[F] The immortal Four

Orion_Genesis99

[F] The immortal Four

Post by Orion_Genesis99 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:10 am

It was late evening on a midsummer's day when Jonathan Whitaker closed up the forge and put his tools away. His day had consisted of the occasional farmer trading gold for a new tool, and a traveler had even paid for a fair amount t of gold for a shortsword. He smiled as he took off his apron and folded it, placing it in the tool cabinet before locking it and walking away.

The forge itself was a simple addon to his home. It featured an anvil, which rested upon a tree stump, and the smelter and fire pit, whose stone chimney rose a few feet above the roof, which rested just a few inches above John's head. The tool cabinet stood next to the front door of his home, a small keylock keeping it closed.

He stepped onto the path that led to the main road. The path was quite narrow, but it was only a short walk before he reached the main road, and the center of the village. The main road itself was quite wide, though, as all the roads were in this village, it was dirt that was stamped down from many years of use. A few villagers walked the road here and there. Some were headed to their homes, others wandering to the inn.

Jonathan smiled when he saw the inn. It was the largest building in the village. It was a wooden two story building, with a stable next door to house the horses of the travelers that passed through. A stone chimney rose from the left side of the peaked roof, and thick black smoke plumed from it.

He sighed as he walked toward the door, climbing the steps to the porch and pushing the door open. The smell of slow-cook pork and greens washed over him as he entered a large, well lit room. There were twelve tables, with four chairs at each table, and a fireplace standing in the middle of the far wall. A bar sat adjacent with the door, with seven tall stools in front of it. John made his way to the far stool and sat, digging in his coin purse and producing a gold coin, which he sat on the bar in front of him. "A mug of ale for a hardworking gentleman," his deep voice bellowed.

He looked around, gathering the small grounds of men and women alike who talked over ale and food. He smiled to himself. All the hours of work always brought him here, and here, he felt at home.
thy art shall perish

Ryn

Re: [F] The immortal Four

Post by Ryn » Sun May 28, 2017 1:02 pm

“Disobedient girl!! My eyes have lost their malignant power through the years, but my hands are still capable. Get me the metal brush handles from the blacksmith!” exclaimed the blind painter Rob. “It is already dark, I’ll take them from him tomorrow at dawn,” said Myra exasperated. “The sun hasn’t set yet! Go fast, I want to use them, NOW!” concluded Rob. I do all of your paintings, she wanted to say. Myra walked towards the door, still soiled with paint from the day. As for Rob who was on the verge of helplessness, she left him in his delusional chorus of harsh, discordant protests.

The night was wearing on. Even though the lamp’s glass was filthy with dust, the light emanating from it gave enough shine. John will obviously be at the Inn’s at this pointing time, she thought. Myra shouldn’t even be considering this option, for she would never set foot there and the brushes could wait till morning. She gazed at the transparent clouds in the limitless sky and went beyond the market place. Old Rob, who was already impatient and sour, began throwing unbearable tantrums. She needed some herbs to knock him out for a couple of hours. Myra preferred him asleep which was a perpetual undercurrent of various weird sounds over his lunatic temper. But Helen would never agree. Her apprentice would, at least she hoped. The only problem was that nightfall wasn’t a good time for a girl to sneak into someone’s property.

When she reached Eloa's cottage, Myra quietly slipped into her porch until she was next to the door. Standing there, she breathed slowly letting cool air flow inside her lungs before tapping gently on it.

QuiteContrary

Post by QuiteContrary » Sun May 28, 2017 11:28 pm

For Eloa, the day had been a long one. As Helen got older Eloa started to take on more and more work. Recently, it seemed that Eloa was handling everything. Her day had consisted of checking up on 3 pregnant women, 2 young boys who had fallen from their roofs, and soon she would be bringing a mix of herbs to the innkeeper for his wife's feet. Admittedly, Eloa thought it was a little late to be delivering anything, but the inkeeper insisted she deliver them to him after sunfall: to keep it from his wife. Just earlier he had stopped Eloa to explain just how much he loved his wife, but not her feet, which is why he absolutely needed the herbs as soon as possible, but without arousing her suspension wanted them delivered after she went to bed. Eloa agreed, but not without an eyeroll.

The woman grabbed her wool shawl, made by her mother, and drapped it upon her head and shoulders before heading towards the door. As Eloa was putting on her soft, brown shoes, a light tapping caught her ear. "Who is it?" Her voice rung with self confidence and strength, but also seemed to have a kind of fragile femininity. When a reply came from the other side, Eloa opened the door and greeted Myra with a smile.

