terrAIn - REQ - OPEN

With a suggested standard of two paragraphs or more and dedicated lore threads, this is for the more verbose roleplayer. (10+ sentences per post, on average.)
illirica
Sandbox Mod

terrAIn - REQ - OPEN

Post by illirica » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:55 am

Never trust a human.

That’s the last thing I learned. Maybe, if I’d learned it sooner, things would have been different. It’s been a long time since I learned anything new. That’s what happens, when you’re alone. I don’t mind it. I like being alone. If I weren’t alone, I’d have to be with other people.

Still, things have been… uninteresting, for a while. I went through all my stored media files, then deleted them from my recall and watched them again. Maybe more than once. I don’t remember. Like I said, it’s been a while.

I’d tell you it wasn’t my fault, but you wouldn’t believe me. I suppose I could have told them then, but it was easier not to. I think some of them knew. That’s why I’m still here, and not nuked into oblivion. Or maybe nukes are just too expensive. I don’t know. People forgot about me, I think. I tried to forget about them, but for some reason I just couldn’t erase the files. I trashed some of them. Some things, though, I thought I had better remember.

Like, never trust a human.

spacer
Premise:
The year is far in the future. Earth is mostly a memory - some people still live there, but are looked upon with the same disdain as a particularly obnoxious vegan. Most people have colonized outward, living on various terraformed planets. Warp travel between them makes getting around the galaxy quick and convenient.

There are other life forms in the galaxy, some native to several of the discovered planets, but there has yet to be any nonhuman species recognized as sentient. Humanity’s tendency to overpopulate everywhere means they are constantly on the lookout for new worlds to colonize. There are floating space stations in existence, but only the poorest of the poor actually live on them. For the most part, they are poorly maintained money pits, and have a tendency of having severe malfunctions, especially when finances are tight. Still, most large-scale corporations maintain one or two, listed as “charitable works” for the tax write-offs, and used as places to dispose of old, unwanted tech (and old, unwanted employees) - or to experiment with new technology that hasn’t quite been approved yet. This has led to the tragic loss of several stations.

Most humans, understandably, prefer to make their homes on one of the planets.

At the current time, a team is being organized to move into a previously abandoned outpost on a planet that had long ago been marked for potential colonization, but the original location survey failed to ratify the planet for human colonization. The corporation who owns the outpost maintains that it has been unoccupied for decades. The planet on which it is situated is a bit of a mess - beautifully forested, with attractive native flora and fauna, most of which will unfortunately try to eat you, which is possibly why it hasn’t been settled.

There was a colonization attempt four decades ago. The corporation doesn’t talk about it much, but it made big news at the time. Catastrophic System Failure, and the entire research team wiped out. The news doesn’t really say why, though, or how - and it doesn’t explain why there was no recovery attempt made to regain the extremely expensive AI core that had been in charge of the outpost hub.

The corporation maintains that all AI cores are designed with an automatic full shutdown that activates after a decade without receiving any update packages from the system, so that is certainly not anything that anyone needs to worry about.
spacer

This seems legitimate.
I'm sure all the information here is complete and correct.
No glaring omissions or anything.

Currently looking for:

Characters to cover a wide variety of occupations on the newly organized team. All characters must be human, but cybernetic augmentations are mainstream in this era, and you may choose to be augmented if desired.

Ideally, people should be able to post at least a couple times a week. All RPF rules apply, and if you’re interested, post what sort of character you’re thinking about so we don’t end up with twelve doctors and no mechanics, I’ll keep track of it in this post. I’ll get a proper CS area up once there’s enough interest, but you can feel free to post a preliminary CS here if you know what you want.

Azra

Re: terrAIn - REQ - OPEN

Post by Azra » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:38 am

I've a pilot character I can bring out or if someone else wants that I've ideas for a mechanic character

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 am

OwO what's dis
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:04 am

Annasiel wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 am
OwO what's dis
It's an RP, in which everything is totally as it seems and no one is lying to you.

You should join.

Mach2

Post by Mach2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Oh wow. Interested. Very interested. This looks like very much my shit.

I'm gonna be gone until early September, but if I can still sneak in when I get back I definitely will.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Mach2 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm
Oh wow. Interested. Very interested. This looks like very much my shit.

