The Thirteenth Hour

Poetic Ghost

Re: The Thirteenth Hour

Post by Poetic Ghost » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:45 am

“Oh, nice!” Sho has said eagerly as he moved towards the doors with the others, but before he could enter, a man blocked the doorway with his wheelchair.. it was Mr. Okawa. His eyes were glued to his watch, and Sho hoped that he wasn’t upset about their timing. As he began to speak, Sho began formulating a response to his question, but chuckled along with him, albeit a bit confused.

He followed close behind the teacher, but never moved the others around him. Sho could tell that Okawa’s time was important, and he wouldn’t want to waste it with unnecessary talk or daudling. He wanted to know the truth, he wanted to know what the old teacher was keeping from him and the children. What was the key to their abnormality? Why did he wish to share it with them, and of what use was Sho to this man.

As they entered the classroom, Sho felt a little pulse in the back of his mind, a wonder as to the nature of this man, and what was the response that he wanted from this question..

Sho answered first, but assumed he was the most confused. “I don’t feel very tired.. why do you ask, Mr. Okawa?” He asked in reply, and comfortably pushed his glasses higher on his nose.
~~ You are but a grain of sand, in the sands of time. ~~

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:15 am

Hayate's heart skipped a beat as he went to follow the other students who were on their way inside, and before them stood-- sat?-- Mr. Okawa himself.
He couldn't let him know how he felt. Hayate, as much as he wanted to be enthralled why the situation as others may have been, was just worried.
What did the man want with them, and why was his excitement even more worrying?

Hayate shook his head to refocus himself before he moved forth. His eyes were glued to the ground as he remained perplexed; but he forced himself to keep them leveled. He took a deep silent breath before he went inside the classroom, following and followed by the other students.

He looked to the edges of the silent and dark classroom, an atmosphere that in no way helped him calm down. Especially so with their teacher asking such an out of place question.
Of course they would be tired! It's almost midnight!
Maybe Hayate wasn't quite as tired because of his stress revolving the situation, but that did not mean he was energized like he just finished a beauty sleep.

He looked at the empty desks, searching them for means of... protection.
He hoped he wouldn't need them-- WHY DID HE THINK HE DID?!

Ignoring the intrusive thoughts, Hayate slowed his breath to slow his heavily beating heart as his eyes fell to the ground, before returning to glare as apathetically as he could at the teacher.
He would not reply to that question.
“sorry i cant hear you over the sound of me running headfirst into a concrete wall” - Shaw

“Fuck your cloud of blueberry lies” - Fang

“I had a chungus tea once. It was a chunky boi. I chucked my change at Charles who chucked up chunks of chungus chai.” - Ser

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:14 pm

"If you live among wolves you must act like a wolf." Taylor remarked in response she wasn't sure why it was the first thing to come to mind. She wasn't a history major and barely knew anything about Sovients in particular but something about that quote just seemed to register with her. She didn't think she'd like any of those people but the line really clicked with her, and also reminded her a bit of her favorite stuffed animal to weirdly enough. "That said the more common saying involves not biting hands or something." The punk remarked hoping it helped distinguish people just being people in all there flaws from actual opposition. Didn't mean her friend didn't storm off though leaving the punk to just fiddle with her crimson dyed bangs before approached soon after.

Taylor wasn't sure she really had an answer to that, seemed right to try though. "I think she's sweet, it's just more comforting to be strong. Sometimes though strength isn't in snapping back but knowing when not to." And that was all sounding way to anime or movie like for her cool exterior. If she kept that up she might seem more weeb then punk so she was quick to just gesture towards heading into the room. Sticking close to the classmate she knew but doing her best to keep her focus on whatever the teacher was going to say.

"More curious then tired. Assuming this is real I'd rather not sleep through it." That felt strangely weird to say to her though as it sounded like that was where they did go or something when they dreamed. Maybe they were supposed to be tired? She figured she'd just try to shut up and listen.

