Hold for an Audience: The Throne Room

Samual_Jennings

Re: Hold for an Audience: The Throne Room

Post by Samual_Jennings » Sun May 06, 2018 3:15 am

"Why, I feel a difference in your spirit every time this guard mentions his name! It appears to be angering this spirit all the more. Perhaps if you gave me more information I could be more certain. As for now, I fear precautionary measures might need be taken. Are you willing to hear me out, Your Majesty?"

Quirbles
Advanced Mod

Post by Quirbles » Sun May 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Mathieu looked to Gielban. Her weakened mental state had ruined the ability to reason, and now this man was taking advantage of it. He refused to believe in the mentioning of spirits. Ghosts and wraiths, as far as he was concerned, were myths.

But they weren't, were they? Vampires existed, that much is true, so why not other aspects of the supernatural? That man at the Masque had disappeared into darkness, and here you were refusing to believe in wraiths.

The old guard held onto his beliefs. No.

"I had to watch a man I knew for decades get lowered into a grave and buried beneath a mound of dirt, and here you are saying that he has somehow returned? You're a damned liar. Do you wish to know the circumstances of his death? He died the way any man of his age would have, be it stress or natural causes. He has no reason to haunt these damn halls."

He breathed in sharply, crossing his arms.

"You have arrived at this kingdom today, and already you wish to know about the clandestine matters of Azuria. Simply put: none of this concerns you. Consider yourself lucky you even remain within this palace. Now leave, and she will summon you when she finds it appropriate."

Samual_Jennings

Post by Samual_Jennings » Sun May 06, 2018 5:36 pm

"What doth Her Majesty say? It appears as thou art the one taking advantage. Won't Her Majesty say so if she wishes for me to take my leave?"

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun May 06, 2018 7:07 pm

"I will be the judge of who is taking advantage of whom," Gielban replied, though the words didn't have the snap of her earlier demeanor. They were quiet, and a careful eye would catch the way her fingers clutched tight to her throne. If she let go, they would begin to shake, and she had no intention of showing that much weakness. She had shown weakness enough. So instead, she swept her gaze between the old guard - she still did not know how to feel about him - and the newcome spellcaster - she still did not know how much to trust him - and narrowed her eyes.

"I will not pretend to know the way of spirits, nor will I pretend to know if they exist at all, but... what can you do about this?" The words were a little too fast, her intrigue a little too great. "If Emeric... if this truly is the case. Will the powder help? It improved my mood before, which, from your lips, meant it worked. Yes?"
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Quirbles
Advanced Mod

Post by Quirbles » Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 pm

The royal guard sighed and took a step backward, shaking his head as he turned his back to the old man and approached the desk beside the throne. He began a retrieval of the scattered documents, organizing the flurry into the neat pile the papers had once been in. Once finished, he gave another soft sigh and subtly placed an armored hand over his wound. The numbness in his leg was prevalent, now, no doubt a result of his heightened emotion. Mathieu closed his eyes for a moment as he listened to Gielban’s words, his mouth turning into a frown of disgust.

“Lady Conrad, for you to be under the influence of this powder is to compromise your own integrity and mental state. I heavily advise that you do not give this man your time.” Mathieu stated, leaning against the desk for a moment.

“Use of narcotics leads to depravity. Imagine if the public found out that their ruler did such a thing. Other parties would find you unfit to rule; it is a slippery slope that must be avoided.”

Samual_Jennings

Post by Samual_Jennings » Sun May 06, 2018 8:21 pm

"The powder may help, but it won't be enough. This spirit is stronger than I once thought. I suggest complete mental and emotional isolation. Remove yourself from anything and anyone who reminds you too much of this Emeric fellow. And while in isolation, continue to take magic treatments. What do you think, Your Majesty?"

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 pm

Complete isolation?

Gielban's grip on the throne tightened. That would not do. That would not do at all. To be alone-

"No," she said, louder than she meant. The word echoed in the hollow hall. Lips drawn taunt into a strained line, she lifted herself from the chair. "No. I will not isolate myself from my guards, nor from this palace. While I understand your intent, Tameo, that will not do."

But he might be hunting you. He might want to make you pay.

"There must be some other way to... defend against this threat," she continued, quieter.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Samual_Jennings

Post by Samual_Jennings » Mon May 07, 2018 8:11 pm

"Connections between the earthly and spiritual realms are made by way of emotional and mental ties. You may have your guards, but none that remind you of Em---, well, you know. And that would include this guard at your desk. I'm afraid this spirit may not be defeated unless he is first isolated from your mind. What do you say?"

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Quirbles
Advanced Mod

Post by Quirbles » Mon May 07, 2018 9:06 pm

The bare hint of a smile made its way across Mathieu's face and then settled into a neutral line, the old guard making an effort not to show his happiness at Gielban's decision. Her mind was very easily convinced at this point; for her to isolate herself would only make the troubles in her mind constrict any reason like a vice. Being alone was too dangerous for the Conrad daughter to even attempt.

Ridding herself of Mathieu, however, was a more plausible decision that the guard suspected Gielban wasn't reasonable enough to decline at the moment. He looked back to Lady Conrad for a moment, a frown evident upon his face.

"Not only is that request logistically difficult to adhere to, it is also foolish." He stated, not too convinced that she'd actually decline the offer. He had reason to believe that Gielban wouldn't agree to the terms given their conversation before the arrival of their uninvited guest, but his doubts were prevalent. He looked back to the wizened man, eyes narrowed.

"You are overstepping your boundaries. Firstly, I do not see how I remind Lady Conrad of her late father, but that is beside the point entirely; letting a man who hasn't spent a day in this damned kingdom is a dangerous game to play, Gielban." Mathieu accosted, looking to the ruler of Azuria for the latter part of his sentence. It was her decision to make, and one he couldn't sway once she had made it; it wouldn't stop him from attempting to have her see reason.

Samual_Jennings

Post by Samual_Jennings » Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 pm

"I meant no offence to you, sir. But if you care about the Queen's wellbeing, you would want her to have safety, would you not?! What is it you do not understand?!"

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk