[QUEST] Shattered Glass

Abandoned threads and finished plots.
Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Re: [QUEST] Shattered Glass

Post by Shinigami » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:08 am

That confounded machine! Moores screams in his head. He immediately signals his group to take cover as he presses his back to a tree, readying his axe. The private and archer duck into the nearby foliage, the former stringing an arrow as she does. They didn't know whether to watch the beast or the two ahead, but they figured it best to be ready for both.

Why did it choose now to speak? Couldn't it have tried before? Reasoned with them? And how did it know about the archer? She was behind a log; there's no way it could've seen her that easily. Something just didn't sit right, and they could all feel it in their guts.
Image I am Shinigami, the local god of death.

vvv Important site links vvv
Da Rules | Da FAQs | Da Staff

Shameless art plug: Visit my DeviantArt!

Quirbles
Advanced Mod

Post by Quirbles » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Figuring that his masked companion was finally opening up to him, Lithius nodded his head in reply.

"If you're comfortable doing so."

At the sound of an unfamiliar voice sounding out behind the two, the paladin quickly turned around to view the source of the noise; when greeted with the sight of the injured animal from earlier, he couldn't help but raise an eyebrow in disbelief.

Not only was it uninjured, but it was... scolding them.

What in Veius' name...?

"My... apologies?" He muttered quizzically.

Lithius turned to his traveling partner as if to confirm what he was seeing as true, and upon realizing that the man's mask obscured his expression, turned back to the metal — and talking — animal. Unless the paladin was hearing things, the thing had mentioned a person taking notes; and unless he and the masked man by his side had magically equipped a quill and roll of parchment, neither of them fit the criteria for one.

The paladin backed up and unsheathed his sword.

"REVEAL YOURSELVES." Lithius shouted out to the hidden spies in the grassy clearing. He knew not where they were, and the threat of uninvited followers trumped that of the awakened animal at the moment.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 am

"If you're comfortable doing so."

Unexpected. Perhaps Sully had risked himself a step too far, too certain of the paladin's decency. He'd expected a gentle refusal, either out of disgust or general politeness, not an open invitation he would look the fool for turning down now. He almost lifted the mask from his face, recognition be darned, when a very convenient deus ex automaton spoke out of the blue.

Sully glanced back, looked into Lithius' eyes, and glanced back again. The machine was talking.

"Damned devil," he growled, flipping his knife so he held the point between his index finger and thumb. He held his arm back at an angle, ready to throw if need be. The followers were coming out.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:31 am

REVEAL YOURSELVES.

Damn. If only that blasted machine hadn't opened it's metallic mouth, their cover wouldn't have been blown. Seeing no point I'm hiding now, Moores orders his soldiers to leave their cover and takes the lead, axe still in hand. His expression is far from pleased.

"I am sergeant Moores, of the Azuria guard. These two are privates Warden and Delmora," he announces, gesturing to the private and archer, respectively. "We were tracking you for reason of suspicious activity; until that thing decided to open its yap."

Warden looks back to the creature, watching it. He begins to wonder why they hadn't seen any more. Surely, it wasn't the only one in these forests... Becoming paranoid now, he grasps the hilt of his sword even tighter.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:20 pm

“What sort of strange party are you lot then? Bicker, bicker, bicker! Bah.” The machine spoke, again with another sharp whistle of steam cutting through the air. If the clockwork took notice, or even cared about the antagonistic attitude between the two groups, it was not evident in its tone; not steam and water could convey much emotion. “I call you all callous, and what do you do but go and keep being callous! Brilliant.”

The clockwork’s head turned to look at the knight and his masked companion first, the motion came with the whine of stressed metal, but the automaton showed no discomfort. “I am fair, and you two were first, so let's start with you then, eh?” Around them leaves rustled as if touched by the wind, however no such gust could be felt slithering its way through the clearing. Of this too the clockwork took no notice. “You knight, you see one stranded in the woods and your first instinct is to stab it? How wicked, how cruel; but you, my masked fellow are decent enough to stop such cold blooded malice but you can't be bothered them to try to help?”

In the air there was a sound, so faint that one could only truly hear if they strained their ears. A sound like metal gently pulled across silk. With that same whine the Clockwork’s head turned to the three guardsmen. “And you heartless three are no better! Bah! If I could spit I would.” The machine produced a gurgling sound followed by a wheeze of escaping air. “You first, with the notes! Content are you just to watch suffering so long as you can jot it down are you? And you two! Nary a look in my direction! And when you are called out? Bah! More displeased in the fact that you were caught than you are anything else!”

