You Won't Fade (Xylohem)

Light-Witch

You Won't Fade (Xylohem)

Post by Light-Witch » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 pm

"Come on, Raine! You promised that you'd go meet the Morgans with me, and now it's the day that we decided on." Seán, the older guy with an Irish accent, spoke as he carefully pulled on the younger woman's arm. "I need your Magic: The Gathering Prism deck first, otherwise I'm not going over there." Raine had reluctantly agreed to meet the energetic male's neighbors, but her conditions weren't met, so she was being stubborn about it. A new trait that had developed after the accident, and her arm was still in the off-white cast from her fingers to just below her elbow. Yes, she took her Percocet for her arm and the recently healed concussion, but the thoughts were her own. Why hadn't her mother told her that she was adopted, or that she was just found before they made the effort to adopt her? Next thing she knew, Matthew had walked out with his friend's Magic deck and slipped it inside her bag with a smile. No wonder Rai had no idea she was adopted: her and Matt appeared to be siblings when they were side by side, and Seán knew it while accepting her as a Smith rather than rejecting her.

"You should've waited for me to find it, Angel. I knew where it was, and you could use new friends after..." Matthew's voice trailed off, and Raine retreated further into her own mind as she brought her legs to her chest. "Hey, we never blamed you for the accident, and if it wasn't for Nash being on call that night, you might not have survived transit." Seán put his arm around her shoulders, quickly pulling her into a tight hug as he sensed her returning to them. "How many did you say there were again for your new neighbors?" Her voice was quiet, but it was strong. A good sign that she was going to try, but neither of the guys could be certain about that. "My mom already met the parents, Ethan and Anna, but they have two sons. Eli and... Aruis, I think? They haven't really seen much of Lyons yet, but if you hit it off with them, maybe we'll take them exploring so they can adjust faster." Seán was nervous about how the young woman may react to new people, but if any of the old her remained, she was going to be okay. Rai got up with help from the guys, and they made their way next door since Matthew had them stay over the night before after she showed signs of attempting to self-harm despite no scars being present.

The three of them had a color that belonged to them, and it was always shown in their style as a result. Matthew had something red on him, today with his shirt while wearing cargo shorts and overcast sneakers that were well worn. Seán, whether it was because he was from Ireland or it just being a coincidence, was always caught wearing green since today was his shirt and the laces of his Converse All-Stars with jean shorts on, but Raine was known for wearing two colors. The young woman was wearing a black dress that came down to her ankles while being sleeveless alongside a white sweater that was open in the front with silver flip-flops on her feet, and it prompted many to call her an angel despite feeling far from it. Her hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, making her face appear more angular than it was, and she made the attempt to keep her hands clasped behind her back as the guys knocked on the door. Once someone answered, they explained that they were welcoming the family to the neighborhood (which was what Seán was supposed to do alone, but he pulled the siblings into it as backup), and Rai kept her eyes down the whole time, silently wishing that she refused to do this now that it was happening.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

"It's only a nightmare, and soon we'll be set free." - NateWantsToBattle

Xylohem
Intermediate Mod

Re: You Won't Fade (Xylohem)

Post by Xylohem » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 am

Laying back in his bed, the young man rested his head comfortably on a pillow he had recently unpacked. Putting on a pair of headphones he smiled and quickly set about preparing to relax in his room. Quickly the man pulled a book from his opened pack and held the book above his head. With a bright smile, he opened to the bookmarked page and began reading. It took him a few moments before he realized he had forgotten to start his music. With a groan, the young man held his place with a finger and grabbed his phone. Opening Spotify, he started playing his 'Reading' playlist and quickly returned to his book.

Due to his focus on the book and his music, Arius didn't notice the knocking at the door to the small house. And he didn't even notice as his family seemed to scamper about trying to unpack and see who decided to knock on their door. Carefully Anna opened the door. She stood at nearly six feet tall, her bright auburn hair seemed to light up as the sun shined on her. Anna wore a pair of work jeans and a comfortable green t-shirt. Looking at the three young adults she nodded her head and called her husband. Ethan moved past the doorway, his tanned arms holding a large box. With a gruff nod, the man moved on to put the box in its place. "Oh, you mustn't think he doesn't like any of you. He's just a bit off-putting when he has a lot to get done." Anna opened the door slightly and called back into the house. "Eli! Get your brother and come to meet these nice people!" With a smile, she gestured for them to enter.

