A lot of questions.

Have a question? Want some help? Think you have the solution to some horrific problem? This is your place!
Heilerkatze

A lot of questions.

Post by Heilerkatze » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:24 am

Hello again.

Before anything else :

First! i want to apology if this is not the right section for some questions or the whole post itself

Second! i'm still new to rp and using a forum properly wich may make some questions look really really stupid and thus i want to apologize in advance.

Third! i am using the Legacy App and im not sure how much different it works from the PC so some questions may seem weird

Let's get started then!

1. ) It seems that i cant send notes, is there a reason behind it? Its actually kinda hard to ask that privately to the staff as ...well ... i cant send pm's.
I may be wrong here BUT i guess that the Sent Message section in PM would show them if they were sent ... or not?

2. ) I HAVE read the FAQ ( i even have read both of them, as there are either two or it got changed recently ) but i am still having trouble to guess, or even look them up on the Internet, what the shorts of some sentences/words means. is there a place to look them up? like a post on this forum or a generell Collection on a Website?

3. ) Its likely the same question as the second one yet i will ask that too.
Is there a place to look up terms like God Modding or similar things? I have read it a lot by now and it still confuses me a little.

4. ) This seems rather stupid but as im really new to forum rp ( or rp in generell ) it has some kind of sense behind.
Are there tips or tricks for newbies that helps in the role play?

5. ) i think using lots details is a good tip for newbies? so this is connected to question four in a way.
I know its good to add details, is there a limit on how much or vice versa? like "that amount of detail should definitely be in it!"

6. ) Punctuation, i think its the word used for things like
. , " ' and so on.
There are a few things that i would like very much to know before im ready to screw up my first rp. ahem joking aside.
Im not living in the USA so im rather unfamiliar with the way of writing how long something is.

6,1. ) I know that the length of something is 3' 4" as example. what is the ' called and what is the " called?
Of course i could use cm and m BUT that would may cause trouble as im unsure if everyone could imagine the length with that.

6,2. ) I think i will try to make the question longer for once.
I have some examples and would like to know if i am using the correct symbols for their purpose.

Example 1 :
"Lets stay here for a while" the little girl said

Am i using the correct symbol for speech?
i know thats the question seems rather stupid but not every language is the same, i have seen people using the ' symbol for that.

Example 2 :
( I hope we stay here a little longer ) the little girl thought

Same question : are this the correct symbols for thoughts?

7. ) This is most likely the question that im troubled with a lot!
HOW can i write a reply in a rp when interacting with someone? like ... um ... im playing the teacher and aomeone else the Student.
lets imagine my foreposter wrote :

I kept continueing to talk with Max, the boy sitting next to me in the classroom, as the teacher explained something about simple multiplication. I knew that stuff already and Max did too, so we had our own little chatter.

End of foreposters reply
Now i wouldnt like to write something like this :

As i explained the simple multiplication to my students that havent understood it quiet well, i heard Luisa and Max talking with each other about their holiday plans. I knew they were good at learning yet the chatter would have the other students loose their focus on learning this simple topic.
"Luisa and Max! Are you having something to say to the class?"

End of my reply
Instead i would love to make it ... better? longer? im at loss here. i hope anyone is getting the point!
I dont know but it feels so short! and thats something i would like to fix as i want to give others a little more to reply to. I think short posts encourages short answers because if youre not fed enough you dont have the energy to run that long way.

Anyways! thats all from my side. i really hope this havent gotten to long and that i dont look like a complete idiot!

Thanks in advance and sorry again!
Be wild! Be free! be what YOU want to be, not what others want you to be!

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: A lot of questions.

Post by Annasiel » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:10 am

Heilerkatze wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:24 am
Hello again.

Before anything else :

First! i want to apology if this is not the right section for some questions or the whole post itself

Second! i'm still new to rp and using a forum properly wich may make some questions look really really stupid and thus i want to apologize in advance.

Third! i am using the Legacy App and im not sure how much different it works from the PC so some questions may seem weird

Let's get started then!

1. ) It seems that i cant send notes, is there a reason behind it? Its actually kinda hard to ask that privately to the staff as ...well ... i cant send pm's.
I may be wrong here BUT i guess that the Sent Message section in PM would show them if they were sent ... or not?
I believe we have it set that you need to make a post before sending a PM. If you tried to send them before you made a post on the forum, this might be the issue. Also, sent PMs will show up in the Outbox section until the recipient is online, then they will go into Sent Messages.

2. ) I HAVE read the FAQ ( i even have read both of them, as there are either two or it got changed recently ) but i am still having trouble to guess, or even look them up on the Internet, what the shorts of some sentences/words means. is there a place to look them up? like a post on this forum or a generell Collection on a Website?
The FAQ is the definitive place for the slang we use. If you've encountered any words or acronyms that aren't in there, please let me know and I'll add them in!

3. ) Its likely the same question as the second one yet i will ask that too.
Is there a place to look up terms like God Modding or similar things? I have read it a lot by now and it still confuses me a little.
God Modding is basically doing things to someone's character without giving them a chance to react first, or taking control of other people's characters without their permission. This includes making their characters do things, say things, or react in certain ways. For example, if my character throws a punch at yours, saying the punch knocked yours out would be god modding. You deserve a chance to say your character dodges the punch (or a chance to bite the bullet and describe them getting knocked out yourself).

4. ) This seems rather stupid but as im really new to forum rp ( or rp in generell ) it has some kind of sense behind.
Are there tips or tricks for newbies that helps in the role play?
Be patient! It can take a while for roleplays to get going, sometimes, and posting isn't always consistent. The best thing you can do is stick to it and don't give up just because things get a little slow!

