Magical Training Montage(Invite only)

Roleplay locations.
Orange

Magical Training Montage(Invite only)

Post by Orange » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:45 am

This day had been a long time coming it was early in the morning around 7. Well honestly there was probably many of these days ahead it was only the first day where his first lessons in magic would begin. I had given it a lot of thought and had decided not to start on actual application or practice of magic today was about a little bit of the theory of magic itself. How and why it was divided into schools and what not giving an actual understanding of what kind of magic he was using. Possibly today we would get to understanding what school he was best at as well and finally if his mind hadn't already been overwhelmed it was time I speak to the voices that dwelled inside his head. But for now, it was time to wake Kyler.

I walked into the next room over and thought for a moment if now was the best time to start my prank war with Kyler but I relented for now and as I walked up to the door I knocked for a moment before saying," Kyler are you up?" If I got a groan or a yes I would say he was awake," Its time for some lessons. Get up soon so that we can start" I would walk away from his door and as I got a box of cereal out of the cabinet and two bowls ready for breakfast. I would pour my cereal and some milk into the bowl and would begin eating while waiting for Kyler.

Veil Walker

Re: Magical Training Montage(Invite only)

Post by Veil Walker » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:06 am

Kyler was awake, he just didn't feel like getting up yet. Kyler preferred to lay in bed for a while before actually getting up, so instead of an answering greeting, or even a groan, there was a simple thump as Kyler hopped to his feet out of bed. Kyler shuffled out, clad in shorts, a t-shirt and black socks. He looked around him, and spotted the cereal and the bowls.
"Come on, Boss. Not cereal AGAIN. That's what, the twelfth time in a row now?" Despite his grumbling, Kyler sat, pouring some cereal and milk into his bowl, along with an amount of sugar that would make any dentist in the country flinch. Kyler stirred his bowl judiciously, making sure all the sugar was mixed in well. Kyler made sure he ate the cereal first, taking in as little milk onto his spoon as he could. As soon as he finished the cereal, he tipped the bowl back and drank the sugared dairy. Finishing quickly, he wiped his mouth on the back of his arm.

"So what are we doing today, Boss? You finally going to let me hang out with some cool creatures?"

Orange

Post by Orange » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:02 pm

"I promise that once we get done today we can go get some groceries so that you don't have to keep eating cereal," I watched Kyler as he poured sugar into his bowl of cereal," but since your aiming for the teeth of an Englishman, I should make sure none of that food is solid." As I started chuckling for a moment." Unfortunately none of that today. Today is gonna be more of a lecture sort of day. I intend to teach you about the schools of Magic and determine if you hold a certain affinity for one of them." I paused for a moment before adding," Although if all goes well you may get a guest lecture or something like that soon." I mostly meant Ryoko because I thought that she wouldn't mind helping but Elektra was also someone that I was thinking about and if I could find a vampire who wasn't gonna try to kill us. "And with your permission, I'd like the chance to try and talk to the voices in your head today. But that depends on how tired or overwhelmed you will be after the lecture today."

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Fri May 01, 2020 1:10 am

"As long as we don't have to teleport there, Boss. We don't want another Kroger incident."
Kyler grinned at the dental comment, using a minor illusion to make all but a few of his teeth disappear.
"What, you don't think this is a good look for me?" Kyler pulled a face at the mention of lectures. He was magic. He much preferred getting out into the world and doing things. His face brightened at the mention of guest lecturers, however.

"Oooh! Guest lecturers. You should ask Ryoko! Or maybe Elektra!" Kyler bounced up and down in his seat for a minute. Since meeting them, Kyler had read up on his two new favorite heroes. A photo from their most recent team up in Portland was carefully taped up on his wall. With the incentive to study hard hanging in the air, Kyler ran back to his room. He quickly pulled on his hoodie, and grabbed his leather notebook and a mechanical pencil. Kyler almost missed the last sentence, but froze when the words reached his ears.
"I don't think that's such a good idea, Boss. I mean, I sealed them off, and since, I've been a lot happier and in control. I'm not sure I want them to come out. Ever."

