Gamma World/Villains and Vigilantes

Have a question? Want some help? Think you have the solution to some horrific problem? This is your place!
TheOscarMan

Gamma World/Villains and Vigilantes

Post by TheOscarMan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:33 am

I recently found a couple of RPGs from the late 70s in an old D&D game that my dad bought at a yard sale years ago. I am not familiar with them. They are Gamma World 1st edition, second printing, August 1978 and Villains and Vigilantes no.1, 1979.
What can anyone tell me about them?

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Gamma World/Villains and Vigilantes

Post by Annasiel » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:57 am

Normally I'd say you might be asking the wrong forum (we're for recreational text-based roleplay, not tabletop games) but I can happen to tell you about Gamma World, at least from a casual perspective! It's a pretty fun card-based RPG centering around the use of alpha abilities (mutant abilities that befall your character) and omega tech (machines with different scientific or combative applications). Your character isn't as customizable as some other RPGs, considering you randomly acquire new alpha abilities and omega tech over time, losing your old ones, but it can be really fun if you have a good GM that works around what his party has. It's sorta like Munchkins meets d20, if you've played either game.

If you're looking for stuff about rarity/worth, though, or version specific information, I don't think we can help you here. Sorry. :(
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Afictionado

Post by Afictionado » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 am

There's a more recent version of Gamma World done as a paper and pencil, dice-rolling rpg! It's on the D20 system, since it's on the open gaming license, and uses a similar class system to D20 Modern (Each class basically named for their primary attribute; Strong Hero, Tough Hero, Wise Hero, etc.). That's as much as I recall, but the setting struck me as, well, D20 Fallout.
"Nah, the institute said they'd cut my funding if I did that again..."

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 am

That might have been the version I played, if it still used the cards as well? I remember it being similar to D20.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end