A New Leaf, Righting Wrong

Concepts, Lore, & New Developments.
Sbelle

A New Leaf, Righting Wrong

Post by Sbelle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:28 am

… The sun is bright today. The sun is bright every day. You know what I mean... the bed feels nice. Of course it does... I picked it. That's right, you did. It's time to get up... we'll be late for school. I don't feel like going to school today. Of course you don't... but we have to.

I haven't even done my homework... it's still in my bag. Well we can do it before school. We always manage to scratch through with a pass. “Sweetie... time to get up, you're going to miss your train if you stay in bed any longer,” she heard the sound of her mothers voice. Annabelle rolled over, groaning, “Five more minutes...” she complained. “Alright... five more minutes, your cereal will be on the table when you finally get your lazy bones up,” she heard her mother tease her.

Annabelle froze, the feeling around her... muggy, too warm to be under the covers, the feeling of dampness on her pillow, sweat. Her heart skipped a beat... was she home? Finally home? Was this nightmare finally over? She gave a sad sigh, keeping her eyes shut as tight as she could. The dream always ended when she opened her eyes. But now... now, she could hear the sounds of her parents out in the kitchen... her mother calling for her to get ready for school, and her father making terrible jokes over breakfast.

Why do you torment me like this. Because today, we need something more than stubbornness to keep us going. And you need to remember. The dream was just another lie this place forced upon her, another painful reminder that she didn't belong. Time to open your eyes... you have a visitor.

-------------------------------------

Slowly, Annabelle opened her eyes, the blur of all the lights in the hospital room blinding her. Everything hurt like hell... and slowly, the memory of what had happened replaced the dream world of her home. She slowly sat up, gasping in agony as she looked down at her form. On her face she could see an oxygen mask, the coolness of the oxygen flowing in making it easier to breath. The gown covering her did little to hide away the wounds she was sporting, the fabric bunching up around her bandages. She pulled the gown open just enough to see where she'd been in surgery, the bullet having been pulled from her small form, and the gash she'd suffered from the knife stitched up.

“Woah! Kid... damn, lay down,” she heard a familiar voice, a small balding man quickly approaching her to press her down gently. Annabelle felt tears well up in her eyes as her entire body burned with pain, the girl hyperventilating as reality came crashing down on her violently. She reached up to struggle a little, but the gentle hands didn't fight back. “I know you're hurtin', they got you on a drip kid,” the voice spoke again, Annabelle slowly zeroing in on the source. It was... Bobby, the short, balding man unmistakable.

“Bobby..” she hissed, beginning to relax, allowing his hands to press her back into the pillow, before he withdrew, standing next to the bed.
“Yeah... it's Bobby,” he said gently, relaxing as Annabelle did. “Damn kid... you really gave me a scare. When I got the call that you'd been done in at the mall...” he shook his head. “Ah... I'm sorry kid, you shouldn't have ever been put in this position. I let greed get the better of me... greed, and your stubbornness,” he chuckled gently, trying to keep the mood light. Annabelle looked up at the man who had taken her in when she arrived in this confusing, hellish world... back then, she was a mess, begging on the streets, jacking cars, she didn't know why he took pity on her.
“Bobby... I didn't give you much of a choice,” Annabelle sighed, closing her eyes as she tried to will her body to calmness. Her mind wandered back to their first meeting. She had stolen his sandwich from him one day, and ran like hell. Somehow, he had found her, but then she didn't run far. The way her stomach had been grumbling, she had sat down as soon as she thought she got away and ate the sandwich in only three bites. He didn't seem angry at her though... instead, he bought her some new clothes, got her some food to eat... he gave her a life.

Bobby chuckled lightly, and stepped away, pulling a chair over to sit next to the bed. “If the Docs ask, your name is Cait... they were puttin' it down as Annabelle but I convinced them it was just some fever dream about a sister or somethin',” he spoke, explaining why she wasn't lying here in cuffs. “There's been some other girl, comin' and goin'... uh, a Kat or somethin'. She seemed real concerned about you, but you been out from the surgery for... 'bout a day now. Nice kid, doesn't say much, but I think she was the one who brought you inside. I might need to uh... give her a little somethin' as way of thanks,” he shrugged. Annabelle remembered the other girl from the car... it had been an intense set of moments, she was glad to hear she was alright.