"But what is this, that I can't see with ice cold hands taking hold of me. When God is gone and the Devil takes hold, who will have mercy on your soul. Oh, Death, оh Death, oh Death, No wealth, no ruin, no silver, no gold Nothing satisfies me but your soul-" Suddenly the solemn song was pulled from his ears and a voice rung through the lyrics. Standing over his adopted older brother, Eli smiled. His blonde hair seemed to fall in waves down past his ears. "Come on. Mom's orders." Arius groaned and Eli chuckled. Quickly Eli grabbed the book from Arius and ran out the door, to which Arius responded by jumping off of his bed and launching after his brother.

Eli rapidly led the older boy down to the main entrance of the house where Anna stood waiting for them. As Eli came to a stop before his mother, Arius came bounding after him and immediately ripped the book from his brother's grasp. "Oh, you are such a dick."

"Yeah, yeah. But I beat you to mom." Arius set the book aside on a small table and began to wrestle with his little brother. Trying to put the blonde haired kid into a headlock, Anna sighed and shook her head. She apologized for her son's behavior to the group and quickly whistled. The pair looked up from their little game and saw the three other people around their age looking at them. Arius let go of Eli with a gentle shove which made Eli smirk and chuckle. With a wave of his hand, the blonde haired boy smiled. "Hey, I'm Eli. Nice to meet you."

"Name's Arius, and ditto with my little bro." Arius stood a couple inches taller than his younger brother and his dark black hair and streaks of deep crimson hidden within. His silver eyes almost seemed white when the light hit them right, and he wore a simple black t-shirt and black pants. However, the pants hand many buckles on each leg with a single chain extending from the studded belt he wore down to a buckle by his knee. Over the black t-shirt, he had on a black and crimson button-up shirt that was currently open. He seemed to be wearing black boots that also had buckles on them, though it wasn't possible to see how tall the boot was without him pulling up a pant leg.
Your secret is safe with my indifference.

Comic Universe, Anaslyn Xyrleth, Ruvari Ereth, Acheron Nightworth, Eilistraee Ymera

Light-Witch

Post by Light-Witch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 am

Raine barely glanced up at the woman, finding herself slowly retreating while giving a gentle smile to distract herself from the dark thoughts within. She nodded whenever the couple spoke, but a voice caught her attention that immediately caused her to look up for the first time, showing that she was completely there for the first time. The oldest male next to the father was wrestling with the youngest male, and when the mother whistled, they were immediately at attention without any hesitation. Arius. The young woman quickly averted her eyes when they met his, and it was by doing so that she revealed to them that she was in a cast. "Nice to meet you guys. I'm Matthew, the ball of energy is my best friend Seán, and the little lady trying to hide her face for some reason is my little sister Raine." Matthew gave his adopted sister a reassuring hug, but when she uncovered her face, her attention was still focused on the dark haired male from the new family. Rai's earth colored eyes met his, and it was as if she was her old self for a second as she spoke.

"Well met."

While it did slip into a comfortable silence for a second, it was Seán's idea to help them unpack just so they could get to know them better. He assigned Matthew to help Ethan and Anna, and he made the decision to help Eli with the intention of leaving Raine and Arius together to talk. She couldn't do any lifting because of her arm, but she sensed something was different about him that was both familiar and new to her. "So..." Her voice had a slightly bitter edge to it since she couldn't really help much, but it had that edge due to not wanting to be here. "Sean's usually like this when he needs to buy time, and only because his mom expects him to help out a bit around here before he can be accepted back into the house." She avoided his gaze as she spoke, but only because his eyes made her feel as though she was being discharged all over again due to the morning being gray rather than blue. Rai did like his style, so she made sure to find a way to let him know that she liked it more than the dresses that she was usually gifted with at family events.

Speaking of family, Raine's adopted father was still on tour, and she knew how to bring up the band. "I'm guessing from your style that you like rock, and Breaking Starlight is currently on tour if you know who they are." The band her adopted father started, and while they had just come out with a new album, they were touring extensively so they could reach many of their fans. She was the one who told him to stay on tour despite the family tragedy, and he agreed only if she promised to find someone to be with before he returned. She looked nothing like her dad, but her mom had some similarities to her despite having adopted her and the two of them were of Korean descent. "I'm a fan, and believe me, Michael's much nicer in person than you may think, and he keeps the cursing to a minimum despite the way he appears while performing." She softened as she spoke, clearly finding that conversation was flowing easily despite having just met Aruis a few minutes ago. This can't be real, but I know that it is. Could Aruis be the cause of this feeling? Rai waited patiently for him to respond, suddenly appearing distant since she didn't want to make it clear that he was slowly filling her thoughts.

Xylohem
Intermediate Mod

Post by Xylohem » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 pm

With the group splitting up Arius knew Eli and Seán would have fun. The two seemed a little out of the box and it made Arius smile. After taking a seat in one of the unloaded cushioned chairs he crossed one leg over the other as he watched the peculiar girl before him. She was cute, and the way she acted only made her cuter. Though he noticed her attention shifted toward her cast and only taking a moment he examined the cast. Watching her still he thought it best to not look at the cast any more than the once, and he hid his questions about how she was injured as she spoke.

