Can We Keep Him? [Closed]

Roleplay locations.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Can We Keep Him? [Closed]

Post by illirica » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Somehow, things had worked out okay. Maybe not entirely okay - somewhere, down in Morro Bay, things were still working out one way or another. But the important part was done with, anyway. Arin was safe. Arin was okay. Arin was... right here.

Oooh, boy.

That had seemed like such a good thing just a little while ago, when Prism had been beside him, facing men with guns. Now that she was considering facing her parents, it seemed like maybe there were a few hangups with the idea after all. Not that she wasn't going to go through with it, of course, because he was her friend, and he did need somewhere to stay.

It just wasn't going to be as easy as she'd pictured it, that was all. She opened the door to the house, deciding that the best thing to do was probably go ahead and get it done with. "Come on in," she offered, with a smile, "We'll find my parents and talk it over. I'm sure you can stay, I'm just not sure how long I'm going to be grounded for because of it."

She was kidding, of course.

Mostly.

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Re: Can We Keep Him? [Closed]

Post by Gestalt » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 am

A lot had happened, maybe too much. There was so much to unpack, to process, but right now wasn't the time. They were back in Solar, yet unlike last time it wasn't an illusion. While he wasn't exactly sure how they had traveled, that wasn't all too important. Morro Bay had been left behind, along with all the damage caused. However, all that would have to wait.

"You know, I'd feel kinda bad if you got grounded because of me," Arin mumbled with a smile as he took a hesitant step inside, undeniably slightly nervous as he turned his head, looking around the home. It was almost funny to think about, this was what made him nervous. After everything that had just happened, standing in the entrance of a friend's home made him feel anxious.

"Your house looks really nice though." Although as soon as he said it, he realized he didn't have much to compare it too. His old apartment had been a pretty small two-room place, and his dorm at the Shipyard was more comparable to a cell than a home. Both in size and functionality. He couldn't really remember the last time he'd inside of an actual house, but it was nice.

Even still, while the prospect of living here had sounded perfect before, he couldn't help but feel slightly antsy about the whole situation. Yet he took a deep breath to help calm himself down and looked over to Kelly, he was ready. He was certain that he still looked like a disheveled mess after everything that had just happened and despite his best efforts the tear stains still remained, but he was ready. As ready as he was ever going to be.
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:50 am

"It's okay, Arin," Kelly said, reassuringly, "I'm not gonna get in trouble because of you. If I do, it'll be because of my own choices." She hadn't really considered her house "really nice" - sure, it was all right, but it wasn't like a mansion or anything. Of course, Arin had been living on his own in an apartment, so maybe that had something to do with it. Even if, like, sometimes Kelly wished she could live on her own in an apartment.

Usually when her parents were saying something about her curfew and there were still totally people posting stuff on the internet that she wanted to respond to. Teenage life was tragic. "Mom? Dad! I'm home!" A year ago, there would have been no answer. Had it really been that long? A year ago, her parents had been working, constantly. A lot had changed over the year. They'd started spending more time at home, making sure someone was there most of the time. Keeping an eye on her, while she figured herself out as a superhero.

Sometimes it was kinda nice. Other times, she wondered if it would have been better if they'd been home more before that. Maybe, maybe not. Life was weird like that. There was a noise from the hallway, which marked the arrival of a middle-aged woman. Trade rainbow-colored hair for blonde-fading-silver, and she looked a bit like Kelly. "Hi, mom," Kelly said, brightly, "This is my friend Arin. He used to pilot a giant robot but it got blown up and then there was another and that's kind of a long story but he needs somewhere to be and can he stay with us?"

The woman considered this flow of information, with an expression somewhere between oh, here we go again and wait, what? After a moment, she looked down into the mug she carried, which didn't seem to have quite enough coffee for this conversation. First things first. "Hello, Arin," she said, extending a hand. "I'm Marcia. Kelly talks about you often. Nice to meet you."

The look she turned on her daughter was a bit more skeptical. "He is that Arin, yes?"

"Yes! Of course. I mean, I don't, like, know any others."

"Ah. And that means it's... that robot?"

"That wasn't Arin's fault. And it didn't mean to. And. Um?" This hadn't been part of the conversation, when she'd been having it in her head.

"Hm." Her mother looked definitively skeptical. She looked at Arin again, who looked... well, like a teenage boy. One who'd been through a lot, and did not need to be having this conversation right now. "Well. He can stay for a while, and we'll talk about long term in the morning, once you've both had a good night's sleep and something to eat. Come down to the kitchen. Kelly can show you the guest room later, where you'll be staying. And doors open if you're in the same room, you two."

