[1x1] Gilded Cage (High Voltage)

Killer Ice Cream
Member+

[1x1] Gilded Cage (High Voltage)

Post by Killer Ice Cream » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:57 am

Visiting a Patriscon slave market is often like visiting a carnival for the rich; Men and women decorated in shiny, glittering jewels mingled back and forth intermittently at any given auction event and expensive food would sit in elegant little stalls just begging to be eaten. Slaves would often be on display in sleek glass cages, freshly scrubbed clean and decorated with glitter or jewelry to catch the eyes of passersby. Exotic harpies with brilliant plumage were made to spread their wings for anyone looking their way, Nekos and Kitsunes given bells and bows to look adorable on plush velvet pillows, fairies in delicate outfits tied to thin iron chains flying above the crowd, lamias dressed in gypsy clothing were made to dance under lights that made their scales shimmer and more.

The slaves in the front were almost always ones already born into slavery, it was all they'd ever known so they were naturally much more docile. These were the ones actively on display and made to please the crowds.

If you wanted something a little more challenging, a little more wild, and less broken...

You went to the back of any shop, and there you would usually find those born free.

As the fading light of the sun kissed her pale, wrinkly cheeks through the window of her car, Lady Elizabeth watched the world roll by out of her window as her driver headed towards the market. The reddening sky bounced it's brilliant hues off of the golden sky scrapers piercing the sky and they looked as though they were on fire in the sunset's glow. She smiled, briefly being reminded of her granddaughter's brilliant hair before the car stopped, and her face fell back into it's signature, wrinkly scowl. "We're here ma'am." The driver said kindly in his deep, rich voice.

"I can see that." She replied tartly, earning a small chuckle before he got out of the car to help her with her door which she gracefully accepted. They were in the parking lot closest to the festivities, and the hanging lights and sparkling people were just past the dull, bleak parking lot. She immediately disliked the loud noise but had grown used to it, Lady Elizabeth had visited several others looking for a companion for herself but none of them had seemed right for her. She fervently hoped whatever she was looking for was here, but refused to settle if it wasn't. She is just too particular for that.

HighVoltage
Bronze

Re: [1x1] Gilded Cage (High Voltage)

Post by HighVoltage » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:30 am

I wonder if I could shatter that glass and kill myself.

This thought was not a new one. Since he had arrived at the slave market a week ago, Orwell had thought of several plants to take his own life, each just as unlikely to succeed as the last. Day in and day out he was crammed into this glass prison and shoved into some gaudy, flowy outfit that was an unconscious mockery of his attire back in H'an. The inside of the cube was stuffy, and the smells of food wafting over him made his stomach growl, anticipating the meager meal that came once the day had ended and the market had closed.

At least the back was somewhat quieter than the front. All the ones who had been bred into it, already broken, already accepting their fates and their new lives, gleefully subservient. At least the ones trapped in the back were like him. Captured against their will. But then again, others weren't exactly like him. Among the menagerie there was only one other lamia, her rose gold scales flashing brilliantly in the light. She had no issues in her cage, twisting herself around and beckoning over shoppers. The older and more affluent they appeared, the thicker she laid the charm. It was disgusting, but she'd found her way to make it in this place.

Orwell had a more practical approach: intimidation. After all, if nobody wanted to buy him, the slave drivers would eventually let him go. He'd have the last laugh, and he'd get off this putrid rock and back to the salt-soaked streets of H'an. Every single person who came to gawk at him received the same treatment. No showing off, no display of skill. Just a pair of yellow eyes burning into their own, the black slits of pupil following their every move. He occasionally flicked his forked tongue out at them, just to provoke a reaction. He barely answered any questions, giving curt and direct answers. The less he interacted with the filth trying to buy him, the better.

And it worked, nobody stayed interested in him longer than 10 minutes.

They'll set me free in no time.
Sandbox Characters: Afvaldr Ljung, Lily Pond

SandboxLore: Where Does Rage Come From?

Killer Ice Cream
Member+

Post by Killer Ice Cream » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:20 am

The older woman walked slowly down the market's street, her flat shoes the quietest in the crowd. She eyed the dancing and flitting slaves with a blank expression, for once not really knowing what she was actually looking for. She knew what she didn't want, these sappy and meek slaves dancing desperately for her attention received a blank look when they beckoned to her, and her driver beside her only chuckled. He had accompanied her on each excursion, and by this point believed he understood what she needed. That's why last night he had visited this market after Lady Elizabeth had announced her intentions to visit this one today.

After asking around, he heard of a very stubborn new arrival and was immediately intrigued, and he was hopeful she would be too. He knew though that if she believed it was his idea she would never go for it, so he just made it a point to try get her into the back. If he was correct, she would do the rest.

Sure enough, they reached one vendor selling his slaves with a shimmering rose gold lamia in front. Her dancing and twirling nearly drove Lady Elizabeth away immediately, but her driver laid a gentle hand on her elderly shoulder. "Perhaps we should go in this one. I see an awful lot of green colors in the back." Indeed, a green harpie and fairy were just visible past the rows of other cages, and the merchant suddenly perked up. "Yes yes! We have lots of green here today-"

"Shut up fool. You don't need to sell anything to me. If I want it I'll buy it, if I don't I wont. No fancy lip smacking will do a damn thing with me." She cut him off tartly, her words visibly making the man flinch and he bowed, a fake smile plastered to his face. "Yes, of course. I'll be here if you have any questions then."

The regal older lady nodded, satisfied she had successfully shut him up, and began walking down the first row. Her emerald rings shimmered as she passed the display lights, and calculating green eyes raked each slave as she walked. "Too pink, too dumb, too happy..." She remarked as she walked past, the eager faces falling under her ridicule.

This went on for several of the rows, she was barely glancing at them before, near the very back, a defiant pair of yellow eyes locked on to her green ones. They drew her in, despite their clear intention to push her away, and she moved to stand in front of his cage. The merchant tried to speak again. "Oh, no, this one has been very troublesome-"

A wrinkled old hand covered in rings cut him off. "Quiet fool." Was all she said, and he shut up immediately, an irritated look on his face. Lady Elizabeth stared back at the defiant, still lamia, her stubborn gaze challenging his.

HighVoltage
Bronze

Post by HighVoltage » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Orwell was simply bored. There wasn't much to do when you weren't staring down people. He heard the fat bastard who was responsible for selling him talking with someone and brought himself up from the relaxed position he'd been in. Lazy slaves some may take for a cheap price to whip into shape. Defiant slaves, however, were undesirables. And Orwell wanted to be as undesirable as possible

He heard an old woman walking through, wearing jewelry that clanked with her steps. The fat man tried to woo her, use his honeyed tongue, but she seemed unswayed by it. He chuckled slightly as she heard her talk back to him. A rich bitch with a bite? This should be a good one. As she stepped into the back, her eyes zeroed in on his and he regarded her with a look of haughty indifference. Her emerald eyes burned into his golden ones, occasionally blinking, but never looking away. The others shifted uncomfortably, clearly not wanting to break the silence between the slave and the old bitch.

After what felt like, ages Orwell couldn't help but smirk. "I'm impressssssed. Nobody elssse has met my gaze for ssso long. Mossst jussst give up after a few sssecondsss. They find it uncomfortable. Ssso that makesss you a tough old bat, I sssuppossse."

His voice rasped out like sandpaper against stone, and his eyes still never left the old woman's.
Sandbox Characters: Afvaldr Ljung, Lily Pond

SandboxLore: Where Does Rage Come From?

Killer Ice Cream
Member+

Post by Killer Ice Cream » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:14 am

Something about this defiant snake made her blood boil, his piercing gaze was like an echo of the past and it made her want to smack him. He was perfect. Even the way he exaggerated his s sounds to drive her away made the grumpy old lady smile. She'd never admit though, so her face went back to a scowl as he smirked. "A tough old bat, eh? No one's been brave enough to tell me that before." She said lightly, fighting back another grin as the merchant looked absolutely horrified at the lamia's words.

Her driver just smiled, and watched the two stare each other down. He knew it. The only bad thing is the poor guy didn't even know acting this way is what will get him sold to the richest lady on this side of the river. Finally the merchant regained his composure and began stammering apologies. "I-I'm so s-sorry Madame, our slaves are usually much b-better mannered than this. He must need further t-training-"

He couldn't continue any longer, his blood pressure was clearly reaching a boiling point and he had to stop to hyperventilate. Lady Elizabeth just chuckled at him, waving her shiny hand dismissively. "You worry too much, fool." She turned attention back to the lamia, and looked at the name on the very corner of the cage. "Orwell, huh? Awful name, but better than nothing." She said matter-of-factly, hoping to get a reaction. His emerald green scales and surly expression matched her green dress and scowl, and the driver finally moved over to the merchants side, placing a soothing hand on his back to calm him down. "Don't worry. This will be over soon." The man shook his head and finally stood back up, and Elizabeth finally tore her gaze away from the glass cage after the lamia's response, her words echoing in the nearly silent room now as all the slaves had settled to watch the spectacle at this point. "How much?"