Someguy500

Post by Someguy500 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Despite her trendy clothing and the punkish way she wore them, this other girl was pretty nice. She explained her friend's behaviour while not really denying that it wasn't exactly the best reaction. It certainly felt better than getting huffed at, that was for sure. Yuu was about to introduce herself when who else to show up at the door than Mr. Okawa, the person who'd invited them all here in the first place. Were they that late? They did get lost a while, maybe it was longer than she'd thought. He didn't seem too mad, at least.

===

The teacher sounded eager, no, excited to tell them about that other place. Following along with her sister as they found a spot to sit in the classroom, though, Rin couldn't help but hang onto something he said.

"...And much more to see that cannot be done away with mere discussion!"

The phrase stuck out to Rin, in the gloom. Only the teacher's face was illuminated in a single, dim light, his features casting shadows that lent an unkindness to his smile. What would he show them? What did it have to do with the other place? She wanted to know, but her mouth went dry just thinking about it. Reaching for her sister's hand, she squeezed it tight.

One look at her sister told Yuu everything, and a few whispered words told her the rest. Smartly raising her other hand, she asked, "We're not tired, but why do you ask, sir?"
Last edited by Someguy500 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annasiel wrote:"Started playing Pumped Up Kicks and singing along while chopping shit with a huge knife

I was the only white person in the room"

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 am

“Well, sounds like we need to get a move on then,” Kiwako said with a grin to the other two girls as Mr Okawa made his appearance. With a easy wave of her newly bandaged hand Kiwako stepped through the gate and made her way over to the group as they followed Okawa back into the school building. Her night felt like it had been bumped off the rails after Sayuri had accidently run into her, but it seemed now that they were finally back on track to get some of the answers she had been hoping to learn after that odd meeting after school. She fell into step near the back of the pack soon enough, thoughts of it being something their teacher had to show to them rather than explain to them brining a frown to her lips.

A short walk down the hallway brought them to a classroom, where Kiwako took a space of empty wall near the door to lean against. She cocked her head at the seemingly odd question the teacher asked once everyone had gotten settled into place. She listened for a moment as some of the other students gave their answers as she attempted to understand what it was Okawa was looking for with this question. Was it just because they had all gathered at midnight? Like just trying to break the ice?

Whatever, it didn’t seem like it was worth worrying about.

“I don’t know, I don’t think I’m any more tired than I usually am at this hour.” Kiwako said, rolling a strand of hair around her index finger.
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

AnimuGirlVoiceLebi

Post by AnimuGirlVoiceLebi » Thu May 09, 2019 11:26 pm

Lydia stared wide-eyed at the teacher as he sat in front of her staring at his watch. She stared at him until what felt like a lifetime and he finally looked up from his watch. She wanted to interject and correct him but could not find the words, especially when she recalled the there were others around her.

After they had reached the classroom Mr. Okawa had begun talking again. Lydia blushed lightly thinking that he may have seen her and Taylor earlier and abruptly called out, "T-tired?! Why would we be tired?" She then quickly hmph'd and turned away while making her way to a far, but still very close to the light, seat.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 am

Most flat-out denied it. Some expressed curiosity in the face of such a question, and others chose not to answer at all.

All the while, Okawa's smile did not falter, a grim rictus in the dim lighting of the classroom, cast in contoured shadows like the grinning teeth of a skull. His hands moved under the desk. Minute gestures, as if shuffling something from palm to palm. After the last question, Lydia's stern denial, died in the open air, he slowly moved his hands up for everyone in the room to see.

A deck of cards. Old, worn around the edges, marked on the back with craquelers of dusted gold. Not an ordinary deck, either. Smaller. Maybe twenty cards, give or take.

Twenty-two.

Still taking his time, still sitting silent, the teacher began to peel a card off the top of the deck one by one, laying them face-up on the table for everyone to see.

"The Fool," he said, eyes flitting to Kiwako. "The card of new beginnings. Your journey may be harder than most."

Another turn.

"The Lovers." He was now looking at Sho. "The card of passion and choice. A man of heart, eh?"

Another.

"The Wheel of Fortune." He chuckled slightly at this, with a quick glance to Hayate. "The card of fate. Do you feel lucky?"

Two this time, in quick succession.

"The Emperor and The Empress." His smile widened as he looked to the twins. "Divine masculinity and femininity. Control and creation. I am unsurprised."