"Mother!" That had definitely not been part of the conversation in her head. Kelly flushed, scandalized and not quite sure if she was offended or not because it was, like, totally not like that, except she didn't really want to say that in case he wanted it to be like that, and was that even an option? And there were way too many questions there. And it was, like, totally not like that.

Ugh. Parents.

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Gestalt » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:06 am

Raising his hand he gave an awkward wave as Kelly introduced him to her mom. He hadn't really thought too much about what Kelly's parents might have looked like, but he was almost surprised to find that her mom had normal colored hair. Although that sounded pretty silly thinking about it.

"It's nice to meet you as well, um... Ms. Sanderson." As he spoke he shook her extended hand. He wasn't quite sure how to address her but Ms. Sanderson seemed to work alright. She'd introduced herself as Marcia, but it felt kinda weird to be so informal.

As the conversation veered into talking about the ARMADA, Arin wasn't surprised nor offended by the skepticism. It only really made sense and depending on how much they knew about the whole situation some amount of hesitancy only seemed natural. A lot of damage had been caused, and it when beyond just the physical. So even if it wasn't his fault, he was undoubtedly involved in it and everything that happened. He had to bear some amount of blame for it all. Although, Kelly defending him did bring a smile to his face.

Even still, he was starting to think that maybe this wasn't such a great idea. It was more than understandable that Ms. Sanderson wouldn't really want him staying at their house. Which was why when she agreed he found himself feeling both elated and surprised. However, both were quickly superseded by an intense rush of embarrassment as she made an implied assumption about him and Kelly.

Arin's face instantly turned a bright red as he quickly raised his hands and shook his head. "Oh! Um- No- I..." Unsure whether he should be defending himself or apologizing he slowly trailed off after starting several objections but finishing none of them. His cheeks hot with embarrassment he quickly averted his eyes, his gaze coming to a rest as he stared at feet. Although even as he looked to the ground horribly embarrassed he still couldn't stop himself from sneaking a glance at Kelly to see what her reaction was.

Yet as flustered and awkward as he may have been, he still did his best to express his immense gratitude. Albeit even as he spoke looking directly at Ms. Sanderson his faint blush seemingly refused to fade. "Thank you so much." Eager to move the conversation topic to anything else he turned to Kelly with a pleading look in his eyes, "So Kelly... where exactly is the kitchen?"
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:24 am

"You're welcome," was all that Kelly's mom had to say to that, her tone a little concerned, but still warm and inviting. It probably made sense, given how Kelly was with people. She didn't mention the flustered looks at all, either - but at the same time, one couldn't be too careful on that account. The thing about adults was that they had once been teenagers - and despite the current teen generation's efforts to pretend otherwise, most of them remembered what it had been like.

"Yes, good question," Kelly said, on the kitchen issue, since Arin seemed to be about as eager to get off of the other subject as she was. "Come on, it's just down the hallway." She led the way, inquiring over her shoulder, "Is dad home?"

"He's working late tonight. I'll... explain things, when he gets home."

Kelly breathed a sigh of relief. "Thanks, mom." Explaining it once had been awkward enough, and she'd gotten through it mostly on excitement and adrenaline. Having to go through the whole spiel again later would be, like, awful.

The kitchen itself was pretty standard, as far as kitchens went - it had a table, with four chairs, because all tables had four chairs. Even though there had always just been the three of them, there had always been four chairs. Sometimes Kelly wondered what her family would have been like if she'd had a brother or sister - what would have been different.

Maybe with Arin here, she'd find out.

She wasn't really sure she wanted to be thinking of him like brother though.

Um. Maybe mom had a point? Oh, no, she didn't. Because it is so not like that. Um.

Friend. Stick with friend.

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Gestalt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:59 am

Relived to have moved through that subject with a blistering pace, Arin moved to follow Kelly down the hall and towards the kitchen. If there was one silver lining to the whole situation it had definitely shaken out any nerves he was having.

When he stepped into the kitchen he was unsure if he should sit before his hosts, however, something eventually forced his hand. Away from Morro and no longer stressing out about the conversation, he started to feel a light fatigue wash over him. The moment of calmness causing him to realize something that had previously gone unnoticed. The first being how drained he felt, he didn't feel physically sore or injured. Rather after the healing of the God Eye, he was almost completely unwounded. Yet the sheer amount of mental strain left him feeling somewhat dizzy and tired. In fear that he might simply fall down Arin pulled out a chair before sitting down and stifling a yawn.

The second was a gnawing feeling in his stomach informing him that he was rather starved. He hadn't exactly had any time to eat and for the past week, he hadn't had much of an appetite. Although at the moment he was feeling rather ravenous.

"If it's not too much of a bother, do you happen to have something I could eat?"