Orange

Post by Orange » Sat May 02, 2020 3:09 am

"Yes, I think that is a great look for you. In fact, if you want to keep it I'd be more than willing to help," grinning like a mad man as I said it. But he noticeably perked up when I mentioned guest lecturers," that is exactly the two people that I thought of. Maybe someday if I start a school they'd like to be teachers." Honestly, that was meant as a joke but it had been something that I had thought about. Teaching a new generation of magic users sounded better to me each passing day honestly and at least the people like Kyler would have somewhere to go and understand. Instead these days they seemed to be more ostracized or even considered to be insane.

His mood though initially jovial changed when I mentioned taking a trip into his head," I know Kyler I have several concerns about them myself but that doesn't change the fact that they still exist. But we can worry about that some other time it is your choice whether we ever do something like that," this was a very serious matter and I would respect his privacy but I still didn't know for sure when they would come back. Theoretically speaking a seal only lasts so long and talking to them sooner was far better in my book than later," So how about we go on into the next room and start our lesson?"

I picked both bowls up from the table and put them in the sink to be washed later before joining him in the other room," So today's lesson I know isn't the most exciting. But in my opinion, it can be one of the most fundamental nonetheless schools of magic were used to simplify everything down and make it far more understandable. There are several different schools represented by different systems the one I use for instance was used to determine what kind of magic you were using and generally speaking, was the most popular. While the other was based around the elements along with some general concepts such as light and darkness," I always did hate it when they attached morality to certain colors or elements.

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Sat May 02, 2020 3:28 am

The young mage took in a ragged breath. It was kind of Bran to make that offer, and the idea of avoiding it felt like a good one. He was about to agree, but he stopped. A voice, ageless and female whispered in the back of his mind.
" You are not ready for what is to come.... You must master yourself...." Kyler shook his head, clearing the cobwebs.
"I- I'm ready to talk to them when you are." Kyler shuddered. It had taken a lot for him to say that, and he already regretted it, but he wouldn't go back on it. Kyler quickly followed Bran into the room. Kyler flinched at the mention of darkness, glancing at his left hand briefly. He knew Bran couldn't see the small shadows that danced briefly upon his skin, and he was glad. That felt like it was going to take some explaining.
"So what are the schools you use, Boss?" He gave a weak smile, focusing on the notebook held in his hands. His pen was ready for any notes Bran might have for him. It was boring, but it was a good distraction. Kyler sat on the floor with a whumpf, eyes forward as he watched Bran.

"Ready when you are, Boss! Fire away."

Orange

Post by Orange » Fri May 08, 2020 2:31 am

I had understood Kyler's choice to keep the voices locked away. I would have accepted it unless it became necessary that I had to speak with but for him to suddenly change his mind. That wasn't what I had expected it almost seemed strange really but then again my definition of strange was far different especially when I was teaching Kyler about magical theory. I was surprised by this sudden reversal," Okay we will talk about that after the lesson then." But I would try to keep a closer watch over Kyler during the rest of the lesson to see if there was anything that changed unexpectedly.
"Honestly the elemental schools are best used with mages who can gather power from the environment around them. I don't draw magic from the environment per se. My schools are Conjuration which is summoning magic, Abjuration is protection magic, Transmutation think to turn one thing into another, Illusion some would consider it the magic of deceit others would call it the magic of truth. Enchantment despite its name is not about putting magical effects on weapons or clothing but manipulating the minds of another person, Evocation is controversial, to say the least, but you could boil it down to combat magic. The final two are Divination the magic of seeing the future and potentially manipulating time and finally necromancy or as some would call it the black arts." With each mention of a different school, I would create a symbol representing each.

"These symbols can be used to perform some I'll admit rather simple magic most of the time but in the process of rune work, or be used in conjunction to create more complex spells or effects. So do you have any questions before I move on to the elemental school, Kyler?" At the very least he might have a little bit of information overload or maybe even some actual questions. I guess this is why I had never been asked to teach before...