"Myra! To what do I owe the pleasure?" With a curious twinkle to her eye, Eloa stepped aside allowing Myra to enter her surprisingly organized home. As Myra walked past, Eloa noticed the paint that decorated the woman's clothes and face. It made sense, she was the painter's apprentice after all. Eloa couldn't help but wonder, however, just what she needed with the Midwife's apprentice. "Is Old Rob alright?" He was quite an old man, after all. "I need to bring some herbs to the inkeeper," Eloa explained as she briefly held up the mid-sized satchel in her left arm. "but if it's an emergency I can take a look at him first."
Last edited by QuiteContrary on Mon May 29, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
America is not a planet - Marco Rubio

FallOfPrometheus

Post by FallOfPrometheus » Mon May 29, 2017 5:56 am

Day after day Akennas dreams became the same.
She would awake in a sweat, ridden with a tremble.
As she wake Akenna would lie still and roll her head to the side.
She releases an exhale of relief for her safety.
Her quilt would always be uncomfortably wrapped around her toes.
This consistently gave her a quick chuckle.
Her cottage stood still in the night.
Yet on the outside chirped of crickets singing lullabies.
Akenna rose from her evening rest and crawled out of her bed for another night shift at the inn.

As she opened the wooden door , the wind gave her a hand enforcing an agressive gust.
Eekkk! She squealed.
She slammed the door shut behind her.
A satin royal blue scarf blew back behind her as she began to transcend down her front steps.
She wore a jade green knitted sweater that hugged her nicely and cut off right at her petite hips.
Her black boots with gold buckles trudged through the wooded path to lead her correctly.
This climate gave her bright red hair even more character than usual.
The dark cryptic scenery was perfectly in Akennas nature and appealed to her more than ever.

Yet she has been cursed with gooseflesh this gloomy nightfall.
This dream or maybe even nightmare will not seem to disappear.
She couldn't remember too much besides a bright light canceling out just about all existence in her sight.
Yet the feeling this dream gave her has been imprinted into her soul.
A feeling as if something bigger is approaching into her life.

A night like this truly makes a girl wish for family.
Tonight akenna will settle for drunk mates at the bar Inn.

As akenna approached the front steps she looked left and noticed the stable as she does every time.
She snickered a bit to herself.
" Oh what the hell " She shrugged.
It could almost be called a ritual for how often Akenna visited the stables before work.
She always approcheapproches lightly but never stealthily for she would never be sneaky enough to startle.
The horses loved Akenna and would welcome her.
She had about thirty minutes to spare so she decided to use her time wisely and enjoy the company of the lovely creatures.
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon that is dreaming

Orion_Genesis99

Post by Orion_Genesis99 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:39 am

Jonathan sipped from his ale as he dwelled upon his thoughts. It was quieter than most nights. Sure, there was quite a crowd, but for John, there was no one to talk to. It seemed strange not talking to anyone. He sighed as he drank, and for some strange reason, his thoughts began to dwell upon the blind painter and his assistant. He chuckled to himself. "I wouldn't want to be that girl if I were given all the gold in the world," he muttered to himself.

As he laughed to himself, he remembered something. He shook his head, trying to remember where he had placed the metal brush handles the girl had requested for Rob a few days ago. The tool cabinet? No, there was barely enough room for his tools in the cabinet there were supposed to go in. Oh yes, inside the house on the dining table. He would have to remember to give those to her.

He finished what was left of the ale in the mug and placed another gold piece on the counter. A few moments went by before the coin dissappeared and a full mug of ale sat in front of him. He smiled as he took a sip from the the new mug, and his thoughts drifted to the midwife. He chuckled again, remembering her apprentice. "Come to think of it, I wouldn't be her either. No... The midwife is too naggy." he muttered, " No, if anything, I would be a bartender. Free ale after every shift."

He smiled at the thought, but then he remembered the red-haired woman that ran the bar most nights. He shuddered, "I suppose that wouldn't be a good idea after all. I would rather be beaten by the blind painter."
thy art shall perish

Ryn

Post by Ryn » Mon May 29, 2017 10:37 am

Myra was greeted with a voice as warm as milk as she entered Eloa’s house. She had the feeling that her cheeks had taken the color of the slight heat from the bricks.

At the sight of the fire which was no more that dull embers by the chimney and her clothes, Myra could tell that the apprentice must have had a new call of duty. Miraculously sensing some questions building inside of her, the girl rapidly showed her the pouch of herbs. It shouldn't have been a surprise as she was always rushing around. “Right, for his wife who has ugly feet, I heard some rumors going around,” said Myra with a mild grin. Eloa’s place was aesthetically pleasing with the description of her own medic’s lifestyle with neatly stacked books and stuffs only she could comprehend. Myra’s, on the other hand, had a messy attic with no room for improvement since it was just a bed size considering the magnitude of Rob’s house. She tucked her hair behind and said, “He is gone crazy senile. Could you give me a little something which has no scent for calming his nerves? One time I tried giving him some ale, like John advised, but Rob knew as soon as he sniffed the cup.” She was about to tell her that Akenna was the one who hooked her up with the liquor but decided against it.

In a way, Myra knew that Eloa would not mind giving the old man a little peaceful sleep. As she waited for her, the latter could hear even and familiar muffled roar of horses riding down the lane. The village they lived in was a key stop for many travelers. By now, Myra was used to this sound.

