White Privilege

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Shadow101
Bronze

Re: White Privilege

Post by Shadow101 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:29 pm

lol I haven't been in awhile. I went back and read everything over again. I still don't see white privilege any where to me it doesn't exist. But I guess that's just me. Your surroundings does not make who you are. You make who you are. As I have been saying I would pick weeds before committing a crime.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:47 pm

Shadow, you aren’t the human race, I don’t care what you personally would do in a hypothetical, I care what people who actually facing these hardships today do.
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Shadow101
Bronze

Post by Shadow101 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:26 am

There is no excuse to break the law. That way of thinking just keeps giving them the ok instead of taking responsibility for there OWN actions.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:42 am

At no point have I said there shouldn’t be a punishment for breaking the law

However I am proposing we be proactive address the problems that push people into crime, rather than pretending those problems in our society don’t exist and can’t be addressed.

Our society isn’t perfect, but here’s the thing, we can fix it and in fixing it we can lower the crime rate.
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Shadow101
Bronze

Post by Shadow101 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:58 pm

I'm ok with that statement. I agree that maybe there are things that we can do to make life a little bit easier for those affected by poverty. Nothing pushes people into crime other then themselves. As I said I was poorer then dirt working two jobs at 15 years old. The reason why people turn to crime is two reasons. 1 quick cash and 2 the reward is much greater then working a 9-5 job. However nether of those reasons gives anyone any excuse to break the law. And when people act like that just fills heads that it's ok to break the law because of my situation. If I go into a store and steal food that's it. No money nothing other then food because my family hasen't eaten in days is that ok? No I broke the law and no one put myself into that situation other then myself.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Man, it’s almost like you stealing food from a grocery store doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and there are factors that pushed you to take this option because you would rather not see your children starve.

Fascinating.

Shadow101
Bronze

Post by Shadow101 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 pm

I have two kids. Fell on hard times never broke a law to feed them? Why you ask there are soup kitchens, food pantries etc that I can go about doing things the right way. If I can do it so can you and or anyone else.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Shadow, your situation is not the same as everyone else’s

Shadow101
Bronze

Post by Shadow101 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:35 pm

So my kid starving and there kid starving is not the same? Please explain.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Man, I wonder if there are these things call factors that influence the lives of other people, and I wonder if these factors might cause someone who lives in New York to have a different life and outlook than someone who lives in Mobile, or Savannah, or Indianapolis.