Can We Keep Him? [Closed]

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Can We Keep Him? [Closed]

Post by illirica » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 pm

"Take a little time before you worry about school," Kelly's mother advised. "We can get you registered and talk to some of the social workers at the school and see where your aptitudes are. A lot of kids transitioning from, ah, homeschooling to public education will have areas where they're ahead of other students and areas where they're behind. We can figure out what classes would best suit your current levels of teaching."

Kelly nodded, that made sense. Arin seemed smart and all, but she had no idea what he'd actually been taught. She couldn't really see the super-secret organization that had recruited him to pilot the ARMADA being very particular about, say, the capital of New Hampshire. Not that Kelly actually remembered what the capital of New Hampshire was, but she was vaguely aware of having learned it at one point. "Solar is... I don't know. It's kinda hard to describe," she said, agreeably. "Like, I can feel it. It's always there. But it doesn't really feel bad. It's kinda like... like picking up a picture book. I know I can read Pride and Prejudice or whatever, and I don't forget that I can do it, but at the moment I'm just sorta more focused on, like, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie."

"We moved here when Kelly was six," her mother put in. There was more to that conversation, but she didn't add to it right now - that was Kelly's story, and she didn't know how much of it she was sharing. Knowing Kelly, probably most of it. She'd never been the most private person - except about the superhero thing - but even that secret hadn't lasted all that long.

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Gestalt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:17 am

Arin nodded his head, glad that there was a procedure to it all and he wouldn't just be left scrambling before something hit him and he froze up for a moment. "Oh... um, maybe we should wait a moment before doing that then. Doing any registration might not be a great idea... at least not right now."

With everything that had happened, he didn't know how safe it was putting his name down in any governmental documents. He was now tied to two pretty major disasters, and he wouldn't be surprised if his information was out there now. Especially seeing how the only system keeping that from happening wasn't around anymore. Maybe the chances were slim, but he still didn't want to think about another group of soldiers coming for him, only to arrive at this house and fire as indiscriminately as they did last time.

He didn't know if right now was the best time to have the conversation, but he'd feel guilty if he didn't at least start it. They were willing to look after him, so at the very least they deserved to know why and how it had gotten to this point. So putting down his half-eaten sandwich on his plate he straightened up slightly before turning to Ms. Sanderson.

"I'm not sure how much Kelly has told you, but that might not be entirely my fault, but I can't say I couldn't have done better. I made a lot of mistakes, and for a while, I thought I was one of them. But, Kelly really helped me, more then I can ever put into words." He was starting to choke up a little, but he nevertheless kept speaking, keeping his composure as his tone began to waver. "Her being there, even after everything really meant a lot to me, and I can't thank her enough. I know that doesn't change what I've done, but I don't want you to think that I'm trying to hide here, or escape punishment. I just want to try again, and have a normal life."
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 am

"You just need a good alias," Kelly said, "I don't know anything about forging documents. I bet I know someone who does, though..."

"Kelly Margaret!"

"What? It's for a good cause, mom! I'm not making a fake ID for buying alcohol or anything!" It totally was, too, and Kelly was pretty sure she could find someone to fix that up. Those Foundation people definitely could, but she didn't think she wanted them anywhere near Arin. Who else did she know that would be good at that? Ms. Xanders would have been, but she was kind of gone a little bit off the weird end right now. A lot off the weird end. No, probably not her. Annabelle. Annabelle would totally know someone.

"Absolutely not, young lady," her mother interrupted that train of thought, just as it was getting somewhere with potential.

Kelly started to argue, then sighed. "Okay. Okay. Fine." It still would have been a good cause, though. "We'll work it out somehow, Arin. I promise. I just don't know anything about how to do all this normal stuff."

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Gestalt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:54 am

A good alias... huh, that might work. Kind of like a secret identity. Except instead of being a man by day and a hero by night, he was more like a domestic terrorist with his real identity and a normal boy with his fake. Yeah, that might get kind of weird... and confusing. "Maybe I could just change Arin with an A to Erin with an E. That'd be pretty simple." Though he had the sneaking suspicion it might not be that easy.

