Cincinnati [Location]

Roleplay locations.
illirica

Cincinnati [Location]

Post by illirica » Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Located technically in Ohio, but at the very corner of the state, the suburbs of Cincinnati have sprawled out across the Kentucky River into Indiana and Kentucky as well. Not quite as big as some of the other cities like LA, Chicago, or New York, it is nonetheless respectably sized, with a modern metropolis and homes of several businesses. Its location not being one of the premier cities, homes are somewhat more affordable than some of the other urban areas.

There are a number of jobs available in the corporate sector, and Cincinnati also hosts a number of call centers due to the neutrality of the regional accent.

Hot and humid in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter, the climate of Cincinnati touches all the bases in the course of a year, which is much better than can be said of the local baseball team, the Cincinnati Reds, who last won a World Series in 1990.

Like any city, there are a number of restaurants and shopping districts. Ethnicities tend to be blended, though there is a prevalence of people of German and Irish descent. Crime has been on a steady decline in recent years, and most crime in the city tends more towards single operatives, lacking the organized crime of Chicago or New York or some of the other large cities.

Meta-crime, in particular, tends to be low - mostly because most metas find Cincinnati too small-time to be worth the effort. While there may technically be metas of any level in and around the city at any time, those who live there tend to be of low-to-mid tier in terms of power scale.

In any case, Cincinnati tolerates its meta-population, treating them mostly like any other citizen. The people of the city don't have much tolerance for metas who do nothing but wander the streets looking to stir up trouble or save people, so those metas who have made Cincinnati their home tend to be strongly encouraged to "get a real job."

Cincinnati is also home to the gorgeous Newport Aquarium, which is technically across the river in Newport Kentucky, a fact which Kentucky natives are quick to mention but most of the rest of the world ignores pointedly. The Aquarium contains a large number of beautiful underwater tunnels, and is a good place to visit if you need something low-key.

Roleplaying here:
-No major destruction
-Metas who wish to make this their "home" should be low or mid tier, though any tiers are welcome to visit
-As always, be respectful and follow the site rules
-Enjoy!

illirica

Re: Cincinnati [Location]

Post by illirica » Mon May 28, 2018 4:36 pm

The little house sat in a neat row with other little houses. Sitri still wasn't sure about the fact that she had gotten to a point in her life where she actually owned a house. It was a small one, to be sure, and there wasn't much of a yard - which was fine, because she didn't want to take care of one. No garage, which was also fine, because she couldn't drive. There was a bus stop a block away, though, and she was only a mile from the train station. Public transit was a necessity - dropping in to a pit of despair every day to go to work just wasn't feasible.

She'd gotten a job again, working as a waitress in a little cafe near some of the call centers - mostly she worked the lunch rush, which left her evenings free. She didn't really need the money; disability covered her expenses fine, but the regional attitude had gotten to her, and she'd figured she might as well do something with her life, even if it was waiting tables again. She'd kind of missed it, to be honest, then she'd started waiting tables again and remembered why she'd quit. Getting called "Siri" wasn't funny the first time, and it definitely wasn't funny the thousandth time, either. Stupid phone apps.

Her neighbors were decent. Jewish, largely. Sitri'd looked for that. She still wasn't Jewish, but she fit in with the community, more than she did with other communities. And it had made the Rabbi happy when she'd moved out, to know that she was living near "good people." He called sometimes, still. He was a good man, Sitri thought. One of the few. She respected that.

The man coming down the street... wasn't, really. Oh, he wasn't bad, but he didn't have that same aura of good. That was fine with her as well. It was more fun that way. The windows were open, pretending that there was going to be a breeze. She heard him walk by, a couple times, then stop and decide to knock. Sitri went downstairs to meet him, opening the door very slowly.

He wasn't, generally speaking, very good with doors. "Hey," she greeted him, with a smile, "Tell me you didn't bring your stupid arrow."

drake wrote:

Drake

Post by Drake » Mon May 28, 2018 5:26 pm

It often didn't end well, his meetings with those of the opposite sex, that is. In all these years after a harsh break up, specifically one that ravaged his emotions posteriorly to making a turmoil out of them, he had came to the brilliant conclusion that if he had met someone interesting and they were not mentally unstable somehow, they were already taken. Eventually, however, he had the pleasure to meet Sitri.

