[REQ] Fairy Dust

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
Aqua
Bronze

[REQ] Fairy Dust

Post by Aqua » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:13 am

Have you ever wondered what life would be like if fairy tales were real?

Well you can stop wondering, it's not as glamorous as you think. Turns out that 'fairy tales' were real in a conventional sense. Just like when we found out Jesus was real, but was actually a Vegas-style con man before his time...There was a Cinderella but she was beaten to death by her abusive step-mother, there was a Rapunzel but she starved to death in the desert. Orcs and Elves and everything in between are all real, and the laws that separate them are non-existent.

The Whites are in control of everything in society, and every other race and species they consider to be below them. In reality society is controlled by an elite group of Whites, and everyone else is given priority but is also consequent of their actions. Just as they discriminate against all races, all races push back against them.

Humans by far have much more rights than any fairy tale creature. Racism still exists between humans, but human racism towards Orcs and Elves is far, far worse. Fairy tale creatures aren't considered to have human rights, and are seen little more than cattle despite their highly intelligent nature.

What we deal with today is a dire situation. There's a drug out on the streets right now known as 'Fairy Dust', a term that was used in the past to describe other drugs like Cocaine and Meth. Nowadays its a real substance, but it's made by killing Fairies and grinding their bones into a fine powder. The powder is then ingested and the user gains...otherworldly abilities. For a short time their 5 senses are increased tenfold and they may even gain special powers like the ability to manipulate fire or manipulate water.

This drug comes at a high cost, the overdose rate is 98%. People are dying like flies, and the substance is highly addictive. The Fairy race is facing extinction while other races hunt them to fulfill their desire for the drug. The drug's addictive nature can be passed simply by being within a certain radius around the exposed drug. It's distinctive Candy Floss smell and skin contact can get a person addicted. It's a terrible situation for everybody involved.

How did the government choose to handle this? For the first time, Elves and Orcs are being given rights....Only if they enroll in the Police Force.

Los Angeles Police Department, the first ever Inter-Species police force. There was precedent, they supposed. All to stop the extinction of life as we know it. But even if we can possibly stop extinction, can they stop the deterioration of infrastructure within cities?
Anybody can give me a compliment, but the only ones that really mean much to me are from my princess.

Aqua
Bronze

Re: [REQ] Fairy Dust

Post by Aqua » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:14 am

1. Biggest rule, don't be a massive douche. Just sayin, I don't like it when characters are douches for the sake of being a douche. If it legitimately has a point its fine. I'm all for tension and conflict between races and species, that's kinda the whole point of the RP. But seriously, try and have some motivation.
2. Romance is fine.
3. try youre best to be grammatically correct
4. No god modding
5. I've got final say, other than mods and above.
6. Modern weapons aren't really a thing. Guns haven't been developed, everybody still uses swords and hammers and stuff. I will allow flintlock pistols and muskets, because as somebody has pointed out, they're a good in between. They're one shot and take a little time to reload.
7. Top of the CS "I hate guns."
Last edited by Aqua on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anybody can give me a compliment, but the only ones that really mean much to me are from my princess.

Aqua
Bronze

Post by Aqua » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:14 am

Name:

Race:

Weapons:

Personality:

Bio:

Appearance:

Extra:
Last edited by Aqua on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Inferring from the fact that guns haven't been invented yet, is this set in the medieval times? Standard JPRG universe?
My mum only lets me drink coffee if it's decaffeinated.

Aqua
Bronze

Post by Aqua » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:33 pm

No, completely modern day. Cars and skyscrapers too. Like I said, the Los Angeles Police Department will bethe sort of center focus of the RP. I personally just kinda hate gunplay in RPs because its point and shoot, super high damage and not a lot of risk.

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:45 pm

I agree with that point, in the last post-apocalyptic RP I was in avoiding autohitting the other guy in combat was a chore.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to get a CS up by the weekend.
My mum only lets me drink coffee if it's decaffeinated.

Mystress Nyx

Post by Mystress Nyx » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:08 pm

Interesting. I might join.
New to the site, but long time RPer. Let's see what happens.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:29 pm

try youre best to be grammatically correct
So... much... hate...

Premise looks neat, though. I'm interested. What races are allowed for characters?

Azra

Post by Azra » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:37 am

I do really like the idea behind it, reminds me a bit of Fables which is comic that sounds great but I've yet to read lol. Would people be able to play off fairy tales? Is there magic and if so do regular humans have magic or is that one of the draws of Fairy Dust?

Also I've never seen an issue with guns in a rp tbh. Regardless how fast a person wants to say the round is and how great their accuracy is the rule against auto hitting in basically all rps means they can never say it hits. It's then up to the user to decide if it does. Sure it could be point and shoot as a post but I feel like it's up to the writer to make the attack interesting. One can give it flavor by using surroundings or character traits and so on. And honestly the more any attack is played up and comes off as someone was having fun with it I've always felt like that's more likely what others will try and sell. It really feels like a limitation based on preferences that goes against the setting to me, is your rp but I wanted to comment on that

Aqua
Bronze

Post by Aqua » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:09 am

Any race I'd be inclined to allow for the RP.

People can totally play off of fairytales. There is 'magic' in a sense, but only like pureblooded, high society members have any magic that is like shooting fire or creating water. Most magic is like typical 'party tricks', like creating sparks from the fingertips or making small illusions that are easy to see through. Now when Fairy Dust is ingested, those base abilities get boosted and those easy to see through illusions can suddenly have smell, feel, and taste- despite being an illusion that will fade. So its like an amplifier.

Humans don't really have magic abilities, but as you said when they use Fairy Dust it's like gaining semblance of powers for them. It amplifies their magic sensitivity and allows them to make some use of it.

My big problem with guns comes from personal experience in a few RPs where somebody shooting a gun at somebody but leaving it open to whether the user is hit or not leaves one of my players stuck for a few days. Because when the distance is so short and a bullet travels so fast, my player doesn't want to just "Oh, well I'm just gonna sidestep the bullet" and there's no real way for them to avoid the attack unless they somehow try to mitigate damage by like twisting their body a little bit.

I wouldn't mind if we wanted to try guns, I've just had bad experiences trying to run RPs with them before. I don't personally think its all that limiting removing guns from play, considering theres plenty of old style weaponry similar to guns that don't deal so much damage- like long bows, crossbows, etc. I might consider guns a little more limiting just because it means that melee play might be largely overlooked in character creation. who wants to choose a sword or a greatsword as their main weapon when they can just carry around a shotgun that can deal way more damage and has a longer reach?

I do understand where you're coming from. I'll mull it over, and I might go back on my 'no guns' rule.