[Request] Masked

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
Snowskeeper

Re: [Request] Masked

Post by Snowskeeper » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:25 am

And your right. I said he had a photographic memory. I never said he had perfect recall. A photographic memory is just that. It allows someone who focuses on what they are seeing at that exact time to essential take a picture with their minds. This allows them to recall those memories, only, with greater detail and to maintain the memory for a longer period of time than they would a regular memory. However that memory is like a photograph also in the way that if you don't make sure to care for the memory then it will dull, smudge, and eventually fade all together. Which means that a bunch of images flying around in the back of his mind would not be able to just be randomly remembered. I said it was a natural ability, not some misrepresented comic ability that uses the name "photographic memory" whenever they are actually talking about perfect recall.
WIkipedia wrote: eidetic memory referring to the ability to view memories like photographs for a few minutes,[3] and photographic memory referring to the ability to recall pages of text or numbers, or similar, in great detail.[4][5] When the concepts are distinguished, eidetic memory is reported to occur in a small number of children and as something generally not found in adults,[2][6] while true photographic memory has never been demonstrated to exist.
Photographic memory is the term used to describe perfect recall. As you noted, it does not exist. As far as I'm aware, there's no equivalent of eidetic memory for muscle memory, either, although it's not really something I look into that often; maybe there was a source I wasn't able to find. Regardless, the mechanism you described doesn't really explain how he was able to learn so many different fighting styles, while on the run from a highly dangerous organization and simultaneously fighting that organization.
Yes, technically the probable futures would exist, however because of the way he has to use his teleportation he wouldn't ever decide to use the power and then just try to focus on his future sight power because it ultimately would be more likely to cause him more problems rather than to help him out in the long run. His futures are shown as a variety of possibilities because they are centered around probability, and he can only see futures that are directly tied to him. So the sight is still incomplete in many other respects because of that.
Could you describe some of the problems this situation would create, please?
Lastly, just for curiosities sake, but why does it seem like only my character is being completely picked apart.
I'm criticizing your character because he feels overpowered to me. If you want to criticize my first character, or my second character when I finally get around to posting her, be my guest; I'm not the thread owner. Keep in mind, though, that this is the second time this RP has started; many of these characters were posted in a previous version of it, and were discussed at the time. That is part of why most of them have gone uncriticized in this thread.

I also want to make sure you didn't miss this, because you haven't addressed it:
Stitches wrote:Okay, so the powers follow rules that I haven't had a chance to post, pseudoscience that forms the foundry of the power sets. One of the vital rules is that powers are either physical disturbances or nonphysical manifestations.

Stitches
Token Witch

Post by Stitches » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:26 pm

To clarify, Snows and Annasiel are both allowed, on ny behalf, to critize and address any and all issues they feel neccessary as they are both aware of in depth rules for the world in this rp. They're both original players who I have discussed in great detail this rp with during its early construction as well. Unless I directly contradict them, assume they are speaking on my behalf, especially today, as I will be unavailable.

"I'm so disappointed in you." - Annasiel, 2017

You've been bitten by a true believer
You've been bitten by
someone who's hungrier than you
You've been bitten by
someone's false beliefs

Orophin
Location: At The Brink of Destruction and The Edge of Annihilation

Post by Orophin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:40 am

Most of his skills are things that either he was taught by his father, or things that he had went to classes in order to learn how to do. I honestly just didn't think about writing in that fact whenever I was doing the CS. I had planned that he had used this knowledge to continue to practice and improve once he was by himself and that his photographic muscle memory was just something that had helped him to perfect his skills, and to slowly add to what he already knew. And yes, I couldn't find any sources about the PMM for myself either. Honestly, I had only seen something about it once, and it was a long time ago so I don't remember it that well. I know that there is something like it that is used in comics, but the one I'm talking about had been something that was supposed to be real. So I can't help you with that one honestly, and I'm sorry about that.

The concept of time, as I had it pictured for him, is more like a tree than it is a line. Instead of him seeing a future that is set in stone he sees a grouping of probabilities. These probabilities are affected based on the choices of those around him and himself. Which means the more people he is near then the more potential futures there would be for him to sort through. This effects his current location primarily and therefore tends to be more difficult to determine whenever it comes to those around where he is teleporting, and this is especially true the further away a target destination is. This is because he needs a clear image of his destination to be in his mind or else he could mess up his teleportation and end up arriving inside of a wall, floor, furniture, or any number of other obstacles. Also, as I said, both abilities require focus to use. So he has to decide where he is going to go before he teleports and then he has to make the clear image to go there. If he was to try using his future sight first though it would only give him five minutes to work with which, aside from not necessarily helping him to see his target because his teleportation takes different amounts of times to transport him depending on how far his destination is, would require him to berry quickly decided which future is most likely to occur and then try securing the image of the locations future he picked and hope decision was right. Which would make him doubt his likelihood of arriving in the right place and would cause him to risk making a miscalculation in his transportation. This is even more complicated if he is teleporting with another person because then they have to be taking into account for the transportation as well. This is why he only teleports to places he know very well, or places that he can see with his own eyes. There was a lot in this section so I hope it makes sense.