The whisper of motion ended then, and there was silence, pure and complete. No drone of insects nor chattering of birds in search of a mate, just silence.

“Worry not, I am fair, I am kind. I will grant you a chance to explain yourselves to me. Tell me those tricky thoughts that slid between the lines of your mind when you decided to leave me be.”
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Quirbles
Advanced Mod

Post by Quirbles » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Lithius had little time to turn to his masked companion for his input on the matter before the metallic being began to berate the paladin for his apparent disregard for humanity. Lithius gave a light scoff at the notion, but an insecurity had begun to set in. He had just stabbed the animal without checking, had he? The entire situation left a bad taste in his mouth.

In all honesty, he'd seen enough. He wanted out, but there wasn't a chance to get out. He'd already gone too far to turn back.

"...my apologies. I fear I've lost a bit of my compassionate side... might I ask what your name is? And if there's any way we could make up our misdeeds, friend?"

He had taken his attention away from the Azuria guards, but he had not forgotten about them.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 am

“Ah, better, though how much is guilt and how much is genuine?” With the crunch of gears incorrectly catching and the ever present hiss of steam the clockwork looked back to the paladin. “Pah, I’ll grant you the benefit of doubt, this is our first meeting after all, you wish for my name yes? I am Grinder.” The clockwork, Grinder, pushed itself as high as its mangled charapice would allow, with the truly unpleasant sound of scraping metal.

“Yes, yes this is a good first step! Well, it would have been if it had been done first, but, a second chance seems in order.”

“Yes, if you do wish to make up this slight, then you five must all do as I say until I say that you are done. And if you do, then you will be redeemed. However, before all that,” Grinder’s head turned back to the guardsmen, “you lot, you mismatched three, explain yourself, why did you not help me?”
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:16 am

Delmora winces at Grinder's words. It's not as though she didn't want to help it. Simply that doing so would blow their mission. She turns to the creature and begins to speak, only to be cut off by Moores.

"These two are innocent," he says, glaring at the machine. "They were acting under my orders, and I will not reprimand them for doing so. I do apologize for not coming to your aid, but it was simply not possible. Doing so would have ruined our cover, and severely compromised our mission, as is currently the case."

He gestures to Lithius and the masked man with his free hand, his other still gripping the axe. "These two are currently under the suspicion of the guard. I am unable to reveal the nature of the case, but we have been tracking them in secret to gain more evidence and could not risk them noticing us."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:58 am

“You are wrong.” Again the stillness in the air was disrupted by the whisper of movement, the gentle shift of leaves, the touch of metal against metal, the hum of - what? - all almost inaudible but there. Grinder met the glare of the irate guard with a perfectly impassive mask, and a voice only kept from being impassive by the wheeze of water. “They were here, and it was by their own choice that they did not act. It matters not if they were following orders, if I move to strike you down on the word of another, then I am just as guilty as the one who gave the order.”

A gear in Grinder’s neck ground as he looked at the two other guardsmen. “Duty is not an excuse, but I choose to be fair. You five still have a chance, you will help me, and forgiveness might find its way into my gears. Now, which of you is the strongest, which of you can pick me up?”

Quirbles
Advanced Mod

Post by Quirbles » Fri May 04, 2018 3:42 am

Lithius gave an annoyed grunt at the guard's explanation, shaking his head. Under suspicion.

Suspicion for what? Lithius had gone to Azuria to speak with the leader of this damned kingdom, and now he'd been roped into a horrible affair tat he wasn't even sure he wished to be in. He looked back to his masked partner for a moment and then snapped his view back to the guards.

"I have done nothing wrong. In fact, I came to your damned city in order to help all of you. To spit in my face— to say I have done wrong and need supervision— to insult my character..."

Barely noticeable sparks of electricity arced from the paladin's hands, jutting out into the air before dissipating and traveling up the length of his blade. He exhaled heavily and the sparks disappeared, replaced by the calm silence of the forest. He turned away, back to the automaton. Lithius had nothing more to say to those who had tracked him and his companion.

"I can lift you. Let us continue on." He stated curtly, his tone reflecting a heavy sense of distaste with the current situation. He kneeled down next to the machine and attempted to lift it, sheathing his sword before grabbing its [his? her?] legs and back with either arm before hoisting it into the air with a muffled grunt.