[REQ] Redemption

With a suggested standard of two paragraphs or more and dedicated lore threads, this is for the more verbose roleplayer. (10+ sentences per post, on average.)
Poetic Ghost

Re: [REQ] Retaliation

Post by Poetic Ghost » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:00 am

Nope, don't worry about it.

Feverishly, Hale stuck out his hand, trying to remember what happened when he touched a Silwin. Did they read his mind? Or save his DNA so they could make a half-Hale half-Silwin baby, and then Hale would be a dad and then he would have to stop being a space pirate and be a dad, and that would be hard because Hale didn't want to stop being a space pirate, and...

She was staring at him, and he was still shaking her hand.

"Amarok, Hale Captain... that's me..." Hale finished and let go of her hand and shook sense into himself. "So, just, start at the beginning."
]

Arion Queen
Bronze

Post by Arion Queen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 am

I'm interested however my reies will be slim due to a busy schedule. But, I have a question, are we required to have a vehicle? The character I have in mind doesn't travel much but instead hitch hikes a lot. ^.^
On silent wings I fly, age, nor strength, nor wisdom defy me. For I consume all.

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:21 am

The idea of the vehicle is that it could be anything, most people have mecha-style vehicles, and Annasiel has a flying ambulance of sorts.

You don't necessarily 'need' one, but some of the combat in this RP will take place in these vehicles.
]

Someguy500

Post by Someguy500 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 am

Would a spaceship-style interceptor be inappropriate? One that can strafe and roll with ease and such.

Below would be about what I'm talking about, but definitely at a smaller scale.

https://ftlwiki.com/images/thumb/f/fa/C ... estrel.png
Someone who DEFINITELY ISN'T Annasiel wrote:"only in Roblox can I play out my middle school ethot avatar fantasies"

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 am

I need to clarify something. The vehicles your characters have are not long-haul style vehicles. They aren't really supposed to be able to travel between planets. When I started this, I was thinking I'd get a bunch of tanks and walkers. And it's super cool that everyone wants to break the mould (though mecha is super awesome) and try other stuff.

That wasn't directed primarily at you, Someguy.

Just remember that you'll be fighting huge mech walkers and anti-air guns in some scenes.
]

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 am

Would you be willing to look over my sheet? I just have the Origin section left, and wanted to make sure everything else was in order.
I look in the water and fear what I see
I know it's no stranger but I know it's not me
My life is a lie that was uttered in jest
If I can't change at all, let me rest

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 am

Sure, Annasiel :)
]

Someguy500

Post by Someguy500 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 am

Aha, thanks. And no, the Royal Flush is no long-hauler, I promise you. It could be space-capable, sure, in the same way a raft made of wooden pallets and palm trees is "seaworthy".
Someone who DEFINITELY ISN'T Annasiel wrote:"only in Roblox can I play out my middle school ethot avatar fantasies"

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:11 am

Also, wanted to add, Engel doesn't function well as a planet-to-planet. At best, it's orbital or planet-to-satellite. It's too slow, and the shielding doesn't do well with solar emissions.

Also also, Chell turned out a lot more skittish and paranoid than I originally envisioned, but it fits her personality and I dig it.
I look in the water and fear what I see
I know it's no stranger but I know it's not me
My life is a lie that was uttered in jest
If I can't change at all, let me rest

Myrn
Trap Card

Post by Myrn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:12 am

WIP FOR NOW JUST SO I HAVE IT UP HERE AND ALL THAT JAZZ

- Character Sheet -

Name: Lilith Treble

Race: Variant Human - She was never sure what the variant was other than the fact she had natural rose colored eyes and hair. It was never really explained what it was that she had variants with.

Homeworld: Melbourne S9 - A barren wasteland of a planet only the stubbornest and hardiest of fools that could make it hospitable enough to battle the harsh environment. The polar extreme weather made it difficult to settle when the surface would become a blinding night free scorching desert for months on end with no real let up from the sun’s heat save for dust storms, except those are just as bad if not worse. The rest of the year is entirely comprised of a constant overcast in a tundra iceland as the temperature drops beyond below freezing. The planet was once rich in Tungsten however it has for the most part been picked clean. The planet held no other source of income with any real value and economically failed.

Skills: Lilith is quite skilled in mechanical engineering and well versed in metalwork and repairs. She is very capable of taking things apart to understand it and putting it all together again with her own improvements.

