Healer's Home [Open]

Roleplay locations.
Veil Walker

Re: Healer's Home [Open]

Post by Veil Walker » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:08 am

`
Aliria watched the child curl up upon herself, and took a careful half step back. Now was definitely not the time to crowd her. She watched the indecision and the fear cross Bea's face, and it tore at her heart. She didn't know who had done this, or why, but she knew she needed to do what she could to undo it. Even still, she was nervous. She resolved not to touch the girl's mind. She wasn't sure she was strong enough to bear it. To see the damage done to this poor child might break her. She knelt down, so Bea could see her smile better.
"No, it won't hurt. I promise. All you'll feel is a nice warmth." Her voice was steady and soothing, her eyes kind as she made sure the girl could see the truth in her eyes.

"Only warmth, and then you'll feel better. And then we can have streudel. Won't that be nice?"

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:58 am

The hell is this place? It's like Strawberry Shortcake said "Fock you" to all of Duskburg.
It does seem . . . misplaced. Are you sure this is the place?

Absolutely! I even double checked the address!

Strolling along the sidewalk and draped in a hoodie, jeans, and sneakers overtop of his usual apparel, the mercenary stopped in front of the small house that stood before him before approaching the door. A quick turn of the handle, and he was in. That was simply pathetic. One should always keep the doors locked in Duskburg, but, at least it made his job easier. Of course, if he wanted to make it real easy, he could have taken the backdoor if this place had one, but the scarlet boogeyman liked to make an entrance.

"'Sup! I'm your normal neighborhood nutjob! Wait, that doesn't sound right. Crap. I should have planned out a better entrance. One sec."

The manic mercenary walked out the front door and closed it before waiting a few moments. Then, the creak of the door could be heard again.

"''Sup. I'm your unfriendly neighborhood mercenary! The name's-. Ah. Fuck. Now it sounds disingenuous, doesn't it? Shitcrackers on fucksauce. I'm going to have to work on that."

The mercenary then began to reach for his belt, and his hand slightly hovered over his guns before reaching into a pouch and pulling out a box of cigarettes and a lighter before helping himself to a cigarette.

"You guys mind if I smoke? You guys want a smoke?"

A small flame darted forth from the lighter as the assassin lit his nicotine mistress before blowing a puff of smoke.

"Now, please, don't make any sudden movements. I was sent here to-. Is that Captain Crunch cereal?"

His eyes shifted from the two targets before him to a new target. The cereal box. Walking past the pair, he reached for the box and would begin helping himself to it unless otherwise stopped.

"*Aghm!* *Crunch!* *Mmf!* Dese are reel gewd!"

Pausing between bites to say that little phrase, the mercenary then plopped himself down on the floor and leaned against whatever happened to be behind him.

"Since I just have to finish this entire box of this sugary goodness, why don't you two tell me about yourselves? Then, I'll tell you why I'm here and what's gonna go down. That sound good? 'Cause if you interrupt me eating this, I'm not gonna be a happy customer."

A certain, malicious gleam shone in his lenses for an instant and only an instant towards the healer. Sideways had heard all the rumors, but he had been surprised when he realised he was being sent here of all places.

"And this place is all about happy customers, am I right?"

He resumed eating his cereal before speaking once more with a goofy smile under his scarlet mask.

"Swo, wert's arre 'our tews naymes? *Smack!* *Crunch!*"

Internal

Post by Internal » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:04 am

No pain. Bea literally had nothing to lose, if the Dainty Lady was to be believed - and why not? She already knew just how soft Aliria was. Her eyes reinforced that, forgiving, gentle. Bea felt her own eyes lock into Aliria's, studying them, not sure what else there was to find.

A little warmth. Then strudel.

Bea took a deep breath. That would be n-

The door exploded open, and Bea almost jumped out of her skin. Her hand immediately went to where her pocket should be - where her knife was - but then she remembered that she'd taken her sweatshirt off, and even if she'd still had it, she hadn't brought a knife here. She hadn't seen the need to, which was, in retrospect, a dumb as fuck idea. Even if the explosion wasn't literal, the man in the mask who waltzed in just emanated danger.

Then he walked back out. And then he exploded inward again, and Bea jumped again, because she couldn't help it. Pulse spike. Adrenal release, leading to tension of muscle, heightened senses, shallower breathing, preparation for fight or flight. It was basic biology, the kind of thing Mommy had taught her when other kids were learning to ride a bicycle.

Mercenary?

Bea...she was pretty sure her name wasn't on any mercenary lists, but ever since she'd made sure they had lost track of her, she couldn't be totally sure. They wouldn't go so far as to have her killed - she could almost guarantee that. They were too soft for that. Maybe brought back alive, and then both she and the merc would be...

