A Sleepless Dream [EVENT, CONCLUDED]

Roleplay locations.
Reyn
Community Mod

A Sleepless Dream [EVENT, CONCLUDED]

Post by Reyn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:06 pm

It started with a sickness.

Not a flesh-rotting plague that swept through the city like a tidal wave, nor a sinister, silent parasite that infected the masses without them knowing, but simply a feeling ofsickness. Psychosomatic, some might call it. Chromosomatic, others might. An inconvenience, most would. At the hour of midnight, every single inhabitant of London was woken from their slumber by a sudden onset of deep, visceral nausea... but, other than that, they were fine. Theyseemedfine.

"Just sleep it off"was a phrase that seemed to echo around the city in the following few minutes. The phone lines were dead, the wi-fi had completely shut off, no broadcasts could enter and leave the city, but that didn't matter at midnight. They shouldn't be awake at this time anyway, they would tell themselves. They should just sleep and wait for everything to magically fix itself, they would tell their family. Time heals all wounds, after all, so time would heal this one too. It would heal the nausea and the isolation and the frozen clocks that hung on every wall, it would heal the irritation and the anger and the growing fear that begun to fester in the minds of those affected, it would heal the anxiety and the sudden alertness and that awful, lurking feeling that something wasn't quitenatural...

It was only when'sleeping it off'was no longer a viable option that people started to get worried. Indeed; in much the same way as the wave of nausea had passed over the city, soon every citizen of London found themselves entirely unable to go back to sleep. For some, it was simply a matter of the nausea preventing them from feeling any sort of comfort that would be conducive to a good (or any) night's sleep. For others, however, it was rather more concerning. They took sleeping pills to try and force them away from consciousness, trying to bring back the sleep they had lost through chemical means. One pill did nothing. Two pills did nothing. Three pills did nothing. And, when they took the whole bottle in desperation, even that did nothing. What a foolish thing to do, taking a lethal dose of pills in an attempt to fend off a single night's lost sleep.

Especially at a time when lethality had become all but irrelevant.

The hospitals were the first to notice it. Terminal cases, people who's time was due to end that night, with charts and machines and diagrams all pointing to the definite fact that their hours were numbered and that number ended rightnow...as of midnight, could no longer be called as such. Patients who had flatlined were sitting up, forced awake from week-long comas by this supernatural sickness. Patients who were in the middle of risky, life-saving surgery had jolted awake, causing the surgeons' instruments to slip and sever vital organs, arteries, and passageways- causing pain, of course, but not much else besides that. Patients with fatal knife wounds, patients who had attempted suicide, patients with cancer that they were told would end their lives... they were all fine. Everyone was fine.

If"just sleep it off"wouldn't function as a city-wide mantra, then"it'll be alright in the morning"would have to serve as a replacement. There were other things to do with the night besides sleeping, after all; time still passed when they were awake. And so, they waited. Hours passed, but they expected them to. It was midnight, after all; morning shouldn't come until at least six o' clock. They just needed to wait a few more hours for the dawn and everything would be back to normal.

But those hours never came.

The clocks never changed, the sun never rose, and those hoursnever came.

It has been twenty-four hours since time stopped. Nobody has yet gone into the city, and nobody has been able to go out. Those that try to leave find themselves back where they started, immediately, as if they had never left at all. People are panicking now, and law enforcement is struggling to contain the riots. Nobody has died, nobodycandie, and no wounds have been able to heal. London is trapped in a sleepless dream with seemingly no way to escape it, and the only thing people can do is wait to see the will of whatever- orwhoeverhad trapped them there.

Somewhere, a young boy wanders the streets; alone, yet never quite alone. He walks along the south bank of the Thames, hands in his pockets, whistling to himself a tune that hadn't been heard for over two centuries. There is a look of curiosity in his eyes; everything seems sonewto him, sointeresting.He walks past a streetlamp, staring up at the glowing bulb until the brightness hurts his eyes. He walks past a train station; an odd sight for him, as he notes there is no coal anywhere near it. He walks past a bus, driving along the road, its vibrant colour and prominent advertising for products he cannot evencomprehendstare back at him, hurting his eyes almost as much as the brightness of the glowing bulb.

As he crosses the street, the bus starts to decay. By the time he reaches the other path, there is nothing left of it but rusted metal and the mangled, bleeding bodies of the passengers...

Who are all still alive.

Something's fucked in London.

