What are your RP Trademarks™?

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
Reyn
Community Mod

What are your RP Trademarks™?

Post by Reyn » Tue May 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Back at it again with another weird off topic thread asking people random shit. Maybe this will be a learning experience! Maybe.

What are some defining characteristics/common themes about your RPs/characters? What do they have in common, if anything? What are some trends you've noticed in your writing? What are some trends you've noticed in other people's writing? What themes do you most like to explore, and do you have a certain Way™ of exploring them?

To start off lightly, I've noticed I tend to write edgy sadboys who are sarcastic and petty. I like writing dry sarcasm because it lets me RP being funny, and I like being petty.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: What are your RP Trademarks™?

Post by illirica » Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm

I like this thread. This is a great thread.

So, um... things?

I guess common themes for me would be connections and patience.

Connections - the things I do tend to fit in with other stuff or work to tie other stuff together. If given free reign over my BS tendencies, I will take some minor thing someone else did in passing and turn it into a big thing that is connected into six other things, because that’s what I do.

Patience is... my plotlines take a while. Me planning things that are done over the course of six months or a year is perfectly normal. I stick with things long term and develop them very slowly, but this works with the whole connection thing because over time I’m building up all the little linkages so that when I finally do The Thing that I’ve been building up to, all the support is there.

I like foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is great.

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Tue May 19, 2020 3:49 pm

I've definitely noticed the connections and foreshadowing you do! It makes it really fun to follow along with all these plotlines to see where they go, even if I'm not involved in every stage. It's very... comic-esque? In a good way

Sir Meta Knight
-Spanish Guitar Riff-

Post by Sir Meta Knight » Wed May 20, 2020 4:38 am

My major trademark seems to be roleplaying Meta Knight. For some reason. Always. All the time.
xxVictory is Image my destiny.xx

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Wed May 20, 2020 8:18 am

For RPs - I tend towards intrigue plots, a lot, and towards a lot of horror elements. I've also noticed I really, really, really like symbolism. Like, to a fault. If I can be niche and pretentious, I'm content.

For characters - Self-sacrificial characters a fairly common trope of mine; either giving themselves to a person or a cause. I tend towards snarkier, more wordy dialogue, and I do a lot of "quirky (tm)" personality traits. I also do broken characters a lot. Either misunderstood outcasts or people that have suffered some degree of trauma and have trouble connecting because of that. This is often accompanied by some lost purity or child-like innocence beneath it, either persevering in a dream, behavior/demeanor, or interaction. Some kind of nobility/aristocratic ties/upper-class position is pretty common, too, though it can just be a "noble air" without actually being upper-class. To boil it down to five major "s"s: sacrifice, sarcasm, status, strangeness, suffering. Almost all of my characters hit at least two of these traits, usually 3.
I look in the water and fear what I see
I know it's no stranger but I know it's not me
My life is a lie that was uttered in jest
If I can't change at all, let me rest

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Wed May 20, 2020 9:14 am

You're really good with symbolism. It's one of my favourite things about the way you write, actually. Very poetic.

It's really hard to think about any more traits of mine (or at least put them into words). I tend to focus on... opinionated narrators? As in, I try to convey a character through the narration of their posts a lot, but that's... how writing works. I think. Getting a Voice™ for a character is very important to me.

Also, uh, I don't write direct combat very well.

Also also my posts look sick as hell with all the cool and epic code I use.

Sihphae

Post by Sihphae » Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 pm

I wouldn't really call it a trademark, 'cuz that might imply I'm good at it, but I do tend to throw in bits and pieces that may seem irrelevant in the beginning, but tie in hopefully rather nicely later on. Bits and pieces mostly being random characters and seemingly ordinary objects turned mwds over the course of a few months' worth of writing. I also like taking things (painfully) slow and absolutely refuse to do anything I know my character would never do just to quickly fish the plot out of the sinkhole.

I also tend to create characters who make poor decisions out of the need to do good but always end up being the villain one way or another. If they manage to create a few meaningful relationships before reaching the tipping point, there is a need for them to ultimately sacrifice themselves, not for the greater good, but for the sake of the people they care about. The idea doesn't always translate as well as I imagine it, though.

Oh, and one of the things I often do is make my characters romance-inept. I can't seem to control that. Falling in love and acting on it take time to sound good anyway, if there is even a focus point on love in the story.

Killer Ice Cream
Member+

Post by Killer Ice Cream » Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 pm

I don't do well is large groups I've noticed, three or four people is more than enough. I guess I like to try and focus on how the story develops with a limited about of people, if I can't I get stressed. I tend to be all over the place character wise, I try and stretch my ability as far as portraying different types characters but I don't always do well at that. I nearly always play women, it's more comfortable for me I guess, but though I try it's hard to play edgier characters. I still have much to learn, even these years later.

ShadFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShadFlow » Thu May 28, 2020 9:58 pm

To be honest I don't know what mine really is. I seem to go through a bit of everything at least from my perspective,

I know for characters I like to take a general concept and/or idea, and build an entire identity around it. Especially over exaggerating features and aspects of that character. I am heavily inspired by typical Shonen Anime Personalities but I always spin or twist them to appease my insatiable lustful desires. >:)

So far that's all I've got on myself. Feel free to let me know if I have any trademarks that I'm oblivious to.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:11 pm

ShadFlow wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:58 pm
To be honest I don't know what mine really is. I seem to go through a bit of everything at least from my perspective,

I know for characters I like to take a general concept and/or idea, and build an entire identity around it. Especially over exaggerating features and aspects of that character. I am heavily inspired by typical Shonen Anime Personalities but I always spin or twist them to appease my insatiable lustful desires. >:)

So far that's all I've got on myself. Feel free to let me know if I have any trademarks that I'm oblivious to.
You also spend a lot of time trying to build interesting magic systems my boi.

You’re also willing to just go for bizarre ideas that word well and are tons of fun to be part of.
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III