Something that proved his theory even further. She was indeed one of the craziest people he had known, who managed to bullseye four out of five bottles blindfolded, and didn't like dogs. Her crazy wasn't all that bad, though.

Not for him, at least.

Okay, so I turn aroooound... here? A native of Los Angeles, Drake had found himself out of his element upon landing in Ohio. Mostly because he had never been to anywhere that did not present some sort of risk to his health, such an amicable neighborhood clearly never had been in his plans for the weekend. Being shot at by multiple armored guards while listening his superiors bark orders through a comm-link? Now that sounded as the flawless weekend plan. Okay, I give. I have no fucking idea where I'm at right now. Always smooth and late, Drake.

His fingers ran nonchalantly by the back of his head, she had messaged him the address a week before, his minor prize for a competition he hadn't properly won. The tie certainly seemed more benefitial to both parties involved, though. Or, at the very least, the performance had him believe it was. The archer asked around, an aloof air to his questions as directions were so simply given and led him to a place he had passed before... At least twice.

This wasn't here before, right? Right. Magical city, I don't know how I never figured it out. A place with such a cool name couldn't be from this plane of existence. Lost in thought, he mindlessly approached Sitri's place. He had heard she owned a house now, couldn't really put his finger kn the why but he was proud. And she was quick. Too quick. Not even one knock had touched the door and it creaked open, revealing those enthralling azure irises through the gap. "Hey." Drake greeted, waving. "Haha, yeeeaaahh, about that" I brought a different arrow for you. "I did, but it's because I have a mission coming this Monday, so I decided it'd make it easier than calling this off." The man chuckled, for the first time in a while having no bandages wrapped around his body or embarassing moments involving his face and an object that shouldn't come its way. "So this is the place I've heard so much about, huh? It's a good neighborhood too." Easy to get lost. "Makes me a bit jealous, mine's a shitshow. But, aaaanyways, how have you been? Last we spoke you were still reminding me how stupid my arrows are."

@illirica wrote:.

illirica

Post by illirica » Mon May 28, 2018 5:44 pm

"I'm still reminding you how stupid your arrows are. Literally right now," Sitri pointed out, opening the door all the way. Like most front doors, it opened inward, but that didn't mean he still wasn't capable of hitting it with his face. "Come in, anyway." The living room was small, with a second-hand couch along one wall and a third-hand chair on the other. A little table held a laptop computer, a CD/radio, and a couple stacks of very precisely organized papers, covered in little dots. She hadn't bothered with getting a coffee table, being of the opinion that those were just one more thing to hit your shins on, but a little stand between the couch and the chair held a napkin and half a glass of what had probably been ice water, sometime yesterday.

A doorway without a door led back into the kitchen, and another into the hallway where there was her bedroom, bathroom, and a tiny second bedroom that she called the "guest bedroom" but didn't actually have any furniture at all, as well as the stairs down to the basement, which wasn't finished but had an actual washer and dryer (a luxury after apartment life), and it was a decent space for practicing sword work. Or cane work, she supposed.

The lights were off, she never bothered with them, but there was probably enough sunlight coming in with the windows open. "It's not bad," she approved of her place, "I gotta say, I never could have afforded something like this in LA. It's not as expensive out here, though. Besides - you're the idiot who decided to live in a shithole city. It's probably more interesting there. I've been all right. Life's good, work sucks, the usual. How about you?"

drake wrote:

Drake

Post by Drake » Mon May 28, 2018 8:18 pm

"Some things never change, do they?" He playfully shrugged, stepping into her place after thankfully bowing his head. He carried two bags, it would have been made much clearer to Sitri that he either was as idiotic as she teased him about or meeting a more-than-friend-but-not-so-much person wasn't all he had schemed for his week. Eyes darting around, Drake could appreciate the simplistic aspect of the place, nothing too flashy neither too clean, - unlike his own apartment after his roommate started bunking there, cleaning every spec of dust away - a good place to spend a tranquil evening or crash down after breaking through the limits of your resistance for alcohol.

