Hold for an Audience: The Throne Room

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Hold for an Audience: The Throne Room

Post by Annasiel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:23 am

A little bit of the light in her eyes died at the mention of family, but her smile remained.

"I am grateful to hear it, Varian," she replied, settling back in her throne and tapping her fingers against the nail-marked arms. Her gaze wandered from the performer to the windows behind, letting the dying light through stained-glass shards in a rainbow of settling streams. "Speak to one of the guards doubtless listening from behind the door. They will lead you to the treasury. I have put my faith in you, Varian. Do not let me down."

With that, she gestured at the door.

"Now, be gone with you! Build me a wonder to rival Wrenhaven!"
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Trooper FN-86
Member+

Post by Trooper FN-86 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:31 am

"At once your majesty."

Varian replied with another over exaggerated bow before turning and heading for the door. Once there he stopped and knocked...just to mess with the guards on the other side. They seemed serious as always when they opened the door.

"You heard the lady. 500 swords and directions to a nice inn, if you please. I have much to do."
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:39 am

"Of course, ser," the guard said with a slight tuck of his head. He seemed uncertain, but a quick glance to his partner steeled his face. "Follow me."

Hefting his glaive over his shoulder, he strode purposefully down the hall, around the corner, and out of sight.

Gielban watched the men depart from her throne room doorway, tip of her thumb between her teeth. When they finally vanished, she turned to the remaining guard, who stared back blankly.

"Follow him," she muttered, "and make sure he spends it wisely. If he attempts to run with the coin at any time, arrest him and bring him to me. Is this clear?"

The guard nodded, returning her order with a stiff salute, then pursued down whence the two had departed. With another sigh, Gielban swept the hem of her chemise in a quick turn, again ascending the stairs and nestling in her throne. He was an old friend, yes. A familiar face. He made her smile, made her laugh, and promised her the world. But no faces could be trusted, the familiar least of all.

It was why her brother lay locked in his tower room.

It was why her father lay rotting in a grave.

Avalein
Bronze

Post by Avalein » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:08 am

IIyana, Laeroth had dismounted once let through the gate by the guards, a few choice ladies following behind her. Upon seeing the look Laeroth gave one of her ladies shook her head, following the messenger towards the throne room. Reaching the door she quickly straightened her gown and her headpiece before glancing over at Laeroth who gave her a encouraging smile as the doors to the throne room opened, listening as the messenger announce her and those who were with her.

Stepping forwarded into the throne room she smiled at Gielban taking a deep breath before starting to speak, " I bring greetings from the Kingdom of Isiuzia and my father King Arathorn. I believe you have met my captain of my personal guards, Laeroth earlier today when he delivered a letter to you." Hearing that Laeroth stepped forward a smile on his face, "it is good to see you again milady."
Elrond: There are some who would not deem it wise.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:19 am

"Ah!"

Gielban quickly rose from her throne at the mention of the letter, bouncing down the steps and snatching it off of her desk. She peeled it open as she climbed them again, eyes sweeping the page while she settled back into her seat.

"Ah."

She slowly refolded the piece of parchment, setting it gently on her armrest, then turned her gaze to the two newcomers.

"And how may I assist you in this endeavor, Princess Ilyana? Ser Laeroth?" She pressed a finger to the paper. "I am open to negotiations over trade, but I will not embroil myself in the politics of other lands, and hold no sympathy for plights outside my borders. What do you hope to gain by mentioning your half-brother?"

Avalein
Bronze

Post by Avalein » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:32 am

IIyana looked quickly at Laeroth who nodded comforting to her, "my half brother Rael is believed to have murdered my mother and has pinned it on me. He and my step mother have turned my own father against me. If i return it is likely they will try and show that I am the one who is at fault and I could be thrown in jail or worse." She paused, "all i ask is to stay within Azuria for my safety as well as some of my household, plus if i were to return he would just pin everything that i have done to better the kingdom of IsIuzia on himself. Before he took over it was my father's wish to create a trade agreement with Azuria, and I intend to do that if not for my father for those people in IsIuzia who still support my claim to the throne."