She didn't think about that. She wasn't supposed to. They might find out, they had all kinds of interesting ways to find out. Was that why he was here? Who else would want to find her? How'd he known where to find her? It crossed her mind that he might be here for Aliria, in the agonizing moment when his hands hovered dangerously above the pistols at his sides - but that was crazy, she scolded herself, as he lit a cigarette in the house. Aliria just wasn't that kind of person. She wasn't like Mommy.

Aliria. Can't forget about Aliria.

She might not be who the mercenary wanted, but she was a limiting factor on Bea's own reactions. She studied his face - the parts that were visible, anyway, trying to account for race, potential metahuman genetic factors, potential for disease, but she didn't let her eyes linger too intensely. Instead she gave it a once-over, then glanced back at the Dainty Lady, letting the biological signs of stress show in her face and body language.

Fight or flight. Adrenal rush. Pulling her body language close, defensive, tight again. She wondered if she should lean closer to Aliria or fold herself back into the chair to be more convincing, and then settled to move instead to the edge of her seat, resting her feet on the floor. Ready to bolt. Flight. It was his move, but she was resting uncomfortably between two things she very much wanted to do. What she actually did...she wasn't sure yet.

She'd have to keep watching.

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 pm

`
There are certain phenomena in nature that are so rare, it requires a confluence of extraordinary events for them to occur. Things such as fire rainbows, ball lightning, or the anger of Aliria Herzog. Aliria had taken up a protective stance between Bea and the intruder, glaring at him.
"Clearly no one taught you manners, perhaps not even how to read. Clearly, my sign was up that I was with a patient. Then to barge in, without knocking, TWICE, and frighten my client is unacceptable. Not to mention your language leaves a great deal to be desired. If you are that desperate for a meal, take the box and go." Where her voice had been calm and soothing just moments before, it now was icy, and cracked like a whip at this interloper. Aliria had gone beyond simple anger. This was fury. She had been so close to helping the poor child, and now this buffoon had ruined it all. She doubted the girl would trust her again after this, and decided if she still wished to be treated, Aliria would have to lock the door. She clearly was unprepared for the depths of inconsideration that this man had brought into her home.

Vengeance

Establish Some Ground Rules

Post by Vengeance » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:28 pm

She does know we're armed, right?
I'm more surprised she hasn't called you out for your lack of hygiene.
Hey, I shower!

The mercenary sighed. He had tried being friendly, even cordial before having to do the job he was hired to do, but it appeared no one was having any of it. Lifting himself off of the floor, he walked towards the pair before peering at each of them for a moment.

Then, he brought one of his Glocks to the head of Aliria.

"Okay, let's start over because clearly you don't know how to listen or read a situation for that matter. I'm a mercenary. A scumbag. A jackass, not an asshole. There is a distinction. And I'm here to do some naughty business."

A deadbeat pause.

"No, not that kind of naughty business. Jackass, not an asshole, remember?"

The mercenary shook the cereal box a bit before resuming. About half the box's worth of cereal was left inside. Perfect for him.

"Anyway, I was told to come to 303 Stonestar Street to kill anyone and everyone inside and burn this entire fucker of a place down. I was trying to lighten up the mood, make this all go smoothly," Sideways put the box down and whipped out a second pistol, pointed at her patient. If he had to shoot through the doctor here to kill her too, then so be it.

"And don't try to run, Stitch. I'm a professional."

The situation was tense and would appear to have no way out. No one had weapons on them, and the mercenary could blow them away at a moment's notice as he cocked the handle back on his twin pair of handguns.

"Honestly, I never thought anyone had it out for a healer, but who am I to judge, right?"

Except for one thing: Sideways had misread the address number on the house, and there was the fact that the building that was his real target was across the street. An honest mistake, right?

Let's just say that today of all days, things were about to get real sideways for Sideways.

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:17 pm

`
A quiet dread descended now over Aliria at the self-proclaimed mercenary's words. It was not a dread for her own life, but for Bea, and the others who relied on her. She spoke, in open honesty, though she doubted it would do any good.
"This isn't the right house. This is 305 Stonestar Street." Her voice was quiet, but she did not plead, or beg. She knew that to some in the mercenary profession, that would serve as all the provocation they required. She readied her powers, holding them in reserve to prevent the usual golden glow from giving her away. She knew there was too much distance between them, but resolved that if she were going to die, she'd do so protecting Bea. Bea, who had suffered enough. Bea, whose only crime had been to come to her for help at exactly the wrong time. Aliria had failed one child. She wouldn't fail another.

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Hahahaha! She's bullshiting us . . . right?
Sideways, I swear if you fucked up the address again, I will fuck your shit up.

Ah, fuck.

Sideways paused for a moment.

Had he legitimately screwed up?

"One sec."

*BAMPF!*

A few moments passed.

*BAMPF!*

The manic mercenary set the box of cereal down. Both Glocks were back in their holsters. His expression impossible to read as his back was turned to the pair. He walked over the nearest blunt object he could find.

And started slamming his head repeatedly into it.

"SON!"

Slam.

"OF!"

