Fighting In Schools?

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
DaTurtle

Fighting In Schools?

Post by DaTurtle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Should students be allowed to fight in school?

Since the beginning, men have fought each other, and it's clear we have evolved to match this. So why aren't children in school allowed to throw their frustrations at something? Throughout all of their school careers students are told to basically conceal their feelings and repress any negativity by shoving them into a timeout corner. I have actually talked to school boards about this and have recommended the use of conflict resolution mats that teach children how to solve problems, and while I totally think we should teach kids to solve problems, I can't help but think that maybe some kind of combat should be allowed. You could argue that football or sports could be an outlet for that, but I was a martial artist before I was football player. I think my coach said something along the lines of. "Were you in martial arts? Oh no..." I soon found out why he said oh no. I hated football, it wasn't combat. There wasn't any form to it, it was basically get up faster than the other guy and passive-aggressively shove him. I spent most of my football time regretting that I dropped Tae Kwon Do for this.

I think it would be far better for schools to start more combat orientated teams since there is a growing market for Tae Kwon Do, Hema, kendo and many others. So what do you think about this?
"Pav fucked up..." ~ UmbraSight

Snowskeeper

Re: Fighting In Schools?

Post by Snowskeeper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:32 pm

So long as it's organized and regulated and not disguised as hockey, it's fine.

ButteryPancake
Meaningless Title

Post by ButteryPancake » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm all for teaching kids how to defend themselves while giving them an outlet to relieve stress all in one package, and what's more, supervised by (Implying they're...) responsible adults. However, this opens up a very wide range of possibilities for more bullying, more stress and, of course, aggressive behaviour. I'm not saying this is not a bad idea, but we should consider that there's always that annoying brat who wants to beat the crap out of someone for whatever reason they can find. I know it, I lived it, I was the teachers' counter-measure for those kinds of brats. But I digress.

Having organized matches to relieve stress is a good idea overall, but could end up as a bad measurement if it's not orchestated right, and supervised at all times. Of course, if we treat these like we treat a sports team, excluding the ever-so-enfuriating bias some instructors possess, then I'm sure it's going to be a successful anti-stress extracurricular activity to be added into most schools.

I like this idea.
Should you be lucky enough to balance the correct number of murdered babies with adequate hours of volunteer service at children's cancer hospitals, you'll end up Neutral.

Trandafir
Intermediate Mod

Post by Trandafir » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 am

At first I thought the debate was about if kids should be allowed to beat each other up in school and was a bit scared by the idea lol but yeah, martial arts is a great way to relief stress and develop emotional strength as well as physical. I don't know if taking it to the school environment is the best idea, but it should definitely be more accessible for children
Hey! Isn't it funny we all want what isn't right?

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:56 am

Ha well technically it is about letting kids beat each other up, just in a more controlled environment where things aren't taken too far.
"Pav fucked up..." ~ UmbraSight

AeronGrey

Post by AeronGrey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:38 am

Yes, it is important to teach kids that might makes right and being small and weak makes you wrong, is your fault and something to be ashamed of. But why stop at fisticuffs? I suggest a good way for those weak kids to win their conflicts is by showing up to school with shotguns (to show how right they are.)
AeronGrey wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm
"Stop quoting me!!" -Aeron

drerer

Post by drerer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:21 pm

AeronGrey wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:38 am
Yes, it is important to teach kids that might makes right and being small and weak makes you wrong, is your fault and something to be ashamed of. But why stop at fisticuffs? I suggest a good way for those weak kids to win their conflicts is by showing up to school with shotguns (to show how right they are.)
You kidding!? this is not funny at all. Weak kid's should be given Assault rifles and you know that. It has always been done this way.
When the nuclear war starts, i have a bunker, so it's not my problem.

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:39 pm

AeronGrey wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:38 am
I'm not sure how 'voluntary fights' translated to 'teaching children that might makes right' for you, but. Yeah, no. Even if we ignore the fact that there are already fighting styles that revolve around using your enemy's size and strength against them, the fact that these opportunities are available does not mean that they should be used by everyone, for everything.

AeronGrey

Post by AeronGrey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Of course I was kidding, I would have thought that was obvious. My point is that encouraging kids to settle their differences on a "conflict resolution mat" encourages the idea of violence being able to solve your problems and that is a slippery slope. If you want to teach a kids wrestling or how to defend themselves with marital arts, that's great but do it the right way with discipline, respect and restraint.
AeronGrey wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm
"Stop quoting me!!" -Aeron

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 pm

I like this idea. Teach kids how to be gritty and tough.
For the kingdom of God awaits me, for I am saved by the blood of christ