[OPEN] Forgotten Paths

Abandoned threads and finished plots.
Xylohem
Intermediate Mod

Re: [OPEN] Forgotten Paths

Post by Xylohem » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:10 am

Carefully she watched his eyes. He seemed curious, or maybe it was fascination. She cared little in the end, though she held her kind smile. As a sigh passed his lips Ruvari noticed his tenseness fall away. With his smile, Ruvari moved toward the end of the bridge where he stood as she hoped he was no longer afraid of her.

His polite tone was still slightly surprising to her as she sized herself up. He did not seem much like a fighter, but there had to be something different with him. She couldn't quite put her finger on it until a massive murder of crows flew from their hidden perches and began to land on trees to lead her path.

Quickly she glanced at the raven on her shoulder that seemed to bristle slightly. But the beast was not affected by the numerous crows flying out from the trees behind the man.

Yet Ruvari was captivated by the sight. She knew many ravens of her homeland, and fewer still held the power to control them as he had just done to the crows. But even this power was a gift from her Queen.

While her attention was split between the murder of crows, she heard clearly the words of the man. The knowledge that he fled from his home shifted her attention turn back fully to him. "Enemy of your home?" Her tone remained kind as she watched him curiously. "Why... What turned this human's home against him?" Against her better judgment Ruvari looked around the woods and then back to the man. "I will wait, I desire to hear your tale and learn how you do that." Ruvari pointed one of her slender fingers toward the crows.

Slowly Ruvari made her way to a spot she deemed to be comfortable. As she sat her eyes looked at the rushing river while her ears waited to hear his tale. Gently Ruvari began to check her armor for damages and patted the spots that held her hidden blades. With luck, she'd attacked fast enough so that the human brute hadn't damaged her gifted armor. Still, she checked to make sure she need not call for repairs.

The raven that rested on the shoulder of Ruvari watched the human man with eagerness. Yet hidden deep within the animal there was a sense of distaste and concern.

Ethonious

Post by Ethonious » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:59 pm

He could have sworn he almost forgot she even was a harbringer of the afterlife, walking so casually and taking a seat nearby. She inspected her outerwear, checking for damage dealt, while the rave that sat on her shoulder stared and observed him with curiosity.

He was astonished with her desires, or perhaps she only said so to show a token of kidness. He pondered upon how much he should share before talking, for he knows a lie spoken of would be set in stone. Earning trust in this new country was vital to his daily livelihood; making another enemy of himself once more would shatter what little hope and joy he had left.

Eston took another breath of fresh air, and sighed, he was beginning to get nervous without a reason for it. He took a seat not too far from her, with space in between them enough for a person and a half to fit in between.

" I come from country of Toleso, far from the East of here. I doubt you know of such place; my country share little with my Outlook on other races. Xenophobic to a fault, and bigotted at that. Yet even there good people once lived." Eston paused, the fond memories running through the golden wheat fields while his neighbors harvested during a warm Summer's afternoon.

"I was a child practitioner of sorcery there. I attended the mage college of Toleso, I even volunteered to be drafted into her army. At one point I was seen as someone to look up to, gifted within the strands of magic. Everything crumbled into chaos when everyone had caught wind of what dark arts I have been meditating in." Eston paused, unsure if he should cross that line.

"There was a forest spirit named Kito that us children knew of. He watched over us, made sure we were safe, and had a gentle had where the children of Toleso learned of the gentleness of nature when others tended to it's care, and pacified anything that was of hostility or fear." Another pause, he was delaying the inevitable, his face was showing signs of bittersweet sadness, yet even he did not know he was doing it.

"I trust you, for what reason I know not of. If so be it, I beg of you to keep this secret locked. Asking for promises is in vain from what I have learned. Let this knowledge of mines be buried with me in death, only then would I let this fact be shared freely." He stated, giving a quick glance at the woman beside him before ocntinuing.

"I am a Necromancer. The Spirit Kito, is actually a lich by the name of Overlord Koregos. He taught me of Nevromancy, and saw an apprentice within me. I accepted, wanting to shed light that not everything is in darkness with this type of sorcery."

Eston looked over the wall of crowd conversing among themselves.
"Faruh, Ogra Fina." He called out, holding two fingers for the crow to perch on. The spectral green grow flew from his flock, gliding and resting on his hand. Eston carefully swung his hand over to the front of him where both the Raven, and the elven woman herself could see the crows unnatural coloration. There were wounds which were covered in soild green Magicka, the crow itself scted normal yet it represented naught of the crows within the fields.