You would probably have to be in London before this all started- if you want an incentive to have your character there, then I could say that there was a letter going out telling of some strange force that existed. Idk. It's sorta timelocked- this whole thing is technically happening within the space of less than a second, entirely contained within the city, so people can't just 'walk in'.

Convenience bullshit for this reason is allowed.

There has been news of time irregularities around London before this event, if you wanna use that as an excuse.

Things will happen. Investigate the bus, or the boy. More things will happen soon; it's a bit slow to start, but you'll see why I didn't want to rush into things. This is more of a "figure out what's happening and also how to stop it" deal than a "beat the shit out of time fuckers" deal, mostly due to the severe levels of bullshit that clockman has essentially unlocked through this (more on that later)

things to NOTE:
  • read this
  • also read the book in this post
  • immortal characters (that are over 200 years old) are probably in more danger than mortal ones, for reasons
  • yes this is a clockman event, but he won't show up in person.
  • the boy is important. his name is cyrus.
I am so sorry
Last edited by Reyn on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowlaville

Re: A Sleepless Dream [EVENT]

Post by lowlaville » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 pm

The woman, Kana had been sleeping when she was awoken with a sudden snort. Something was clearly not right. For one, she lost all contact with her base, second, alarms were ringing, both in the GUI of her retinal implant and her bracelets. Specific warnings. Something was clearly very wrong here. Although she couldn't be certain what was likely wrong here, one thing she knew was that it was related to time.

"Shit!" Kana jumped off her bed covered in drapes. She tiptoed to her wardrobe and got dressed into her usual warmaid attire, mini skirt and corset with a headband. She came to london because locals seem to appraise their tea a lot and Kana wanted to have a taste of it. Little she knew that she would end up getting stuck in some sort of nightmare. Kana entered the hallways of her hotel. People were already up, same thing. They just...couldn't go back to sleep. This would be fine but some people were trying to end their lives. As Kana took to the stairwell, she found a woman who had tied a bedsheet to one of the wooden posts and was dangling down from it. Odd sight, she was still breathing. Death it seemed was not an option in this nightmare.

Kana ran out into the midnight streets of london, eerily active. Her first instinct was to try and get out, using brute force. Just leaving the city should work fine, right? She asked herself and made a jump. Normally, this could carry her more than a million miles in a step, and far from this nightmare. Not tonight tho, as she kept going in circles around London. Kana sighed, before climbing on to the tallest building she could find, and sat on the edge. Well. She wanted to see who orchestrated this and why and hoped it would be made apparent soon.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Sahi stood atop a building in London, the recording marker floating in front of her. She gestured to the city at large around herself and the marker. "This whole place is temporally dislocated! Whatever did it, I don't think it's damaged the rest of the time stream but it's difficult to tell while I'm stuck in here. I've not sensed other dislocations or any sort of fluctuation that would indicate an emerging Temporal Conflux. I fed on a guy in the back alley, reduced him straight to dust, took all his time...but the dust was still freaking alive. That's not natural." As if a Temporal Vampire could tell anyone what was natural. "This place needs you're...influence. You could help me figure it out. You know, mother and daughter." She waited.

The signal was drawing temporal energy from her armor and using her own entirely instinctive, entirely natural temporal abilities to punch through to where it needed to go. She'd ripped a hole in time and shunted the communication signal through it. She waited expectantly. Her mother needed to be here, this was her kind of thing. She...needed her mother to be here. She need to see her again, to tell her all the things going on in her life and to...

She lowered her head. There was no answer. She knew it had been received it was just...being...ignored. Again. She sighed with the pain of a daughter ignored by her mother and dismissed the connection and repaired the rip in space time with the unnecessary wave of a hand. The young Time Siphon, so desperate for attention from a seemingly uncaring mother closed her eyes and slid into a seated position on the rooftop. She pulled her knees to her chest and lay her head on them.

Temporal Vampire, Wraith of Sylvania, Murderer of the Adorians, Fiend of Elcycon Six...daughter of Raeyn. All the titles and more, all the fear she put into mortal cattle and all she really wanted was for her mother to take notice. She didn't. She never did. She was alone here just like she was alone everywhere else. Fear, hurt and anger coiled around her heart, closing in on the bars to the caged animal inside. Lithe fingers used to getting their way reached for proverbial lock to let out the animal inside.

Something got in its way. It was not Sahi's will, she wasn't strong enough for that just now. It was something else. Something older than Sahi, something clever, something...Numinous. Job done, the clever little thing slipped away again and left Sahi to her own devices. Sometimes it was time for Fire Fox...and sometimes Sahi needed to be Sahi, but not Sahi the monster, just Sahi the Time Siphon. This was one of those times.

