Polished Marble [CLOSED]

Roleplay locations.
Looking Glass

Polished Marble [CLOSED]

Post by Looking Glass » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:44 pm

GILPATRICK INTERNATIONAL BANK

GIlpatrick International Bank isn't as old as it looks. Unlike some of the financial institutions of New York, it's only been around for about fifteen years. But careful attention was paid during construction, to making it look as venerable and refined as the rest. The architecture, modeled after other famous banks around the country. A massive clockwork-and-glass clock set into the wall of the head office, allowing the occupant to look down over their kingdom. And, of course, polished marble floors.

Every morning before the bank opens, the janitorial staff clean the floors thoroughly. Their instructions are simple- don't stop scrubbing until you can see your reflection in the marble. Which was precisely why Ashton Lennox chose to rob the bank mere hours after it opened.

Naturally, guards were stationed all around the ground floor of the bank. Aside from keeping an eye out for potential criminal activity, one of their jobs was simply to be unobtrusive. The high-end clientele of the Gilpatrick International don't want to be bothered by reminders that they aren't safe in their hermetically-sealed panic rooms. So it was, that nobody noticed as the guards began to disappear.

One by one, Looking Glass took them. He reached up through the floor, the polished surface providing a bridge between reality and the Reflection. Wrapped a hand around their ankle, and pulled them down with him. The transition was so fast, that not one of their startled screams was heard. They yelled for help, but once they were inside the world of mirrors, not a soul could hear.

The process of eliminating bank security didn't take very long. Normally, Ashton would have needed to wait until they passed by a window or looked at their phone, to grab them. But with nearly the entire surface of the bank providing a conduit for his dimensional travel, things went much faster than usual.

Next came the hard part. Lennox rose up from the ground, inside the locked teller's box at the center of the ground floor area. Pulling his nine-millimeter from a hip holster, he fired into the air three times. Unsilenced, the gun made a deafening noise, and would have made the Mirror-Maestro's ears ring, were he not wearing noise-cancelling headphones.

Almost immediately- among the hysterical screaming of the bank's patrons -one of the tellers hit the alarm under their desk. At once, metal shutters rolled down over every entrance and exit to the bank, covering the windows as well. All a part of Looking Glass's design. He'd researched the Gilpatrick International's security system. The police would be alerted by the alarm being triggered, but the automated security measures would keep them out for long enough.

Naturally, Ashton himself was unconcerned with escaping. Stepping into the Reflection and out of a mirror several blocks away was trivial for him. But first, he'd have to get his hands on what he'd come for. Cold, hard cash.

Keeping his hand on the pistol, Looking Glass strode over to the microphone that controlled the bank's PA system. At his approach, the woman who'd previously been handling it flinched. He winked, and gestured with the gun for her to move.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is a robbery. Nobody needs to get hurt- just do as I say."

Slowly, the panicked chatter began to die down.

"I need everybody to move to the sides of the room, and get on their knees. Hands behind your heads. Don't try anything stupid, or I'll cram you inside a mirror, just like I did to the guards."

There were gasps, as the civilians looked around, and slowly began to notice the indistinct figures of a half-dozen security guards looking up at them from the floor. Some were pounding on the marble from the other side, in a futile attempt to escape. Still, that served as an effective demonstration of what Looking Glass was capable of. Quickly, the bank's patrons complied.

Ashton turned to the tellers, a smug grin on his face.

"Now. One of you people has a keycard for the vault. You're gonna come unlock it for me, so I can get out of here. Understood?"

None of the tellers spoke up, but a number of eyes went to one woman. The placard on her desk read Donna Sullivan. Still smiling, Looking Glass strode over to her.

"Wh-why do you need me? Can't I just give you the--"

"Because, dear Donna, the vault requires a bank employee's retinal scan as well as a keycard to open. I did say not to try anything stupid, didn't I?"