"This is Faruh, before he turned into this, He was a baby crow, whose family was culled in my home country. I nurtured him, and soon he became my companion. He was pierced by three arrows, acting as a diversion while I fled."
Eston looked at at Faruh eith fondness, softly rubbing under his beak.
"You remember that, you reckless child...?" He softly cooed, receiving a soft caw from the corvid.

"My country detests these beautiful creatures, and ravens such as yours. They still believe they are birds of the apocalapyse, yet with the years I have spent studying them, observing, and caring for them. I saw no evil, just the hymns that nature herself sang that was of the cycle of life."

Eston looked over to her direction , only moving his eyes towards her direction.

"I have no knowledge of your outlook are of Necromancers, but know that not all are bad. I do not wish to raise the dead of others, nor do I desire to revive an army. I needn't or want to have other fear me. I am still mortal, a young man still. Because I am a Necromancer however, I am feared."
Insanity may reveal the uncharted ideas of ourselves. Tread lightly, lest you lose your humanity.

Xylohem
Intermediate Mod

Post by Xylohem » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Hearing the man sit a little ways away from her, Ruvari continued to check her armor. There was no serious damage, thankfully, but her gaze was caught by his expression.

As he began his tale Ruvari remembered the land she had just come from. The beauty of that land was something she would never forget, no matter how many times her mortal shell perished. Still, she listened to his words. His tone rose from fondness and fell into a more somber voice as he continued to speak. Yet at the mention of "dark arts," Ruvari paused her examination of her armor and equipment.

His depiction of Kito made Ruvari think of a guardian of the forest sent by the Mother. However, this thought was halted as he spoke of trust. Once again he surprised her by saying aloud that he trusted her though she believed she had done nothing to deserve it. Though, she remained silent as she turned her gaze to him. Asking for her to keep his secret locked, the elvish woman nodded her head and kept her features calm. He had only risen her interest in his story by asking her silence, but she knew the quality of her word.

There was only a small bead of silence between them before he spoke his truth. His declaration of being a necromancer did not deter her. But the knowledge that this "Kito" was actually a lich broke her calm expression. Ruvari looked confused and curious as she focused fully on him. Showing her Faruh was an intriguing decision, yet she did not move as she waited for his story to finish.

With the end of his story, Ruvari saw the raven on her shoulder look to her expectantly. A sigh escaped her lips as she placed her fingers before the bird on her shoulder. Tenderly the raven moved to her hand as she brought the bird to the forefront. "Mistress, it is your decision."

Silence greeted the air, the cawing of the crows a distance away seemed to meld into the darkness as the silence enveloped Ruvari and the man. The darkness seemed to meld all around them, and as it did Ruvari bowed her head in respect. Slowly the raven in her grip fell away into shadows and the form of a woman appeared standing before the pair. Her porcelain mask was the only bright feature about her as her dark eyes looked at the human. As she spoke, her voice echoed from all around them. "You and your teacher are no enemy of mine. While I detest those who betray the natural order, your fate does not end here."

In the darkness, countless golden threads came into view. Some intersected while others moved parallel with another making a massive web of threads. However, in her hand, the dark maiden held a golden string that seemed to be intersecting with a much darker string. Gracefully, the woman turned her gaze to Ruvari. "You know my orders."

"Of course, my Queen." With these words, the darkness began to fall away and the visage of the dark woman melded into the shadows. As the dim light of the moon returned to the pair, the raven that had been on Ruvari's hand was now nowhere to be seen. Ruvari seemed to let out a sigh as she turned her gaze back to the rushing river. "I apologize, the Mother of Ravens is sometimes a little strange." Her expression had returned to a still calm, yet it was obvious she was fighting a battle deep within herself.

Ethonious

Post by Ethonious » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Eston had thought about other beings of equivalence or greater than his master, this Mother of Ravens, was such, and she was his first encounter.

She was above what mortals are. It begged to question; just how much was Toleso missing out on isolating themselves? Eston knew of nothing of this new world so if anyrhing, he was thankful that he could not be seen as a threat to one deity. Eston glanced at her again; she seemed troubled, yet she her snow white looks presented not a hint of emotional anguish.

The elf apologized for her master's open ended statements, which to his credit did confuse him. He was a bit relieved she had a pinch of sarcasm within her. He fixed his eyes back to the river, watching the moving painting continue to roar and sway.
"It is fine, really. A mortal such as I has alot to learn." Eston replied.