Though the idea didn't go on much longer before Kelly's mother shut it down, a move that he had to, unfortunately, agree with. It was a good idea, but breaking the law might not be the best way to go about it. Better to brainstorm a bit more before committing to that. Still... that didn't mean they couldn't save it as a hail mary. Just in case. He was sort of curious on how she knew someone who could make fake ids, but maybe that wasn't the best question to ask in front of her mom.

"Thanks for the idea anyway, but I'm sure there's another way to tackle the problem. Maybe even a legal one." He said with a grin. It was fine, it was going to work out. Even if it wasn't immediately obvious, he believed her.

Besides, they had a bit of time, they didn't have to figure out an answer right now. Rome wasn't built in a day, although it probably wasn't a good idea to think about how it'd been destroyed in one. He didn't even know if he was ready for school, even beyond how much he knew. Better to start simple, with the easy stuff. Like with the fact that he was still pretty hungry. So he picked up the rest of his sandwich and finally finished it off.

"Once we figure that out though, I'd like to get a job of some kind. I wouldn't feel right living here if I couldn't cover some of my expenses. Plus it seems like a normal thing for a teenager to have."
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:18 pm

"We'll figure that out," Kelly's mom stated, with the sagacity of one who knew that it might not be that important to her, but it was important to him. "Focus on getting your feet under you first, though."

"It might not actually be as hard as we think," Kelly said. She'd been quiet for a while, eating her sandwich and listening, "I mean, like, the Thing is gonna be all over the news by tomorrow anyway, and everyone will know you left with me, right? So, like... what if we just don't hide it? What if we just be like 'Hey, yep, that's the way it is now!' and act like it's nbd, you know? I don't know if it'll work or not, but if it did, it'd sure make things easier. And if we can just get past the initial part, the excitement will fade. There's always something else going on in the world, something else will catch people's interest. Just be... you know, boring. Not that you're boring! Because you're not, but, like, just... oh, you know what I mean."

He probably did, too. It wasn't like Kelly was particularly hard to understand, even if he didn't have that weird mental connection - which, very fortunately, seemed like it only worked sometimes. It probably wouldn't work at all in Solar City, but it wasn't like Kelly was gonna poke him to find out. Or maybe it would work in Solar City - it might be low key enough to slide under the dampener's radar. Probably best not to mention it anyway, because it was weird. And people might think they were gonna cheat on tests or something. And it was weird. Not that she minded, really! Arin was her friend. And she was glad to help him. But. It was weird.

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Gestalt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 pm

"Yeah," Arin said with a small nod of his head, "Basic stuff first."

Doing nothing... huh. It sounded a little too easy, but Kelly wasn't wrong. With everything going on, people tended to forget about things pretty quickly. It felt like a weird thing to rely on, but it might work. No matter how important or dire it felt like right now, give it a bit of time and anything will blow over. It would also be hard to get around everyone knowing where he was. Even if he got a fake identity, it would be pretty hard to convince people that he was just someone who looked identical to Arin, sounded identical to him and lived with the person who'd rescued him, but wasn't Arin. Maybe just letting it happen was the right call.

"Yeah, I get you, if boring means not having everyone's attention on me then I'm fine with that. Being 'boring' sounds pretty perfect to me." He felt like boring was underrated. As long as you were happy being boring didn't matter all that much.

"How was it for you when the whole world found out about your identity?" He asked, partly because it was likely the closest things to what would happen if they didn't try to hide his identity, and partly because he was pretty curious himself. He hadn't gotten a chance to ask her about it when it all happened. He'd been concerned, but there was so much going on that he hadn't really had the chance. After Aberdeen, things had been hectic, too hectic to have a real conversation. Just sitting and talking without any immediate threat was a nice change of pace.
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 pm

"Ohhhhhh my gosh, it was a tragedy," Kelly said, folding her arms and putting her head down on them on the table. "I just about died." She sat up again, apparently none the worse for having 'just about died' - but then again, most people who knew Kelly knew she had just a bit of a tendency to be melodramatic. "School was the worst. Like, for real. People were, like, looking at me and stuff and my friend Amy was so mad at me 'cause I hadn't told her, and, like, of course I hadn't told her because, it's a secret identity and you can't just tell that to people but she was all 'we were BFFs since third grade' and I felt really bad about that and my teachers are like, so not sympathetic about getting homework done. And neither are my parents!"

