The Solar City After School Special - Solar City North High (Open)

Roleplay locations.
Sbelle

The Solar City After School Special - Solar City North High (Open)

Post by Sbelle » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 pm

How was I supposed to know? She started it! The hell do you mean how were you supposed to know. I'm in your head! You knew damn well you weren't supposed to. She put her hands on me first. You clocked her in the jaw! It's our first day! Why would you react to a gentle nudge with a roundhouse!? ... She asked if I got run over by the ugly truck. Annabelle chewed her sandwich quietly, watching as most of the students filtered off to catch their buses or walk home, Annabelle fuming at herself for... well, a disastrous first day at school. The lessons hadn't been too bad for her, as she was mostly playing catch up, but when lunch period came around, it all went to shit. One of the local bullies had decided to give the new girl a hard time, making fun of Annabelle for being so wrapped in bandages, the young woman still black and blue from the attempted murder of her in the mall ion the West coast, and Annabelle... had reacted poorly. This had put her on, what the principle called, 'thin ice'.

Worst case scenario, there were a bunch of other Solar City schools she could go to if she got kicked out of this one, but, Solar City North was a nice enough school. Finishing the last of her sandwich she looked around, noticing some of the after school activities groups were beginning to gather for their practice, the Northern Lights logo being one she recognized on that girl Kelly's uniform in the mall. She wondered where the girl was... she had been nice, enjoyable to talk to, she helped Annabelle feel normal. Giving a shake of her head though, she slipped from the bench, hissing lightly in pain as she gingerly touched at the wound on her side... still healing. Using the table as a crutch, she pushed off towards the stairs, grasping tightly at the railing as she made her way back down to where most of the students had gathered. It was a long trip home... maybe she'd go to the mall or something, see if she couldn't find someone to beat the hell out of her there. Not funny. It's kind of funny.

But just as she was imagining what hell she could find in California, she found one right here in school, in the form of two hands planted firmly to her back, shoving her down the last three steps to fall heavily on her front. Annabelle gave a loud cry of pain as she curled up on the floor, looking up to see what kind of bitch would do that! .. Oh, it was ... Bitch? No that wasn't her name was it. It was uh... We never got her name, you hit her way too quickly to learn it. Oh. She rolled slowly to her back, pushing herself up as she looked up at the bully, the other girl still sporting the bruised jaw from their earlier encounter. "That was for the cheap shot!" she scowled down at Annabelle.
"I think I popped a stitch..." Annabelle lamented, feeling the angry pulsing at her side, looking up at the girl. "Could you kindly go be a bitch somewhere else?" she asked, holding her side gingerly. Her newfound bully gave her a dirty look, as well as her two friends. Well, it was nice to be a normal teenager again, but she forgot that also meant .. this.
"Why are you such a bitch? You just got to this school and you're already causing problems. Where the hell are you even from?" her bully continued, knowing Annabelle had to sit there and take it. Boy... I could sure use a person of great moral standing right now. A hero perhaps. You've done this to yourself you know.
Characters: Annabelle King
"I'm just a gambler who wants to lose, and be allowed to leave."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: The Solar City After School Special - Solar City North High (Open)

Post by illirica » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:31 am

She'd done it.

It had been one of the singular most nerve-wracking experiences of her life, and that was including giant robots. She'd been tired of waiting for others to act, though, and so when Kelly Sanderson had decided she'd had enough, she'd beamed herself (haha, that was great) to the edge of Solar City, taken a deep breath, and walked through the dampening field.

Okay, so actually she'd stood there on the edge for like five minutes, but it sounded cooler to say she'd done it all in one go. And the dampener had... dampened her powers. As always. And that was all. She didn't instantly turn into a giant-robot-echo and start deciding to murder everyone, although the odd memories still popped up now and again. It seemed almost like they, too, were dampened inside the city boundaries. It was kind of a relief.

She'd made it through, though, and the next hard part had been seeing how much of her beloved city had been torn apart. People were rebuilding, but it would take time. Her house was okay, though, and when she'd admitted to her parents what she'd done, they'd been... relieved, she thought. They'd only grounded her for the afternoon for breaking the rules, which was totally not fair, but she'd borne it with quiet dignity and absolutely no stomping to her room to glower at her phone until dinnertime. They'd moved back home the next day... and the day after that, her parents had told her that she had to go back to school again.