Eventually Sahi slipped away from the roof, allowing her anti-gravity system in the armor to glide her down to the street. She began to walk. If her mother wasn't going to help, she would need to find out what was going on herself.

Far away in a different when lips curled into a smile and ancient eyes turned away from the signal they'd been reviewing.

Time for you to grow up Sahi. Let's see what you can do.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Briefing Room 3C, Military Adjunct Base.
Washington DC, 0900 hours EST
x

"I don't think I'm the most qualified for this endeavor, sir." Whether or not that was true, Captain Teja Docesznik didn't know - but what she did know was that she didn't particularly care to be saddled with this 'mission.' It was a glorified media grab at best, one of those international publicity stunts of the look how much we value our foreign allies variants. Some days, she felt like ninety percent of her job involved handling the media.
"You don't need to be qualified, you just need to not fuck up. Half the heroes these days are hotshots. You can keep your head and not accidentally destroy the palace." It was, unfortunately, ultimately a reasonable response. 'Hotshots' wasn't the term Teja would have used... but the one she would have used wasn't one she would have used in public, either.
"I'm still certain there's someone more qualified." If pressed, though, she couldn't have named anyone. As much as she complained about having to handle media relations, the fact was that Teja was very good at her job.
"The Brits are willing to put up with you. It shouldn't be too bad. Just... smile at the locals, play nice for the cameras, be helpful if anything happens while you're over there, don't get in people's way."
Teja sighed. That was it, then. As she'd assumed, it had already been decided. Clearance wasn't easy to get, especially for supers packing special gear - that was why most metas didn't bother going through official channels, and just showed up when things happened. It avoided arguing with customs over whether they were permitted to bring their doomsday device through as carry-on. "Very good, sir."

x
London, 2400 hours London Time
x

The media event coverage had been uneventful. Respectably boring, in fact. Teja was slated to return to the US the following morning. Currently it was nearing midnight, which her body still thought was early evening. Time zone changes were always a challenge. She was leafing idly through a text on theoretical physics, hoping for inspiration, when the strange wave of nausea hit.

That was... discomforting. She shook her head slightly, and tried to go back to reading. A few chapters later (still without inspiration), she glanced at the clock.

That was... not correct. It couldn't be.

Two chapters later, when it was still 2400 and things had started to seem disturbed outside, she decided it was time to go back on the clock. So to speak. The first thing she did was try to put a call in to HQ, though she wasn't particularly surprised when it didn't go through. She'd have liked to have official clearance for whatever happened next, but she supposed the 'be helpful if anything happens while you're over there' was just going to have to suffice for today's CYA.

It didn't take any time at all to get herself geared up, nor did it take any time to bend the tines of a fork in the kitchen and stick it in an outlet. As always, the 220V UK outlets felt strange - not that sticking a fork in an outlet was Capacitor's preferred way of charging up, but... she'd done it enough by necessity that she felt she was licensed to be a connoisseur at this point.

The streets should have been quiet. They weren't, but people gave her a berth anyway. In general, civilians didn't get too close to anyone wearing what was evidently full meta-tactical gear - nor to anyone who sparked a bit on occasion. She was a little overcharged, to be fair, but she'd wanted to make sure she had full capacity... that and she wasn't quite as comfortable with the 220V outlets. Especially when charging through a fork.

It occurred to her that it might be a good idea to build herself a travel adapter at some point. Something to help her charge cleanly... it'd be a project for when she got back. Now she just had to figure out what was going on. Find the disaster points, check in with other metas. She looked around, seeing if she could find any of them, mostly just being visible. Let them find her. Someone had to have some information, after all.

Atom

Post by Atom » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:45 pm

2 HOURS AFTER ANOMALY

"I realize a lot of you don't want to be here right now— a lot of people aren't feeling well, and I get that— so I'll make my closing statements brief."

Tired, unfocused eyes looked in Mitchell's general direction but none actually met his own gaze. The London shareholders were uninterested; unfazed by the lack of attention, the Promethean CEO continued.

"I'm not sure if you've been paying attention to American news, especially those related to this company, considering I've largely kept this a secret— but I'm, er, dying."

The statement didn't register, at first. Slowly but surely, the pairs of eyes around the room blinked in realization as each gaze slowly centered upon Stervos' paled visage, darkened bags noticeably present below the man's eyes. Looking now, it should have seemed so obvious. He was thinner, in a negative way; the countours of his face were pronounced as muscle mass was lost, the outlines of his cheekbones protruding as his flesh had gradually begun to steep inwardly.

