The Watch: Jingo

Rebellious_Soul

Re: The Watch: Jingo

Post by Rebellious_Soul » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Darryl watched the assassin walk up to Vimes and about midway through there conversation, he moved forward to stand by his fellow watchmen. The command this lady was giving would never be taken in his group. The watch in Darryl's company would die before they arrested innocents, and so would Darryl. He stared at the assassin defiantly until she finally stormed off, and then looked over at Char and the others.
"I'll meet you guys there tomorrow." Darryl said. He waved a goodbye to everyone and made his way back to the Inn he had rented for the night.
So pull me close, as we dance around Hellfire... We're just Ghosts anyway...

Trooper FN-86
Member+

Post by Trooper FN-86 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Having no other home than the guard house but not needing any sleep Vincent gathered his few belongings and lead his chest towards Pseudopolis yard. Redwood seemed confused by the sudden move, but happy enough to follow his boney master into the streets for the night. Not wanting to draw too much attention to himself the skeleton didn't camp out in front of the yard, but got close enough to be the first to arrive in the morning.

As he waited for the morning to come Vincent thought long and hard about what was happening and what he should do. Before he was with the watch he was a soldier, and whether or not the assassination was staged the city needed soldiers to fight for it. But then he remembered Valerie. She joined the watch, and in a similar situation fought for what was right. He could only assume she thought of him as she died for it...how could he not do the same?

With his mind made up Vincent waited for the morning light, and when it finally came made his way to meet the others.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck

Rebellious_Soul

Post by Rebellious_Soul » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:11 am

Darryl woke the next morning and gathered his things and his chest. He soon headed out the door with Terrance and Charlie at his heels. On the way to the yard he thought long and hard about his options. He could only see one real option that helped his fellow watch and the city's residents.

He soon arrived at Pseudopolis and found Vincent standing with his own chest.
"Good morning. " he said in greeting.

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Char slept in his desk at Pseudopolis Yard that night, with Baldrick sleeping in his pipe, as morning dawned, they both got ready for their morning meeting, Char opened the door to see Vincent and Darryl,
“Get in you two, Commander will be here later, I’ll get some morning coffee for you Darryl.”
Said Char, despite his recent abrasive attitude, he still considered it good manners to prepare morning coffee.

A good night’s sleep was something Vimes did not have, he spent the night poring over books of law to get him to do something, but with no success, as he looked despondent, his wife came in with a breakfast consisting of bacon, lots of it, and egg, lots of it, Sam felt his arteries scream.
“Rough night dear?”
“What can I do Sybil? I refused to serve those toff’s and now I’m out of a job, and so are the Coppers under my command.”
Said Vimes.
“You know, you’re a noble now dear, you could raise them as a Regiment.”
Vimes eyes went wide.
“Sybil, I love you! I need to get this news to the rest!”
“But what about breakfast darling?”
“That can wait!”
With that, Vimes dashed off to Pseudopolis yard...

At Pseudopolis yard, a lot of the Watchmen weren’t sure what to do now that they were out of a job.
“What would you do now sir?”
Baldrick asked Char.
“I could always take up Assassin’s Guild Contracts, they pay very handsomely, but at the end of the day, it makes you feel miserable.”
Said Char.
“I would go Grow turnips sir.”
“No.”
“Yes I would sir, its been my dream to raise turnips, and once I make millions, I can but all the turnips I could ever want.”
“Of course you would Baldrick.”
“Not that many people are aware of it, but there is an entire subculture concerning turnips.”
“Whatever it is Baldrick, I don’t want to know.”
“Fair enough sir.
Last edited by Archer_Algren on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rebellious_Soul

Post by Rebellious_Soul » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:47 pm

"Thank you, I would appreciate some coffee." Darryl responded, still a bit sleepy. He walked inside as Char had asked of him and waited patiently for the Commander to arrive. He was still iffy about his choice, but it didn't matter. He joined the Watch to help people, and whether he was in the Watch or not, he was going to stick to that moral. He knew what was right and wrong and he couldn't stand idly by and allow wrong to be done.

Trooper FN-86
Member+

Post by Trooper FN-86 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:50 pm

"None for me thanks...Goes right through me."

Vincent joked as he walked into the building, fallowed closely by his chest. Quickly taking a seat the skeleton patiently awaited the arrival of Vimes to figure out the next step. As he waited he took a whetstone from redwood and began sharpening his blade. Though he hoped he would not need a sharpened blade eventually war may come to Ankh-Morpork and whether or not they want to they may have to fight to defend the populace. He would rather be prepared than left wanting.