Slam.

"A!"

Slam.

"BITCH!"

A final resounding slam echoed through the house. The assassin had no reason to kill either of them, so he sat in a chair and tapped his fingers on whatever hard surface he could find for a few seconds. Then, he set his head down and peered up at the pair.

"It's ok. I'm not going to kill you." Sideways began. "I mean, I will if you two blab about all this. But, considering I'm here already, I've got one question to ask. It's an important medical question. Would really help with my mental health."

A deep pause before a serious tension emanating from the sarcastic soldier took over the room.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

"Why do nurses never where those short skirts anymore like on the TV? I mean, if I'm gonna die, I'd like to see one last slice of heaven before, y'know, kicking the bucket."

A smile began to show under the mask. At this point, he would not be surprised if the pair ran or tried to attack him. Honestly, the crimson killer did not care much. He just needed a few moments to relieve the migraine that kept pounding against the walls of his skull.

Veil Walker

Post by Veil Walker » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:41 pm

`
Aliria flinched as the man began beating himself, before he sat down and made an odd joke. She actually thought about it for a second, before shaking her head. Now was not the time to get distracted. Aliria sighed, and crossed the distance to the mercenary, though she managed to keep herself between him and Bea as she did so.
"I'm a healer. May I see your injuries? I'd like to help, if I can." She put her warm honesty into that statement. He was injured, and she genuinely wanted to help him, threats and all. She knelt down in front of the mercenary's chair so he could see her better.

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 pm

Being that the Lord of Duskburg, he kept the city under his eternal watch at all times no matter he was. In this case it was deep underground sewer tunnels that ran beneath the city. He laid, his body decrepit and still. And but his mind ever-active in the city of eternal night. And in this case, he choose to watch an unmarked area which had long garnered his interest.

The men had contacted him about a man who was dressed in all red and who appeared in their town. Someone easily recognized as a vigilante mercenary who did indeed end up strolling through town. But then the question remained. What the hell was he doing here? Another job? Maybe. But the unpredictable mercenary could easily be there for them too. A homeless man looked at him on the street. And then another. And another. Until one saw him head into the healer's home.

Oh boy.

"Hey boss? Should we do something?"

"Nah. Let's just see what happens."

With that, his eyes opened. And his consciousness moved through the blood. Eyes opened as he peered the the world from a new vessel. Dumpsters and boxes were like buildings. People walking in the street like titans. Someone could easily step on the meet puppet. But most people were inclined to not even realize the creature was there.

Squeak Squeak

Vas moved the rat quickly, darting along the edges of perception. No mouse hole as the building seemed to be rather well maintained. A diamond in a sea of figurative shit. Rather, he sent the creature right to the front door, conveniently opened by a homeless man who went and sat back down on an alley, right as the rat disappeared into the door.

A high place was nowhere to be. Neither was behind a corner. So, the rat entered the room as a blur -- darting straight underneath a table. In typical rat like.

Man. You really seem like you could use some protection, lady.

In rat like fashioned, the Vas had the rodent grabbed some cereal from the ground and skittered to hide behind the leg, eating it.

Nibble Nibble Nibble.
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!

Internal

Post by Internal » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Bea bit her tongue about the nickname. Stitch. Her fingers curled just a little bit, but she sat still. Did as he said. He was blocking the way to the kitchen, after all. No kitchen meant no knives, and getting out the door before he pulled the trigger on his pistol was out of the question. She was a quick little lab rat, but she wasn't that quick.

But then the idiot listed the address. The wrong address. Bea knew because she'd read the address a thousand times before visiting it. It wouldn't do to end up at the wrong place, after all. Not like this highly unprofessional guy. She didn't laugh - as much as she wanted to, they were still very much in danger if he took the news the wrong way - but she did lose just a touch of her own tension, when he came back, and it was confirmed.

She found a new kind of tension anyway as he brought a meat tenderizer to his fingers, with audible cracks. The fascination was certainly morbid, but honestly, that was the only kind of fascination she found in anything. Anyone. Her eyes flickered over to Aliria again, the Dainty Lady also watching the man. She offered to heal him, obviously, because that was her whole job. But as her attention drifted across the room, she saw something else that quickly seized her attention.

That's not good sterile technique.

She'd been around long enough, spent enough time in abandoned buildings, to recognize the flicker of black-gray movement across the floor. As Aliria went to - you guessed it - go fix the mercenary's hand, staying between him and Bea like she needed protection, still buying the child act at face value, Bea slipped silently from the couch to the floor, watching the Dainty Lady and Mouthy Merc with equal caution in her periphery, but crawled across toward the little animal, crouched on all fours like a cat, bright, red eyes reflecting its image back to it. She held a hand out toward it, careful, gentle, for the moment. It wasn't quite as interesting as anything else around her, well, anyone else, but it worked as a way to keep pretending to be a distractable child while also pretending to not be interested at all in what "the adults" were doing.