[Req][F] Beyond Light

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
TheDarkOne

[Req][F] Beyond Light

Post by TheDarkOne » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Backstory
Peace and prosperity is always built first upon a foundation of blood. In past ages, the world was divided into warrior states and tribes, each warlord thirsting for power and wealth, waging war with no relent. It was only after the birth of the first Magii that stability began to take root. Known only as The First Lord and rumoured to have descended from the heavens, the man unleashed magic upon his foes, uniting the supercontinent of Salria under one banner. Building upon his victory, the Lord issued sweeping reforms across the land, setting up governments, cities and roads before his death, but his greatest gift, and greatest curse, was the creation of Sainedar, the blue moon. Using all magic he possessed, he willed this great cosmic entity to existence, and it is said that the light of the moon pierces the world and imbues it with magic. After his death, more Magii were born, never as powerful as the Lord himself but eventually the people of the world came to worship Sainedar as a god gifting them the blessing of magic. This became a period of creation, culture and advancement. Magical beings and creatures began to inhabit the world, while the Magi used their powers to increase prosperity across the realm and create grand libraries of knowledge and power. Some races, immune to Sainedar's light, grew jealous and through this envy, were driven to create impressive works to surpass magic. The Dwarves in particular, completely inert to the blessing, crafted fine weapons and armour, great halls of stone and iron and even managed to capture the light into a 'rune', either a stone to allow the one use casting of a spell or skilled artisans forged them into their armour and weapons, imbuing them with frightful power, and so earned the admiration of the Magii. But not all good things last.

For the light of Sainedar pierced not only the land but out far into the void, and attracted the attention of another realm. Tyran-dine, realm of the forsaken and forlorn, was locked in an eternal, frozen twilight until Sainedar appeared and bathed the denizens in a warm, blue glow. Sensing the powerful life magic, but unable to access it, the cryomancers began work at merging the realms, creating a bridgeway between theirs at and of Salria. And they succeeded. The realms crashed together, entire land masses falling from the sky and rising from the oceans. The world was devastated, the kings scrambling to figure out what was happening when the Tyran-dyans began their invasion. Their terrible frost killed off the land, and their armies of the Forsaken and demons swept over in the hope of conquering their new home. This time another hero arouse from the uncertainty, Darrius the Magnificent. A Magi of incredible power and will, helped to ally the remaining realms and fought the Forsaken, winning many victories before the true enemy revealed himself. Dreadlord Nagsil, the leader of the Tyran-dyans, fought against Darrius at the Battle of the Highwall, named after the mountain peaks formed either side of the valley when the two realms collided. It was here Darrius noticed that his magic waned against the Dreadlord, and that they were all in great peril. After he escaped and his army routed back to the last fortress left to them, Darrius made a difficult decision. Gathering all the Magii, he instructed his allies to hold off the Forsaken while they held conclave in the Tower of the Stars, where a ritual began. Along with his fellows, Darrius sacrificed himself and all of his fellow Magii, causing a beam of light to pierce the sky and strike Sainedar. The world shook as Sainedar restored the old order, forging the old barriers and expelling the Forsaken to the Wasted North, a barren land of snow which stretched on for miles, separated by impassible mountain ranges. The sacrifice of the Magii saved the world, at a terrible cost. The light of Sainedar waned, and no new beings of magic were born. Famine and plague swept the land, nearly toppling the survivors to their knees. No longer was the world united, as the realm collide has shattered the world, creating islands and separating the super continent into 6, where wars began to break out. In the end, the world was divided in more ways than one.

Yet eventually, easy peace was made between the great kingdoms, republics and empires that rose in the aftermath of the war, and prosperity began to grow again. Science and technology began to expand, with the Dwarves in their Under-Empire developing gunpowder and sharing it with those above, for a fee of course. Yet disturbing rumours slowly spread across the continents, that of Sainedar's slowly fading light and that the Northlings, those nearest the Frozen Wastes, had seen great flashes of light over the mountains.

[bCurrent Story][/b]
In response to the potential breakdown of the barrier between the world and New Tyran-dine, another grand conclave has been called by the Northlings to prepare for if it should happen, and to search for a way to strengthen Sainedar once again. Due to their neutral nature, their land serves as an appropriate meeting place, and the open invitation to all scholars, knights and royalty began to spread throughout the world to draw in the young and old, great and poor. So in the high mountains of World's End, within Fort Forhold, they gathered to discuss the fate of the world, unaware of how close the bitter cold truly was.

Whatever your reason for attending the conclave, wether you are a knight accompanying his lord, a king to meet with his peers or a young student or old scholar come to study the barrier, it will ultimately be for naught. For you are awoken one night to screams and bloodshed as the fort comes under attack from unseen assailants. Clad in pale blue armour coated in a thin layer of frost, with masks of eyeless skulls, they stormed the walls and took the conclave unaware, cutting down kings and peasants alike.