"Treatments, at the moment, are purely palliative until we can define what's killing me and stop it. Now, before you get ahead of yourselves, I'm still the acting CEO. You're stuck with me as long as I'm able to keep working. I'm aware that this may impact whether or not you'll continue to invest in this company, and I'm aware of any concerns you might have. My response to all of your inquiries are: I don't give a shit. I have more than enough money to cover my own losses, and at this point, if you pull out, you miss out. In light of recent events, I've become enlightened to how precious life is. Meeting adjourned. Good-bye."

Mumblings echoed around the conference hall, with a majority of them directed towards an exiting Mitchell. He ignored all of them and approached the elevator outside of the main lobby of the hotel he'd rented out, stepping inside and patiently waiting for the platform to raise him to his penthouse suite.

8 HOURS AFTER ANOMALY

Something was wrong.

No T.V. No radio. Even his suitcase was dead, having activated a failsafe and opened itself by the time Mitchell had returned to his bedroom. Right before it died, the LED screen had spouted something about TIMESTREAM IRREGULARITIES— a subject that, all things considered, was almost as unknown to Mitchell as "being a decent parent". He'd foolishly decided to ignore the warning and continued on with his business. Given his condition of SFI, there was no need to sleep— an attempt to do such an action was met absolutely nothing— so the Promethean CEO had largely remained ignorant of the city's condition, situated within his ivory tower and thoroughly complacent to work through the night.

The nausea, too, had gone unnoticed, simply because discomfort was a fact of life for Stervos. To put it simply, he was always sick from the grueling treatments his doctors provided, so he was technically already nauseous when everybody else supposedly was. People had complained before the meeting, but he wasn't aware that everyone in the city had felt it. That was odd.

When Mitchell looked out of his penthouse window and saw fire cresting the streets of London, the realization of something being wrong finally registered.

24 HOURS AFTER ANOMALY

"What the fuck is even happening out there?"

"Night, for a day straight? Something's horribly wrong, Stervos."

The entirety of the previous 16 hours had been spent combing the streets of London for scientists and engineers by Mitchell, who at this point had cast aside willful ignorance for a sense of detached understanding. Theoretical physicists and various other experts in their respective fields of study had since taken up residence in the conference room and were debating the nature of their apparent spacial imprisonment.

"I drove to the edge of the city to leave and just— came back. I'm not sure what the hell is going on, but it's restricting us from leaving."

"It's been night for the past... however long it's been. 23 hours, a day, maybe? Time isn't moving. People are hurting themselves and the wounds aren't dissipating. There's something—"

From the meeting hall's far window which looked out into the street, an object fell and slammed into the pavement. A scream, shrill and filled with terror, sounded from the front of the lobby moments later. Mitchell and a few others rushed out of the conference room, stampeding through the lobby and stepping out into the crepuscular atmosphere of the barren London streets. Upon the road, a broken body lay pressed against the pavement, blood leaking from underneath the cadavar. Somebody had thrown his-or-herself from the roof of the hotel and plummeted to their death, striking the asphalt right in front of anybody.

Worse than that— they weren't dead.

Something akin to a groan of agony and sputtering of blood droned from where the corpse's mouth would be, had it not been shattered upon impact; Mitchell's eyes furrowed in a perplexed expression of horror as the scientistsi around him gasped in sheer disbelief, a few vomiting onto the sidewalk as terrified onlookers watched from the windows of the hotel. The body attempted to move, barely picking itself off of the ground before flopping itself onto the asphalt.

"Oh my... Christ. Somebody call a—"

"Call what? This entire ordeal's gone balls-up, his body's in shambles— there's no saving--"

"At least call a fucking ambulance or— something, I don't know!"

"WE CAN'T FUCKING CALL ANYBODY, CUNT! OUR PHONES ARE DEAD!"

"I KNOW! WE SHOULD JUST FUCKING— TRY, FOR CHRISSAKES!"

Another groan from the mangled mass of flesh. The crowd of academics stepped away from the corpse, slowly gravitating back inside as Mitchell and the biologist he'd been arguing with stared at the living cadaver with a depressed sense of shock.

"He's dead. Nothing we can do for him."

Soon, the man had left just as the others had, and it was only Stervos. He clutched the briefcase in his hand with white knuckles and looked up into the darkened sky, narrowing his eyes.