Equipment: She typically carries an assortment of tools with her

Personality: Lilith comes across as rude with little to no manners whatsoever. Her language, though colorful is still vulgar. Coarser than a diamond in the rough, she’s off putting enough to be a troublesome team mate. However, she’ll play nice if asked as long as no one tries to get all cozy next to her.

Appearance: Rose colored hair and eyes contrasts well against the steel grey mechanical limbs of Lilith. Her figure may be full but it’s evident how toned she is with what her work required of her. She is about average in height at about 5’7” although her height may have been stunted with added weight. She sometimes claims to be shrinking and had shrunk by 2 inches already. And if she had to guess, her weight would be somewhere over 200 lbs possibly 300? Kind of hard to measure with no working scale around.

Biography: For as long as she could remember, Lilith had been surrounded by adults in uniform. She was never allowed outside of a certain perimeter, and had no one near her age to play with. Her knowledge of the outside world was limited to knowing of its danger, knowing she was on a dangerous planet, filled with dangerous people unfit to live in society. So why did her parents go outside? Although she no longer recalled their faces, she remembered they were always covered in snowy down or dusty sand. Their work required them to be out in the fields for days, weeks, even months on end. She didn’t remember why, just that they were always gone, until that one day they never came back.

Her uncle did his best to raise her. It helped that she expressed an interest in his work; Lilith had a knack for fiddling with machinery, and her small hands as a child were precious for the delicate and finer work. For years, she helped her uncle make what looked like suits of armor, built in varying sizes. The really big ones where the most time consuming, and usually had other people (like her uncle) working on them as well. She soon learned to call them ACVs, or Armored Combat Vehicles.

As Lilith grew older, she came to understand she was living on a private government testing ground. However, she wouldn’t comprehend the full situation until much later. Fifteen years of blissful ignorance shattered on that day, the day Lilith managed to slip outside unnoticed. Most of the base was hidden underground, but the part that was above was built into solid stone. The first thing she noticed about the surface was the unbearable heat. Why did she want to go outside if it was this hot? She looked around, and noticed armored people hopping into armored vehicles, setting off somewhere. The curiosity had gotten the better of her, and she decided to hide herself inside one of the supply cruisers. As the convoy moved, she looked inside the nearby tarp-covered crates, full of munitions of all sizes and strange weapons. She had hitched a ride to a field test. When the vehicle slowed to a stop, she peeked outside. They were at the edge of a massive canyon. A ruined sandstone city sat at the top, and cave entrances littered the walls below.

Fascinated, she hopped out of the cruiser, crouching between a pair of rocks. Shaded from the sun and from any prying eyes, she waited, heart pounding in anticipation of what she thought would be a stunning show. One minute. Five minutes. Ten. The quick rapport of gunfire made her jump, almost scuffing a knee on the side of her alcove. She had been expecting some kind of warning. A shout over an intercom, or maybe a horn. Instead, crack after crack as unseen projectiles split the air, followed by the steady whine as they made their harrowing descent. They came into view within seconds, thin trails of light arcing down the canyon’s sides. Where they hit, rock erupted outwards, turned molten-red by the force. And in their deluge, a noise she hadn’t expected, not the awaited shouts or horns.

She heard the sound of screams.

Straining, she leaned over the edge, lacking conviction in her own senses. Maybe it was a leftover ring from the weapon fire, or the sound of a dying koyott. She had never seen a koyott, but her uncle had told her stories about the wild canids and their terrifying cries. She was going to see her first koyott, recognize it, tell the soldier men to stop their fire. They would see her as a hero! She’d turn the tide away from an innocent creature, and save the men from bloodying their hands with undue harm. Closer she crept, closer, until the tips of her toes pushed pebbles into the abyss. It wasn’t a koyott. Beyond the dust and debris, beyond the fire and smoke, familiar silhouettes emerged from one of the many caves.

Her throat turned dry, her fingers numb. Surely the soldiers saw this. In the echoing silence, the screams and cries were crisp, magnified by the canyon’s curve. A crowd, not a lone being. People, not animals. Another barrage of blasts scarred her to the soul, and she couldn’t tear her eyes away from the blazing tendrils that tore downward. They struck in the midst of the group, flinging forms apart like dolls, flinging limbs apart like…

God, she felt sick. What was this?! People didn’t… couldn’t… it wasn’t like they didn’t know! Another noise broke through the mania, a noise that curdled her blood more than the screams could ever hope. One of the soldiers was laughing.

