Long Gone (Quintillion)

MischiefMagics
Bronze

Long Gone (Quintillion)

Post by MischiefMagics » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:46 pm

**We do no in any way condone violence, kidnapping, drugs, or any type of illegal activity.**

Claira chewed her lip as she stared at the blank canvas in front of her. Slowly she moved her arm to touch the fresh red paint onto the black surface, the color bright smeared into a Cresent shape. Her green eyes focused for a moment, considering her next move as a loud chime sounded through the air. A gasp escaped her lips, her head whipping upward to look at the clock only to find that the time was 11:10p.m. "Oh shit I'm late!" Quickly she jumped to the task of tidying up and rushed to the diner. Upon dashing into the entrance our girl threw her hands up and dramatically announced that she was late. "I'm sorry! I lost track of time! Hopefully it hasn't bee. to busy." Getting down to business she gathered her apron and slid her cap on backwards. A proud smile donned her face as she plopped a piece of gum into her mouth and began to help with shift change. The guy she was relieving looked annoyed with her as she gathered the salt and pepper shakers and filled them. "You can go home yknow? I've got this." He pink hair made her green eyes pop as she watched him.

This was how the girl normally spent her time, working, learning, resting. It was a routine she'd had down for nearly two years now since inheriting the local business her grandparents owned. Mostly she just kept to herself concidering she was the ceo of these businesses now but something about the night shift enchanted her.

Quintillian

Re: Long Gone (Quintillion)

Post by Quintillian » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:32 am

It was 11:00 at night, and Harvey was on the highway, on his way home from work. He was trying hard not to fall asleep on the wheel; his eyelids rose then fell again like stage curtains on the opening night of some big play. The only thing keeping him awake were the lights of other cars ahead of him, as well as the street lights overhead, both of which flashed him when he tried to close his eyes.

Harvey was one of the many office drones working for a large telecommunications company. Today wasn't a good day for Harvey. He arrived late to work and got brutally scolded by his boss; one of his co-workers had eaten his lunch in the breakroom, and he had to work overtime today because he got more paperwork dumped on him at the last minute.

A loud growl came from his gut; he was hungry. Harvey slammed his foot on the gas pedal in a hurry to make it to the food district downtown before any of the restaurants closed. Harvey arrived downtown, greeted by more flashy lights and neon signs. Without paying attention, he parked his car in the parking lot of some random diner. He stepped out of his car and entered the restaurant. A small bell above the door rang as it closed behind him.

By now, Harvey was physically drained. He was slightly slouched over; his skin was pale, and he had dark circles around his eyes. He sluggishly walked over to the front counter, nearly bumping into a stool before sitting down in one.

"C-Can I have a cup of coffee please. And a bagel as well?" Harvey said, not looking at who was serving him as he rubbed his eyes.

MischiefMagics
Bronze

Post by MischiefMagics » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Claira had been sitting behind the counter completely bored until the door chimed, pulling her out of the trance she was in and drawing her attention to the man approaching the counter. A chuckle almost slipped from her as she stood and gathered his coffee for him. "Long day?" She inquired gathering his bagel from the window and placing it in front of him.

Realizing he wasn't even going to look at her she quietly took her leave before going back to the kitchen to joke around with the cook while she waited on him to make her some nuggets with potatoes and gravy. She didn't really tend to eat until she got to work but even that was rare. "If you need anything just let me know." She said pouring the strange gentleman more coffee.

She sat on the stool behind the counter with her food, sketching a bit as she chewed her lip. Strands of her pink hair fell into her face as her hand gracefully moved creating lines on the paper. Currently she was sketching out ideas for remodeling the cafe which had been a long dream of her grandfather's and she was more than happy to oblige.

Quintillian

Post by Quintillian » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:27 am

Harvey gulped down the coffee as soon as he got it, seemingly unaware of how hot it was. He slammed the empty mug on the counter. His tongue was almost visibly on fire. "Yeah, definitely a long one" He said as steam puffed out his mouth. He took a bite of his bagel but quickly frowned when he realized It was cinnamon raisin: his least favorite flavor. He continued to eat it anyway out of courtesy for the cook.

