Hold for an Audience: The Throne Room

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Hold for an Audience: The Throne Room

Post by Annasiel » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 pm

"The Lady is still recuperating from events of the night prior," the guard said, his tone strict and final. "We have already allowed in an allotted number of visitors of the day. The Lady also emphasizes no special treatment, which-"

"No special treatment, right," his partner interrupted. "But ye just let that old man waltz right in."

The first guard blinked.

"He was not a functionary or dignitary, he was a servicer offering to help," he retorted back. Still, he seemed shaken in his resolve. His partner turned to face the courier of the message and smiled apologetically.

"If ye need a place to stay, go inside and ask the servants for Ser Blackwell," the second man said. "If ye be who ye say you are, the palace is open to ye."

Something in his eyes shifted, but the shadow was quickly gone.
Image "I see things that no one else seems to see..." Image

Avalein

Post by Avalein » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:38 am

Laeroth nodded, "I will go and look for Ser Blackwell then." His eyes still showing his displeasure, if required he would get his lady to come. Nudging his horse forward through the gate, he already knew that most of Ilyana's company other then her serving girls and a few guards would go with her as well. Nodding to his groom to hold his horse while he went in search of Ser Blackwell. Dismounting hurried inside a hand resting on his sword at this side. Going through a side door started down one of the hallways, Laeroth started to search for a servant. Finding one smiled, "I am looking Ser Blackwell, I must speak with him it is of the most importance that I do."

He showed the servant his colors that were that of his lady and of the royal elven house, "please it is very important that I speak with him." Watching as the servant pointed down a hallway nodded quickly hurrying down it hoping he'd find Ser Blackwell soon.
Last edited by Avalein on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elrond: There are some who would not deem it wise.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:16 am

Gielban allowed Draven to lead her from the throne room, still maintaining her dignity in rigid pose, but as soon as she was out she slumped wearily against his shoulder. Last night had been exhausting, and the events of this morning only compounded the fatigue into her bones. Endless questions. Endless desires. That odd little wizard had helped for a time, but now she felt worse than ever. Maybe if she asked for some more of that powder. Still, knowing Draven was here was a comfort in and of itself.

"I entrust the fate of the palace in your hands," she muttered. "And pray I don't find it a burning wreck when I wake."

Footsteps from down the hall, hurried. One of the servants, perhaps? No, they wouldn't venture down this way so noisily, and the sound was more that of boots or travelling shoes than quilted slippers. Gielban once more straightened, her body and mind groaning in complaint. An elf rounded the corner, garbed in courtish clothes, a paper held in his hand.

Goddess hopes he isn't looking for my council.

"What are you doing here?" she snapped, perhaps a little too angrily.

Avalein

Post by Avalein » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:48 am

Rounding the corner and seeing Gielban breathed a sigh of relief, though he hadn't been successful in finding Ser Blackwell he had found Lady Conrad. Surprise showing for a moment when he saw Ser Blackwell with Lady Conrad. Bowing his head respectfully to her and Ser Blackwell, hearing as Gielban snapped at him shook his head his people were known for not forgetting a slight, "Lady Conrad, I am Laeroth captain of the guard to my lady the princess Ilyana of the Kingdom of Isluzia. I am sorry to bother you, but my princess's father King Arathorn has instructed me to give you this letter." Holds up the letter, "it is of the most importance, my princess currently is at the Dragon's Scale with the rest of her company. She asked that I return when it was delivered." Glancing over at Ser Blackwell, "we also need a place to stay for at least the princess and her personal company, the rest we can arrange housing for in the city at the Dragon Scale and another place within the city."

Thinking for a moment and remembering Gielban's tone with him shook his head, "I shall remember this when I tell my lady what happened and your tone with me as well." Laeroth's eyes darkened for a moment, "the Princess Ilyana shall be notified at once about this slight and word will be sent to her father as well. I do not think that you want to anger her father as he has powerful allies through her mother.." he paused before speaking again. "the late Queen Arlayna of the empire of Liria." He had been Ilyana's mother's captain of the guard before becoming Ilyana's after her mother Queen Arlayna died suddenly one night from what reason they were still trying to figure out.

Quickly getting to the point, "the Princess Ilyana requires an audience with you as does the princess Valeria in private." remembering meeting the other princess before leaving the Dragon Scale. "When should I tell them they can have an audience with you milady?" Lowering his head in the elven form of showing respect. "What shall I tell them?" Hoping that it would help Lady Conrad respond quicker as well as noticing that she was tired, "Princess Ilyana knows how to heal, I am sure that if you allowed her to stay she could make you something to help, you sleep and feel better." He sighed quietly Ilyana had been too young when her mother had died and at the time no one had seen the queen for several hours until she was found. Otherwise a potion would have been made to heal her and her guards would have stayed closer to her. His hand closed on his sword at his side as he remembered that part of his vow was to avenge the death of Queen Arlayna. "I also require some help as well." In his pocket was the only thing that had been found by the Queen's body when it had been found, it showed the colors of a house in Azuria as he'd never seen it in the Kingdom of Isluzia and Arlayna's brother hadn't either.
Last edited by Avalein on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myrn
Intermediate Mod

Post by Myrn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Draven was mindful of his Lady's gait as he ushered her out the room. He made sure to spread the word that Lady Gielban would not be hosting presence for the rest of the day so that she may rest after the arduous ordeal of last night's aftermath. The last thing Gielban needed was another headache.