And all of a sudden she had a new totally most nerve-wracking experience of her life. Kelly had been legit kind of dreading the idea since Aberdeen. Usually she liked school, but that was when she'd been just Kelly, secret identity totally intact. That was a bust, though, so now everyone totally knew who she was and it was gonna be totally awkward.

She was a superhero, she survived.

There were... comments, though. Whispers. Her math teacher had decided to just break the ice entirely with a curt "Yes, yes, we all know Kelly is a superhero. The question, ladies and gentlemen, is whether Kelly remembers the point-slope formula. Problem twenty-seven, on the board, please."

Very fortunately, she did remember the point-slope formula [y-y1 = m(x-x1)], and was able to complete problem twenty-seven satisfactorily, and after that it had honestly gotten much easier. Everyone kinda-sorta-not-talking about it had been the worst, and after that she was able to get through the rest of the morning without too much trouble.

She even survived English class, which was wrapping up with The Catcher In The Rye, which had not gotten any better in its 277 miserable pages. She'd actually finished reading it, because there had been no reason not to while she was stuck in the hospital, but the only good thing she could say about it was that now that she'd read it, she was never, ever, ever going to read it again.

Lunch wasn't bad either, she'd finally gotten to catch up with her friends, even if things were kind of weird and awkward with them. Some of them seemed to think it was cool, some of them weren't so sure, and Amy was kinda ticked off that Kelly hadn't told her, but... well, that was fair. It was kind of nice just to be Kelly again, or at least to be mostly Kelly.

She wasn't really looking for trouble on the stairwell, but it wasn't like she wasn't gonna notice when it happened. "Hey!" Pushing people down the stairs was not cool. "Maggie, knock it off! Leave her alone." 'Her' was apparently the new girl - Kelly had been so wrapped up in the whole awkward situation that she hadn't had time to figure out who the new girl even was. She wasn't really good at polite language, whoever she-

"...Annabelle?" The girl from Philadelphia! Man, that had been all sorts of weird. But what was she doing here? And she looked like she needed to be in a hospital a whole lot more than Kelly did, that was for sure. "Hey, you okay? Need to go down to the nurse's office?"

Sbelle

Post by Sbelle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:27 am

Annabelle was glowering up at her bully silently, the throbbing in her side becoming worse, If I have to go back to the hospital... I swear to God... she thought to herself, sighing heavily. She pushed herself up a little more, before sliding back down to the ground, everything still hurt, particularly her hand, which she had used to punch this girl earlier. Bobbie had told her she'd have to change her attitude when coming to school, but clearly that was easier said than done. She glared as the taller girl approached her, before a voice called out... a very familiar voice. "Maggie, knock it off! Leave her alone!" Annabelle blinked past 'Maggie', looking up the top of the stairs to where... wait, Kelly? She watched the familiar girl approach, as Maggie turned on the spot, scowling and about to get into whoever it was interrupting her!

Only for Maggie to blanch white, the girl looking suddenly very nervous as Kelly approached her. The Superhero herself. She swallowed, giving Annabelle a dirty look before she snapped her gaze back to Kelly. "F-Fine... I was done with her anyway," she spoke, making a clear excuse as to why she didn't want to butt heads with the hero of Solar City North herself. She gave Annabelle one final dirty look, wondering who the hell she was to both be in such a terrible state, and know someone like Prism herself. Maggie twisted on a foot, stomping around Annabelle, leaving the two to their own devices.

"Sure... done with me," she teased at Maggie's back, pushing herself against the wall as for the first time, she was actually glad to see a Superhero. She looked up at Kelly, giving her a bit of a glum smile, before rolling up her button up shirt a bit, looking at the bandage around her stomach. She touched it lightly, shaking her head, "No... I think I'm ok, thanks Kelly," she said gently, trying to pull herself up by the railing, clearly struggling a touch. "My foster mother is a nurse, she'll look at it later," she promised.. lying just a little bit. She lived alone, but one of Bobbies contacts was an underground surgeon, and she was keeping tabs on Annabelle.