Laeroth nodded watching IIyana, he knew that it was hard for her to speak of what had happened before they had departed. "we have goods that Azuria does not have, fine fabrics, as well as rare gems and fruits, and other items." He then nodded to those that had come with them. "To show what we have to offer we have gifts for you and those of your court."
Last edited by Avalein on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:43 am

As the girl spoke, Gielban's eyes narrowed. She'd remembered the situation being messy, from the snippets she had gained off Laeroth before, but this sounded like the brink of possible war. And here was the underdog, running to her for comfort and sanctuary. She could tell her to leave. Tell her she didn't want to risk her people over another country's disputes. She could, but she wasn't sure she was able to, not in good conscience. Still...

"How do you hope to finalize this agreement if, as you say, you hold no power in the Isluzian court?" She shifted forward in her seat. "You ask for sanctuary here, which implies you have no intention of returning. What authority do you hold, Princess Ilyana?"

Avalein
Bronze

Post by Avalein » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:55 am

Seeing Gielban's eyes narrowed, IIyana looked at the ground, before remembering the ring that her father had given her before his attitude had changed towards her, "I am still have my father's seal he gave it to me before he changed his attitude towards me." pulling it out, and I heard many times my father speak to his advisors about me marrying a noble within a Azuria."

As she paused Laeroth quickly jumped in, "she still holds some power, just that as a princess and not as a heir to the throne. Please forgive her current state, she has been through a lot as of late. And she does need protection from her step mother Queen Ravarona whom her father married, she is known for such things as this."

Laeroth looked over at IIyana, he knew that she was stronger then what she let on, he also had seen what Queen Ravarona could do to those who were a threat to her and her son's throne. He thankfully had not been chosen by her as her personal guard and the rumors that he had heard were not good even if he were to return, "people are disappearing daily," He had lost many of his companions when Queen Ravarona had purged the royal guards so only those that supported her and her son's rule were left in the palace, he had watched as all that supported his lady went into hiding with the fear of being found out and thrown in jail or spied on. Even he had to keep his lady out of sight of Queen Ravarona for the fear of something happening to her.

He then pointed to the pile of gifts that IIyana's servants had brought in. "these are for you and those of your court, as well as some special gifts for you and Ser Blackwell."

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:34 pm

"I will ask again," Gielban said, gaze shifting to the ring. "If you do not intend to return to your kingdom, how do you hope to secure this deal you propose?"

She shifted back in her throne, folding her hands over her knees. It was just a girl. There was no doubt she was innocent in this, though the man, Laeroth, could hold a hand in the discord's machinations. What he could gain by keeping the princess from her kingdom, Gielban couldn't tell, but she was wholly unwilling to commit to a side without understanding the full picture.

When she spoke again, her voice was gentler.

"If your... stepmother... is a danger to you and all who support you, how can you be certain you have any power in your court at all? Especially if you have fallen out of favor with the king. You come to me under the potential of pretense, promising things I do not know you can commit." She sighed. Her gaze lowered to the floor, and her fingers steepled. "I suppose I will allow you protection. Do not bring war to my step, child. If I see any sign of conflict, I will reconsider my offer thoroughly."

Avalein
Bronze

Post by Avalein » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:53 pm

IIyana looked at Laeroth giving him a stern look before looking back at Gielban, "you have my word that war will not be brought to Azuria, if I am no longer considered a threat to my half brother and stepbrother then they will have no reason to bring war to Azuria." A smile appearing on her face before growing serious again, "if my stepmother were to send diplomats they do not have anything to show you what could be traded."

Yrlissa looked calmly at Gielban, "she can send the trade agreement to one of her uncles once it is completed, as she does have power in her court and her uncle can unsure that only her father see's it. Also Laeroth is trying to protect IIyana as he has lived longer then her and knows what dangers she faces better then even she does, if she was to return. They both see each other as a threat, to the other's claim to the throne, plus she has brought what her kingdom can trade with Azuria. You would get a fair enough trade from her then from her stepmother's diplomats who will just bring threats if she did not return with them, as well you would not know what the kingdom has to offer in trade to Azuria as she was exiled when my charge was young."