He realized that he didn't really know much about Kelly's family, although he supposed that really wasn't that surprising. Of the friends he had, he didn't really tend to ask them about their parents. He didn't really talk about his own much either. However now that he was in their house, he was sort of curious about something, especially seeing how Prism's identity was public knowledge now. Looking to Marcia he tilted his head slightly before asking a question. "If you don't mind me asking, are both you and your husband superheroes as well?"
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:17 am

"Don't worry, I'm hungry too," Kelly assured Arin, going not to the table but to the refrigerator. "Sandwich?" Sandwiches were easy. She had no idea what Arin would like, so she grabbed a selection and set it on the table with some bread and a couple plates. Superheroing was hard work, and the teenage appetite was difficult enough to keep up with even without that.

Kelly's mom stopped to refill her coffee mug, then took a seat at the table as well, since Kelly seemed to have food handled. She laughed at Arin's question, amused but not at all offended. "Not in the sense that you mean, Arin," she answered, "I'm a cardiac surgeon. Kelly's father works in media. He's a video editor. Kelly used to 'help' him when she was little, which is probably what got her started with the idea for that blog of hers."

"Blog is 'cause I'm awesome, mom," Kelly said, definitively, slicing a tomato. "Besides, it's great. I get to read all about all the superhero stuff right there, and sometimes they even comment and stuff. It's like I'm totally famous or something."

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Gestalt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 am

"Yeah, that sounds great." Arin nodded his head in response to the proposed sandwich. Frankly just about anything sounded wonderful, although it had been a while since he'd had a sandwich.

Getting up from his seat he moved next to Kelly before grabbing a plate and everything else he needed to arrange the meal. Putting together a sandwich Arin stuck to making something simple that he knew he'd enjoy. A regular ham and cheese sandwich with lettuce, mayo and strangely enough a bit of ketchup. He didn't really remember the first time he'd put ketchup on a sandwich, but as blasphemous as it was he kinda enjoyed it.

A grin sprouted on his face as he began to visualize a miniature Kelly helping out. He sort of got the sense that her parents had really rubbed off on her, which sounded nice. Even beyond her mom and her looking pretty similar, a surgeon was one of the closest things to a superhero that most normal people got.

"I mean Superhero slash Star Reporter sounds like a pretty efficient career combo, you get to write about the stuff you're actually there for. Can't get much more accurate than that," Arin said, taking a bite out of his sandwich as he returned to his seat.
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:10 pm

"Man, I am such a bad reporter," Kelly lamented. She'd finished her sandwich prep, which seemed to consist of tomatoes, spinach, and avocado - a true California girl. "Like, I love interviewing people, sitting down and talking to them and all? That's great. But, like, going places where stuff happened and trying to report and be totally unbiased and stuff when I just wanna be like 'Dude, you're doin' it wrong'? And, like, it just seems weird to report on stuff I should have been there for, and even weirder to report about stuff I was there for. Narcissistic, you know? Blech."

With all her self-confidence and firm belief that she was awesome, Kelly was hardly the humble, unassuming superhero type - but she drew the line at writing reports talking about how great she was, that just wasn't right somehow. That was, like, two steps too close to buying a white Persian cat and hmm-hmm-ing ominously from a hidden throne room.

She took a seat at the table and a bite of her sandwich. Arin had put ketchup on his, which was weird and she was totally judging him for it, but she wasn't gonna judge him out loud because he'd had a rough day. They both had. Wait until things got normal and she needed ammunition for why she should get the first shower or something, then "but you put ketchup on sandwiches!" would be totally viable. And completely tangential, but that was the hallmark of a good argument anyway.

"So, you wanna start school?" she inquired, curiously, "At, you know, SC-North. You ever been to school?"

Gestalt
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Gestalt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 pm

"School..." Arin almost idly repeated, he hadn't really thought about that, but being normal did mean going to school. Something that might prove a small problem, seeing as he hadn't actually been following any standard learning plan. He was pretty sure he might be able to integrate into math and some of science, but when it came to english or social studies it was a different story. Maybe he could just write it off as being homeschooled or something, seeing how that wasn't technically a lie.

Even still, the prospect of going to school did sound pretty nice. "Yeah, I think so. It only seems natural, right? Haven't really ever gone to school though, least not that I can remember. Although I may have gone to preschool because I learned how to read and write somewhere." Did they even teach you how to write in preschool?

"You might have to show me the ropes though, because I'll have no clue what I'm doing," Arin said with a smile, before taking another bite of his food.

"It's kinda weird isn't it?" He said, before quickly clarifying himself, "The whole power dampener I mean. I don't think I didn't feel it before, but now I know what it feels like without it. Honestly, though, it feels kinda nice. Like the good kind of nothingness. I think more than ever Solar might be the best place for me. At least until I can learn to control... well everything a bit better."
BULWARK
A boy, trying to live.