Feels right for her to live in a place like this... Well, maybe it's lacking a little more crazy. Drake's grin was genuine, nothing alike the smug looks he gave her back at the City of Angels, or the pride with which he puffed his chest at their contest, this had a distinct twist to it. Something that had his mind, for a change, reassuing him of his success. You've finally done it, Drake. It didn't last long, however, as he promptly started looking around, and then back to Sitri. "Uh, where can I leave the bags at?" He inquired curiously, halting in place instead of venturing further himself, he should allow her to introduce him to the house, not the other way around.

"Eh, what can I say. another idiot in a city filled with them." Drake mused over her comments about LA, they weren't wrong at all. "Seems like a perfect fit, if you ask me." Even though it could cost less. "And yeah, lady like you, in LA? I'd say that would also be a perfect fit. Still, you're right about the price, it's why I have a roommate in the first place." Besides, she's great for the eyes. "I think I've been the same as you, honestly. Life's been okay, work's been a pain in the ass, as you can see." He lifted one of the bags. "Overall, though, guess it's been looking up." Especially this weekend. "So, what's the plan for today?"

illirica

Post by illirica » Mon May 28, 2018 8:36 pm

"I guess you can just throw your bags in the second bedroom, it's basically the size of a closet anyway." Her plans didn't really involve him staying in the second bedroom, but she didn't need a bunch of crap on the floor of her room. "Come on, I'll show you the way," she added, proceeding to give him a quick little tour of the house. It didn't take long - for the most part, it was very sparsely furnished, and things seemed to be very precise in their locations, as if laid out on a grid. Sitri kept them that way on purpose - it made it easier to find the damn spatula if it was always in exactly in the same place.

They ended up in the kitchen, which was a little less forward than ending up in the bedroom, ahem. "You want anything to drink? It's basically water, juice, or Coke, but you're welcome to any of those. I wasn't sure what time you'd make it in, so I didn't want to plan too much for today, but if you want to do something, we can. What are you even interested in, besides arrows and hot chicks, anyway?" Maybe the sort of question she should have asked a week ago, but hey, spontaneity was the spice of life.

drake wrote:

Drake

Post by Drake » Mon May 28, 2018 9:28 pm

"Roger that. Thanks." Drake nodded, following her throughout the rapid tour, it was oddly well-organized, he could clearly tell that much, meanwhile his room looked, most of the times, like he didn't care half as much about his stuff as he believed to. Advantaging of their stop at the second bedroom, Drake slid both backpacks off his back and arm, placing them cautiously against a wall. When he stopped looking over at her instead of, well, anything else, - she did have better 'furniture' than the place - they had arrived back at the kitchen. Take it easy, Drake. You look like you just won the lottery, it's pityful and creepy. "I'll take water. Didn't expect you to have any beer, you're not big on alcohol from what I remember." Must be really wild drunk, you seem the type.

Drake sighed in relief, after the flight he honestly just wanted to take it easy, especially with a mission coming up next. "Interested? Well, you covered pretty much half of my life. And I guess there's also hot chicks, so 51% of it." He joked, still believing his words to hold a hint of truth. "Movies are a nice way to spend the weekend. I play the piano too sometimes, guess younger me would be surprised that wasn't time wasted. We can walk around the city, but I think I've done that enough." Because I was lost. "You're a nice person, though, and I usually do everything on my own. Wouldn't hurt to do nothing but talk, we do know very little about each other. Like, what would you like to do instead? And, even more cliché than that, what's your favorite color?" Drake was half-serious, it was true enough that they didn't even know much about the other, but wouldn't it be for the best? The more they bonded, the worse it would be for him in the future. His experience with women he liked taught him that much.

illirica

Post by illirica » Tue May 29, 2018 12:09 am

Sitri got a couple glasses from the cupboard, which weren't actually glass, but the plastic cups designed for kindergarteners. She didn't like using actual glass - it was too easy to knock off a counter, and too hard to find the pieces. She supposed she could get some adult-sized ones some day, but the kiddie cups worked well enough. She dropped a couple ice cubes in each and added water, then brought them to the table and sat down in one of the chairs.