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:07 am

As the Watch were contemplating their next move, Sam burst in through the door.
“Meeting. Now.”

*Pseudopolis yard conference hall*
Sam stood in a podium while the rest of the Watchmen sat,
“Now as you all know, we all got fired.” Said Sam. “However, I was told, that since I am nobility, I can raise my own regiment, and now, I decided to recruit you all into it so we can stop this war before it gets worse.”
Said Vimes, the Watch sounded pleased.
“Anybody who can play a drum, follow me!”

*outside the winter palace*
There was a crowd in the street. In the center there rose the bulk of Constable Dorfl, and a key thing about the golem was that if he was banging a drum then no one was going to ask him to stop. No one except possibly Lord Rust, who strode up and snatched the drumsticks out of his hands.
“Yerss, it are species of your choice’s life in der First of Foot!” shouted Sergeant Detritus, unaware of the events going on behind him. “You learnin’ a trade! You learnin’ self-respek! Also you get spiffy uniform plus all der boots you can eat—here, dat’s my banner!”
“What’s the meaning of this?” said Rust, flinging the Regimental homemade banner on to the ground. “Vimes can’t do this!”
A figure detached itself from the wall, where it had been watching the show.
“You know, I rather think I can,” said Vimes. He handed Rust a piece of paper. “It’s all here, my lord. With references citing the highest authorities, in case you are in any doubt.”
“Citing the—?”
“On the role of a knight, my lord. In fact the duties of a knight, funnily enough. A lot of it is pretty damn stupid stuff, riding around the place on one of those bloody great horses with curtains round it and so on, but one of them says in time of need a knight has to raise and maintain—you’ll laugh when I tell you this—a body of armed soldiers! No one could have been more surprised than me, I don’t mind telling you! Seems there’s nothing for it but I have to go out and get some chaps together. Of course, most of the Watch have joined, well, you know how it is, disciplined lads, anxious to do their bit, so that saved me a bit of effort. Except for Nobby Nobbs, ’cos he says if he leaves it till Thursday he’s going to have enough white feathers for a mattress.”
Rust’s expression would have preserved meat for a year.
“This is a nonsense,” he said. “And you, Vimes, certainly are no knight. Only a king can make—”
“There’s a good few lordships in this city created by the Patricians,” said Vimes. “Your friend Lord Downey, for one. You were saying?”
“Then if you persist in playing games I will say that before a knight is created he must spend a night’s vigil watching his armor—”
“Practically every night of my life,” said Vimes. “A man doesn’t keep an eye on his armor round here, that man’s got no armor in the morning.”
“In prayer,” said Rust sharply.
“That’s me,” said Vimes. “Not a night has gone by without me thinking, ‘Ye gods, I hope I get through this alive.’”
“—and he must have proved himself on the field of combat. Against other trained men, Vimes. Not vermin and thugs.”
Vimes started to undo the strap of his helmet.
“Well, this isn’t the best of moments, my lord, but if someone’ll hold your coat I can spare you five minutes…”
In Vimes’s eyes Rust recognized the fiery gleam of burning boats.
“I know what you’re doing, Vimes, and I am not going to rise to it,” he said, taking a step back. “In any case, you have had no formal training in arms.”
“That’s true,” said Vimes. “You’ve got me there, right enough. No one ever trained me in arms. I was lucky there.” He leaned closer and lowered his voice so that the watching crowd wouldn’t hear. “Y’see, I know what ‘training in arms’ means, Ronald. There hasn’t been a real war in ages. So it’s all prancing around wearing padded waistcoats and waving swords with knobs on the end so no one’ll really get hurt, isn’t it? But down in the Shades no one’s had any training in arms either. Wouldn’t know an épée from a sabre. No, what they’re good at is a broken bottle in one hand and a length of four-by-two in the other and when you face ’em, Ronnie, you know you aren’t going off for a laugh and a jolly drink afterward, ’cos they want you dead. They want to kill you, you see, Ron? And by the time you’ve swung your nice shiny broadsword they’ve carved their name and address on your stomach. And that’s where I got my training in arms. Well…fists and knees and teeth and elbows, mostly.”
“You, sir, are no gentleman,” said Rust.
“I knew there was something about me that I liked.”
“Can you not even see that you can’t enroll…dwarfs and trolls in an Ankh-Morpork regiment?”
“It just says ‘armed soldiers,’ and dwarfs come with their own axes. A great saving. Besides, if you’ve ever seen them really fight, then you must’ve been on the same side.”
“Vimes—”
“It’s Sir Samuel, my lord.”
Rust seemed to think for a moment.
“Very well, then,” he said. “Then you and your…regiment come under my command—”
“Strangely, no,” said Vimes swiftly. “Under the command of the King or his duly appointed representative, it says in Scavone’s Chivalric Law and Usage. And, of course, there has been no duly appointed representative ever since some complete bastard cut off the last king’s head. Oh, assorted bods appeared to have been ruling the city, but according to the chivalric tradition—”
Rust stopped to think again. He had the look of a lawnmower just after the grass has organized a workers’ collective. There was a definite suggestion that, deep inside, he knew this was not really happening. It could not be happening because this sort of thing did not happen. Any contradictory evidence could be safely ignored. However, it might be necessary to find some motions to go through.
“I think you’ll find that, legally, your position—” he began, and his eyes bulged for a moment as Vimes interrupted him cheerfully.
“Oh, there might be a few problems, I grant you. But if you ask Mr. Slant he’ll say ‘This is a very interesting case,’ which as you know is lawyer-talk for ‘One thousand dollars a day plus expenses and it’ll take months.’ So I’ll leave you to get on with it, shall I? Got such a lot of things to do, you know. I think the swatches for the new uniforms should be in my office about now, it’s so important to look right on the battlefield, isn’t it?”
Rust gave Vimes another look, and then strode away.
Detritus stamped to attention beside Vimes and his salute clanged smartly off his helmet.
“What we doin’ now, sir?”
“We can pack up now, I think. All the lads have joined up?”
“Yessir!”

