But keep in mind that you're still on thin ice, so don't try anything funny."

The pun was intentional. It matched his change of tense behavioral attitude, a way of saying if you stay calm, I'll stay calm without expressly repeating the threat to kick her ass if she tried it again. Or... Well, not again, since she hadn't tried anything, but still. It hung between them still, and he was fairly confident in his improvisational abilities to the point where when she did try something, he'd make good on his threats.

The cape fell back. His hand relaxed from the blade. His face twitched closer to a smile, as if she could either see that or hear it in his voice.

"To get back to your first question, I didn't have any plans, but I'd be willing to let you chill out with me. Watch whatever I'm not doing."

Maybe change your mind about potentially killing me.
Job 40:15

justice

Post by justice » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:30 pm

And he had chided her for puns. She put her hands on her hips and pursed her lips with a shake of her head that was all the more expressive for how understated it was.

"If that was meant to be an icebreaker, it leaves a lot to be desired."

She wasn't sure about his lack of plans. It was entirely possible that their absence had more to do with her presence than anything else. Getting all dolled up in cape and mask and then standing around doing nothing but brood seemed a little odd even for someone as unknown as Behemoth. Perhaps he could take a Sharpie and draw a little black tear on his death mask. Justice was quickly becoming concerned that he was about to start telling her how no one understood him. He seemed a little old for that, but then again, she supposed she had no way of knowing for sure.

Whatever else Behemoth was, he was certainly still a mystery. "You were helping Volksgeist in Newark. Do you know he killed Invictus?" A probe, less subtle than it could have been, but Justice wasn't often subtle, and subtlety wouldn't make Invictus any less dead, either. Behemoth hadn't been the one to kill him, but he had at the very least been allied with the one who did at one point.

She wanted to know whether that made him an accomplice, or merely a complication.

Behemoth

Post by Behemoth » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:24 pm

He chuckled at her comment. He wouldn't be able to keep up with her in terms of puns, so he decided to stick to his usual brevity from here on out. It fit the outfit, at least.

If she knew about the Newark incident, she knew about the pink incident. Lucky for his dignity, that wasn't the bit of blackmail she presented him with. He cocked his head a little, unsure where she was going with that. Implying he was an Eldest cultist, maybe? Only one way to find out.

"Who doesn't know he killed Invictus?" Evasive, but hell, it was true. "And anyway, Newark was long before Krakatoa. Yes, I worked together with him there, but technically, Volksgeist was helping me, not the other way around. There were civilians under the rubble. While everyone else was trying to take on something outside my weight class, I decided to work with search and rescure. I have no idea why he deigned to help, but he did. A lot of people would be dead if I'd just turned around and attacked him."

He glanced back down at the street. There was still nothing here, nothing nearby, either, if his little police-scanner-hack-whatever his tech agent had installed int he faceplate's latest upgrade was to be believed. Under the mask, he scowled, but he let it continue running in the background. Just in case it came up with a better distraction than Justice was being, right now.

justice

Post by justice » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:12 pm

"Hm."

As far as statements went, she was aware that hers left much to be desired. It wasn't so much noncommittal as undecided - a thoughtful note that let him know she hadn't really decided anything yet. Perhaps she would, or perhaps she wouldn't - but as she'd mentioned, she wasn't here to fight him.

Only to learn.

Behemoth didn't defend his actions, nor his alliance. She didn't know if it would have been better for him to have done so or not. It was true that the Newark footage seemed as if Behemoth - and Volksgeist - had been acting in good faith, but given that Volksgeist had turned around only shortly thereafter and killed one of the world's most beloved superheroes, Justice was somewhat concerned that Behemoth might be planning something along the same veins.

He was looking down the street, and she wasn't sure if he was anticipating trouble or hoping for a rescue. Maybe both, but the street seemed empty, at least, in as far as she could tell. Exonormal perceptive attributes weren't among her list of abilities, and unlike others, she preferred not to augment herself with mechanics. Computer systems were too likely to freeze up when they were needed.

"I won't do you the discourtesy of asking who you are - but tell me, Behemoth... do you think you're a hero?"