Donna cringed in fear as Lennox approached. He grabbed her by the arm, and walked towards the door to the teller's box. They were all locked, but being made of glass, that was hardly an issue. Looking Glass stepped into the door, and came out the other side, taking the unfortunate teller on a brief trip through the Reflection in the process.

The bank's vault was one floor down, behind a massive metal door. No convenient reflective surfaces inside, which was why the entire robbery was necessary to begin with. None of the bank's customers tried anything, as Ashton marched his unwilling assistant towards the stairs. Police response time in New York was fast, but not fast enough to stop Lennox before he'd gotten the goods.

All that remained was for Donna to unlock the vault- a fairly complicated process sure to take a few minutes -and for Looking Glass to deposit the contents into the Reflection. There was no need to haul it away in burlap sacks labelled with a dollar sign- using his glasses, he could simply transport anything- or anyone -close enough to him, into the mirror dimension.

If any cop or cape tried to stop him, they'd find that out first-hand.

Total Experience

Re: Polished Marble [CLOSED]

Post by Total Experience » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:54 pm

"Oh - my - God."

Total Experience narrowed shining eyes at the update on his phone, which confirmed a hostage situation at Gilpatrick International Bank. But that wasn't the shocking part. There was a power user involved, identified by members of the public as Looking Glass. Experience had never encountered him before, but he'd heard of his operations. He wasn't subtle - and he didn't have to be. Whatever his mysterious power was, it enabled him to waltz through security untouched and emerge with whatever treasure he wanted.

Wherever he was in New York, Experience was only ever minutes away from a crisis. Silver metal legs carried him down the road as he vaulted over traffic, gracefully evading cars as he reached the blocked-off area around Gilpatrick.

Stopping at the police line, he quickly drew the attention of the officer-in-charge. He smiled at the policemen as their commander approached. Some looked away from him in disgust, whereas others seemed genuinely happy he was here. Superheroes had mixed popularity these days. Luckily, he knew how to be approachable - and how to be diplomatic with the law.

Queue Officer Deborah Brown, one of the first cops he'd ever worked with, and main advocate on the NYPD.

"You got here quick, T.E.," she whistled, turning back towards the front entrance to the bank.

"I do my best, Deb. Looking Glass?"

"Lennox is at it again. He's armed, but none of the hostages seem to have been hurt. Yet. Gilpatrick's shut us out," Deborah added, gritting her teeth in frustration.

"Am I all set to head inside?" the metallic giant inquired, stepping around a barricade and walking with Officer Brown towards the steps.

"Consider yourself deputized for this operation. All clear to breach the door. The main concern is that Lennox doesn't escape. The bank money is insured," she reminded him, "But it's only a matter of time before Lennox slips up and gets someone killed. He's a tricky bastard. We don't know what his ability is. Be careful in there, kiddo."

Experience nodded and gave her a thumbs-up.

Seconds later, the front bulkhead that had lowered down over the door had been tossed aside, iron crumbled like a balled-up roll of paper.

The silver sentinel opened the main glass door, passing into the bank's atrium. Looking Glass was nowhere to be seen, but the scores of people who had been trapped inside were now streaming out around him. He smiled to reassure them, nodding when they said "thanks" - but didn't waste time on publicity. Instead, he ventured deeper into the bank.

As he stepped over the polished marble floor, he suddenly tensed, eye catching some of the blurry reflections.

Holy -! The guards! he realized, metal brows arching in disbelief. They were pounding on the floor as though they were stuck inside of it...crouching over them, Experience put his hand over the marble, trying to calm them down. They all pointed in the same direction - towards the stairwell.

The vault.

Whatever happened to them could be reversed later, but only if Glass were caught. Experience pushed open the door to the stairs and dropped down the middle, not wasting any time in his descent. He landed like a grand piano from the top floor of a skyscraper, fingers embedded in the rocky floor below.

Not seconds later had he made it to the vault room -

- and witnessed none other than Looking Glass himself, supervising a hostage.

Growing to his full height, the burnished watchman pointed a single finger in the criminal's direction.

