Healer's Home [Open]

Roleplay locations.
Ryth

Re: Healer's Home [Open]

Post by Ryth » Tue May 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Ryth washed her hands at the sink, with hand wash, and managed to slide out the door before the man could close it. Not that she knew this guy or something but at least, it ought to have be better than the tension indoors, she figured. And while he took out a cigarette, she opted to sit back in a chair and enjoy the...cool breeze and darkness outside. Ryth couldn't really figure out why anyone would want to live here. To each their own, though.

"At first I admired your bravery...but then I laughed at your foolishness, not literally, but to think that you weren't driven by some superficial credibility or might, it was quite intriguing to watch, had it not been for the fact that you came out the worst of all of them. So here's a question to you, blonde hero. What compels you to move forward if not ability?" She was an investigator, and asking the right questions felt only too natural. If the man wasn't going to tell, then she would not bother anymore.

"Dangerous neighborhood our healer decides to live in. But I suppose she has a knight in shining armor." Ryth didn't quite catch the name, if it was ever disclosed, but she wasn't that interested in knowing it. What mattered was that the man could keep her safe, and she didn't doubt that he might possess some ability.

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Thu May 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Hisa understood thinking things rather messed up it didn't rattle her all that much though. People fought and were temperamental by design, and fear causing giant wolves wasn't the craziest thing out there. Her boss was a siren dressed as a ninja, her nemesis a child. Her dad cast ice that burned and uncle fire that froze. She could accept this world and all its crazy. The challenge was being civil around these people, maybe they could of mean something in another life. Right now though all she saw was people on the side of Lethe, the young woman who the Wyvern wanted to boil the blood of.

She keeps that all inside though her mask slightly turning up in a smile towards the departing duo. Out to smoke and socialize. Did mean less people in the room but now wasn't the time. "No need to apologize we weren't exactly at our best around that thing." She played it off as fine, really though it was all just another reason the Lotus found someone needed to die. She was an a assassin, precision mattered.

"I've hydro and pyrokinesis. Wasn't able to use it much though around that thing. Thankfully though my family trained me in martial arts sense I was a child so had that to fall back on. They always used it more for self discovery though then anything heroic." The wyvern rather liked that way of phrasing things as well. For her uncle and father saw Lotus activity as tapping into their inner self. How she put it though didn't say she was a professional killer however just someone putting abilities and training to greater use.

Henry

Post by Henry » Thu May 21, 2020 1:42 pm

The night breeze was cool and damp, more chilly than a summer night should. Shame that he only had a shirt on. Today was multiple-layer weather, he always assumed that was the effect of the perpetual darkness cast over Duskburg.

Firmly bashing the bottom of his cigarette pack against the surface of his palm, Henry kicked up a cigarette and placed it into his mouth. "No way I'm calling anybody a fucken' wyvern.", he mumbled and then looked to the woman who came with him. She was talking the whole time and he wasn't paying attention. He did the half-turn to half-look move people do when they get startled.

"Oi, sorry, sheila. I though that was Hamlet or some such.", he finally lit the cigarette.

"But, uh, I haven't really thought about that.", and Henry didn't. He didn't philosophize because real men weren't like that. Especially those that raised him. It was always do or die with his folks. Existing in the now. He found it funny how people viewed the future as something to negotiate with. I'll do it tomorrow. I'll have kids when I'm 30.

A puff of smoke served as a metaphorical dot at the end of his laconic explanation. Henry turned and watched the cigarette butt flicker in the wind.

Somehow the tar didn't feel as good as it used to. His lips smacked with distaste.

The cigarette burned in the wind.

"Knights, healers, vampires, wyverns and colossal fucken' wolves.", Henry reflexively ashed the cancer stick vy flicking the butt with his thumb. "Strange times. Strange times."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu May 21, 2020 2:26 pm

Patient Zero had managed to escape the discomfort of the room, and the other woman who’d tagged along had gone out to join him, both displaying relatively good sense in doing so. Sir Grumpy was taking Aliria upstairs, where she would hopefully rest for longer than fifteen minutes, which left her with Sacha and the Junior Ninja Scout.

Sacha was trying to defuse the situation with the Power of Friendship, which was the second stupidest thing imaginable, right after the fact that it sometimes worked. Sacha apparently thought it was necessary to apologize for dropping the wolf that otherwise might have killed them all, but that was Sacha in a nutshell. A bit of a perfectionist, at times.

Junior Ninja Scout seemed fine with it, though. Hisa, her name was Hisa. Kate wasn’t going to call her ‘Wyvern’ because that was stupid - much like what the kid was currently saying. “Hydro and pyrokinesis is a skill set, not an identity,” she corrected, opening her eyes to look a the girl, since it was fairly evident that this was apparently the most important aspect of the kid's life, according to her and whatever idiots had raised her. “You’re not just a collection of abilities. People get to be more than that. Metahumans, too.” Did the kid really have no concept of self beyond her abilities and martial arts training as a fallback?