FallOfPrometheus

Post by FallOfPrometheus » Mon May 29, 2017 8:00 pm

After a satisfying session with her fellow horses , she took a deep breath for a long night ahead.
As she ascended the steps once again , a hand flew through her wild red hair and she shook it back into place.
The door never ceased to creek at they were entered.

Akenna released a crooked smile to all the cheerful welcomings she acquired.
" Hey old man" She greeted a regular who always accompanied the the last bar stool on the left.
She held tightly onto her satchel that draped across her body.
All the eyes of the night on her never became familiar for her.

Akenna rustled through the swinging gate to behind the bar.
She stuffed her bag into a cubby at her feet.
As she arose, Akenna met eyes with Jason her fellow barkeep.
"Good evening troublemaker. How's it been thus night ?"
She formed her hands to her hips with a wink.
She'd been working with him for years so being a bit more comfortable wasn't too challenging.
He gave a gruff chuckle and grabbed her around the shoulders.
"Just getting started little miss" He bellowed.

Akenna began to tend to all the guests as usual.
Then she noticed good old Johnathan Whitaker in his consistent spot.
She decided to approach him.

"Bout time for another , aye?" She suggested.
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon that is dreaming

QuiteContrary

Post by QuiteContrary » Mon May 29, 2017 10:22 pm

"A sleep aid, hmm?" Eloa went to the far wall, placing her satchel of herbs atop the fireplace mantle as she did. The far wall was covered with wooden shelf: of course, with all the jars, bags, bottles, and bundled herbs one could hardly see the brown of the wood. Still, everything was labelled and organized. Eloa furrowed her brow and stuck her tongue out of the corner of her mouth just a bit as she sniffed and felt herbs from all over the wall. A few she placed on a table before going into what would be considered a kitchen. After a moment or two of searching, indicated by the clinks of metal pans or glass containers, Eloa emerged with jar. As she placed the herbs and a few nuts into the jar, which she then placed into a russet satchel.

"Here. Boil this into his soup, or let him drink it alone, but give it to him at least an hour before bedtime." Eloa handed Myra the satchel. "It's slow acting, so it won't frighten the poor old man." Eloa gave the younger woman's shoulder a pat before grabbing her own sack from the mantle and heading towards the door. She blew out a few candles, dimming the room but also keeping a soft, warm glow.

Eloa pried open the door as a gust of wind blew past, pushing her shawl off her head and blowing her light colored hair about her shoulders. It almost seemed like a storm was brewing, but there hadn't been any indication in the sky the day before. "Oh my.." Pulling her shawl tighter around her shoulders, Eloa let Myra exit before she exited herself and tightly closed the door. After taking a deep breath she spoke against the wind. "Would you like me to walk you back? It's pretty late." Eloa didn't really get the chance to spend much time with anyone outside of work and, if she was being honest, she missed being social. Despite her semi tough exterior, Eloa was a very social creature, although she would never admit it: but her job kept her busy.
America is not a planet - Marco Rubio

Orion_Genesis99

Post by Orion_Genesis99 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Jonathan looked into the second mug, sighing when he saw it was almost empty, "They never do last do they," he grumbled to himself, adjusting himself on the stool. He was about to dig into his coin purse once more when he heard a familiar voice, and a smile touched his lips. "There never is a day of rest for you, is there, Akenna?"

He chuckled, pulling two coins out. " I suppose I couldn't convince The other fellow to let you have a mug with me, could I?"

He smiled at her. He came in every night after working at the forge, but if there was one person he enjoyed seeing at the inn, it would have to be her. She didn't sugarcoat things, and what little conversation she offered was engaging, and he enjoyed it. He looked to Jason, still smiling under his thick beard, "How about it Jason? She might need it to get through the night."
thy art shall perish

Ryn

Post by Ryn » Tue May 30, 2017 8:34 am

Watching Eloa work was astonishing. In the flickering candles’ light, her eyes gleamed strangely while she scanned through potions and oils. Her fingers were extraordinarily light and skillful as she picked pinches of herbs and swiftly packed the remedy. Myra was quite unable to put a name on the apprentice’s expression but then she knew. It was a sense of pride for having the knowledge of cure; a gift. Myra looked put out for a moment as she heard “an hour before bedtime”. Well, I am already in debt of shelter, I could leave an hour of patience to the old man, she thought. With the satchel in her hand, she thanked Eloa before leaving few coins by the side table and they both quickly left the cottage.

“There is only one way to go but the road would seem less of a burden,” replied Myra as she accepted her kindness. It occurred to her, that friends were a currency in the world she was now in. No matter how Old Rob was, Myra could say he was a friend despite being the opposite of what the meaning should be. Eloa who had strength of character was a good definition of the word and fell into the category of people who she aspired to be, someday. The off season icy breeze blessed the small stream nearby the older woman’s dwelling with unusual coolness. Myra stretched her hands towards it and sprinkled her face to wash off the already thickened smears of paint until residuals remained.

“The view behind your cottage is great, the stretching horizon of shallow green valley with its up and down structures remind me of the sea, have you ever been?”, she asked as the girls walked down the dusty winding road until they arrived outside the Inn.