"Surrender, Looking Glass. I am here."
Last edited by Total Experience on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looking Glass

Post by Looking Glass » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:48 pm

Oh, lovely. A cape.

Ashton didn't need to hear the sound of rending metal to know that a super-hero had arrived. Using his spectacles, he could look through any reflective surface in the vicinity, like they were security cameras. He'd spotted the Chrome Champion from a dozen different angles- including his own shiny, reflective body.

Undaunted, the supercriminal continued towards the vault. Using his gun, he prodded Donna towards the retinal scanner, the first of the multi-part security system necessary to open the vault door. Her hands were shaking, as she began the process. Looking Glass was perfectly calm, a content smile on his face, as he leaned up against the wall adjacent to her, hand still on his weapon.

At the hero's words, Lennox frowned slightly, brow furrowed.

"Sorry, am I supposed to know who you are?"

Looking Glass afforded himself a soft chuckle. He wasn't merely feigning ignorance- New York had no shortage of super-heroes running around, and he didn't have the time to keep tabs on all of them. There were more than a few obsessive-compulsive types in the villain community, who felt the need to catalogue every possible opponent in a database or journal. Ashton wasn't one of them.

"You're clearly new to this. Let me explain."

Lennox smirked.

"There are two ways that this can go. First, you wait there, let me take what I came for, and I release all those poor security guards. Second, you try to stop me, and I stick you in there with them."

As Looking Glass was speaking, the teller finished scanning herself in. Nervously, she looked towards Total Experience, hoping for rescue. Lennox glanced in her direction, and gestured towards the keycard reader. Slowly, Donna began to move towards it, the plastic device in her hand. Ashton remained where he was, keeping his eyes on the hero.

Your move.

Total Experience

Post by Total Experience » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:45 am

"Ho, ho," he laughed, gleaming smile filling his polished face. It was a look of supreme assertion, a fortified compound of sincere righteousness that threatened to nullify Glass' debonair complacence. Moreover, when Donna looked at him, he returned her gaze with a small nod, urging her to move to the side. If Glass had no need for her anymore, then surely he'd let her go.

"It's a neat trick, I'll give you that. But if it's your only trick, then it's sure to work but once. And only, perhaps, if you had the element of surprise, which you do not. I have you at a disadvantage, Glass."

The man was leaning up against the wall. Those guards, up on the first floor, had been trapped within a surface...it seemed likely that his power was connected to that, somehow. And he'd revealed that it was he who had trapped them in the reflections.

What is the secret of Looking Glass' ability?

Experience reached into his pocket and took out a coin. A simple silver quarter. It was minuscule in his fingers, but he turned it over expertly, as though fidgeting with it.

He was in unfamiliar territory, that much was true. But Glass had indicated that he had the power to trap people in walls and floors. How did he do it? Was it possible from a distance, or did he have to touch him to accomplish the uncanny feat?

"You might as well put the gun away. It can't hurt me, so it's useless for self-defense. You're more at risk of wounding yourself if you keep a loaded weapon in your hand unnecessarily," he winked, tilting his head back as he scanned the situation - while also buying time, hopefully, for the hostage to leave.
Last edited by Total Experience on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looking Glass

Post by Looking Glass » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:52 am

At the hero's nod, Donna swiped her keycard, and the vault door began to move. It was a massive thing, and the complex machinery that allowed it to slowly shift out of the way was slow to work. The teller walked over to the wall, and remained still, glancing between her captor and would-be savior nervously.

Lennox, for his part, didn't move. Keeping his eyes on the cape, he used his glasses to watch the vault door opening, as if seeing from the Silver Savior's perspective. He didn't holster the pistol, either. Simply kept it pointed down, finger safely away from the trigger- but close enough that he could aim and fire as fast as necessary.

"I don't think so. See, maybe you figure that you can force me to free the guards, if you rough me up a bit. You don't seem like the type, but looks can be deceiving. So I'll keep Donna here around, and if you make a move, I'll put a bullet in her."