Perhaps it is fate when you are trapped in the old throne room with several others. Perhaps it is fate when the floor gives way due to an earthquake. But as you explore the subterranean world that lay hidden under the frozen fort for a way out, hounded by adversaries, your group instead stumbles upon something remarkable. The Last Magi, encased in stone and hidden away, resting upon a throne as he had been for over three thousand years.

And from here begins a tale of hope and despair, filled with love, betrayal and intrigue. A tale that would span all the continents of the land, uniting broken lands and rallying the people against the Forsaken and their Dreadlord. However it would be best to start our story from where it begins...the attack on Fort Forhold.

(Hello to who may be reading. This particular RP will be heavily story driven with breaks of casual thrown in. When it is casual, you are welcome to post as much and often as you want to help expand your character and associate with the others, but when requested for the story, I would much prefer if things take a slower pace to allow me to set out story events and allow others to respond who aren't on as often. I.e me. I'll also be relying on you to make this RP what it is, and I would appreciate help and ideas thrown my way. As I reveal more parts of the story, you may have to update your character sheet, but I'll keep that a surprise for now.)

Character Sheet
Name:
Race:
Personality:
Bio:

QuiteContrary

Re: [F] Beyond Light

Post by QuiteContrary » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:40 pm

I am very much interested in this! Do we post our cs here for initial acceptence, or will there be a cs thread?
America is not a planet - Marco Rubio

TheDarkOne

Post by TheDarkOne » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:46 pm

You may post your C.S here and when the R.P begins I will simple ask you move it over to character storage.

I would also like to mention I have left things intentionally vague for a reason. You are allowed total creative liberty. If you wish to create a nation and be it's king, or create the lore for a continent, you may do so. If no one wishes to undertake something as large as lore making however, I of course have things prepared.

QuiteContrary

Post by QuiteContrary » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Do we get creative freedom for races as well? Or do you want more fantasy traditional races?

TheDarkOne

Post by TheDarkOne » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Creative freedom for races as well, although I would prefer nothing completely outlandish. Any races you create I would appreciate you add some backstory to them, their home/nation and something about their culture.

Just be aware that at the start of the RP, all magic is gone from the world in essence, so they cannot be one of the races created by Sainedar unless mutated by its light.

QuiteContrary

Post by QuiteContrary » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Are there still magical relics throughout the world?

I have an idea for a cecaelian race (octopus/human hybrid) that can walk on land with the help of an ancient relic that's power fades as it's used.

It's totally cool if that's not allowed! I figured I'd ask before I work the history and culture out.

TheDarkOne

Post by TheDarkOne » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:39 pm

The only real magic relics I has envisioned at the moment would be those of the Dwarves, their runeic weapons and armour.

But your race sounds interesting. Create a relic that allows this, but make it so that the relic is nearing the end of its lifespan if you would please. Your race can be created by Sainedar if you wish, but that it was spared Darrius' spell due to how deep their home is.

QuiteContrary

Post by QuiteContrary » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:59 pm

You got it! I'm thinking it will be of dwarven make given to the cecaelian's in exchange for something, I'm not entirely sure yet. I'll work on a cs and hopefully have it up tonight. If not, within a few days depending on how busy I am.

Do you have a preference for appearance? Drawn, anime, or real? I'll have a description as well, just figured I'd ask in case I find something I like.

TheDarkOne

Post by TheDarkOne » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Sorry, busy day for me.

I don't mind whatever picture you may choose to upload, whatever best shows off your character!

QuiteContrary

Post by QuiteContrary » Mon May 01, 2017 2:53 am

Name: Genoveva Dionda

Race: Cecaelian

Appearance: Cecaelians come in all shapes and colors. Most are extremely pale with contrasting black tentacles. However, being of the royal family, Genoveva's coloring is different. She's a swarthy young woman, her tenticals blend with her skin and is spotted with white spots encircled by a soft blue. When wearing the relic bestowed upon her people by the Dwarves, Genoveva stands at a regal 5'8". While her tenticals come togother to form 2 legs, Genoveva still sports her spots. Her hair is a gorgeous chocolate brown usually worn loose. Genoveva was graced with noticeable facial features: a large pair of brown eyes, a distinct nose, and strong jaw. Her spots frame the outside of her face going from one eye, over her forehead, and to the outer edge of the other.

Personality: Genoveva is an extremely strong willed, but polite young woman. She rarely accepts failure and pushes herself constantly to do and be better. A gracious ruler, taught by her late father, Genoveva puts her people first always. A mysterious woman, Genoveva never speaks in depth of her people nor their whereabouts for fear of being hunted by those who thought Cecaelia didn't exist. She is a very wary creature, never really letting her guard down. However, when accompanied by friends or family Genoveva becomes vibrant and full of life.