I wasn't trying to say that I wanted to criticize someone else's character. I was just wondering why only I seemed to be getting, in a manner of speaking, interrogated about my character. I knew there was another rp before because of a few things that had been said by others before I asked to join, but I didn't think that I was the only person who hadn't been in it during that run-through.

I didn't miss that part when I had read it originally, but I did forget to address it after I read it, because I was responding to so many other things at the same time. So thank you for bringing that up again. I had meant to ask if that was saying that powers for a character were only allowed to be one or the other? As in you can't, for example, have something like empathy and shape-shifting on the same character.

Also, I was wondering if you could give some examples of what about him makes you feel that he would be overpowered. Because that may simply be caused by a miscommunication somewhere along the lines and if that is the case then I would like to try to straighten that out if at all possible.

Also, Stitches, I figured that was probably the case with Snows since they had been doing a lot of the talking and you hadn't said anything to them about it, and you had also been agreeing with everything that they are saying. That's why I never questioned them doing it. Thanks for the clarification on that fact anyways though.

Sorry that all my post are ending up so large. I'm just trying to make sure that everything has been explained and gone over so that hopefully their won't be any confusion about what I had in mind for my character.

Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone. - Sophie Scholl

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:47 am

I'm getting the sense that you have a lot more information about how your powers work than you've included in your bio. This is the first time you've mentioned that it takes different amounts of time to teleport to more distant locations, for instance. I think it would be worth editing it so that all the details about how your character's powers work are included; that way we can work from the same base of information.
Also, I was wondering if you could give some examples of what about him makes you feel that he would be overpowered.
The teleportation and futuresight, presented on their own, was absurdly powerful. I'm still a little concerned about it, but right now my concern's kind of shifting to the futuresight and short-range teleportation (within 100 feet) during combat, especially combined with his unusual resiliency and enhanced physical capabilities, on top of his regeneration. Telefragging is bad, especially when your opponent can't put you down even if they do hit you.
I didn't miss that part when I had read it originally, but I did forget to address it after I read it, because I was responding to so many other things at the same time. So thank you for bringing that up again. I had meant to ask if that was saying that powers for a character were only allowed to be one or the other? As in you can't, for example, have something like empathy and shape-shifting on the same character.
"Either or" is meant to mean "you can only have either one or the other," I think. As for those particular abilities, I think it would depend on how they manifest. If your form of superempathy involved being really super good at reading facial expressions and interpreting hormones, that would probably be fine, but if you're psychically able to read somebody's thoughts, that seems like it falls under nonphysical.

Orophin
Location: At The Brink of Destruction and The Edge of Annihilation

Post by Orophin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Yes, I do. Like I said before I had meant to edit my bio in order to add more explanations to my powers, however I had ended up forgetting to do so. Which is part of what lead to this problem in the first place. So that parts on me. I will claim that fact. However, after seeing everything that was brought up and talking more I think it might just be easier to change my characters abilities. I'd have to think about it for a little while before I could come up with something, but that might be the best choice.

Thanks for mentioning the healing factor. I wanted to explain that the speed of his healing isn't like wolverines. It's more like the flashes. So it still takes time to heal and it takes more time depending on how bad the damage is. So it's not just something that basically instantly heals. That was a big thing to forget to explain, sorry. Like I said there's been a lot of stuff to talk about.

That's what I thought Stitches had meant, but I wanted to make sure so if I was to come up with new abilities for my character I'd have a better idea of the rules and limitations when it concerns powers.

Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone. - Sophie Scholl

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:05 am

Well, I just got a job recently and completely forgot this existed since I've been so busy with everything lately. Could you explain what you mean by needing more about my character? I'm not sure what else to add or change in order for my character to be accepted.

Wait, I guess I was already accepted. Anyway, just ask whatever you need to know.
"I won't become your hero just to fight the life I saved"
- Child of Burning Time

Stitches
Token Witch

Post by Stitches » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:52 am

My apologies Vlad, I dont actually remember. I will have a post up this weekend for stuff

You've been bitten by
You've been bitten by
someone's false beliefs

Gecko
Silver

Post by Gecko » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Is this still open?
To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene iii, Line 87..."no."
Superhero Sandbox: Fusion
Art Thread: Don't Look Here!

Stitches
Token Witch

Post by Stitches » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:51 pm

Ah yes, it is!, Though as soon as I get my shit together, we'll be starting.

You've been bitten by
You've been bitten by
someone's false beliefs

Gecko
Silver

Post by Gecko » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Awesome, I'll make a CS then! :D Assuming that's okay, lol.
To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene iii, Line 87..."no."
Superhero Sandbox: Fusion
Art Thread: Don't Look Here!