“They do it every day.” Lilith jumped for the third time, spinning around to face a boy about her age. He had hair the same color as the sand beneath their feet, and eyes that seemed etched with more worry than she’d ever seen. She quickly put two and two together, and threw her hands in a shooing gesture.

“Get away or they’ll hit you with that stuff too!”

He shook his head. “Even if they knew I was here, they’d just use a gun. Less expensive, less collateral.” The boy coughed, and turned his eyes to the canyon edge. “Important collateral, at least.”

Lilith frowned. His lack of perturbation was incredibly disconcerting, and the distinction of ‘important’ made her skin crawl, if only by the implication. “But…”

He turned back to her, and her words snagged in her throat. Swallowing, she tried to say more, tried to say that this was obviously wrong and that those men were nothing short of monsters, that they had to be turned in to the base for what was basically mass murder. But for all her confusion, for all her thoughts, she could only find one word to complete her sentence.

“Why?”

“What’s your name, kid?” the boy asked. Immediately, Lilith went on the defensive.

“I’m not a kid! I- you’re a kid!” It was a stupid retort, and she knew it, but it was all her reeling mind could conjure.

“Very mature,” he replied, and she fell silent. She knew when she had been bettered, and like it or not, he was right.

“Lilith,” she finally said, resigned, and went on to mutter “but I’m not a kid…” in tones she hoped he both could and couldn’t hear.

“A pleasure to meet you, Lilith. I’m Liam.” The boy shifted, settling cross-legged beside her, and began to tell her many things. As he spoke, his fingers worked, picking rocks out of the sand and rubbing them over and over, but his face retained the same complacent sadness throughout. He told a story she had never heard before. A story about the place she thought she knew, thought she understood, but far from the words she’d heard repeated throughout her life.

Melbourne was a prison planet of the New Human Empire. A wasteland where the dregs of society were sent, the worst of the worst, cursing them and their progeny to an eternity of desert heat. It was, after all, the easiest way for the government to get living subjects for their tests.

Living subjects.

“But… that’s illegal! That’s wrong!” she protested, and he held a finger to her lips.

“I know. They know. That doesn’t stop them from doing it.”

Some of the soldiers, shouted, and Liam looked over his shoulder nonchalantly.

“Listen, you should go. They’re leaving soon. Just be happy you’re on the safe side, alright?” He gave her a pat on the shoulder, peeked in the direction of the men, and disappeared.

The entire ride back, Lilith sat in stony silence, staring blankly at the wall of the cruiser. The acrid stench of chemicals seeped the inside, now. If she hadn’t been so lost in thought, she would have retched. But her mind lay far away from the foul-smelling air, far away from the hum of motors and the gentle sway as the caravan was caressed by winds. She left a part of herself behind in that canyon. She was uninjured, true, but still was not whole, and the missing piece was dead as the motionless shapes the soldiers had left behind.

She made it back inside the base free from notice. Though she’d known this place her entire life, it felt different. The long neat halls were depressingly sterile, the fluorescent lights a soulless glare, the faces that smiled at her masks that covered monster’s maws. Shivering, she let her feet take her along the familiar-yet-unfamiliar path, the hollow thuds of her boot soles staggering to the hum of the ventilation. She had to talk with her uncle. Now that she understood, she needed…

Confirmation? Apologies? Ignorance? She didn’t know. None of that would erase the horrors she had seen. An aimless search to fill the void of being, the missing piece of innocence.

When she entered the shop, her uncle was working. At the sound of the door, he looked up from the metal sheet he had been etching, and frowned.

“Where have you been? You’ve been missing all morning. I was worried,” He said, setting his tool aside. Lilith watched, silent, unsure what to say or how to begin. “Well, don’t just stand there. Hand me that torch, will you?”

Lilith’s cold eyes turned to the table by the door. Unthinkingly, she wrapped her hands around the cannister, and walked down the stairs to her uncle.

“Thank you kindly,” he mumbled, struggling to screw the base of the nozzle to a cannister of gas. After a few tries, it clicked, and he looked back up at his niece. His brow furrowed in concern. “What’s gotten into you, girl? First you run off, now you act like a block of ice? Is everything alright?”

“No.”

Her uncle took a step back at the sharp, almost aggressive tone. He set the simmering torch on the table and folded his arms.