She slipped back to the floor giving herself an annoyed look, before she looked up at Kelly with a slightly defeated look, "Uh... could you help me up? Otherwise I probably -will- pop a stitch," she laughed. It was sure nice seeing Kelly again, but she couldn't pretend she wasn't both a little disappointed, and impressed the girl was a Superhero. She wondered how the girl would react, since.. well, Annabelle -was- technically still a criminal, just not in Solar City. .. Yet.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:55 am

"Sure," Kelly answered easily enough, setting her backpack down and offering her hands. "Y'know, you don't look so good. I won't ask, though, if you don't wanna tell. I get how it is." She didn't say anything about Annabelle being potentially a criminal - the whole thing in Philadelphia had been so weird, and Kelly had honestly felt like it had all gotten blown way out of proportion. Like, even if Annabelle was a criminal, there was no need for there to have been a bunch of weird people trying to kill her.

Kelly didn't really think anyone deserved that. And, unlike some others, she was a very firm believer in second chances. And also in not exposing people's meta-events at school, because it was so. Awkward. "I heard there was a new student, is that you?" she added, conversationally, "You're not from around here though, are you?" Annabelle hadn't exactly specified where she was from, even though Kelly had asked her, but she was still pretty confident that the answer would fall in the "not Solar City" category. "How're you liking it so far? Did you just move in recently, or have you been here a while? I've been, like... kinda out of commission a little bit for a while, so I'm totally out of the loop on everything that's going on here, which is apparently, like, everything, oh my gosh."

She helped Annabelle get up as carefully as she could - that bandage didn't look great, in Kelly's totally-uninformed opinion. Anyway, no bandages was the best look, so any bandages was probably a bad sign. Unless it was a style thing, because some of the kids did that, and she wasn't gonna judge, but Annabelle's seemed more medical and less mode of expression.

She exhaled shortly, apparently a punctuation to that entire flow of discussion, and added, inquiringly, "So, how've you been?"

Sbelle

Post by Sbelle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:11 am

Annabelle grunted lightly as she was pulled up to her feet, hissing lightly as she stood. She had been advised to stay in hospital later, but after arguing with Bobbie till she was blue in the face, and knowing the risk of being picked up by the police, she had decided against it... she was kind of wishing she wasn't so stubborn now. Finally standing, she rested against Kelly's form for a brief few moments, taking a few deep breaths before she relaxed, looking like the wind had been taken out of her. She had been pretty seriously injured in that mall, but here she stood regardless... she was a pretty tough young woman. She gave Kelly a smile, and took a couple of ginger steps back to lean against the railing of the stairs, taking most of the weight of her body off her blue and red converse shoes... she didn't look much different from that day in the mall.

"No you're right... the Doctors were refusing to let me leave," she laughed a little, shaking her head. "But being cooped up in a hospital room... it ain't me. As soon as I could stand I made the case and... drove down here," she explained. She began to relax properly, the pain from her body lessening over time as she started answering Kelly's questions. "New student, that's me, and... yeah, not from around here. Big time," she laughed, hinting that there may be more to the girls heritage than she let on. "But otherwise, the climate suits me, the people are plenty nice... 'cept for Maggie. Glad the Superhero herself came over to intervene," she teased lightly, Annabelle treating Kelly really just as... Kelly. After what the other 'heroes' did to her, it wasn't exactly a wonder why Annabelle didn't have a reverence for heroes. "After all that's happened 'round here I'm surprised everyone is so nice," she observed. She smiled at Kelly again, Annabelle so much more at ease here than she had been in Philadelphia. There, she'd been high strung, nervous, here? Here she was strangely calm, as if she didn't belong, and knew it.

"But I've been good. First time in a while that I'm feelin' good, y'know? Everything is falling into place for me... back at school," she grinned. "Hey... uh, did you wanna go get something to eat? I just ate but Doctors told me healing would make me ravishingly hungry," she shrugged. "I'd be there now, but I don't really know the town yet," she shrugged sheepishly. Really? Prism herself, you want to go out and try and be friends with her. Yeah... well, she makes me feel normal. Alright... but don't come running to me if it goes to hell. She's a 'Superhero' afterall.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:20 pm

"Well, with everything that happened, everyone's gotta pitch in and do their best, you know?" Kelly said, optimistic as always. "People are pulling together. Everyone does what they can." For some, that meant helping rebuild the city. For others, it meant supporting friends and family who'd lost so much. And sometimes, for students, it just meant doing a good job not getting in trouble, so the adults could worry about adult things. Kelly knew her parents worried about a lot of stuff they didn't tell her about, but that was kind of okay. They were her parents. They were supposed to treat her like a kid. It was the rest of the world treating her like a kid that she kind of had issues with. Especially the superhero world.