Finally, like a diver coming up for air, Harvey raised his head to take a look at his surroundings. It was diner alright, Not a bad looking one, at that. It had an old-fashioned design to it. From the checkered, black & white tiled floor, the bold red paint that covered the walls, tables and seats, the menu, even an old jukebox sitting at the very far end of the restaurant.

Harvey brought his attention back to in front of him. He was startled to see that a girl with pink hair was sitting across from him. She seemed to be drawing, totally in the zone and focused on whatever she was making. He couldn't help but stare at the girl, for some reason. She seemed awfully familiar, like they met somewhere before, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. His body began to tense up and shake slightly. He wanted to ask for her name, but his mouth was so dry that even when he tried to muster out a single word, all that came out was a gasp-like sound.

"D-Do I know you from somewhere? What's your n-name?" Harvey stuffed the last piece of the bagel in his mouth, trying to prevent himself from saying anything else; he was really embarrassed that he said anything at all. He hoped that he was actually onto something, because it would be really awkward if he got the wrong person.

MischiefMagics
Bronze

Long Gone (Quintillion)

Post by MischiefMagics » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:14 am

Blue... Robin blue... No.. Yes? Nah we'll go with more of a teal and scrap all this red.. Well maybe leave the trim red and- Clairas train of thought was broke by a gasp. Thinking the man was possibly choking her head snapped up towards him, eyes wide before realizing he was fine. Quietly sighing she looked him over, searching through her memories for any trace of the man. While he did seem familiar she couldn't quiet place him. So, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear she adjusted herself in the seat to where she was sitting straight. "Claira, Claira Eastwood.. You look kinda familiar I just can't seem to place where I've seen you." She shot an award winning smile, leaning forward to get a slightly better look. "Hmm... maybe we attended some business classes or something together. I'm always doing something." She admitted.

With one swift movement she stood, plopping her sketchpad on the counter while swooping up both the coffee pot and the gentleman's cup, giving him a refill. Upon placing the cup down on the counter a bit of the hot liquid spilled but she quickly cleaned it with a rag before it was able to get on the man. Nervously chuckling she apologized, her cheeks quickly becoming beet red. "I'm a bit clumsy.. therefore why I prefer the night shift...Not as much to potentially mess up." A slight groan escaped her, her shoulder slumping before she sighed. "I'm so sorry I didn't even bother to ask your name. That was rude of me."

As she waited for his reply she gathered some more creamers and sugars for him, picking up his empty plate before handing it through the window to the cook who immediately tossed it into the sink. The loud crashing caused the pink haired girl to cringe, she hated loud noises like that. Her eyes fell back on the gentleman. He looked rather nice to be just hanging around in some old diner at almost 11:30 p.m. And she couldn't recall him being in here before. "Just passing through? I know for sure that I haven't seen you in here before."

Quintillian

Post by Quintillian » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Harvey leaned back a little when Claira leaned closer to inspect him. As soon as she smiled at him, he was awake instantly, wide eyed and vigilant; It was either that, or the caffeine kicking in. It was quite refreshing to see a smile, since he hadn't seen one in a long time. Working in a corporate job as he did, the only expressions he got sent his way were scowls and blank stares. There wasn't a lot of comradery either; only a lot of competition over who gets the $1 raise added to their paycheck. Still, the fact that Claira was very nice and welcoming to him, even if it was apart of her job and nothing more, meant a hell of a lot to him.

"Harvey Donovan" He replied, picking up his mug. "I usually don't go to restaurants much. Eating around other people makes me nervous." He lowered the mug and reached for the packs of sugar in front of him, pouring them into his coffee and taking a sip. "But seeing that I didn't eat anything today, and I was practically on the brink of starvation, I stopped here." He joked sarcastically.

Harvey directed his attention to Claira's sketchpad There were various sketches and designs across the page. "Can I take a look at your drawings, if you don't mind."