"No shit?" Sitri inquired, at his little revelation. "I wouldn't have figured you for a piano player. You seem more like the sort of dude who'd play the ukelele. Or the kazoo." She sipped at her water, and he turned the conversation towards her. Innocent questions. Questions that should have been innocent, anyway.

Color... Sitri closed her eyes, mostly to hide the blankness in them, and tried to remember what colors looked like. Some of them she remembered. Green, red. Blue. She tried to think of what yellow was like, though, and couldn't. She remembered knowing what it was. She remembered things that were yellow, but when she tried to picture the color, it just... wasn't there. She frowned a little, then made herself let it go. Some things changed, over time. "I always liked blue," she said, softly. She still remembered blue. She wondered how long that would last.

drake wrote:

Drake

Post by Drake » Tue May 29, 2018 12:59 am

The kazoo? Do I look like one of those little kids that make their dads consider a vasectomy? Drake chuckled at her completely valid amusement, she was correct to think he had no interest at it, not at first, yet it was enforced by an overzealous mother who could be very convincing with emotional blackmail. Drake ended up loving it, his quaint traits aiding on his plays, he was quite decent, or so he was told. He hadn't touched the piano in a good while. "Nothing a mother won't force you to do. I ended up liking it, though. Guess that's a shock for most people, someone like me related to a cult instrument like a piano. I can barely see myself wearing a suit without looking like a bum."

It wasn't the biggest surprise of the night, however. Sitri's sudden shift in mood was the veracious unexpected moment of the day, her often ironic comments slithering through Drake's attempts at anything, sometimes responded with equally snarky returns, others by completely innocent remarks. Her personality had always been strong, a mirror of the image of the independent woman McIntosh had built within his mind. Utterly complete, requiring nothing from the world aside from a little fun sometimes. Most men would usually ignore it, call a brief shift in behavior trifling, unable to see the bigger picture. Drake, even though he was probably one of the slowest people ever to realize moves made onto him, had the privileged sight any sharpshooter craved. Details were blatant happenings to him, and so her frown didn't go over his head at all.

It never would.

Ah, what did you say this time, Drake? All those arrows are making you tactless. He sighed, sipping from his cup. It felt different from a glass cup, perhaps she didn't have money for proper glass, or maybe she thought herself clumsy regardless of the fact she shot blind without any trouble. "Blue is a nice color. It's very calm, some say it means hope, but I don't know about that. I think it's more about freedom, it's the color of the sky, after all." Folding his arms, a knot seemed to have formed on his throat. "Yeah, blue is pretty just like your eyes." Drake, you seriously need classes to cheer others up. "My favorite color is purple, but I guess you know that much." Nice, your expertise is showing again. Just brilliant. "Uh, you still didn't answer my other question, though. When she's not sightseeing or spending time with questionable companies, who exactly is Sitri? I think I'd like to know."

illirica

Post by illirica » Tue May 29, 2018 1:59 am

Apparently he thought she ought to know he liked purple. She'd had no idea. She didn't mind losing shapes, so much. She could feel shapes in the air, hear them in the way sound moved around them. Color was different, though. You couldn't taste color, or touch it. It was something so simple, so intrinsic... and it was leaving her.

Or she was leaving it. She'd had a chance to be something different. She'd just... chosen otherwise. I will try to be good. It wasn't easy, though. And she'd given up a lot of things in trying, that she would have like to keep. "Who is Sitri?" he'd asked her. Sometimes, she wondered herself.

"Sitri is... complicated," she answered, eventually, with a hint of a smile, "Sitri is... not the person she doesn't want to be. That's not quite the same as being the person she wants to be, but some days it's enough." She got out of her chair, with that same diminished smile, walking over in front of his, kneeling down. "Sitri has too much of a past, but she's still trying to make a future. It won't be the one she wants, but she hopes it will be a good one." She reached out, tracing her hand over his cheek, his jawline, then raising herself close enough to press a kiss over his lips. Soft, slow, melancholy. "She can hear your heartbeat and feel your anticipation and feel the way the air splits in the path of your arrow. She could be a monster. Sometimes she is. She tries to be good."

She released him, and sat back. Softly, soft enough that she could make the words come out. "I don't remember what purple is."

drake wrote: