Tricks Of The RP Trade

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
Reyn
BBCode Guru

Re: Tricks Of The RP Trade

Post by Reyn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Actual Trash wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 pm
Craft characters whose absence would be felt.
And RP owners should craft a story in which characters' absences would be felt as well.

No point in making an RP if the only person who can further things is you. Then you're better off just writing a novel.
BBCode Guide | Art Thread | BBCode Templates
I apologise in advance if you view my posts on mobile.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Write a story that makes people want to learn more.

Write characters that people want to understand better.

And write powers that help augment your characters, not characters just for the sake of carrying a cool power.
Swollen with a mantra that I've stolen from a thief.

Myrn
Swiggity Swooty

Post by Myrn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:49 am

This^
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 am

I wish I realized sooner that dialogue doesn't have to be chronological. I thought of it as a normal conversation, or how a novel's dialogue is written. That isn't possible with two or more people that have their own characters. I actually almost got beaned when I first joined because of that. Plus it was back when you didn't get notifications about PM's and I apparently got like three warnings. Thankfully I'm a lot better at this whole thing now.

I'm really tired so I apologize if this is hard to read
I received a Varsity Letter in roleplaying

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:24 pm

This is all really good information, thanks yall.

My two cents is that it's so jarring when random underlining/italicised/bolded/colored speech is used by a character in normal daily conversation. I can understand if a character is casting a spell or letting out some sort of demonic possession but if they just go ahead and say "Hey guys, what's kicking? Any normal mortal, human, and natural things to do for a mortal, human, and natural person like me to enjoy?"...

Especially odd if every character is of relatively equal rank and speaking normally then random fancy text out of nowhere. It's like someone joining a quiet conversation and having them yell into a megaphone in everyone's ear.
My mum only lets me drink coffee if it's decaffeinated.

Maxx
Platinum

Post by Maxx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Adding to what Jhibus said:

If you've got more than one character in an RP, it is good to use italics/bolding/colors to differentiate between the different characters. This way, its easier to tell what character is saying what, and it can also give an impression of how the character speaks.
Apologies to those I RP with. My phone has stopped working, so until I get a new one it will be quite difficult to post as frequently as I usually do. I'm extremely sorry but I hope to get a new one as soon as possible so I can get back to role play with you all properly.

Shinigami
Community Mod

Post by Shinigami » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Maxx wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:40 pm
Adding to what Jhibus said:

If you've got more than one character in an RP, it is good to use italics/bolding/colors to differentiate between the different characters. This way, its easier to tell what character is saying what, and it can also give an impression of how the character speaks.
On this, I generally use clear line breaks and make sure not to just say "he said" or "she said" when alternating characters. Or just do my best to make it clear who is saying or doing what.

"Sort of like this," Marcus says, looking to Jonathan. He points to the post, making sure his student comprehends. "It is a fairly simple process."

Jonathan raises his hand, wanting to ask a question. "Basically, just make it obvious that you're switching between characters?" he asks, tilting his head to the side.

"That is correct, Jonathan," the teacher says.
I am Shinigami, the local God of Death.
Da Rules

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:54 pm

I never switch between characters in the same block of text. I usually like to delineate with bolded titles when I switch perspectives, as such:

PC 1

"yadda yadda," he said, doing this.

PC 2

"yadda yadda yadda," she added.
Swollen with a mantra that I've stolen from a thief.

Shinigami
Community Mod

Post by Shinigami » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Annasiel wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:54 pm
I never switch between characters in the same block of text. I usually like to delineate with bolded titles when I switch perspectives, as such:

PC 1

"yadda yadda," he said, doing this.

PC 2

"yadda yadda yadda," she added.
I also do this, though I find it tedious when alternating back and forth; such as when two of my characters have to interact.
I am Shinigami, the local God of Death.
Da Rules

Maxx
Platinum

Post by Maxx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Using different colors and stuff like that make it more obvious, and, like I said, can give an idea of what the character is like and all that.
"It's like this," said the female character. "Using a color like this gives the impression of a feminine, sweet character."
"And a red like this can give the impression of perhaps an angry character," adds another character.
"It draws more attention to the dialogue-"
"And allows you to alternate between characters-"
"Without having to constantly say 'X said to Y' or stuff like that."
Apologies to those I RP with. My phone has stopped working, so until I get a new one it will be quite difficult to post as frequently as I usually do. I'm extremely sorry but I hope to get a new one as soon as possible so I can get back to role play with you all properly.