"Corva, Nera." Eston ordered out of the blue. The Crows that awaited and sat in anticipation dispersed, taking flight back into the forest, where their distant caws could be heard.

Silence surrounded them again, with the exception of an umbral entity surrounding them in a void.

"So, I have told you of myself. What of you? Of course, share what you deem fit. I know not of some illusionary spells others can cast on me. It would pain me dearly to be liable to someone's being."
Insanity may reveal the uncharted ideas of ourselves. Tread lightly, lest you lose your humanity.

Xylohem
Intermediate Mod

Post by Xylohem » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:45 am

Hearing his question Ruvari kept her gaze on the foaming water, and as its rushing sound continued she spoke. "Elves are not immortal beings. Our foundation came from our father, an old Elven God whom many have forgotten. Yet as any family does, the ancient elves fought each other." Her expression was distant and her eyes seemed to stare a thousand miles through the water and into the world.

The memories could not be stopped rising to the forefront of her mind as she told her history. "This sundering between the Elven God and those he raised to his level hurt his people to the core..." Tenderly, her hand moved on its own balling into a fist above the center of her chest. "Those who followed the darker ones fell from his light, but all were banished from his home..."

"It was a desperate attempt by one of our own, a Queen among the Elves, to open the gateway back into our old home." As she spoke, her tone was sorrowful and low. "Though, in her attempt to rise and return sense to our shattered family, wizards of darker interests twisted the ritual."

At this point in her memories, Ruvari seemed to shake with rage. "They tried to siphon energy to build themselves up." Slowly her nails dug into the flesh of her hand that was held over her heart. Tender droplets of blood began to fall from the wounds and lightly painted her armored trousers. "The energy came from the souls of elves like me. We trusted our Queen, and when she figured out what was happening she turned her rage on the wizards." Her angered tone slowly fell quiet as she lowered her head.

"Her rage altered the ritual. We were sent to a realm that echoed her brokenness... And my people have been bound to her will forever since. This tale has been long forgotten by our elvish brethren as we have not walked this world in many years." While her mind continued to play through her past, she remembered the Queen. No, not just her queen, but her sister... Though she never spoke of her relation to the God of Fate and Ravens. It still plagued her, how she was too late to see the danger and save her sibling. The pain was evident on her face as she attempted to hide it in the shadows that she so easily manipulated.

Ruvari took in a few calming breaths before she turned her gaze to the man beside her. "More recent memories are mine to keep. Though I hope you will keep my secret." Slowly she held out her bleeding palm upwards toward the man forming a small basin. "My word is my bond, and my blood, the seal." Her voice was calm and calculated but rung with honesty. A light pool of blood began to gather in her hand as she held it out to him. After a few moments, she opened her hand and let the gathered blood fall into the dirt between them. To Ruvari this was a symbol of her vowing silence.

Ethonious

Post by Ethonious » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:44 am

The Elf's story brought within him blurry memories of his childhood; when Lord Koregos gathered the small children under the old Fighvern tree, who told many tales of ancient folk and history of other races, people like her. The origin of humans, the Elves, and the long history that existed, even before mankind. Dwarves that roamed and called mountains home, Ancient beings that were shrouded in much mysteries, he could remember the warm summer days.

To her however, it was her sad reality. She kept a gaze on him, speaking to him and hoping that he would also keep such past in secrecy. The Elf held her hands out towards him, cupping her hands together, letting the blood that leaked from a wound of her hand gather.

"My word is my bond, and my blood, the seal."

A short moment of silence befell them, which was broken from the sound of her scarlet red blood splashing and covering the red grass blades. A bit of her blood had left a few splattered spots around his boots but he did not mind. Eston had not known of such a code that required a ritual like this, still he showed respect; he was still a foreigner in a foreign world.

Eston felt humbled that she could keep her word with her own cultural vow; he was worried his own vows would be seen as offensive, or perhaps rude to her own well being, so he cleared his voice.
"Toleso is bigoted, a country of racial supremacy. We have never experienced any other culture other than our own. With that being said, Toleso is one who treasures it's natural island. There is an ancient tradition among Tolesan Woodsmen that our nation as a whole had adopted. The symbol of Omega, the last, would be marked by the blood of the woodsmen on the last desired tree that they would cut before dawn. The mark represented the duty or right of someone, overwritten by the nature of life. Children, use it to declare loyalty to friends, Lovers, mark their own weddings to marry someone else, Lords and Kings, have used the symbol on contracts from those who wish to excavate land."