The unlucky teller flinched, and then went very still. Her eyes locked on Total Experience, silently pleading for rescue.

"Now, I'm not a killer. But I'm also not above shooting her in the leg. Then it comes down to giving her medical attention, or trying to stop me. And, unless I've misjudged you, saving a civilian comes before catching a crook."

As Ashton monologued, the vault door slowly continued to open. The sound of metal-on-metal ground to a halt, and Looking Glass glanced at his watch. A faint blue glow emanated from the timepiece, as from the lenses of his glasses. Looking back up at the hero, he winked, and turned towards the vault. By now, the door was open entirely, revealing the interior of the Gilpatrick International's sanctum.

Shelves full of gold bars and suitcases full of cash filled the vault. Lennox started towards it, keeping one eye on the cape through his glasses. If he percieved Total Experience to be making a move, he would turn, and fire a round off at the teller, the practiced motion denoting an experienced marksman. With any luck, the metal man would make the smart choice, and stay where he was.

Total Experience

Post by Total Experience » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:18 am

Though he'd thought about stepping forward, Experience's feet locked where they were, heeding Glass' warning. The vault door was opening now, the dull matte surfaces on the inside lacking any reflections whatsoever. Total Experience let his eyes pass all over the inside, flicking between Glass and his victim.

Using an innocent as a shield. Good grief.

Experience's expression became more pensive, as though contemplating the robber's conditions. Is it true? his look seemed to say. Am I the one at a disadvantage?

Every foe had a weakness. There was something he could use, a hint locked away in the room...was it Glass' posture? His weapons? There had to be a secret to his abilities. Experience's robotic eyes were a dozen times more perceptive than an ordinary man's, and still he was having a difficult time concocting a strategy.

That glow...

At first, he'd just assumed the bluish light on Looking Glass' spectacles was being reflected. But there was no source of blue light in the room that he could pick up on...unless those tools themselves were the source.

He's watching me, even though his back is turned!

The coin passed over his knuckles, across his fingertips. He was far from clumsy, even with steel hands. Most people expected him to lack dexterity. But that wasn't the case. Every muscle movement was as precise as a well-oiled machine.

"I guess you've got me," he conceded, letting the coin roll back into his palm, where it remained. His hand was at his side. He still hadn't moved any closer. He knew that if he did, the life of that teller could well be forfeit. Even though Glass had threatened to shoot her leg, there was always a chance that he'd miss, and hit someplace more vital. The risk was simply too great.

The metal hero took a deep breath, looking down at the polished floor at Glass' feat.

"You're right about one thing."

His body was perfectly still.

"Saving a civilian does come before catching a crook!"

Without looking up - using the reflection on the floor to guide his aim - Experience's hand opened.

Or it seemed to open.

Instead, the quarter he'd been holding exploded from between his thumb and forefinger, a spark of lightning shooting it out with the power of a railgun!

It was a trick he'd practiced for days on end, propelling tiny pieces of metal with the power and accuracy of a bullet! The magnetic charge summoned from within his fortified form launched the 25 cent projectile at uncanny velocities at Looking Glass' hand - the same hand holding the firearm!

It was the first of his special techniques to be revealed in this situation: THE TOTAL RAILGUN!

The damage could be catastrophic, though contained only to a very small point. Ideally, enough to disarm Looking Glass - and perhaps even incapacitate him from the sheer pain!
Last edited by Total Experience on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looking Glass

Post by Looking Glass » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:04 am

"GAH! Motherfucker!"

The gun fell from Ashton's hand, and skidded across the floor. Face tight with pain, Looking Glass sunk to his knees, left hand clutching the injured right. With a subtle motion, he tapped the surface of his watch, and sunk into the reflective floor, emerging in the Reflection.

The Reflection was a world of smoke and mirrors, with indistinct impressions of the real world reflected all around. Lennox paid no attention to them, his hand throbbing. Definitely broken. Looking up, he saw a single quarter resting on the floor, and set his jaw. The cape was clever, that was for sure. Hard to call the attack a violation of the unwritten rules, given that he'd threatened threatened to shoot a woman not moments before. But it was still irksome.