"I entrust the fate of the palace in your hands," she muttered loud enough for him to hear. "And pray I don't find it a burning wreck when I wake." Draven chuckled to himself and added his own little quip in return.

"Pray you don't find that I have ameliorated the palace in your absence, it certainly won't do for your position." The heavy footfalls had alerted Draven and already the famous Blackwell scowl framed his face accented by furrowed brows over dark eyes. Had he not ordered the guards that there were to be no more guests to host today?

"What are you doing here?"

At once, Draven held himself poised and ready beside Lady Gielban, bearing little more than a disgruntled frown. At the mention of a slight, his expression deepened into a scowl; to intrude unannounced and then dare make casual threats in their presence was insulting, and Draven had half a mind to draw his sword right then and there. However, he let the man finish speaking, preventing his anger from clouding his judgment over the other man's inability to swallow his pride.

"My apologies for my Lady though I can't say the same for your people's fragility. You happened to have caught us in the most inopportune moment, hence the order I sent out that Lady Conrad will not be seeing anyone for the rest of today." Draven had begun, making clear he took offense on behalf of Lady Gielban regardless if Laeroth began to properly present himself as a guest in a foreign Kingdom.

"It's customary to send a royal messenger to announce a pending arrival in which we can prepare to properly host our guests. Our borders may be open however your presence is unannounced and your intention unclear." At which, Draven narrowed his eyes. Of course, he would suspect him and his kingdom of ill will now that the elf had so boldly claimed of powerful allies not to be trifled with. With his opinion soured by their first contact, Draven signaled for the passing servant. "I will make the proper arrangements and will send for you and Her Royal Highness, Princess of Isluzia when we are ready to receive you and your company." He paused momentarily to consider the offer given however there was already another who had already offered her services.

"I will have to decline as we already enlisted the services of another, it'd be rude to set her aside after accepting, as for your personal request... Give me time, and we'll see what can be done."
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

Avalein

Post by Avalein » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:45 am

Laeroth shook his head when Draven mentioned that a royal messenger should have been sent ahead, "we have sent messengers, but they never arrived or were turned aside by your guards." Trying to keep his temper under control it would not do to ruin any chance of trade between the two kingdoms. "Also for the past years since the Queen's death the king and the kingdom has been in mourning, us elves mourn longer then you do. The Queen Arlayna was loved by all her people." trying to hide a tear that started to appear, he had been very close to the queen up until her passing.

He closed his eyes he could still remember it like the day it happened, and he had kept everything that had been around her when they had found her in the garden. "My lady and I will be either at the Dragon Scale or another place within the city." Laeroth thought for a moment before once again remembering Valeria, "Lady Conrad there is another princess within the city, what shall i tell them? She is seeking safety from wars in her homeland along with her brother." Reaching up to his neck gently felt the broach that was there the symbol of Princess Ilyana as well as Queen Arlayna, silently asking the queen for strength and patience something that he never had.

When Draven declined Ilyana helping Lady Conrad nodded quietly, King Arathorn had told them to remain within the city until their business was done, at this rate it could take several weeks at least, possibly longer once they were granted audience. The only thing giving him strength was going to be the sight of the beautiful Yrlissa one of Arlayna's maidens who had came with Ilyana and his betrothed back at the Dragon Scale. Ilyana was the sole heir to the throne after Arathorn steps down and Laeroth had a feeling that the king had planned something that he would not be in favor with, but he knew better then to argue at least not in front of him.

Surprise showed in his eyes when Draven mentioned his personal request, "you have not heard what that request is Ser Blackwell."

Laeroth smiled a smug smile, " My king would come if i told him about what happened earlier, who knows maybe he's on his way as I speak." Handing the letter to Gielban before shooting Draven a look that would make even the princess freeze in her tracks, "it is for HER EYES ONLY!" Nodding to Lady Conrad. As he turned to leave,"I will be sending word to her father as is my duty and instructions, there is a good chance that he will come after reading what i send him." With that he strode back the way he had come, he had already decided that the royal guards would remain at the Dragon Scale while the Princess and the rest of her company went to the Silver Crown Inn that was run by a couple that had grown up in the Kingdom of Isluzia and as such had moved and opened an inn within the city. Turning back once more smiled, "My princess and I will be at the Silver Crown when you come to find us." Patience was something that his lady had told him he needed on more then one occassion and now was the time to try it at least for her and her daughters sake.
Last edited by Avalein on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:16 am

"If you please, Ser Laeroth."