*Samuel Vimes First of Foot Regimental camp*
Sam waited in his tent for somebody to show up, and he did,
“You called Sir?”
“Yes Char, I need you for an important mission, you and three other Watchmen.”
Char did not like where this was going.
“I need somebody to keep an eye on the main army, and I need a small team to do it.” Said Vimes as he stood up “So I need you, and three others to go there, blend in, I need you all to infiltrate Lord Melchett’s light infantry.”

Char was later on sitting in his tent, packing his things, Baldrick entered his tent.
“You wished to see me sir?”
“Yea Baldrick, could you kindly fetch Vincent Marrow the skeleton and Darryl the Werewolf? I need them to come with me, also, pack your bags, you’re coming with me.”
“Hooray!”
Said Baldrick as he ran off.
“I’m going to regret agreeing to this....”
Muttered Char.

Rebellious_Soul

Post by Rebellious_Soul » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Darryl was sitting on a log after the meeting, sharpening his sword and polishing his armor. His chest was laying down beside Charlie, the two of them dozing comfortably in the afternoon sun. By this point Darryl had made up his mind without a shadow of a doubt, and he knew what he was going to do. He just needed to wait until the Commander was finished with his rendezvous in the city. Soon he was satisfied with the edge on his sword and, poking Terrance awake he asked, "Terrance, can I have my polishing rag please?" The chest bounced happily and spit out the small orange towel, before circling again and plopping onto the dirt. Darryl chuckled a bit, and rubbed the scratches and scars out of his armor before polishing his sword.

Trooper FN-86
Member+

Post by Trooper FN-86 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Vincent was making the rounds around the regiments camp grounds. Having nothing better to do he had volunteered to take a turn on watch. Begrudgingly following him was Redwood, who wanted to be close to his master but had grown a little too use to spending his evenings inactive in the watch house. Watching the chest occasionally rest and then sprint after him made Vincent chuckle. A little while later Vincent stopped and redwood plopped on front of him. The skeleton kneeled down and patted his lid.

"It's alright Redwood. We'll be done soon. Though it's clear I need to take you on more of these outings."

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:52 am

Baldrick approached Vincent and gave a salute,
“Sergeant Aznavour wishes to see you sir, he said to pack your bags and meet him at the entrance sir.”
Said Baldrick, then he left.

Baldrick approached Darryl, seemingly exhaused, but coherently said;
“Sergeant Aznavour wishes to see you sir, he said to pack your bags and meet him at the entrance sir.”

Char was sitting by the entrance with his rucksack, nothing but his black clothes and armor on his person, as well as his zweihander, he had hoped Baldrick went off to cell the Watchmen he needed for the mission and not go off to find rats to eat, Char hopes they can infiltrate Melchett’s light infantry, its not like they’ll turn down an assassin, a werewolf in Human form, a skeleton, and whatever Baldrick is.