Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
- Posts: 1067
- Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:00 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: Down Under^45e45745745745743523232312212357878890774532445657795654376457243543656867973456325
So for those that don’t know, here’s the context of the situation;
- CalArts is an university in California that specialises in teaching art students (hence the obvious name). Because of how prestigious it is, having many notable alumni such as John Lassiter, Butch Hartman, Brad Bird and many more, a lot of modern animators that attend the University end up doing well in high-end companies (IE Cartoon Network)
- However a large portion of the animation community DESPISES CalArts as their teaching... is terrible. Students that attend have their styles morphed into something basic. An example of this is when RCDart; a student that drew art online began attending the University and noticed their artwork gradually degrade.
- Another complaint is that many graduates have started adopting an INCREDIBLY similar art style that they draw many of their characters in. One thing of note is that not EVERY character in each show is drawn in this style, but the similarities between characters is... notable.
Although I MUST disclaim that Rebecca Sugar (and likely several of the other animators) didn’t attend CalArts, though adopted its style.
- ”We need thick outlines, dammit!”
-Pan Pizza, 2016
- On the Thundercats Roar thread I posted the gif above and said that this should be a debate thread, which Annasiel told me I should make.
SO; what do you guys think? IMO I think CalArts has lost its touch over the years with animation, art and design, although they tend to do well. Instead of focusing on the desires of the individual, they tend to focus on helping their students find success by helping them adapt to whatever style is popular at that given time.
- Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:50 am
Do what I'm gonna do and attend full sail instead
"Everyone's an Atheist until turbulence starts shaking the plane".
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests