The Glass Spire

Beyond the walls of the capital city, farmlands dot the countryside, crossed by roads to all else in the world. Quests go here.
UmbraSight
Global Mod

The Glass Spire

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Do you see that distant peak which rises so straight and true amongst crooked siblings? What do you think it is? I've heard many answers, but only one have I ever thought true.

It is impossible to divorce truth from myth once time has done its part, and time has done its part. Upon that distant crest there is a tower, and around that tower there is a forest. And, within that forest the impossible things dwell. For you see, they are no beast of flesh, like you or I, but living metal which clicks and clacks, whirrs and klocks. They desire not food nor rest, and spend day and night each performing some unknown task, whose purpose is well hidden from the eyes of those foolish enough to pry.

That forest, and the tower at its core are not a safe place for you nor me. Many of the creatures seem docile until you take a step too close, and many more, silent save for the whisper of metal in the air stalk the crooked trees in search for any who trespass. Even the weakest among them is a frightening foe, they are resistant to the force of martial arms and the sting of magic, and even when broken it seems they are soon replaced.

There was an attempt once to bring one of these creatures back to Azuria; a mission soon abandoned when legion of their mechanical brethren followed the adventures down the mountain to reclaim their damaged brother.

If you are foolhardy enough to go to the tower, then this is all the advice I have to offer. Don't get too close, but watch them. Most have patterns that they follow, learn the patterns, watch for anomalies, and listen for silence. For, it is in these moments of peace, that you are in the most danger of the creations that creep ever closer.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Re: The Glass Spire

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:30 pm

The Glass Spire is an ancient thing whose purpose upon this world has long been lost to the annals of time. Still, even if we have no memory of what the Spire does, it does not mean that the Spire is equally clueless. It has some function still, and its automatons each work towards this unknown objective, and so long as you do not disturb them, they will not flay you.

In theory, at least.

It is not known if any have ever reached the base of the great Spire, yet some details of its construction have trickled down through the centuries. It is a tower of glass, as the name suggests, and it reaches far into the sky carving through the very clouds. The glass which makes up the tower, if rumor is true, is beautiful. Vibrant and colorful, like the glass which adorns the grand windows of churches. Beyond that however? Nothing is known.

If you are fool enough to try to test the forest, then advice to you is simple. Never attempt to attack or fight any of the creatures there. There are far less painful ways to end your own life.

[Information about the tower and surrounding forest will be updated as it is explored and milestones are reached.]
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III