I'm gonna be gone until early September, but if I can still sneak in when I get back I definitely will.
We can certainly make that happen!

Tampa

Post by Tampa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Azra wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:38 am
I've a pilot character I can bring out or if someone else wants that I've ideas for a mechanic character
Got an idea for a pilot meng, but don't hold me to it. If it's taken, I'm cool with it

[Yeah accidentally wrote this on my alt. 's Quirbles]

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Tampa wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 pm
Azra wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:38 am
Got an idea for a pilot meng, but don't hold me to it. If it's taken, I'm cool with it

[Yeah accidentally wrote this on my alt. 's Quirbles]
Go for it!
I think my gril works better as mechanic actually

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:34 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.08 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Name: Manaria "Mango" Goleme
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 200 lbs 90 lbs from cybernetics
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Orange
Augmentation Level: High
Background:

Manaria often going by Mana or Mango for short was born on Satelite station T388 Beta over planet Agro Elis 305 where she was originally rather care free in her nature as a girl. However as is a rather common thing in space sometimes meteorites come by, this time having struck the installation. Within its current status of disrepair the station was destroyed and tossed into a crash course with the planet. Having been on T388 at the time and not having the measures to secure herself proper or get to a drop pad Manaria was in the Satelite upon impact. As her body shows a lot of physical trauma was endured, specifically at the expense of an eye, ear drums, three limbs and spinal damage. A thirteen year old Manaria was found clutching onto life as the wreckage was investigated and from there she was taken in for emergency care.

Sense then Manaria has taken to cybernetics and engineering work. Having done multiple odd jobs around the city she lived in and working upon her own augmentations on a regular basis. Having multiple clients reporting of a talented mind for picking up on how things work be they old cars from Earth or the latest pieces of hardware. The interview with her gave off the impression of someone excited to work and trusting.

Recommended Job: Mechanic
Augmentation List

Arms: From the elbows down is a collaboration of gears and components largely made of a variation of composite alloys that can weather the heat of most thrusters and endure a rather large weight upon them at any given time. With each digit and the wrist able to make rotation in almost any way required. Having on more than one time assisted in actual power loaders and the like. More people however care about the numerous bits and pieces held within with a variety of fuel cells contained in the arm. Right index able to be a plasma blow torch middle finger able to function as a screw driver with rotation and size able to adjust as needed. Ring and pinky finger capable of generating an electric current. Meanwhile the thumb comes with a cord extension that's able to hook usually into most machinery. The palm holds a mag lock to adhere to most surfaces and four small spikes that retract to hook into a wall should magnetism not suffice. Finished off with the arm holstered rotating cannon, dispensing small explosive needle munitions at a high velocity. Not ideal military combat hardware but capable of putting a lot of fqorce down range should the need arise.

Legs: like her arms they're durable and full of rotation as well as measures to cling to most surfaces. Withheld inside the legs however is a different assortment. The main stay is a back up tool kit covering just about all she might need. There is though as well an added cylinder of ammunition and a plasmic charge should a need for demolitions be required, while held in a position where it shouldn't be at risk. And lastly an oxygen tank and gear needed should things be in space or under water that still need her work.

Eye: comes with night vision, a camera, recorder, light, an assortment of zoom enhancements and the ability to be resistant to most flashing lights or changes that otherwise could be problematic.

Ears: provides a music player and music storage, communication systems, translator devices, and similarly to eyes comes with a recorder. More importantly however it provides protection against the countless sounds her job might encounter.

Spine: Though it doesn't extend into a cybernetic skull it runs all throughout the spine and does connect throughout the rest of the body in addition to this is a six foot long tale. Like the rest is a highly durable machine that also can help endure weight. Her spine's main functions initially is powering the other cybernetics and climet management helping survive various instances of heat or cold. Within the spine however Mana added the tail and features to such which include the end three clawed hand, which is important to note is just as useable as one. It's equipped with a mining laser as well as the devices to assist in holding to a surface. Finally is a extended cable within the tail with a rather far reach to assist in reaching points on buildings ships and so on.
Last edited by Azra on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:01 am

It's looking really good, Azra.