Hearing Seán's predicament Arius couldn't help but chuckle slightly. "That sounds like something my mom would do too." Keeping his tone laid back he examined her closely. She didn't seem too open and a part of him felt sad for her and hurt at the same time. "Of course she doesn't trust you. She hates it here because of you." The darker voice in the back of his mind pulled at his anger, but he kept his smile bright and quickly changed his focus. His silver eyes turned to the small coffee table near Raine where a few books sat.

As he began to read the titles on the sides of the books he nearly missed what she said next. However, the mention of Breaking Starlight made his eyes moved to hers. "I love music in general, but Breaking Starlight makes great music." Hearing that the band was currently on tour he moved for his lax position to sitting up in his chair. "I didn't know they were on tour though. Damn, I need to check and see if they are coming through Lyons." A motherly voice broke through the conversation reprimanding Arius for his use of a swear word. To which he quickly yelled back an apology and smiled sheepishly toward Raine.

"Wait. You know Michael Smith?" Raising an eyebrow Arius watched Raine curiously. While he knew Breaking Starlight had a good following he never expected someone to seem so familiar with any of the band members. Something about the girl before him held his attention, and it wasn't just that she was cute... No. Beautiful. That was the word he was looking for. But it wasn't that. There was something around her that seemed bright, and part of him, when he began to realize the light she seemed to carry, began to curl defensively inside of him.

Comic Universe, Anaslyn Xyrleth, Ruvari Ereth, Acheron Nightworth, Eilistraee Ymera

Light-Witch

Post by Light-Witch » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:54 am

Of course Raine knew Michael Smith, and while she hesitated to say how she knew him to Arius, it was only because many had become friends with her only because of her relationship with him. "He's my dad, or adopted dad anyway. As far as them coming through Lyons, that's likely not going to happen since their tour ends in a few months and last I spoke to him, they were just barely starting to make their way back over to the east coast. Speaking from experience, just make sure that if we end up being friends, don't use that as an excuse to talk to me or Matt." There were many times her and Matthew got benefits to concerts they could attend in the past, and any who went with them would get the same benefits until they got older and chose their circle over acquaintances. "Matt's his stepson, but it didn't take long for him to accept him as his own." It was clear that he was fighting something inside, but at the same time, he acted as if nothing was wrong. In a sense, he was just like her, but there was a darkness that was just out of reach. He doesn't like the light that remains, it scares him. A voice whispered from nowhere, but she had no idea why she was still bright after causing the death of her adopted mother. The moment that thought crossed her mind, Rai sat down and refused to look up for about a minute, nearly blocking everything out besides her thoughts until Ari spoke again.

"Sorry, just going over a few things mentally." Raine answered the unspoken question with a lie, and she moved to the window to avoid looking into Arius's eyes. It was too soon to tell him that she had gotten into a car accident, one that had killed her adopted mother, but she could let him know that she was getting the cast off within a week or two once it got closer. Maybe it was the side of her that was naturally protective of those around her, but right now it was more focused on her than anyone else at that moment. "I'm usually more trusting than I appear to be now, but I'm trying to be open." Her good hand traced her cast absentmindedly, and she felt that there was some good in the dark haired male. It was part of the reason she wasn't trying to make an excuse to leave, and also because there was no attempt to harm her. If Ari wanted to harm her, he would've done so, and Rai knew that she could defend herself if that ever happened.

It was soon after that when Raine sensed something was off, and then she immediately took off running right after. Not even caring that she appeared to be going off into a house she was unfamiliar with, she traversed the house until she found Matthew was about to hit his head because one of the statues was going to fall. Shoving him out of the way, she caught the statue with ease before giving it to Arius's parents despite the shock that was present in that moment. "Thanks Rai, and don't be so shocked about what she did. That's pretty common for her." She lifted herself onto the counter before taking a deep breath, and it was a genuine smile that spread across her face. "It came in handy when I felt that my dad and Matt were in danger, but it's a story for another time." She appeared to show a glimpse of her old self to those around her, and it was gone within moments of it appearing. "Raine, it's not your fault. What happened to mom-" Rai took off the moment he mentioned their mom, and Matt didn't make any effort to stop her just as Seán came downstairs with Eli in tow.

