Superhero Sandbox Rules

Out of Character chatter and the section rules/announcements.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Superhero Sandbox Rules

Post by illirica » Sat May 26, 2018 2:07 am

This is the rules thread for the Superhero Sandbox.

As with any subforum of RPF, all standard RPF rules apply. You can find them here.

Character Creation
All character bios go here. You are responsible for creating your bio and keeping it updated. When you update a bio, please post “Updated <date>” as a comment, with a synopsis of any changes you made.

Characters must be reasonably your own. It is okay to have a character who looks like Superman and has many of the same abilities as Superman, but you cannot be Superman. Find some way to redesign the character so that they are interesting in their own right.

Characters should be reasonably designed. A character who does everything and knows everything is going to be boring. Some of the best characters I have ever seen do one thing and one thing only, but make it work really well for them.

Your origin story should not define world lore in any significant way. If anything in your background would force an effect on any other character's past or present (unless you are coming up with it jointly with someone for that reason), or would forcibly define the world going forward, then it shouldn't be used.

You may have more than one character in the universe. There is no restriction on the number of characters you may have.

Just like in Azuria, all characters must be accepted by a mod or council member before you may post in any RP threads.

Roleplaying
When your character is engaged in a battle, he or she may use only the powers and abilities that were in his or her bio prior to joining the battle. In simple terms, you can’t just decide your character had a nuke in his pocket all along. You may, of course, come up with new and creative ways to use the abilities you already had.

No godmoding, auto-hitting, or no-selling. You cannot control another person’s character, you cannot automatically hit another person’s character, and you cannot write your character out of everything.

Interactions may be [closed] or [open] or [semi-open] / [limited]. A closed thread is reserved for certain people (1-1s and the like), an open thread anyone can join. A semi-open thread will be open to some but not all, and may have certain restrictions on who can join - like no one above or below a certain power level, or only technically- or magically-inclined characters, or only 5 people, or only one character per person.

The author of an event may set his or her own rules for the event, within reason.

No one may cause sudden, wide-scale destruction. You can’t just say “I nuked Australia” and present it as a fait accompli. Any major destruction should be happening within major threads with many participants all working together to make something cool happen.

No characters may possess powers or technology that are disruptive to the setting. Essentially, don’t be OP. If your character is world-breakingly powerful, you shouldn’t be writing that character here.

Large scale geopolitical power is considered to be held by NPCs. You can probably rule a town with your iron fist, but you don’t rule all of Africa. The same goes for corporate and economic power.

Importing Characters from Other RPs
You may import a character concept from another RP or site if you desire, so long as they fit the general setting and guidelines of this area. You must repost the character concept in the characters area.

You may import a general idea of things your character may have been doing in the past. You may not import specific events. (i.e. you can have “fought a witch and a dragon in the forests of Japan,” but don’t dwell on specifics that others here may not be aware of).

You may not import any power (political or economical or military) that your character has amassed. It is up to you to determine why your character is no longer the God-King of Timbuktu.

You may not import other people’s characters. You and another person may choose to import shared canon together, at your own discretion, so long as that canon is only between the two of you and does not involve other parties. If either party does not wish to import the canon, it is not to be imported.

You may retcon your character from another RP outside the sandbox and start with a clean slate if you desire. Please avoid retcons of characters who have been active here, as it disrupts other people's canon continuity. Just write them out or retire them, and design a new character.

Consistency and Continuity
Canon within a subforum is consistent. Any events happening in the subforum are assumed to affect all characters on that subforum - so if Australia gets blown up on a thread, that means in your character’s world, there’s no Australia.

Large-scale created canon involving multiple users that is abandoned by its creator for more than 3 months is considered public domain. If you create the X-People and a bunch of other heroes join you and it’s awesome, and then you leave, the others can continue to create and develop the X-People concept. You cannot come back a year later and say “But this is my team, I demand it back.”