"Have you done your homework?" her mother asked, seeming amused and not buying into Kelly's tragic tale of woe in the slightest.

"Yes, I totally did my homework! I even do it early now in case something comes up and I have to go save the world! This is what I've become! The sort of person who does their homework early. It's a tragedy, Arin. It is literally the worst." She reached over, picking up a leftover slice of tomato, gesturing with it with complete calm, a sudden shift. "Rest of the world, like, eh, no biggie though."

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Gestalt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:57 pm

A grin spread across Arin's face as he tried and failed to hide to stifle a laugh. Yet even as he struggled to contain his amused expression he stayed as silent as he could. Enraptured by her truly tragic tale, until the moment it was over. At which point he could hold it in no longer and he burst into a fit of laughter. Hard enough that his stomach began to hurt as he struggled to contain himself. Eventually, he managed to regain his composure, wiping his watering eyes before turning to Kelly.

"Hey now, it can't be all bad. I'm sure you can get superhero discounts somewhere." He said, placing a consoling hand on her shoulder as he tried to look as serious as he could manage.

Still, he was glad to see that she was taking it well... Or at least she was taking it in her signature Kelly way, which seemed like a pretty good way to take things. If all he had to worry about was doing his homework earlier that sounded pretty manageable. Tragic? Maybe, but manageable.

However no longer hungry, he finally felt the drowsiness begin to seep in and he failed to hold back a yawn. At the moment, it was still bright out, but he had the feeling he'd probably pass out the moment his head touched the pillow. At least that's what it felt like. He wanted to stay longer, but it wasn't as if everything would go away when he fell asleep. It wasn't a dream, he was actually going to live here. It was a bit of a trip to think about, but he couldn't help but smile whenever he did.

"If it's ok, I might want to go close my eyes for a bit. I'm starting to feel a bit tired."
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 am

"No one's offered me a superhero discount, actually," Kelly said. It would have been great if they did, though. Especially on on ice cream. He seemed pretty worn out. She guessed she couldn't blame him, what with the whole evil mind invasion stuff that had been going on. And the robot. And whatever else had been going on. And, like, honestly he hadn't been looking all that great for a while.

Rest would probably do him good. "Come on," she said, "I'll take you up to the spare room. You can crash as long as you need to. We'll sort the rest out later."

The aforementioned extra room was upstairs, at the end of the hallway. A bit on the small side, but not so small as to be a closet. It contained a single twin bed and a small chest of drawers, which was empty. "Do you need anything?" Kelly asked, "Or just wanna crash? 'Cause that's okay, but let me know if there's something I can get you."

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Gestalt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:46 am

Following Kelly he made his way to the guest room, casually looking around as he moved through the house. Getting to the room he sat down on the edge of the bed, the springs squeaking softly as he pressed his hands down into the mattress. Bouncing ever so slightly as he tested it. At the question of whether he needed anything else he shook his head, "I think I'll be fine, this is more than enough." The room was a bit bare, but he kind of liked that about it. He'd always been encouraged to decorate his living quarters, and that it'd be good for him. Yet he tended to like things to be a bit simpler.

There was quite a bit to sort out, but Kelly was right, it could come later. Right now he should just try his best to get a good nights sleep. Looking at the problems after resting would be easier.

"If your dad is anything like your mom then your parents are pretty cool," Arin said, leaning back and looking up at the ceiling. It had been a while since he'd laughed like that, and he was still grinning thinking back on it. "You guys seem to get along well, and I get the sense that they really care about you. It might not be that special... but I dunno, I think that's pretty cool."
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.