"Matthew Edgar Fray, did you mention your mother again? You know how she feels about the accident, and yet you brought her up anyway." Seán then decided to go after Raine, and it was that moment when the way she had been acting began to make sense. While she did seem to be her old self around Aruis, it was clear that the "accident" and their mom were subjects that needed time to be accepted as topics once again. "Her and our mom were in a car accident, and she survived while mom died in transit. I wouldn't talk to her about it until she's ready to do so, but she's not herself right now." The simplest explanation he could give, and yet it was clear that the way she was acting was justified as a result. Matt could tell that the older male was bringing out the sister he grew up with, but why was she denying that? Next thing everyone knew, Rai and Seán were back, and she was more collected this time around. "I want to go home Matt." He wasted no time with saying goodbye and walking out with her, but he quickly gave Ari her phone number so he could text her once it appeared as though she calmed down.

Once Seán confirmed that number was indeed hers, he politely excused himself to go back home, but Aruis was the one he felt needed to say something to with his Irish accent. "Raine has never been like she was with anyone else, not even those she's closest to. You're different, and it may be what she needs to find her old ways again, but be patient or we'll lose her for good." With that, he was gone without another word, but it was clear that he enjoyed being over there despite the scene with Raine. Time will tell if he decides to go over there again or not, but he wanted the two of them to get to know each other despite having just met.

Last edited by Light-Witch on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xylohem
Intermediate Mod

Post by Xylohem » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:49 pm

With her mention of how she was Michael Smith's daughter, Arius looked surprised. Her words quickly turned to a sour tone and he noticed the pain easily. This unsettled him and slowly he nodded and leaned back in his seat. "Well, it's cool that you're his daughter. But I would never use a friend like that." Slowly his gaze looked to the ceiling and a flash of black coated his eyes for a moment as his smile faded. Pain... He couldn't hide it this time, no matter how hard he tried... "I never betray a friend's trust." Carefully he pieced together a convincing smile and returned his gaze to Raine. "And I'd much rather buy a ticket the old-fashioned way." With a care-free chuckle, Arius set one of his legs over the other and kept his facade up.

Keeping his smile was easy until he noticed a flash a pain across her face. Something happened... Was it the pain? Did she notice the single moment of pain? No, it had to be something else. Ari's eyes watched Raine with a tender concern, but the twisting in his gut only seemed to shift slightly. "Don't speak. Not strong enough... Need to feed..." Before he could say anything she reassured him, but it didn't really. "Eh, I understand. I'm just a random new face that you fear would use you to get to your dad. Regretfully, in your case, that would happen more than anything I'm used to. So, in time, I'll find a way to earn your trust." Arius stood and put his hands in his pockets as he gave her a truthful smile.

But it was only seconds later that she began to run off. The rest of the time seemed like a blur as Arius desperately fought to catch up with Raine and her friends. After defending her brother Matthew, and what he had said, Seán and Raine went off on their own. Arius nearly went with them but was stopped by himself and his brother Eli. Carefully Anna offered to get Matthew a drink of ice water and she seemed more than willing to give one to both Raine and Seán as well. However, when the pair returned, Ethan sighed and nodded his head. Anna seemed to be struggling as she couldn't help Raine, though Ethan placed a hand on her shoulder and tenderly pulled her toward him. "Well, it was wonderful to meet you three. And thank you for the help." Ethan's voice was surprisingly refined. While he looked more like a mountain man, he spoke in a refined manner.

Anna repeated the gist of what her husband had said and Eli smiled happily believing he had made a new friend. Though Arius received a strange farewell. Matthew seemed insistent on giving Ari his sister's number, to which Seán came over to verify. This was peculiar, but Arius didn't care. Raine was nice, and he did want to get to know her better. Regardless of the twisting in his gut. "Uh, thanks, Matt," Was all he could say before Seán took his place. And it was Seán's words that seemed to shake Arius' heart. 'Lose her for good?' Part of him felt more concerned than ever, while the darker part of him seemed to writhe with pleasure. It disgusted him that a part of him would be so grateful to lose Raine.

After they had left, Arius looked at his phone and sighed. 'Well, I guess there isn't really a better time.' As his family moved around the house to finish unpacking Ari went to his room and texted Raine. "Hey. This is Arius. I still need to earn your trust in some way. Mind telling me how I can do that in a way that isn't weird?" Laying back on his bed again, he closed his eyes for a moment. It was a moment too much as a wave of cold flooded his body. "I am HUNGRY!" Suddenly a sharp pain filled his chest making his body convulse and curl into a ball on the bed. 'No... NO! Leave me alone! You're not real!' Once more Arius fought against the pull of the darkness inside of him as it seemed to chuckle. "I will be fed..." Slowly the pain and chill fell away from his body, though as his eyes opened Arius saw a figure standing in his bedroom. It wasn't his parents or his brother. No. It was something else, right? No, not possible. Gently he rubbed his eyes and when he opened them again the figure was gone.