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Fri May 08, 2020 5:08 am

Kyler said nothing during the discussion, scribbling down the symbols in his little notebook and carefully labeling them with the correct name. He did pipe up briefly after the mention of necromancy.
"You mean like... Poking zombies with sticks?" Kyler pantomimed part of the "Thriller" dance.
"Killer. Thriller! CHILLER!" Kyler laughed, before settling down for a minute. His thoughts were filled with images of raising a dead rat, and having it swim laps in Bran's bowl if he made him eat cereal for breakfast tomorrow.
"I don't really have any questions. The Old One taught me the names of those the other day. Called them the 'Mundane' magics. Said that was what humans used to define magic once they stopped understanding its true nature." Kyler, realizing what he'd said, blushed.

"Sorry, Boss. His words, not mine! See, it's a good thing he's locked up. Clearly he's a rude jerk!" Kyler had regretted agreeing to let Bran speak to them from the moment he had done it, and so was trying to find some reason not to have it happen.

Orange

Post by Orange » Wed May 13, 2020 6:32 am

While I felt that necromancy was a very serious topic I couldn't help but laugh at his reference. When I had first returned into the world I had tried to avoid this new age human culture because of its wholesale abandonment of magic that was until Esca got bored and in a way assimilated me into the modern culture and also Thriller which was genuinely great. Usually, I wouldn't say watching some rise from the grave was a great thing or made for music video but it was great. Too bad the singer was dead...

This time I didn't but only smirked," in a way he's right I guess entities or voices that old would have certain opinions on how magic has evolved. Actual magic is a combination of many different schools each transcends the boundary but the reason for it is that they felt like classification was necessary for research purposes and they noticed people were specializing or good at certain types. I am for example great at conjuration my old mentors even called it a natural talent and the school was almost banned at the time. Also, Kyler remembers it's appropriate to question otherwise you wouldn't understand or even be learning. Also since we're mages it's kinda what we do."

"Also like any old person the Old One sounds grumpy," giving Kyler a small wink. But at the moment I decided to turn my attention back to my lesson," So while we've covered the first set of schools I now want to mention the other way mages do it. The elemental schools try to draw the element from the environment so let's say its a sunny day outside your walking along the beach water crashing onto the shore and receding and the sand underneath your feet crunching and sticking to your feet the wind blowing against your face. The question is what do you draw from and which do you think is the most powerful? Which would you feel the most connection to Kyler?"

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Wed May 13, 2020 7:06 am

Kyler laughed.
"It seems like they're just making something up to try and explain things they don't understand, Boss. Doesn't that mean the magic schools are just mythology?" Kyler blinked for a minute. For some reason, Kyler found himself asking questions about things he hadn't understood before the incident. Kyler wondered about what exactly Bran had conjured back in the dead.
"I brought a stone squid here. Does that count as conjuration? Why is anything magical banned, Boss? Shouldn't you learn everything you can? Especially if it's dangerous? That way, you won't be caught by something you don't understand. I wanna know EVERYTHING. That way I can do some cool spells no one thought of. Like umm... Creating a new species of talking fish!" Kyler grinned at Bran, making swimming motions with his hands.
"Wait.... Does that make you grumpy? After all, you said you were like eight hundred years old..." Kyler pointed at Bran again.

"Ha! Old Grumpy Bran!" Kyler thought about the question. He felt the natural pull of the wind, due to his mother. He felt an even stronger pull towards the ocean, its deep power calling him. But it was the sand that drew him the most. It was seemingly weak, yet he felt drawn to it, almost uncontrollably. With imperceptible hand movements, Kyler brought a small amount of sand into the apartment, creating a ball of it in his hand.
"I choose sand! Grippleback taught me about the strength of the Earth. I've gotten pretty good at borrowing its power since then. So I choose the force I know, Boss."