It was easy to see the guards trapped inside the floor, but Looking Glass was experienced at moving through this dimension. No matter how hard he looked, Total Experience would be unable to find him. That gave Ashton plenty of freedom to move, as he surveyed his options. Aside from the floor itself, there were far too few reflective surfaces on this level of the bank.

Fuck it. No reason the same trick can't work twice.

Positioning himself under the cape, Looking Glass reached up, through the floor, attempting to grab onto Total Experience's ankle with his uninjured hand. In doing so, he would be able to pull the man down into the floor, and send him crashing into the Reflection. It wasn't an act that required physical prowess- by merely touching the man, he would effectively turn the floor to water, and Experience would fall through it like the rug had just been pulled out from under him.

Assuming his tactic worked, Lennox would touch his watch again, and pass out of the Reflection, up through the floor- but not before delivering a rejoinder of his own.

"Welcome to my world."

Ashton's hand fucking hurt. He wore a flak jacket under his suit for a reason, but they didn't exactly make kevlar gloves. His right arm hanging down, the hand limp and useless, he moved to collect the gun from where it'd fallen. Not being left-handed, he couldn't shoot very well now- but that didn't much matter at point-blank range.

Lennox approached the teller, his coolly collected expression gone. Now he just looked angry. She cowered, already having pressed herself up against the wall.

"Move."

Looking Glass gestured towards the vault with his head, and Donna obeyed. He followed a step behind her, the barrel of the weapon pressed against her back.

Once he was close enough, the supercriminal raised his hand to his spectacles, and pressed a small button. The lenses flashed blue, and about half of the vault's contents vanished. Experience would see them appear, in the same positions as they had been, inside the Reflection. Then, the rest would follow. Simple as that.

Now to get rid of him.

Touching the watch again, Looking Glass sank back into the floor, appearing amidst the loot, several yards away from where he'd attempted to drop the hero. However, he'd brought the teller with him. The gun pointed at Donna, Ashton advanced towards Total Experience, his hostage a few feet ahead.

"Walk towards me slowly, shiny. Hands in the air. If you so much as twitch wrong, I will shoot her."

Nothing about Lennox's demeanor suggested he was bluffing. Whether he intended to actually murder the woman was unclear- but a gutshot would be survivable, so long as she was treated quickly. And the NYPD was gathering outside- they would be able to administer first aid, if necessary.

"When you're close enough, I'll send both of you back up. Got it?"

Assuming Total Experience did as he was told, Looking Glass would keep his word. Staying just close enough to put both of them in the range of his glasses, he would reach up with his broken hand, and- very gingerly -press down on the button that would eject the pair from the Reflection. If the hero deviated from his instructions, the world of mirrors would echo with the sound of gunfire.

Total Experience

Post by Total Experience » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:46 am

Experience didn't wince when the impromptu bullet collided with Glass' hand, but he could well imagine the pain he'd just delivered to the gentleman robber. Now wasn't the time to quip "language" at him - not when the hostage still had to be attended to. The gun was out of his hands - that was good, one less way for him to hurt anyone - but in an instant, he was gone.

Blast!

Experience didn't see him touch the watch, but he could tell clear as day that the man had simply sunk into the floor, utterly invisible. Was that Looking Glass' secret?

"He's in the floor," he murmured to himself, taking on a ready stance. His ability - it was for him to pass through reflections, then, and to drag people in with him! And those guards, they'd been trapped under the floor as well...that was his power. It was how he'd aimed to beat him. All he had to do was watch the floor...

Wait!

To the untrained eye, Looking Glass' movements would be utterly imperceptible. He bubbled up from the reflection, mist-like, before a hand reached out and snagged Experience's ankle - just as the maestro of mirrors had planned!

"You!" he muttered through grit teeth, involuntarily finding himself falling - or at least, it was a sensation like falling. Light shifted and bent for a fraction of a second, and then he found himself in the exact same position -

- though, for a second, as it were, upside down.