And people wondered why superheroes were all kinds of fucked up - it was thinking like this that led to it. Their whole identity got wrapped up in what they could do, and they didn’t give themselves any space to do or be anything else.

“I’m Kate, by the way. Just-” A wry grin, at something that had once been, or hadn’t actually been what she’d thought it was. The word shifted, mid-sentence - not flawlessly, but without too much of a hitch: “-Just Kate. I’m a CNA, trying to work on my LPN coursework when I can.”

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Wed May 27, 2020 12:54 pm

"Just a passer-by huh? Kinda like the mysterious australian man out there." The fact that the girl was following them seemed strange. But then it also brought up the question of why did she really help them at all? For someone who stared at her with such killer intent, seemed like it would have been more efficient to attack her before -- during the fight.

You're weird.

While the girl spoke, Lethe ate and listened. The pasta especially tasted good when like it was earned. And yet as good as it tasted, her eyes never strayed too far from the girl sitting before her. Always keeping her within the corner of her eye.

Kate spoke up, disapprovingly of how the girl identified herself. In all reality, it was the information she wanted to know. And the girl didn't seem to be lying to her.

"Wow? Since you were a child. That's a long time. I kinda know...something like that. I was taught by my brother mostly. I always lived...well. Basically wherever the fight was. My dad was a killer too so they thought I was too." It was always almost a shame when she looked back, how easily death came to her. There were people who would train for decades and would only have an accuracy near hers. And only half as applicable to dolling out death or dissecting people with rounds.

Sacha shakes her head.

"Not anymore though, if I can help it. Doesn't always work out like that, but I try." She holds up her hand to her chest. "I'm Lethe. He-" A brief glance at Kate. And then back at Hisa. "...Costumed Vigilante crimefighter. At your service." An all too innocent shrug.

"Thanks for your help really. It was pretty brave of you to get caught up in that."

What drives you?

The girl gets up with her meal finished discarding the plastic container into the sink. She ran a little bit of water on it. A part of her felt guilty for not really washing it out. But the girl wasn't sure if she wanted to spend the night. Not with...strangers around.

That didn't really stop her from walking up near the girl and then pulling up one of those chairs and sitting with it reverse. Her legs on either side as she looks at the girl. Lethe having a hard time masking her emotions with anything false. And so, she allowed her curiosity to out-play caution. A desire to know why the girl got involved.

"What made you wanna help? This isn't some uh...indoctrination or anything but you seem kinda like our mysterious friend over there. Why risk your life for us and some girl you don't know?"

It sounded crazy indeed when Lethe said it like that. At least she thought so. Though showing people that there is always someone willing to combat whatever random threat that approaches felt like it made the world a better place. Particularly when they got away with mostly only cuts and scrapes.

It could have been much worse.

It still can be, sis.

But here she could get a very good look at her. Almost as though the Once Reaper sought to peer into Hisa's very soul.
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!

Henry

Post by Henry » Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 pm

Henry looked at the burning cigarette one last time, holding it pinched between two fingers up under perpetual moonlight. What good did it ever bring him? It just drained the taste out of everything. "Yeahnah, fuck this shit."

The cigar flew up into the air with a flick of the index finger, drawing an squiggly arc of smoke before as the porch door shut behind. Henry stepped back inside this strange enclave. To his chagrin, the rest of the gang was also dissecting motivation and drive. What were the chances? Not so great, actually. Maybe this was a thing of theirs or something.

Something about childhood trauma and shit. Victim olympics weren't really his thing. He could barely smell the cooking due to the lingering cigarette smoke. It was awful. Whatever the old lady did really messed up Henry's wiring. Even more than he realized at that moment.

"A nurse, ey?"

"That explains it.", he said, standing in the frame that lead into the room. Now that his body wasn't creaking as much, young Robinson had an alarmingly light step. Of course, he didn't elborate further. He said it only to insert himself into the conversation. It could be somewhat obvious that he caught only the tail end of the conversation and wanted to look like he was in the picture.

"So, uh, you guys know eachother?"

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Fri May 29, 2020 6:37 pm

Hisa had to question though if she was more than powers and vengeance. Closest thing to a relationship had been shifted into the latest in a Lotus plot. Her uncle and father were dead the two most integral people to her life. The gold and azure dragons had wanted the Wyvern to have a life mostly outside of the Lotus operations. To exist more as her own person, with death though came a demand for making one pay in return. They said they're was more to who she was but really she didn't know who she was anymore excluding a weapon to bring about retribution.

"I was buying books across from the mall when I saw things getting dicey. What was I supposed to do read rom...action filled novels while people were devoured?" The vengeful flower commented seeking to provide the information saught out in a way that remained a solid cover. Something that benefitted largely by truths and just skirting around the details perhaps that might be more of a cause for alarm.