Eston examined the blood on the ground, gently with both his middle and index finger together, dipped his fingertips and gathered some of her own blood.
"If this is disrespectful, I apologize; it is just what I have grown to know of making vows." Eston was sincere with his apology, holding his palm out, drawing out a circle with a little opening, with two vertical lines on both the head and tail of the circles.

"If I may have your hand?" Eston asked, holding out his own palm. Just as he waited, he realized other implications in which this vow could mean.

"Once again, I apologize, I promise you can wash it off once I am done!" He gave an embarrassed look, instinctively lowering his head, his cheeks a hint red flush.

Xylohem
Intermediate Mod

Post by Xylohem » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:32 am

Seeing his expression of curiosity and interest Ruvari kept herself still as she wondered what he would do in response. While, in her culture, it was common to seal vows with blood. Most of the time, her people would shed much more blood in such vows.

As his gaze fell to her scattered blood, she saw the worry build on his face for but a moment before he composed himself. Clearing his voice, he spoke of his home and the traditions of his people. While Ruvari was not from Azuria, she was not of the material plane either. So, as he spoke, her attention was affixed to him. Speaking of how this symbol was so important to the Toleso people, she did not expect him to dot his fingers with her fallen blood.

His speed in offering no offense made her laugh lightly. He seemed like such a child, yet he knew much more than she did of this world he was born into. Looking at the symbol he drew, Ruvari knew of an equivalent among her kind though it meant no serious curse. In truth, the symbol he drew reminded Ruvari specifically of the symbol for "humanity". This symbol was rarely used as all like Ruvari were not human, and few were sent on missions like her. However, the symbol was made and as he held his hand to show her he asked for her hand.

This made her wonder for a moment as to what he would do, though her thoughts were lost as his flustered voice broke into the silence. Once again she laughed lightly and held out her hand that was not bleeding. "There is no offense in 'humanity.' That is the symbol you have drawn or something near it."

Holding her hand out in response to his request, a nervousness arose within Ruvari as she watched him. "He might be tricking me... No... I doubt he would become so flustered if he were trying to curse me." Curbing her nervous thoughts, Ruvari closed her eyes and lowered her head slightly and spoke. "I understand the human notion of asking for one's hand in marriage. Though, among my people, we do not bind our hands together."

Her eyes looked at her wounded hand as the words escaped her throat. "We bind our souls. For these bodies we are seen in are nothing but vessels. If my vessel were to perish, my soul would be returned to my Queen and I would have to wait for her to build me a new vessel." Tenderly her hand balled into a fist as she looked at it carefully. The crimson blood seemed to entrance her as she stared at the droplets. While the wound had begun to clot, the flow of the blood wasn't what seemed to hold her attention. Or, maybe it was.

Ethonious

Post by Ethonious » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Eston was attentive as much as he was embarrassed; she was adorable when she was more lighthearted.

Her giggle was unexpected.

The Elf assured him that she knows the assumed implications, but she was not accustomed to such traditions. Her race believed in something past the physical realm, one that binds their souls together, even after the physical self had long died. The thought was pleasant to think about, the kind of love that surpassed one's physical form.

Eston wanted to ask, if perhaps in her previous life, he had one she could call her husband, or soulmate, but he retracted that thought. He did recall more recent memories are for her to keep. Between the years that he and she had lived, she was much older.

"I hope you find one that is well fit to be with you." Eston spoke, with a small smile as he gave a split second to look at her before tending to his business again.

Eston bit the tip of his thumb, drawing blood. He was careful to gently hold the back Palm of her hand, brining it a bit closer. Like a brush, Eston gave no pressure to the thing, painting the same sigil on her palm as he did to his own palm with her blood. Once finished, Eston brought his hand beside hers, leveled at the same height.

Eston cleared his throat, staring at her eye to eye.

Let the oath declared by those who draw the sigil keep their promise,
Let not a hint of their vows be broken,
Lest the curse of Roah-un,
From now,
Till Death.

Eston's neutralcexpresison broke into a soft and subtle smile again.

"Usually, you would draw the sigil on a tree, as it the anchor of promise, held by the Mother of life, Roah-un. I marked each of us, as we are both anchors to each other's vows to keep a secret. Eventually we will both return to dust, as Roah-un has made it her creation." Eston stated, pressing the bloodied thumb on the cover of the lich armor.