MischiefMagics
Bronze

Post by MischiefMagics » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:10 pm

A burst of pink flew across her cheeks as he asked to look at her sketches. "Uh, yeah sure. Right now I'm working on my redesign of this place. It could use a good remodeling." She admitted handing him the book. He seemed more alert now than he was before which surprised her slightly.

It was nice to see someone who too interest in her art. She was pretty shy about it herself which was ironic considering that she was working on being an art major currently. "So what do you do for work?" She questioned him her head tilted slightly to the side as she stretched. "I own this place, and the local floral shop so I'm normally pretty busy. and when I'm not I'm studying for my courses..Although I should probably take a break from time to time." She admitted watching him flip through the pages, his eyes moving from the top to the bottom of each

Quintillian

Post by Quintillian » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:05 am

"I'm an office worker for a company called Adonis Telecommunications" Harvey answered as he went through the pages. "It isn't the most enjoyable job, but it pays well." He was quite impressed by the amount of detail in each drawing. He noticed that each rendition of the diner had a theme. There was one that looked like a more modern design, another that retained the current 1920's aesthetic with minor changes, and one that had a rustic appearance.

"These are pretty good. You've definitely put a lot of time into your art." He slid the sketchpad back over to her. Harvey felt way too comfortable now. He glanced over at the menu on his right, considering ordering something else just to stay a little longer. Surprisingly he had grown fond of the diner and Claira in only a short amount of time. He rolled up his sleeve to check his watch; it read 12:00am.

Harvey got up from the stool and fixed his suit.
He searched through his wallet and placed his money for his meal on the counter. "It's midnight. I really should get going." He walked over to the door and opened it. Before making his departure, he looked back at Claira. "Thanks for the hospitality. If I can, I may stop by here again in the evening. Have a good night" He said with a smile, walking out the door.

MischiefMagics
Bronze

Post by MischiefMagics » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:54 pm

She took the money from the man but before she could give him his change he was walking out the door. "Uh-Uh! Hey wait! Sir you forgot your change!" She shouted basically leaping over the counter to chase him down. She caught up to him as he arrived to his car in the lot, her pink hair slightly messy and panting softly. "Hey! You forgot your change I didn't want you to leave without it." She smiled as she handed the money to him before pivoting to head back, a her hand raising to wave to him. "You have a goodnight! Be safe!" She shouted as she reached the steps. She'd noticed his car, his suit. The dude reeked of riches so she figured he'd probably never visit the small diner again.

Following her shift she attended a few of her classes at University before continuing home to rest up, changing into her black satin and lace pj shorts and tank set and plopping onto the bed exhausted.

Quintillian

Post by Quintillian » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:13 am

Harvey walked in the parking lot to his car. It was dead quiet in the food district. No cars were coming on either side of the road. Most of the restaurants were closed, all except Claira's and some 24 hour fast food joint. He began to rummage through his pockets, looking for his car keys; he pulled the keys out of his front pocket. As soon as he unlocked the doors, out came the girl, running frantically from the diner towards him. She placed the leftover change he had left in his hands.

"Thanks" He was a bit disappointed that she returned the change to him; half of it was the tip he gave her. 20, maybe $60?. He felt as though she deserved it for the service, and also to go towards her renovation of her diner. Dropping the change in his pocket, he entered the car, giving a wave to Claira out his car window before pulling off onto the open road.

After driving for 20 minutes, he arrived at his house; A generic, cookie-cutter, two-story house that stood out among the hundred or so others that made up his neighborhood. He didn't bother to decorate it or remodel the place; It looked exactly the same since the day he purchased it. He exited the car and entered his house, which was just as lifeless on the inside than it was outside.

Harvey threw his suit jacket on the recliner chair in his living room. He then made his way to the couch and sat down; he sat in silence, thinking over the day; thinking about the girl. Vibrant, kind, talented, attractive, he wouldn't mind coming home to that anyday. He was short on company, with most of his friends slowly disappeared from his life, and he barely had contact with his family after his falling out with them.

The coffee was gonna keep him up for a while, so Harvey turned on the TV to catch up on the news, until eventually he fell asleep.