"The fuck is going on."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:48 pm

London, 2400 hours

It wasn't that hard to find a source of trouble. In fact, there were more than there should have been - people who should have been dead but, for some inexplicable reason, were not. A man had jumped off a roof, and landed with a mangled splatter on the pavement... and continued to move. The engineer in Capacitor wanted to know why gravity still worked at the standard 9.8m/s2 if the seconds were broken... but whatever was happening, time still seemed to flow at its normal rate. It was just that the time didn't change, or at least, the clocks didn't.

There was a group around the decidedly non-dead man, but most of it dissipated after a while, in search of new horrors. A man remained, recognizeable. Capacitor had last seen him in DC, not since. Still, he'd struck her as being competent. That was always a good thing to have around. Competence was in much shorter supply than ability, generally speaking.

"Atom," she greeted him, offering a nod rather than a handshake. With as much charge as she was holding, he'd excuse the slight. "Capacitor," she added to identify herself, in case he didn't spend as much time researching other individuals as she did. "We met in DC. I was here for a conference. This was... unanticipated. Do you have any intelligence on the situation?"

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Sahi saw a commotion and followed it in search of a cause to what was going on. What she found was far less interesting, at least initially. Some guy had jumped off a roof and two heroes were talking about their last meeting. She rolled her eyes and passed them by without comment to crouch down by the body. It gurgled and tried to move.

Sahi laughed.

"Oh you're still alive?" She put a hand on the living corpse and tapped into its temporal line, coiling around it. She smiled a little. How fascinating. Time wasn't letting him die. She glanced around and tried not to laugh again. So...everyone here is going to do something thinking they can't die and then time is going to eventually get fixed and people are just going to die all over the place. Oh...the stupidity of cattle.

"Stop that." She told the corpse as he gurgled some more in an attempt to ask for help. "You're interrupting me and that's rude." She moved to stand...but something made her stop. She looked down at him again. She'd died to this sort of thing once, fell from a huge height, broken bones, pulped organs, it was awful to feel it. Awful still to keep feeling it. She frowned and wondered why she suddenly cared.

She took a breath and sighed, not at him this time but at herself. "Fine, damn it." She put her hand back on his body and coiled back around his temporal line. She was positive she couldn't take away his pain by killing him and, looking back on what had happened to Mr. Dust, killing him with a temporal drain might be even worse. There was something else she could do though.

"Shh. I don't know if this will work and believe me if you disrupt my focus, it can get a lot worse for you. Yes, I know, it hurts it's really bad, I've died this way before so I know. Maybe next time don't jump off a building, it's a really stupid way to kill yourself anyway." She closed her eyes, shut out the outside world and began to focus. Sahi tapped into her temporal reserve, wondering once again why she was doing something to help someone at the cost of any part of herself, and worked to place him into temporal stasis. From what she could tell no one could leave this time moment so she didn't try to remove him from the time stream which may not work and could interact with the temporal dislocation in unfortunate and conflux causing ways. Instead she sought to put him into stasis, freeze him in this moment. He would still be alive...but he'd feel nothing.

Kaija21

Post by Kaija21 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:03 am

Reyn wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:06 pm
It had been a week since the Clockmaker had left her establishment.

She knew not his name, but the nature of his existence and the implications behind it were revealed to her by the very same book that he had taken so much interest in when she had last seen him. It didn't take long for her to pick up on the signs of his mischief. Temporal anomalies began sprouting up in random locations all throughout a single location that was drenched in his scent.

London.

Up until now, the few phenomena that had plagued the city were minor. Insignificant. Enough to draw Beatrice's attention but too little to validate a response until recently. Whatever was happening now, she had felt it coming only hours before it took effect. A doorway to some abandoned hovel let her into the city shortly before a wave of nausea swept through the city and Beatrice couldn't help but notice that whatever force had swept through the area had also left her Athenaeum temporarily inaccessible. Even still, it wasn't until she began to explore the city that she grew annoyed.

The Dubois Athenaeum might've been able to protect her from the power of the Clockmaker, but a being of that caliber was an undeniable threat out here. She too had read the book and understood what kind of power that he had employed to warp the city of London. It was a power that could only be wielded by one with an extraordinary connection with time; a spell that she could neither replicate nor undo by her own magics. Even so, manipulating time, or preserving it, was not beyond her means. Mindful of the entity that she expected to face upon arrival, the archmage carved a rune onto both of her hands and her chest. An enchantment that could affect nothing outside of her own existence, but that would work to act as a substantial buffer against forces that would work to alter the nature and direction of her own personal time as the pace at which it marched forward. And yet, despite the preparations that she had made for an inevitable reunion with the embodiment of time...