That wasn't something she needed to worry about at school, though. At school she just needed to worry about friends and grades and cheerleading and track and, like, eight million other things. But not superheros. Kinda. Except now that everyone knew she was a superhero it was, like, super-awkward. Well. She was awesome enough to survive giant robots and city-wide blackouts and all sorts of other things, she was going to be awesome enough to survive eleventh grade.

With Annabelle upright and not looking like she was going to fall over any time soon, Prism retrieved her backpack and slung it over a shoulder. "I'll go with you, sure. I'm not all that hungry, but there is always room for ice cream." Facts of life, right there. That, and Kelly was an active teenage girl. There was always room for something, it was just that her preferred diet consisted, ideally, of 90% ice cream. "Come on, if you're new here I can show you around. Trust me, I know all the best places to get ice cream. What d'you want besides that, though?"

Sbelle

Post by Sbelle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:53 pm

Annabelle just had to stare at Kelly. She'd lost that sense of optimism pretty early on when she arrived here, and the way the girl looked at her like... she just was her, she wanted to wrap her up in a hug and let herself be normal. Yet that nagging thought wouldn't leave her. Kelly was a Superhero, and it made Annabelle confused. Part of her wanted to run from her as fast as she could, all her bad experiences with people like her leaving her suspicious of her contemporary. Damn it... she just wanted to slap her, but she also admired her, she was brave, bubbly, selfless... I don't trust her, but you know damn well she could help you, even just socially. Annabelle paused, scowling a moment, the silence beginning to settle in as she just studied Kelly for the longest time.

After a suitably awkward amount of time, she gave a little bit of a smile, resolving her inner monologue with a shrug, "Ice cream actually sounds perfect. We've got the perfect weather for it," she commented, looking up at the sky, studying the almost cloudless blue above them. "I also need to find some auto parts stores... the few I've been to have been closed, with everything being diverted for the repair effort," she explained with a slump of her shoulders. Well that explained what the girl did in her spare time, at least it wasn't criminal. "I could maybe use some new shoes as well... I bought some at the mall that other time, but.. well, then those three assholes started beating the hell out of me," she lamented. They had been nice shoes... it was a shame they got left behind. She looked down at her current offerings, blue and red converse that had been with her ever since she arrived from her home. At this rate she was never going to get rid of them.

With a plan put into place, Annabelle moved to walk alongside Kelly, her bag slung over a shoulder as well, rather symbolically the opposite shoulder of her schoolmate. In the small conversations they had about class and school, Kelly might begin to pick up on Annabelle's mannerisms, all of it seeming forced to an extent. The way she spoke an acted seemed quite deliberate, even her accent seemed... off somehow. Perhaps it was just upbringing, or maybe Annabelle was slipping as she grew more comfortable with Kelly, Annabelle finding Kelly's bubbly outlook hard to resist. "So how far was this place?"

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:09 am

"Not too far," Prism assured her, "About two blocks. There's better places out further, but, like, no offense but you kinda look like maybe you shouldn't walk all that far." Privately, Kelly thought maybe Annabelle kinda looked like she shouldn't be walking at all, and like maybe when the doctors had told her she should be in a hospital, she probably should have listened, but it wasn't like Kelly really had all that much room to talk on that account.

Although, physically, she was fine. "Sorry about all that happened with the mall. I wasn't really sure what was happening. If I'd known it was going to get that violent, I would have stepped in. Maybe I should have anyway. I don't know. I'm sorry. No one deserves that kind of treatment." She still didn't know what Annabelle had done, but she'd decided she didn't care. She was going to focus on the person Annabelle was deciding to be today, which was just a high school student like any other. Right now, Annabelle wasn't doing anything wrong, and Prism wasn't going to be the kind of person who tracked someone down just because they might do something bad in the future, or might have done something bad in the past. There were names for that sort of people.

