Characters go here!
Reyn
BBCode Guru

Key

Post by Reyn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:30 am

The London Sparrow - 31st October, 1852 - 1p - Every Day
The full account and latest pictures of all goings-on and happenings in London
Agatha Locke, 'Lady Detective', DEAD
The successful and established crime-solver Agatha Locke, nicknamed 'The Lady Detective', was found dead in the river Thames this morn at sunrise. As the city mourns the loss of a much-loved community figure and great ally to the police force, many people could not help but wonder about the mysterious circumstances surrounding Ms. Locke's death. Her body was found to have no wounds or signs of internal trauma, and she was found to not be carrying any poison inside her. She was not infected with any plague, she did not drown in the river, and she had been in perfect health just days before her last.
Police suspect that she has been murdered, and are currently running an investigation to try and find who could commit such an awful and strange crime, and are looking for witnesses around the area during Ms. Locke's final hours, hoping to shed some light on this dark crime against the city.
Ms. Locke's funeral is scheduled for the 10th of September at St. Paul's cathedral, and will be a public service as per her wishes. Members of the public are invited to attend the funeral to help carry her memory forwards and recover from this devastating loss.
The legacy that Ms. Locke left to both the police and to the citizens of London is one that will be lasting. She was successful and skilful at her job, despite being a woman, and even put some of her male peers in their place. In her honour, the police have started a new training regiment for young detectives called 'the Locke Programme', and it is due to begin next year. The programme involves logical and deductive thinking, and should help produce more fine detectives like Ms. Locke to serve in her absence. Perhaps we will find out the truth of this crime one day.

MORE STORIES INSIDE: Cooking duck for the family, what to get for 1p (that isn't the London Sparrow), church reports and more!
"There it is, one of the few clippings I managed to save from the good ol' days. I remember there being a really good article about home cooking a few pages in, but I only ended up keeping the front page. Still, I guess an article on some missing detective is more interesting to most people.

Y'know, they never did find out how she died. A week before her funeral was scheduled to take place, her body went missing from the morgue and was never found again. They suspected it was stolen, possibly by a witch to do some weird magic on the bones. There were a few characters like that around in those days, though you didn't see 'em tried as much. Not that I condone witch-hunting or anything, it's just an interesting little historical fact for ya.

I tell ya what, though- she was a sharp dresser, weren't she? I mean look at that coat... had it made in Edinburgh, y'know. They brought the tailor down to London to get the measurements off her, then sent him back with all the money he could ask for. It's a very nice coat, actually. Very soft on the inside, yet surprisingly durable on the outside. I'd say it's stab-proof, almost, but back then we didn't really have good weapons. The most that coat probably ever saw was a dull-bladed butcher knife...
...Not that I would know, of course."
ImageImage

🏠 lockeandkey.netNEW: LIMITED OFFER, 50% OFF YOUR CASE IF I FAIL!
🕵️ No case too big, no case too small.
FULLY QUALIFIED
I went to law school and I only cried ONCE.

Working out of London, England but I can move internationally (if you pay for accommodation).
[BOOK] [ENQUIRE]

Name:
Agatha Beatrice Locke
Alias:
Sherlock Bones Key, The Lady Detective, London's Finest, The Grim Reaper (what, did people not die before 1852?)
Alignment:
Neutral, but leans towards good. She'll do her job, no matter who she's doing it for, but she doesn't like to be in conflict with anyone.

Abilities:
Being a half-living skeleton is in itself a notable ability. As much as she likes to complain, there are a couple of benefits to being free from the mortal coil.

Key is a skeleton. She's dead. You can't kill the dead. Key's body will piece itself back together very quickly after being damaged, and even the most skull-shatteringly powerful strike won't cause her to be down for long. She can survive literally everything, which is rather unfortunate for someone who thinks she's lived too long.

What do skeletons not have? That's right, nerve endings. Key has no flesh, nerves, or even brain cells on her body that could cause her pain or discomfort. The most she can feel is pressure, so she can tell whether someone is touching her or not, but anything more complex than that just ain't happening.