He was nowhere to be found.

In his absence, Beatrice would simply soar over the night skies; easily visible to anyone who might choose to gaze upwards as she rode atop her faithful broom.

She may have known who was responsible and the others were concerning themselves with what it was that was happening, but the librarian was more concerned with the why of it all than anything else. Sleeplessness, captivity, immortality, a novel that told him things about himself that he couldn't have known prior... What did time, itself, have to gain from all of this?

Silently, the moonlit witch would continue her search for anything that might provide meaning or clarity.
~Sincerely Kaija

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:08 am

Time was strange around that boy. It wasn't just strange in the way he saw; even from the outside it was clear that something, temporally, was not quiteright.It was as if he shouldn't be here at all... although, perhaps'here'is the wrong word to use. Cyrusshouldbe in London; he hadn't left the city ever in his life before (the gentleman said he might take him to Suffolk one day, but Cyrus knew that was a another of his lies). Rather... Cyrus shouldn't benow.His connection with time was tenuous and fragmented, yet so perfectly interwoven. It was as if time itself had shown mercy and allowed him, against all logical possibility, to live on.

Where was that mercy now? In the hands of that which threw their own body from the roof, hoping to end the madness it had so deftly caused? In the bus full of living corpses that had fallen to pieces in a moment within a moment? In the confusion, in the chaos, in the city locked inside a blink, trapped and conscious without sleep or death to free them?

Where was that mercy in Cyrus?
He walked out of the alley and into a clearing, passing by the hotel from which the body fell... and then froze. Whilst not much of the strange happenings seemed to bother him that much, the freezing of the suicidal man seemed to have him shaken. He passed by, not drawing much attention to himself as he observed, quietly muttering something under his breath to himself that wasn't himself.

"What do you mean? I thought all of this was... no? Well, I thought it might be a problem... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that... I know you wouldn't be concerned, I really... wait, what woman? I thought it was a bird..."

He fell silent and stopped firmly in his tracks, standing perfectly still under the glow of the streetlights that suddenly began to flicker, only to be returned to their natural glow mere seconds later. There was a look on the boy's face that could only be described asdead;trance-like, empty, and very, very strange. The look in question was directed at someone; he was staring straight at the man with the briefcase. Then, in a monotone voice that carried across the silence, he spoke again.

"I suppose you're glad you can't dream tonight."

Magnetar

Post by Magnetar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 am

LONDON.

There had been reports of strange things happening around London. Eerie things. In Rust's experience so far, eerie things meant potential Earth-wide threats, and that meant he'd be needed. Crossing the Atlantic as Magnetar had been easy, but he'd found himself slowing down mid-flight to enjoy himself somewhat. It wasn't often that he used his powers purely for personal transportation, as he preferred to drive to where he needed to be. Booking a plane would have been expensive, though, and he was in no hurry to waste Weltgeist's stash of gold.

Having never been to London before, Rust had taken his time touring, while also keeping his notebook on-hand to take notes on anything that seemed out of place or bizarre. Taking his role as a god-cop to heart, he'd also bought a pocket digital camera, in case he needed to take any high-quality pictures (his flip-phone wasn't the best at that). He'd quickly rented a hotel room in the middle of the city, central to any potential action.

By the time his first night in London rolled around, nothing much had happened. He'd kept his ballcap on and walked about, but not run into much. Weltgeist had felt something, but he couldn't quite say what - that was cause for them to stay, he decided. Maybe at night things would reveal themselves. But as it turned out, there was nothing but dour weather. The ominous warnings of the Eldest also made passive enjoyment of the trip a little hard.

Here for work. Not a vacation, he had to keep telling himself. But work had yet to materialize. Usually by now he'd have hammered something evil into submission, he thought as he walked by a few flickering streetlights. Abandoned alleyways were good places for the paranormal to manifest, so he'd stayed within the bounds of a few for a while before getting bored. What time was it now? Twelve? One? He rubbed at his eyes.

What sounded like a car accident occurring nearby brought him out of his apathetic stupor. Charging out of the alley, he encountered instead a mass of rioting Londoners, currently moaning about something or other and engaging the police. What was this? Demonic possession? Mass mind-control? Didn't matter. He'd get to the bottom of it.

This is always the best part.

Smirking, Rust reached up, slipping the small silver band onto his finger. By the power of Weltgeist -

- nothing happened.

Oh.

"Well, Geist..."

"This ain't no good."