"Welcome to my world."

And with that, he was gone!

Experience crouched at the floor, trying to see what was happening on the other side. Everything in here looked slightly wrong, as if distorted...

"I can't believe it...I'm actually trapped inside a reflection!"

Powerless, he was forced to watch as Looking Glass retrieved his weapon - and his hostage, no doubt paralyzed by fear. He repeated the process on the contents of the vault, which materialized within this bizarre alternate reality. This time, because Experience was watching, he saw him use his glasses and watch to accomplish it. The source was in his technology.

So he can travel through reflections...that's how he always gets away!

There was no time to be afraid. In situations like these, the one with the cooler head always prevailed. If victory were so simple for Looking Glass, there'd have been no need to take a hostage...this place where he'd trapped Experience was also his escape route.

And sure enough, he'd descended back through, with the teller too. Once again, her life was in danger. No more playing around this time - Glass was angry, in pain, and just about ready to lose it. If he had to guess, Experience would wager this was the first time anyone had hurt him since he'd begun his criminal career. It was a smudge on the shining mirror.

Within the mirror dimension, sound appeared distorted. It seemed clear enough that Glass was in control down here...were the other laws of physics still the same? There was air to breathe - that much was obvious - and one could still see, albeit with some difficulty.

With no choice but to comply with the demands, he raised his hands over his head.

I can only touch him when we're in the same dimension...

It seemed like there was no way to win. That hostage...that gun...it was the key.

"Got it."

Experience's answer, at first, seemed to be a reply to the man's orders. But that wasn't actually what he meant.

What he meant was -

I got it!

And what it was, was anything magnetic in the immediate area!

Experience's metal body had more supernatural properties to it than one might initially perceive. For in addition to being super-tough, it had a plethora of bizarre interactions with magnetic fields - interactions he could tap into if the situation called for it!

VMMMMMMMM.

When Looking Glass asked him to stretch his hands over his head, he did so - focusing all his muscular power into straining his body to become as magnetic as possible! The result: anything metal in an immediate range - like Glass' gun - would be at risk of flying into his orbit, and then adhering to his body! Whether or not his tools would be dragged along too was anyone's guess...but this was something he'd practiced a dozen times! Even a fired bullet could be snagged out of the air!

Looking Glass

Post by Looking Glass » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:16 am

The moment Looking Glass felt his sidearm begin to slip out of his grasp, he squeezed the trigger. If he were firing with his right hand, he might have gotten the shot off sooner. As it was, the gun's barrel was jerked away just before he fired. Instead of penetrating the bank teller's stomach completely, it merely grazed the side of her chest.

There was a spray of blood, and the woman screamed, but it would be immediately obvious to Total Experience that the wound was shallow. Donna would be in enough pain to enter a state of shock, but at no risk of death, or even permanent injury. Lennox was barely paying attention to the woman- his ears were ringing, as he hadn't had a chance to put on his noise-cancelling headphones. Sound traveled strangely in the Reflection, and the almost deafening noise of a gunshot reverberated for far longer than it did normally.

Seeing his gun shoot towards the hero, Ashton's eyes narrowed. As he did so, he noticed- his glasses were missing. They'd been pulled straight off of his head by the bizarre magnetic field that Total Experience was projecting. His watch remained, as it was tightly affixed to his wrist- but losing the spectacles was still a blow, no matter the fact that he had spares.

Once again, Lennox reached for his watch, trusting that his opponent would be too tied up in the fact that his hostage had been shot to notice. This time, he didn't spend long topside. Looking Glass simply jogged a few feet forward, and dropped back down into the Reflection- behind the Chromatic Champion.

With any luck, the Steel Savior would be too preoccupied with tending to the teller to attack. Being so close to someone clearly endowed with superhuman strength made Lennox more than a little nervous. He'd been hurt before, in the course of his career as a super-criminal, but the pain in his hand was still fresh.