He figured the red stain would camouflage well with the scarlet cloth.

Xylohem
Intermediate Mod

Post by Xylohem » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:51 am

"I hope you find one that is well fit to be with you."

Pain gripped her heart. Ruvari believed he did not want to hurt her with his words as his tone was kind. However, the memory of love filled her heart with sorrow and guilt. It had been her fault, she knew it. She had caused his death, his suffering, and now her own suffering because she was foolish.

Lowering her head, the shadows around the pair seemed to conform into a dark veil that hid Ruvari's face. Feeling his thumb press into her free hand gently felt familiar, and desperately she fought against the memories that she had so thoroughly silenced. As she fought against the pain she did her best to hold a calm demeanor yet her shield was failing.

Still, he seemed to tenderly hold the back of her hand as he spoke his traditional vow. Ruvari remained silent as she listened to his words, though her attention was split amongst the memories of her more recent past. Pain racked her mind and heart as she relived the moments.

She had fought for hundreds of years for that kingdom and expected nothing. Especially she had not expected the eyes of the royal family. Ruvari had been near her seven hundredth year on the material plane when he had caught her eye. Just that little smile that showed his handsome features. She had been among so many beings in that time and seen so many beautiful and extravagant faces that she thought she could never be struck down with just a look. While that held true, he caught her eye with not only his looks but also with his actions. Gods damn that Prince for everything he was... His smile, his laugh, the way he made her feel alive again. All of it, her desperate imagination.

Ruvari hadn't noticed when Eston had finished speaking. Though she did not move, she didn't know if there was more to this tradition. So she kept her hand still and her eyes gazed far into the distance. As he pressed his thumb against his armor, Ruvari opened her mouth to speak, but no words escaped her throat.

After a few moments of silence, Ruvari finally moved her hand and turned her gaze to the symbol. Carefully she picked her words and once more attempted to speak. To her relief, she was able to choke out the words. "I will not lie, I was concerned for a short time... Now I feel foolish, I apologize." Her tone held an air of silent suffering as she propped one of her legs up to rest her arm.

More silence followed as she tried to speak to distract from the memories. "Thank you... For your well wishes." As she began to regain control over her expression and emotions the dark veil of shadows fell away to reveal her face. The calm and cold calculation was written on her expression once again, yet inside she continued to battle her memories. "Being what I am makes it difficult to find one who can live as long as I do... Every new vessel is a new face..." Slowly she brought her injured hand up to her face and covered her golden eye. "This is my third vessel... My Queen thought it interesting to save an eye from each of my previous vessels and use them for this vessels eyes." A tender smirk rose to her lips, though it seemed partially forced.

Lowering her hand, she glanced at the man near her and lowered her head in a bow of respect. "I wish the same for you. May the Gods guide you to whoever is to be with you."

Ethonious

Post by Ethonious » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:08 am

"Thank you... For your well wishes."

She showed the same monotone expression as she did before even stating intentions. Perhaps he had offended her? Eston still could not read her. The Ruvari had continued to talk about her previous physical forms, how each new vessel had distinct differences from her current vessel, how her Queen had decided to keep an eye from her previous bodies and reincarnate them to her current form. Eston thought of it a little grotesque, still he knew gods and demigods were not to be judged; their understanding were stars above his.

Ruvari had been polite, wishing the same good fortune with his search of a soulmate. He kept a smile across his lips, though it brought heart-aching memories of his former two best friends. He had wondered how Aria was. Quite a few years had passed since his last heart's desire chose a woman he could not get himself over of. Eston turned from her direction back to the river; as of now he had no time to think, the words had just rushed out like a river.

Eston let out a burdened sigh.

"I am deeply grateful for your wishes, however such a life exists naught for me. I was eighteen, when I could last recall one who enraptured my heart. After a year of service, such emotions had to be shattered, she was engaged when I mustered the courage to tell her. I kept such words to myself; the love I hold for her would also destroy bridges that were built." Eston paused, lost in a state of void; the familiar yet shriveling sensation of heartbreak. Eston could feel his fingertips grow cold, enough to draw shivers if felt unexpected. The feeling of emptiness was a different kind of form that he felt being on the run.

Eston gulped, gathering his thoughts again.
"When my affiliations with a Lich leaked, She hesitated not even to draw her sword at me. I learned that my roots were meant to be planted not in a forest, but in a field. I deem it fine for myself, or so I think, to live life with oneself. Perhaps I am unable, in this life at least."