However, the perks don't stop there. Or, maybe they do. You see, Key is a temporal anomaly. She is a person who kept living long after her body had decomposed, and she doesn't seem to be showing any signs of dropping dead. Key tried to mend this strained relationship with time, to great effect... by finding ways she can manipulate it. She doesn't like to talk about these skills of hers...

Touching Key's right hand will cause an object to revert to a previous state, depending on how long they made contact for (and how nice Key is feeling that day). Since the reversal is purely temporal, this means that Key is able to heal most injuries, however it comes at a cost that can be quite severe. People she heals will feel phantom pains where their injury was and, if the injury was fatal, they will still die even though their body looks healthy. It's mostly good for small scratches.

Touching Key's left hand is a really bad idea and you probably shouldn't do it ever.

Seriously.

She can accelerate time on an object to a dangerously rapid speed, causing even the most durable of materials to break apart. Everything runs out of time eventually, and all Key has to do to break it is to find out when their expiry date is. Solid steel walls, stone gates, and human flesh can fall to her decay just as easily as each other. Thankfully, stronger materials still take a while to fully destroy, as Key has to be very careful not to accelerate time too much over it, as this could end up having the reverse effect on her: slowing her down in time and leaving the object relatively unharmed. Flesh, however, is not a strong material. Don't touch her left hand.

If Key is running towards you in a dark alley, then you should be careful. If Key is standing perfectly still in a dark alley, then you should kick her head off and run away as soon as possible.

The Mists of Time allows Key to generate a small amount of white mist (approx. enough to fill a 5x5 metre area) that, if touched, has similar effects to her left hand, although thankfully much slower. Things that are in contact with the mist will begin to decay at an increased rate, and this effect will last until either the mist disappears or until they can get away from it. As soon as contact is removed, any injuries sustained will heal at a similarly increased rate, taking about as long as they spent in the mist in order to fully heal.

As mentioned before, Key is completely immobile whilst this is active. If even the tiniest amount of mist exists, then Key can't move a single bone.

Equipment:
A scarf and sunglasses to hide the fact that she's a skeleton, a pair of thick gloves to provide reassurance from her abilities, and a very nice coat that's from Edinburgh.
"So, there ya have it. A smart-dressing skeleton detective from London with a mysterious past and a bunch of cool time powers. Is that what you signed up for, ma'am? Do you still want me to work for ya on this case of yours? Ma'am? Ma'am, please stop screaming... you've seen a skeleton before, right? Well, I mean you have one inside you right now... hey, what are you doing with my head? Put that down this instant! I will not stand for this type of treatment! As a skeleton in the workplace in the year of our lord 2018, I would think that I would be treated like something more than a football!

Ah, is that all, then? Goodbye. Hope your case gets solved soon."
Last edited by Reyn on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Re: Key

Post by Orph » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 am

Getting some strong Fallen London vibes from this. Good stuff.
A myth where ultimate evil turns its gaze on humanity and humanity gazes right back and says "Gotcha."

Reyn
BBCode Guru

Post by Reyn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:37 am

thanks bro i think skeletons are really neat

Deus Mortis

Post by Deus Mortis » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:38 am

It's a bit bare bones
"Calhamce."

Reyn
BBCode Guru

Post by Reyn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:44 am

damn and i tried to make it so hip

Quirbles
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Quirbles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:44 am

Obligatory skeleton pun. Live studio audience laughter. Opening credits play in yellow text

Reyn
BBCode Guru

Post by Reyn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:48 am

bones.PNG
bones.PNG (21.76 KiB) Viewed 172 times

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:49 am

How humerus
“The tongue is the most remarkable. For we use it both to taste out sweet wine and bitter poison, thus also do we utter words both sweet and sour with the same tongue.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book

Reyn
BBCode Guru

Post by Reyn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:04 pm

fixed it following the update. should look better now

and with the last alias, im done