Still, a haul this big was easily worth a broken hand. Especially considering the kind of treatment it could purchase. Painkillers were just the beginning. First, though, Looking Glass would have to get rid of the troublesome hero.

Don't get ahead of yourself, Ash. This one's full of surprises.

Lennox pressed his right hand to Experience's back, wincing as the pain flared up. Quickly, he slapped the watch with his left hand, transporting the pair to the real world- and just as quickly, he would jerk his hand away. With any luck, his reflexes would be fast enough to avoid the hero magnetizing the watch to himself.

Touching the watch again, Looking Glass would return below- only to rapidly repeat the same process with Donna. It was inconvenient, but he didn't have the equipment or expertise necessary to treat her, and having a wounded woman in his domain was more trouble than it was worth.

Total Experience

Post by Total Experience » Tue May 05, 2020 10:37 pm

BANG.

The gun and glasses clanked against his open hands...and then a bloody bullet did, too. The teller was down, but not at risk of death. His little gamble had pulled off. What had to hurt just as much as the narrowly-grazed bullet was the reverberating sound of the gunshot. With his altered ears, Experience had nothing to fear from loud noises. His senses were more precise than those of ordinary people, but also had the requisite high pain tolerance to make use of them. He could tell the sound of the pistol had been much greater than it'd have been otherwise...but why? What was it about the way air moved in this dimension that changed sound so?

There was no time to interrogate the unnatural physics of the Mirrored World. Already recovered from the thunderclap of his gun, Glass had vanished into the world overhead...and reappeared behind the Silver Sentinel!

Whirling around to face him, Experience found himself sliding through the floor once again. A sense of vertigo overcame him, as he was unaccustomed to the rapid changes to up and down. All he could tell was that moments later he was back in the normal world, and the teller was, too.

When his eyes shot back down to the reflective floor, Glass was still in there...getting away with a good bit of cash.

This is the first person I've battled who's faster than my augmented muscles, he realized, narrowing his eyes at the escaping burglar, powerless to pursue him into the reflective tunnel he'd dug out of the bank.

That just left him with the injured teller, a weapon, and the pair of glasses.

LATER...

Experience had stayed with Donna all the way until she was loaded into the ambulance, doing his best to make sure she felt safe. She'd been barely touched by the gunshot - enough to cause her a scare, but nothing life-threatening. With modern medical technology, it might not even have left a scar. T.E. thought she was being remarkably calm about it all...but compared to a lot of things people went through these days, he supposed they were more resilient than one would expect. It could've been an alien invasion, but instead it was just a little itty bitty gun wound.

Stepping back into the bank, Experience stood over the guards trapped in the floor, all of whom had gathered into one place together.

Hope this works...

Experimentally, he touched the tip of his metal finger to the glasses frame, holding the lenses right over the men. With a flash of light, they returned to the real world, dispersing towards the doctors outside.

"Good job. There's a thank you dinner in this for you, I'd bet."

Deborah was being too kind to him.

He sighed, dismayed.

"He got away, Deb, but I can get him next time. His same trick won't work on me twice. Here," he said, handing over the glasses.

She looked at them skeptically.

"You better hold onto those, T.E."

His iron brow knit.

"They're evidence, though. You might need these to find him, and you'll definitely need them to convict..."

Now it was her turn to sigh.

"Not everyone in the department's an angel. If I take those from you, they'll go missing within a week, and we'll have two Looking Glasses out there. I think someone on the force is fencing meta tech. Just keep this between you and me, a'ight?"

Jaw set, he nodded. Carefully, he folded up the glasses and put them in a concealed breast pocket on his uniform.

"They'll be safe with me, Officer."

"Attaboy. Stay safe out there, kiddo."

"You too."

With a casual salute and a wide smile, he set off, a single jump carrying him up and over the bank.

I'll have to be careful with these. They're evidence, and they might be dangerous to turn on...if they ran out of charge while I explored that Mirror World, I could be trapped in there forever.