Behemoth

Post by Behemoth » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 pm

His attention returned to her, and he considered her for a long time. She'd learned either something or nothing from his explanation of Newark, which was good either way. The less she knew about him, the harder he'd be to predict. The more she knew about him, the less - hopefully - she'd be inclined to come around and kill him later.

Mental note. Check for a tail before going home tonight. If need be, safehouse instead of apartment.

"I try to be heroic, if that's what you're asking." He stuck to the truth. Bare truth. No defenses, because a defense could be taken as an excuse. If he'd been here as Isaac, he might have been more explanatory - but, if he'd been here as Isaac and she started asking these questions, he'd be a touch more concerned. "I do my best to put people before fights. A few times, yeah, it's come around and bitten me in the ass, but I can't help that. And the name 'hero' is pretty often in the hands of the public, not in the intentions of the person given that title. Wouldn't exactly be my place to call myself a hero."

That's what She had reminded him about, after the Breach. That Behemoth was meant to help people - that was the reason he was what he was, instead of someone trying to garner attention on purpose. Let it come naturally, She'd said. Do your best, do what you can, and let the actions speak for you. Nothing flashy, nothing outrageously attention-grabbing. Even his outfit was misleading. But the truth - beneath the bare bones - was that yes, he thought about himself as a hero. He thought of his heroism as a weakness.

And he knew, after what happened with Savant, that that weakness wasn't something he couldn't get rid of anytime soon.

justice

Post by justice » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:59 am

"I didn't ask if you called yourself a hero. I asked if you thought you were one. You do, don't you?" She could usually tell, but with him it wasn't even difficult - the I just try to be heroic, the self-deprecation... it was all there.

So, he thought he was a hero. She took two steps, circling, thoughtful. "But are you? I suppose only time will tell, won't it?" For now, though, he wasn't doing anything wrong, and she could accept that. She gave him a nod, a pass for the time being. He wasn't the best hero that he could have been, of course. The best heroes were already dead.

He was, however, acceptable, so long as he continued to be careful, and watched who he associated with. She was still curious about whatever organization or organizations he was working with, but he wasn't likely to give that information up now - not while he knew that she was curious. He was the cautious type, after all. She hoped it served him well.

"I hope you're able to continue to... act heroic, Behemoth. I look forward to hearing about it in the future. Life can be very good, if you are a hero. If not..." She trailed off, an expressive shrug a fluid gesture through her shoulders, and a breath of frost in the air before her. "...There will be Justice."

Behemoth

Post by Behemoth » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:29 am

"Life is also very short, if you're a hero." He said what he could tell they were both thinking. She had judgment written all over her body language. Judgment, and threats. She started to circle, and he found himself assessing the edge of the building, in case she was lying and had already passed judgment. The movement wasn't quite an intimidation tactic - it was just an unspoken threat. A supplement for her words, spoken frostily enough without the action, without the physical indicators. He responded with similar animal actions, drawing himself up taller, tensing his hands and his knees, ready for fight or flight. He doubted he'd need it, but it wouldn't hurt.

"And if I understand what you're saying, then I hope something else gets me long before you even consider it."

Under the helmet, he smirked. Tonight was going to give him some extra food for thought, if nothing else.

"I don't normally say this, but I hope I don't see you again anytime soon, Justice."

Now get off my turf.

justice

Post by justice » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 pm

"Better to die young as a hero than to live long enough to fall from grace, Behemoth," Justice opined, with a shrug. He was tense, ready for a fight - but she didn't intend to give him one that neither of them wanted. She moved again, but away from him this time, turning as if this sort of thing were the most normal thing in the world, walking off and raising one hand in farewell.

"Don't worry. I hope you don't see me again, either." She wasn't so callous that she would have attacked him from behind, of course - when she fought a fallen hero, she made sure they knew who they were fighting with, and why - but no one truly wanted to face Justice.

It meant admitting that they deserved to - and no one was more entrenched in their refusal to admit wrongdoing that someone who had once considered themselves a hero.

Whether or not they would call themselves one.