That Was A Great Line

Out of Character chatter and the section rules/announcements.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

That Was A Great Line

Post by illirica » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:39 pm

How about a little OC Props thread? The point of this thread is to give props to something someone else has written that you really thought was awesome.

Rules:

1. You can only give props to someone else! No self-quotes.
2. Try to explain a little of what was going on at the time, if it's relevant, or why you thought the quote was so cool.
3. Link it if you can.

Feel free to discuss the things other people are saying are awesome as well, just remember to keep it positive.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: That Was A Great Line

Post by illirica » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Starting off:
Wint wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 pm

"And here she starts, the bait! With a taunt! Ladies and gentlemen, I repeat, we have a taunt. That's critical damage! That's more than double- Oh wait, it's zero. Sorry, love. Don't worry, you got this."
Over in the Leilamont thread, an introductory post by Wint's new character not only perfectly captures the spirit of the place, but also manages to deliver a lovely backhanded compliment. For some reason, that whole post just tickled my absurd sense of humor. It was weird and silly, but it was also totally relevant and showed that Wint has obviously been paying attention to what's going on, who's there, and why. Not only that, even in offering Announcer Type criticism, he keeps it on the side of positive humor, without delving into cheap insults. The whole thing was just awesomely done.

I'm definitely looking forward to what happens over there in crazy land next.

Also:
Pyrogram wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:28 am
“I shall admit responsibility for my delinquencies.”
Over in the Detroit disaster, The Entity does something almost entirely unheard of in superhero news - admits wrongdoing and surrenders to the authorities. Now, I'm not convinced he won't break out later, but just the idea that a supervillain might actually be convinced to step down was great. It was a bit abrupt at the time, and I have to admit I definitely was on the "Wait, what?" vibe for a little, but the more I think back on it, the more I think this is going to be something that develops into something really interesting for the world setting over time.

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:20 am

Maxx wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:49 am
Jax put his arm around her in a comforting, brotherly hug, knowing this situation was the one thing she was afraid of. "It's alright, April, I'm here and you know nothing can hurt you when I'm here." He said this in an attempt to make her laugh.
Despite her fear, Storm laughed a little, Jax's efforts succeeding. However, Jax knew it was bad by the way she said nothing in response to him using her actual name.
Basically, in this, Jax is a vampire and Storm (his sister in-all-ways-but-blood) is in the middle of being trailed by a Serial Killer.

Particularly in a superhero verse, I really gotta say that I like how he can show someone to be vulnerable and allow you to have some level. I always wanted to do this kind of villainous horror type thing. I like how his characters actually have more depth than I originally thought.
Storm absentmindedly scratched at the inside her wrist
It's a small thing, but I noticed this gesture at first and then wondered about it. Then I saw him do it again as things started to escalate. It's a very good way of showing, not telling. If you read the Dialogue, you would say Storm is very adamant of showing fear to my psychotic, sadistic character, but she can't really help but be afraid regardless.

Generally, how much Maxx is selling all this is what I respect the most.
Bashanipal,The Accursed
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Styx, The Bullet Witch
Sudden Death, Malcom the Merciful
HossDaBoss,The Backyard Drug Lord
Belle, Delighted Fledgling of the Damned
Auspex, Your Friendly Neighborhood Domestic Terrorist
Mera The Merciless,A Once God of War
Ms. Mayhem, The Mayor of beatdown town
Ultra, The Psycho Crusher
Grevious, The Cosmic Draconian Conqueror
Melinoe, The Gift of Death
Lethe, The Wild Reaper

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:56 am

illirica wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:42 am
It might come to you as a shock
After stabbing the thing that went squawk
The filling is icky
and gets you quite sticky
Well, what'd you expect from a cock?
I think this stands better without context.
I look in the water and fear what I see
I know it's no stranger but I know it's not me
My life is a lie that was uttered in jest
If I can't change at all, let me rest

Quirbles
Advanced Mod

Post by Quirbles » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:08 am

Annasiel wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:34 am
"Batshit -- James can't come to -- get out of my palace, and -- can't stand those people, always -- AND HE SCORES!"
can't believe you fucked up my ride

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:18 am

I honestly really liked "Drove...car!" out of that same post. It was just so comically proud-of-herself for being totally inept.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:19 am

Hey! The car still (probably) works, and she made it do a cool trick! I think that counts for something.
I look in the water and fear what I see
I know it's no stranger but I know it's not me
My life is a lie that was uttered in jest
If I can't change at all, let me rest

Pyrogram

Post by Pyrogram » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:48 am

illirica wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Also:
Pyrogram wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:28 am
“I shall admit responsibility for my delinquencies.”
Over in the Detroit disaster, The Entity does something almost entirely unheard of in superhero news - admits wrongdoing and surrenders to the authorities. Now, I'm not convinced he won't break out later, but just the idea that a supervillain might actually be convinced to step down was great. It was a bit abrupt at the time, and I have to admit I definitely was on the "Wait, what?" vibe for a little, but the more I think back on it, the more I think this is going to be something that develops into something really interesting for the world setting over time.
Thanks. And of course, you're right xD But at the same time he didn't lie. All shall be revealed!...

Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:46 am

Weltgeist wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:44 pm
"Lost?"
Seriously, this single sentence holds the symbolic weight of J.J. Abrams' six-season epic. It conveys a meaning longer sentences couldn't, and in its simplicity, it perfectly encapsulates the speaker's character in full.

Weidmann

Post by Weidmann » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:22 am

I kinda forgot this was a thing, but here's a line that caught my eye when I saw it.
illirca wrote:"Azai." she repeated the name, flatly.
What really sells me on the line is how Tyria tends to have an almost flowery way of speaking using flamboyant words seemingly because nobody else does. Yet when placed in the situation where one of her allies could potentially be a monster it puts her on edge, and I think the brief and more direct way of speaking even for a moment really helps get that across.
Bio
An end to a lineage.