Taking a moment the assassin checked her leg, making sure she could walk on it. "You seem good at it, being a nurse isn't easy. Anyway been nice meeting you all. Specifically you two." Hisa remarked looking towards Kate and Lethe. Her mask over mouth shifting up slightly in a smile. "I should get going though, I've a shift in a few hours. And a bum leg isn't enough for me to feel up to calling out." Although Hisa thought she might have enough time between then to maybe see where the pair went off to once done. Much as Hisa could see herself in the past finding these people as friends her present mindset was just on having their blood find its way onto that chained kunai of hers. Despite the limp she certainly seemed to swallow the pain as if it was a lot more second nature then her status of first time vigilante might imply. Wasn't anything to find on her being active after all if anyone were to look until today.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri May 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Things seemed to be settling down, tempers cooling as everyone got a chance to recover and get some food in them - Kate included. There were probably “heroes” out there who could go on about how she was supposed to be “better than that” and “responsibility to set an example” and so on, but screw it, she was a person and she was allowed to have feelings - including irrational ones. She’d just had an encounter with an eighteen foot tall wolf, ‘irrational’ might as well be the word of the day.

Still, it was easier without everyone there at each others throats as well, something they all seemed to realize and take a turn towards calm. Sacha, as usual, had the so-innocent questioning game going on. Kate swore the kid got more information out of people with her wide eyes and impressed demeanor than seasoned interrogators. Henry reappeared, apparently having had his fill of smoking-is-bad-for-you-mkay? He was looking better, which was Aliria’s doing and not his own.

The wannabe ninja girl had that same “but of course I have to help” attitude that all the other idiot heroes did. Kate worried about that sort of thing, the urge to put everyone else’s life first. Kate wasn’t like that. Sacha, Sacha came first. Everyone else? Everyone else could take care of their own idiot selves. She was perfectly willing to save people, but in the “competent triage” sense and not in the “taking a bullet for them” sense. She’d seen too much of the aftermath of the second one, after all.

Henry had a few questions that Kate knew Sacha wasn’t going to want to answer, because Sacha didn’t like lying to people. A lie wasn’t really needed here, though, but if one was, she wasn’t afraid to use it. “I know a fair number of people in Duskburg. It’s a shithole, but not everyone in it’s a piece of crap.” Not a very heroic metaphor, but she wasn’t very heroic. “Lethe and I met in a hospital a few months back.” Also true, but if it was implied that Kate had been there doing nurse-things and not “kicking some ninja’s ass because he was trying to kill everyone” things, that was probably for the best.

She didn’t like talking about that sort of stuff, anyway. She’d have rather been doing nurse things. Speaking of which, the Schoolgirl Shinobi was getting up and getting ready to leave, pretending her leg didn’t hurt. She was pretty good at the pretending, which didn’t speak well for her early life - but that was Duskburg, wasn’t it? At least she knew about this place, now, and that help could be there if needed.

“Hold on just a minute,” Kate told her, getting up and retrieving a bottle of ibuprofen and tapping out four, handing them over with a glass of water. “Take those now, they’ll help keep the swelling down. Two more - four hundred milligrams - every four hours for the next twenty-four. After that, as needed for pain. Don’t take aspirin, it’s a blood thinner and you need to clot. That, and you’re too young, I don’t wanna see you with Reye’s syndrome.”

Half of that might be nonsense to the kid, but that was what the internet was for. Kate put another dozen ibuprofen tablets in a ziplock baggie and handed it over, with a stern look, “Stay off it as much as possible the next week, and no heavy lifting. Got it?” She was 98% sure that her advice would be ignored, but felt obligated to give it anyway.

That was about what it was like, not being a hero.

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:46 am

"Mhm!" Sacha said, agreeing with Kate -- in reply to the mysterious stranger and arguably the most enigmatic person here. And yet her focused appeared to lie elsewhere. Something that was nagging her. Scratching another part of her brain.

"A lot of people would run. But I guess you're just really disciplined. Or maybe crazy. Like me a little bit." An all too innocent smile. A bit of a genuine amusement as she looked upon the girl before her.

A tilt of her head.

Leaving so soon?

The glance was curious. Her smile fading in favor of something more, neutral. Almost disappointment.

"Nice to meet you too, Hisa." The chair scooted back a little bit. And to Hisa she extends a hand devoid of gloves. The nails trimmed to be short. The girl's palms having a little bit in the realm of calluses. They were otherwise soft, tiny, nimble and dexterous. And oddly gentle in a way when she wanted them to be. As though with her fingers she could snatch a fly out of the air without killing it. "I'll be seeing you around. Maybe. Hope you have a good rest of your day."

In many cases this would be the part where Lethe would have asked the girl if she'd any interest in joining the super team. One which could always seemingly use new members to contend against any number of Duskburg's gangs. Maybe even a hug would be the least she could offer for someone who she'd fought side by side with in a way.

And yet there she was with only a hand out for the girl to shake and a smile that was a little wider than before.

"And thanks for your help."
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!