Leadership
The members of the Sandbox have elected a council to help make decisions regarding in-universe concerns (e.g. - Is Superman being too OP in this RP?). The council is composed of 3 active members. Members who are inactive for more than a month are automatically considered to have stepped down, and a replacement will be elected. Our current council is: Quirbles, Orpheus, and Bulwark

The council and the forum mod will be different people - the forum moderator is not eligible for council election, and should the modship of the forum change to another member who is a council member, they will be automatically resigned from the council on accepting the moderator position.

My role is as moderator to make sure the forum is acting smoothly, act as a liason with the RPF admin/mod team, prune spam and other thread management, and handle user relations. I am not in charge of canon. I feel that division of roles is important.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Superhero Sandbox Rules

Post by illirica » Sat May 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Tips and Tricks

Not rules, just little things that you might find helpful.

Reyn's incredibly awesome BBCode Guide - a lot of the common BBcode commands people use around here, how to use them and what they do.

Mentions and Notifications
One thing I've seen people asking about on Discord is how to handle pinging a certain person. The way I like to use is this:

Code: Select all

[spoiler=@accountname][quote=accountname].[/quote][/spoiler]

This creates a little box with "@accountname" and sends a notification to the named person. It can be very useful if you want to attract a particular character's notice to your post. If I do it at myself, it looks like this:

illirica wrote:.
You can ping multiple people as well:

Code: Select all

[spoiler=@accountname1, @accountname2][quote=accountname1].[/quote][quote=accountname2].[/quote][/spoiler]

The period can be anything you like, it's just a placeholder.

Uploading Images
Another thing people don't realize you can do!

You have to be in the full reply and not the quick reply. Underneath the post box there is a little place that says "Attachment."
Click on that and upload the image, and then use the "Place inline" button to put it in your post where you want it to be.

Once you've used an image attachment in a post, if you go to your User Control Panel there's an option that says "Manage attachments" and shows you all the attachments you've used in the past. You can click on any one of those and use the hyperlink to it for future posts rather than having to upload the same image multiple times.

Useful Links
"Breaking News" image generator
Fakebook, Tweets, that sort of thing
Color Palette site

lowlaville

Post by lowlaville » Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 am

(Drake told me about this today morning. I might drop by!)

Azra

Post by Azra » Sun May 27, 2018 5:34 pm

lowlaville wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 am
(Drake told me about this today morning. I might drop by!)
You live! How is an Azra supposed to pester you if you just vanish lol?

lowlaville

Post by lowlaville » Tue May 29, 2018 9:14 am

illirica wrote:No characters may possess powers or technology that are disruptive to the setting. Essentially, don’t be OP. If your character is world-breakingly powerful, you shouldn’t be writing that character here.
Ano..

could you elaborate this?

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue May 29, 2018 2:33 pm

lowlaville wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:14 am
That's directly taken from CV. Basically it's the "you can't create a widespread cure for cancer" rule.

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue May 29, 2018 3:13 pm

It's I think meant like don't Day one have a character able to cure cancer across the world or say suddenly just wiping out half the population. That's not to say it can't happen necessarily but it's something to build up to and so on. The sandbox is meant for a large variety of people don't try and change it just for ones individual wants or narrative

lowlaville

Post by lowlaville » Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 pm

illirica wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:33 pm
lowlaville wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:14 am
That's directly taken from CV. Basically it's the "you can't create a widespread cure for cancer" rule.
Fair enough. Thought you meant I can't run a Vandal level character.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue May 29, 2018 8:18 pm

I'd say Vandal-character is fine, overrunning the world with demon hordes isn't. If you want to try for that, gotta be done in a big RP, not as part of a backstory.

TehMagicPudding

Post by TehMagicPudding » Wed May 30, 2018 3:06 am

Would a character having a spaceship be OK? I'm thinking of making a character based on the idea of "What if, instead of becoming a hero, Star Lord became a straight up mercenary, came back to Earth, and used advanced space technology to become a criminal?"

My character's spaceship would basically be the spaceship equivalent of a box truck refitted for smuggling and speed.
Science can't disprove the existence of ninjas, only their direct presence.