Another flip as his eyes fell on Lydia.

"Strength, the card of confidence. Ironic, though I suppose it fits in its own charming way."

Another.

"The High Priestess. The card of intuition." He turned to face Sayuri. "Easy to follow your whims when you do little to fetter them."

Another.

"The Chariot. The card of willpower." Now he was looking to Eiko. "Stubbornness can be a virtue, no?"

He flipped one last card from the deck, stowing the rest beneath the desk. His gaze shifted to Taylor.

"And the Moon. The card of secrets. Mystery. Deception. Are you hiding something, dear?"

Another chuckle. The atmosphere of the room had shifted during his milling, from something neutral to something far more sinister. The air seemed cold enough that breath should fog, and the darkness around the edges of the room, once merely present, turned sharp and ominous lurkers watching the gathered crowd. Mr. Okawa pushed each of the nine cards forward, motioning at the students.

"Please, take them. Look at the pictures. Study the art. I find the art of tarot just as fascinating as the symbolism, most times, and this deck is no exception. In fact -- you might even call this deck special."
I look in the water and fear what I see
I know it's no stranger but I know it's not me
My life is a lie that was uttered in jest
If I can't change at all, let me rest

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:34 pm

If this were a horror movie, would this be the moment where everyone would be yelling at their screens? It definitely felt like the set-up of some b-rate horror flick, ’Crazy Teacher 4: My Homeroom Teacher is an Axe Murderer?’ or some such piece of cinematic cheese. Still, Kiwako didn’t particularly feel unsafe, weirded out maybe, but mostly curious. The late night meeting, the tarot cards, the hidden meanings. It all seemed as farcical as it did sincere.

And, despite it all, it did seem sincere.

Kiwako’s eyes twitched around the room, attempting to judge reactions in the gloom. Had the room always been this dark? The shadows so deep? She shivered as she returned her attention back to the teacher.

No one else was moving.

Drawing a breath in Kiwako stepped forward, and walked quickly to the front of the class. She reached out as she drew near, and with a careful hand she plucked up the card. Worn with age and use, edges soft and frayed.

“And what makes it special?” She asked.

She turned the card over in her hand.

0 - The Fool
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:47 am

Hayate followed the teacher now that he began moving. His smile seemed undoubtedly off. Hayate however could not tell whether it was fake or simply unnatural for the current events.
It did not fade as he rummaged through his desk looking for what amounted to a storebought pack of cards.
What was worse was how deadpan his reaction to everyone not buying Okawa-san's nonsense was. It was a creepy question and as such got appropriate responses.

He went around the room, giving one card to each student.
Hayate was third.

Hearing his comments on the other two, Kiwako and Sho, Hayate was able to gather this wasn't a Poker deck.
And true enough when his turn came along the card he got was hardly the joker but the Wheel of Fortune.
It was a weird card. It was a busy card.
It had 4 or 5 animals depending on what you would call an animal, and a demon and an angel. And an appropriately fitting wheel.
Which apparently had something to do with fortune.
It had a while bunch of symbols and Hayate was not going to figure it out tonight.
But at least having a fortunate-sounding card was good.
Maybe.

Honestly it was the exact opposite. It reminded him just how uncertain this whole... thing was. And how helpless he felt.
Even though this should be okay. This is the school he always goes to. These are normal students. And this is a normal creepy-ass teacher who has Tarot cards to spare and calls kids in the middle of the night.
Normal.

Hayate flipped the card over with his index and middle fingers, examining the designs on either side. He glanced back up at the teacher, feigning the slightest smile he could to reassure the teacher, or at least not piss him off any further.
He hated feeling like this. He knew the world wasn't against him. But still he felt wrong being there.
Like he was in the scene of a crime he didn't commit right before the police show up.
Whatever. Regardless, he had already moved on.
“sorry i cant hear you over the sound of me running headfirst into a concrete wall” - Shaw

“Fuck your cloud of blueberry lies” - Fang

“I had a chungus tea once. It was a chunky boi. I chucked my change at Charles who chucked up chunks of chungus chai.” - Ser