5. ) i think using lots details is a good tip for newbies? so this is connected to question four in a way.
I know its good to add details, is there a limit on how much or vice versa? like "that amount of detail should definitely be in it!"
I don't really know how to answer this, exactly. There's definitely a certain point where more details becomes too many. For now, I'd say limit the details you describe to what's necessary for the other people in the RP to know.

6. ) Punctuation, i think its the word used for things like
. , " ' and so on.
There are a few things that i would like very much to know before im ready to screw up my first rp. ahem joking aside.
Im not living in the USA so im rather unfamiliar with the way of writing how long something is.

6,1. ) I know that the length of something is 3' 4" as example. what is the ' called and what is the " called?
Of course i could use cm and m BUT that would may cause trouble as im unsure if everyone could imagine the length with that.
3' 4" is just a shorthand way of writing 3 feet and 4 inches. Don't worry about not using centimeters, we have quite a few non-Americans on the site, and other people can always just look up the length in feet.

6,2. ) I think i will try to make the question longer for once.
I have some examples and would like to know if i am using the correct symbols for their purpose.

Example 1 :
"Lets stay here for a while" the little girl said

Am i using the correct symbol for speech?
i know thats the question seems rather stupid but not every language is the same, i have seen people using the ' symbol for that.
Yup, that's correct! the ' symbol is called an apostrophe, it isn't used for quotes. However, you always use end-of-sentence punctuation for quotes, like so:

"Let's stay here for a while," the little girl said.

Example 2 :
( I hope we stay here a little longer ) the little girl thought

Same question : are this the correct symbols for thoughts?
This is more of a writer's choice, but the most common way to convey thoughts is to use italics, like so:

I hope we stay here a little longer, the little girl thought.

7. ) This is most likely the question that im troubled with a lot!
HOW can i write a reply in a rp when interacting with someone? like ... um ... im playing the teacher and aomeone else the Student.
lets imagine my foreposter wrote :

I kept continueing to talk with Max, the boy sitting next to me in the classroom, as the teacher explained something about simple multiplication. I knew that stuff already and Max did too, so we had our own little chatter.

End of foreposters reply
Now i wouldnt like to write something like this :

As i explained the simple multiplication to my students that havent understood it quiet well, i heard Luisa and Max talking with each other about their holiday plans. I knew they were good at learning yet the chatter would have the other students loose their focus on learning this simple topic.
"Luisa and Max! Are you having something to say to the class?"

End of my reply
Instead i would love to make it ... better? longer? im at loss here. i hope anyone is getting the point!
I dont know but it feels so short! and thats something i would like to fix as i want to give others a little more to reply to. I think short posts encourages short answers because if youre not fed enough you dont have the energy to run that long way.

Anyways! thats all from my side. i really hope this havent gotten to long and that i dont look like a complete idiot!

Thanks in advance and sorry again!
The best way to write longer, more detailed posts is to practice both reading and writing. Start with where you are, and work on adding little bits here and there. Maybe, for example, elaborate on the actions you're making. As so:

I was explaining the simple multiplication to my students that hadn't understood it quite well. I knew I had trouble with it when I was younger, so I felt sorry for them, in a way. Giving my personal time to help them worked through it made me feel like I was giving them something my own teachers never gave me, a special sort of connection that hopefully inspired them to improve.

Some kids, however, didn't want to learn. Luisa and Max, two of my brightest students, were chatting about their holiday plans in the middle of class. They were smart enough to not need the help, but it was certainly distracting the other kids.

"Luisa, Max! Do you have something you want to say to the class?"

--

I hope that helps!
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Heilerkatze

Post by Heilerkatze » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks a lot Annasiel!
Its a great help

I've actually posted before sending the PM.
Maybe it's a problem on my end as my phone gets close to its last days.

The two "words" were TBR and TBD i think. gonna look them up again and edit them if they're incorrect

Its good to know what god modding is. thanks!

I will try not to have an overusage of details then!

That's a relief actually, yet i would have a lot of problem not knowing what what the feet and inch looks like.

It's good to see i actually havent forgotten everything i learned in school.
though i forgot about the " , " symbol at the end lf quotes!
I think i will use italics for thoughts for thoughts too then.

Oooooh its so well written, i can basically see the difference in depth!
i will try to remember!
Though i may haven't been clear enough about the question itself. i am really sorry for that so i will try again

the "problem" i have here is that after "I" have said something im ending at my post. I couldn't write something like "Hearing their names" as it would end in god modding...i think.
But i think i just got an idea to fix that type of problem so dont worry about it!

Thanks again a lot for all the answers and help i really appreciate it!

Maxx
Platinum

Post by Maxx » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Heilerkatze wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:39 am
The two "words" were TBR and TBD i think. gonna look them up again and edit them if they're incorrect
I can help with this one.

TBR stands for To Be Revealed.
This tends to be used if there is information that someone doesn't want the other members of an RP to know yet, for example, a character's background or personality.

TBD stands for To Be Decided.
This is used if there is something that someone has yet to decide, for example, a character's name.
"The way to kill a Death God is...
...to make them fall in love with a human."

"What a beautiful way to kill someone."

Heilerkatze

Post by Heilerkatze » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Oh thank you Maxx!

Im glad it wasnt something i could have figured out by myself
actually i would have never figured that out haha!

Lunanekomoon

Post by Lunanekomoon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:39 pm

Hey how do I make posts

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Lunanekomoon wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:39 pm
Hey how do I make posts
You just made one!

What kind of posts are you having trouble making?

Lunanekomoon

Post by Lunanekomoon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Reyn wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 pm
Lunanekomoon wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:39 pm
Hey how do I make posts
You just made one!

What kind of posts are you having trouble making?
The ones on the bord

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Lunanekomoon wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm
The ones on the bord
Which board in particular?

Lunanekomoon

Post by Lunanekomoon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:51 pm