Bobby gave a heavy sigh, shaking his head. “You know... when you started drivin' for me, I'd have nightmares about all this. You laid up... some evil bastards havin' gone too far on you, but you always seemed to come through, skin of your teeth. I thought you were invincible or somethin'.” He stared at her, “I gotta... I gotta cut you loose. I'm just gonna get you killed kid, and I can't have that on my conscience.”

Annabelle stared at him in disbelief, her heart sinking... this job, this life, it had kept her afloat, without it... where would she go? She tried to sit up again to protest, but only put herself in pain again, Bobby sitting up to usher her down. “Bobby... please,” she started, shaking her head. “I don't... I don't have anything else. I'm just... it was a mistake, they caught up, and... I don't have any money Bobby!” she said in a panic, tears welling up in her eyes.

“Come on kid... for someone who's so smart, you're pretty dumb,” he laughed, grinning at her. “With the takes you'd grab with the crews, you never thought you deserved more? Them jobs ain't workin' unless you're behind the wheel,” he began to explain. Annabelle stared at him... she was paid handsomely for her work, or... so she thought. He pet her arm gently, “I never had a kid... but I always thought, if I did, I'd always put aside somethin' for them, so when they were an adult, they got off on the right foot. Well... kid, I only paid you a small part of your cut. You got more money than you realise.” He laughed lightly at her expression, Annabelle staring incredulously at the man.

He stared at her sadly for a small amount of time, the silence in the room building like pressure in the air. “I done wrong by you kid, by bringin' you into this life. I know you'll protest and say it was your choice,” he spoke, waving her down before she did just that, “but you's a kid. You don't understand or plan or nothin'... and when I saw how you drove, well, I saw the dollar signs and...” he shook his head. “I got some... friends, out on the West coast. I'm gonna send you out there... away from all the cops lookin' for you, from all the bastards tryin' to hunt you down, give you a new start. You know... maybe you should go back to school. You been out for what, a year?”

Annabelle couldn't believe her what she was hearing... sure, she'd never lead a normal life in a world like this, and she always knew Bobby had a good heart inside him, but... she didn't expect this. She swallowed, looking down at her battered and broken form, her skin a mess of purple and blue splotches, of cuts... bullet holes, gashes... it would be a slow healing process, one she couldn't do here. “Bobby... I do-... I don't know what I'm supposed to say.” She looked at him, swallowing heavily before looked away, feeling guilty. Bobby sat back in his chair, shaking his head lightly.
“Say you forgive me... for puttin' you in this bed,” he said gently. Annabelle sat up quickly,
“It wasn't your fault Bobby, you know it wasn't.”
“Yeah, yeah it was... I may not have hurt you, but I put you in a position to get hurt. You're just a kid, and I was the one lookin' after you. I fucked that up kid... it's time to send you out of harms way.” Bobby gave her a small smile... he was glad he could finally do something right for her, something purely right, not giving her a job to make him money.

“Oh, I got these for you to look over... them friends, they're out Californiway,” he grinned, putting a few pamphlets on her lap. “Check 'em out... apparently Solar City is one of them big time rich people cities. You might not fit in completely," he teased, "but the schools are top notch,” he nodded with a wide grin. Annabelle picked up a few, studying them lightly... Solar City... that's where those other kids were from. Strange how fate deals its hand. Annabelle wanted to argue, and wanted to cry out in protest, but... when she looked into Bobby's eyes, she could see how important this was to him. He wanted to give her the opportunity he never got, he wanted to see her succeed in every way she could... and she didn't have the heart to say no.
“Wow... these look amazing Bobby,” she smiled, her sadness fading just a little as the short man beamed, and got up from his chair to begin pulling the pamphlets apart for her, gushing about how great the schools were.
Characters: Annabelle King
"I'm just a gambler who wants to lose, and be allowed to leave."

Reyn
Community Mod

Re: A New Leaf, Righting Wrong

Post by Reyn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:34 am

This is Top Tier Stuff man, you got me Feeling things

lowlaville

Post by lowlaville » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:43 am

Nice, enjoyed the read. Bobby is MVP

Sbelle

Post by Sbelle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:47 am

Thank you!
Characters: Annabelle King
"I'm just a gambler who wants to lose, and be allowed to leave."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Great read, nice to see a bit of Annabelle's background developed.