“What’s that voice for, now? Someone hurt you?” Concern still tinged his eyes, but there was also an inkling of apprehension. To him, this was unexpected, unprecedented. The cheerful, puckish Lilith may sometimes pout or sour, but had never before turned to this jagged knife.

“No one hurt me.” Lilith took a step closer, finally gathering her thoughts. “Do you know what you’re doing? What we did? What we make?”

“Aye, ACVs. Risers. What’s that-”

“NO!” Lilith’s throat stung with the force of inflection. “That’s not what I mean! Do you… do you know how many people… innocent people they hurt?!”

“Some, I’ll bet.” His words were quiet, his voice sliding between comfort and guilt. “But they’re weapons. To protect. They kill the bad soldiers, and keep us safe.”

“Those. Weren’t. Soldiers.” She was shaking now. All the ice she had built, all the tension, was melting in the fires of outrage. Her eyes were wet and her face hot, but she didn’t care. She couldn’t care. “Soldiers have guns. Soldiers have tanks. SOLDIERS FIGHT BACK.”

She pushed at the table. The light aluminum flipped easily, sending the tools on top skidding across the floor.

“Soldiers don’t die screaming in a canyon! Soldiers don’t beg! How were those people dangerous?! How could they be soldiers, if you brought them here?!”

“I… I didn’t bring them... “ dazed, her uncle took another step back, his hands held up defensively. “They’re criminals, Lilith. They’re not the soldiers. They… they help us learn, help us know how to fight back proper. I don’t like it either, but it’s for a good cause. Their sacrifice keeps us safe.”

“DON’T you dare talk about sacrifice!” she screamed, throwing a fist against his chest. It hurt. He only swayed, making no effort to defend himself. “Don’t’ you DARE say they’re helping! If it helps so much, why don’t you and your friends go down there? Why don’t YOU die for your good cause?!”

Fist after fist, blow after blow, and he only watched. Didn’t speak, didn’t move. It infuriated her. How could he just stand there? How could he just take it?

“If you think it’s okay, then you should die too!!!”

A hiss. Lilith paid it no mind, but her uncle tensed, turning to glance over his shoulder..

“Look at me!” She pounded against his chest. “Look at me and tell me you shouldn’t!”

“Lilith-”

120 liters of oxy acetylene, leaking from a mis-clamped seal and sparked by the flare of the wayward torch, ignited. Arms enveloped her, a great weight shielding from the brunt of the blast, but agony still tore its claws through her exposed limbs. She hit the floor. It didn’t hurt, surprisingly. All her pain seemed focused on where the blue flames licked, all her slipping focus, all her failing sense.

The door opened. There were voices she couldn’t hear from ears that felt thick and sluggish. She was bleeding. Her ears… she tried to wipe it away, but her arm wouldn’t move. Neither could. The pain in the legs turned to coldness, the pain in her arms to prickling needles. As the liquid world dripped out of sight, she relaxed, happy at least that the hurt was gone.

The time between her slipping into unconsciousness and waking up on a rusted operating table was void. A large expanse of nothing, no thought, no feeling, no memory. She only knew what happened by the recanting of others.

After the explosion, soldiers ran as quickly as they could to the shop. They found the lifeless husk of her uncle embracing a battered, still breathing body. Her legs were shredded, her arms all but missing, caked in blood from countless cuts and lesions. She was dying. Whether out of disregard for the instigator or out of pure neglect, they didn’t try to save her. Instead, she ended up being dumped into the desert with the rest of the compound’s refuse. It was the scavengers that found her there, poking for treasures among the trash, and they who brought her back to the prisoner’s camp. They patched her up as best they could; blood loss, internal damage, and the early onset of sepsis made it a struggle. And for better or worse… she survived.

Origins:

Theme: Epic Battle Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-l27TK5I0
Emotional Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMM7tIIUkeY

-- Vehicle Sheet --

Name: Armored Combat Vehicle ADENIUM or lovingly nicknamed as Piece of Shit

Role in Combat: typically used on the front lines for a variety of combat roles

Weapons: Gatling gun, plasma cannon, bomb launcher, and anything that can be held in its left hand can easily become a useable weapon

Mech Origins: made from scrapped parts by yours truly for the efforts in the war

Appearance: Image

Other Features: it was built for higher maneuverability and made to handle single handed weapons such as large blades or other guns outfitted for its size. There is a minor energy shield however it was designed to handle close quarter combat over heavy fire at long ranges.
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."