Cecaelia Legend: Nobody knows just how the Cecaelian came to be. Cecaelian legend speaks of how the Ocean yearned for Sainedar so much so that when She rose from the sky every night He tried with all His might to touch Her. Sainedar, moved by His love and devotation, placed a kiss upon the head of an octopus so that He could remember Her, always. This kiss held a part of Sainedar's spirit and transformed the octopus into the very first Cecaelia. Because of the love they had for their creation, Sainedar gave them the ability to use magic (thus allowing future names like sea-witch) and the Ocean gave them dominion over all sea life. This magic, given to the Cecaelia by Sainedar allowed them to walk freely among land dwellers and adopt their languages fairly easily.

Backround: After the fall of Sainedar and the loss of their magic, the Cecaelia went to the Dwarves for help. The Dwarves bestowed upon the Cecaelian royal family (for they are a monarchy) 5 acient relics, each giving the wearer the ability to transform their tenticals into two legs and traverse dry land. In exchange for these relics, the Dwarves asked for unlimited access to the obsidian that lay in the deepest recesses of the ocean for as long as the relics lived. This pact quickly grew into a fierce loyalty between the two races and after 3,000 years without magic the Cecaelia have become something of a myth to anyone but the Dwarves.

Cecaelian Culture: Believed to be created by Sainedar's spirit, the Cecaelian worshiped the moon. Viewing Sainedar as the Goddess of Life, the Cecaelian place women in positions of power: thus making them not only a Monarchy, but a Matriarchy. Valueing life above all, Cecaelia are generally peaceful beings, but are fearful of land dwellers and very rarely do they ever break the water's surface. However, they are not unfamiliar with weaponry: their own consisting of crossbows, spears, and harpoons equiped with various poisonous barbs. They are of a single nation who's only boundry is land. Being of a more polite nature, very few laws are in affect and most of them pertain to being above water, or their interactions with the Dwarves.

Cecaelia Anatomy: Cecaelia consist of a human top and octopus/squid bottom. Equipped with lungs and a small set of guills behind their ears, Cecaelia are able to breath both above and below the water's surface and can withstand amazing amounts of pressure. Due to the depth at which they dwell, Cecaelia communicate in a very similar to whale sonar.

Bio: Genoveva Dionda, the current reigning queen of the Cecaelia, was born to Giorgio and Eloa Dionda. Her mother, the Queen at the time, was a caring woman who took great pride in her daughter. From a young age Genoveva was taught how to be polite, yet unyielding through example. Being the queen, Eloa had very little time with her family, but Genoveva admired her nonetheless. Her father was her primary caregiver in her mother's absence and taught Genoveva how to survive. He also told her the legends of the past. Stories about land dwellers and Cecaelia interacting and thriving in peace. This instilled upon Genoveva a curiosity that grew with age.

As Genoveva got older, her mother began to take her on diplomatic missions to trade with the Dwarves. It was then that Genoveva learned the more political aspect of her future station. It was imperative they maintain good relations, for the Dwarves were their only source of information from above. However, one such mission changed Genoveva's life forever.

It was a trip like any other: Eloa and Genoveva, along with a small group of armed Cecaelia towing boxes of obsidian, made there way to the under water entrance of a cove. Inside they would deliver the onsidian and converse with the Dwarves who had come to collect it. This was a destination they were familiar with, as it had been a rendezvous point before. However, it wasn't Dwarves waiting for them, but humans! Unaware of the danger, the Cecaelia placed the obsidian upon the stone lip at the edge of the water and waited for the Dwarves to arrive. Feeling uneasy, Genoveva spoke with her mother.

"Something isn't right." Genoveva spoke in hushed tones with her mother along the outer edge of the cove entrance, bobbing with the waves that gently pushed against the stone lip.

"You must learn to be pati-" Eloa's words were cut off as the barbs of a harpoon shot through her torso, pure agony twisting her smooth face. The guard sent for the mission did their best avenge Eloa's death, but it was for naught and they were forced to flee the cove with Genoveva in tow.

In the months, even years, to pass Giorgio became the King Consort, ruling in Genoveva's stead until she could come of age. Caring for his daughter, he helped her overcome her mother's death and grow into station, but there was a hatred in her heart that only festered. Genoveva would speak with her father, urging him to strike against the humans, monsters she called them.

Being the wise man he was, Giorgio knew he couldn't convince his daughter to let go of her hate by words, but instead he showed her the kindness humans were capable off. He would take her to the surface to watch as the humans helped each other after catastrophies hit. Or show her how fishers untangled larger creatures from their nets and in time Genoveva's hatred began to dim. At 21 Genoveva took her rightful place as Queen and lost her father to sickness soon after, but not before he gave her the last Dwarven relic in Cecaelian possession.
Last edited by QuiteContrary on Tue May 02, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.