Names like The Executioner.

Sbelle

Post by Sbelle » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:10 am

There was a quiet sense of relief as Annabelle heard it wasn't far, as the girl was already lagging behind Kelly, struggling to keep up, though she didn't seem to complain apart from a distinct wince on her face. She shrugged at Kelly's rather astute observation, smirking lightly to herself, "Don't worry about me... not the first injury I've sported. Although it's the first time I've been shot. That... hurts like hell," she grinned, finding it amusing in her own twisted way. "But then in a twist, I wouldn't be down this way if I hadn't been uh... put in hospital. So... I guess it all works out." She looked down the street, trying to spot the place they were walking to, her eyes able to just barely pick it up among the throng of students who were thinking the same.

Annabelle turned her head to watch Kelly as the other student apologised. Annabelle shook her head as she finished, "No... don't, you don't have to. They... they were going to hurt someone, they didn't really care who it was. And after meeting you and Felix and Kat, I'm... it wouldn't have sat well with me if ya'll had gotten injured on account of me. I got out of it mostly in one piece, so... better they hurt someone who warranted it," she shrugged. Sure, Kelly was a hero it turned out, but with the way those guys had been acting, they would have done a number on her as much as they had on Annabelle. Hell, without the help of everyone else, Annabelle probably wouldn't have gotten out at all, they had really wanted to put her down for good. Annabelle looked forward for a brief few moments... she should be sadder about that, more upset. God... am I so used to it now? I hate this place... Yeah... we both do. Annabelle smiled again, looking at Kelly.

"Be my limpin' butt aside, what about you? I couldn't keep up much with what happened, but..." she shook her head with a laugh. "Not admittin' to nothin', but what I do is.. drive. There's a simplicity in that. What you do? I can't understand the pressure you're under." She stared at Kelly with piercing eyes, Annabelle's gaze seeming to pick up every piece of detail with only a glance, but then if she was half the driver she seemed to be, it was no wonder. "And after what happened... I mean, are you okay? I can at least say I -did- deserve it a little bit. I can rationalise it... the things you must see and do..." she shook her head, feeling quite a bit smaller walking next to a proper Superhero. Or at least Annabelle figured Kelly was a proper one, seemed like the rest were just pretending so they could flaunt their power.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:27 am

"You didn't warrant it, Annabelle," Prism repeated firmly, as they managed to arrive at their destination. She'd noticed Annabelle slowing down a bit, and slowed down accordingly. "No. Don't say you deserved it. There's no such thing as 'deserving it a little bit,' either. You weren't currently endangering anyone's life, there was absolutely no reason for anyone to step in other than law enforcement - that's what they're there for. To deal with stuff calmly and professionally, you know? Not to... not to do what happened. That wasn't right. It shouldn't have happened. You deserve an apology, and I doubt you'll get one from them - I don't even know who they were, or where they are. But you still deserve an apology, so... I'm sorry. For my part, and for theirs."

She let the discussion lighten up, though, as they arrived at the locale - a little local place that seemed to cater mostly to high school students, at least at this hour - in the ice cream and comfort food business. After school snacks for hungry teenagers, something every community needed and wanted. "Driving's awesome," she said agreeably. "I just got my license a few months ago, and I can definitely see how it'd be cool to spend a lot of time doing that. I hardly ever get to borrow the car, though, and it's not like I can really drive fast in mom's minivan, and mom would totally kill me if I ever got a ticket, but... you know. Driving's fun."

She thought about that, then added, "The superhero thing is... I don't know if fun's the right word. But it's meaningful. It lights up my life, I guess. And... yes. There are some things that have been bad. There are some things that have happened that still bother me, but... they were going to happen anyway. And I did my part to try to make sure that when they happened, they weren't as bad as they could have been. And... I guess I try to focus on giving people chances, when I can. There's a lot of people out there who aren't willing to give people a chance, or aren't willing to give them a second chance. I don't know. I just feel like people are better than that. Maybe they need a few tries to get it right, is all - and hurting them isn't the way to help them see that. So, I do what I can, and sometimes I feel like I've done well, and other times I... don't, so much. But I keep going out there, because I think the world needs someone like me. So I'll give it as many chances as I'm able to."