Despite her exhaustion, Gielban rose to her full height, face turned strong and stoic. She stood silent for a second, then smiled warmly, hands outstretched and head bowed. This was not the place for a fight, nor for any slights. Goddess be, she just wanted to sleep, but she would not let matters rest as they were.

"Ser Blackwell means well, though diplomacy is a skill that eludes him. As for your messengers, I received no notice, which distresses me." A calculated frown replaced the smile, brow furrowing in worry. "Either incompetence on the part of my guards, or failure on the part of your own men. Whatever the case, someone has committed an error, something we both must move past and forgive."

She took the letter, merely holding it at her side for now. Reading could come later.

"I... apologize for the current measures of security, though I will not take responsibility for any perceived slight. There was a possible attempt on my life last night, and I have not yet slept from worry." So much for not letting that detail spread. It was a decent enough excuse, if any excuse for security was necessary at all, and would hopefully sate this man's rabid need for offense. "I have heard news of Liria's loss, and my heart is with you and the rest in mourning, but all nations face such troubles. We too have recently lost our king, and for all your admittance to some greater grieving, I assure you, the scars still run deep."

Powerful allies indeed. With all this talk of slights and emotionality, one might think this Laeroth was threatening the advent of war. Gielban sighed.

"I hope for peace with all elven kingdoms. We have recently celebrated our second decade of peaceful alliance with Aunduriel, and would cherish such a relationship with the people you represent. As a gesture of goodwill... I will gladly open up the palace lodgings to you and your kind. Inns are unbefitting of refugee royals, are they not?"

Avalein

Post by Avalein » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:53 am

A small smile crossed Laeroth's face, "it can take years to master diplomacy, I should know as I was a diplomat before my current position as a captain of the guard to the Princess of Isluzia, and I am still learning even now." Laughing softly as he finished, "I fear that my Queen realized that patience is not one of my strong suits, even before i came into her service as she mentioned it more then once." When Gielban mentioned the messengers nodded, "it is the reason why my king usually uses falcons or hawks to deliver his messages less likely of them becoming lost."

When he heard that attempt on her life he nodded, "well might i make a suggestion, of sleeping with a small dagger at your side it cannot help but to be too careful." Laeroth smiled a sad smile, "yes and the same to you on your loss." he shot a look over at Draven before turning back to Lady Conrad, "and normally, my people would be able to celebrate the many deeds she did in her life, but I believe that it was not an accident, and I have been asked by King Arathorn to find out the true cause of her death." He looked down for a moment before once again looking at her, "she was found in the royal garden dead among the flowers, the only cause I could think of is poison as there was nothing wrong with her and she was with child at the time." Laeroth closed his eyes trying to figure out whether he should speak more of what happened taking a deep breath and opening his eyes he continues. "We have few to any poisons within the kingdom. There is talk among the court that the Princess did it so she'd be the heir, I know that she wouldn't do it, it is not in her nature to plus she would still serve as ruler until her brother would have come of age to take the throne."

Laeroth once again laughed softly, after breathing a sigh of relief, he had managed to save what could have been trouble later on, "yes indeed I would agree though we stayed in worse on our journey here." shuddering for a moment as he remembered a couple of the places they had stayed during the journey. "We stayed in some unsavory inns on our way here." Lowering his head respectfully he watched Gielban, "I will send for my princess and her company then if you have no objection, we have traveled with little rest." He nodded, "yes they are but i heard something about wars in their lands and that the Princess Valeria and her brother are in need of protection until the war is over."

Myrn
Intermediate Mod

Post by Myrn » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:55 pm

"I can agree the art of diplomacy can take years to master though the years seem to be lost on you."

Draven then turned his attention to the servant he had called over and instructed them to prepare the suites for their impending guests. He did not miss the look Laeroth shot him and in return, a single brow rose in perplexion. What was the man implying with that look as he spoke of their late king? Whatever the matter, the elf spoke of his late queen once again, to gain sympathy from Lady Gielban? Certainly, they may share their grief but to delve into details with what could only be seen as strangers, and foreigners at that... They were either too trusting and eager or he was a naive fool. Private matters are to stay as private matters, to show weakness is non-negotiable. Draven would pinch the bridge of his nose but instead, he kept his composure and breathed.

"We may grant asylum for as long as we can maintain our neutrality in this matter."
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

Avalein

Post by Avalein » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 am

Laeroth shook his head, at Draven, " it was during my younger years, i now just direct and train guards." Watching as he spoke the the servant he had called over. A small smile appeared on his face, "well Ser Blackwell, why do you have anything against offering asylum if the means no longer being neutral? Most of the elven realms are neutral unless those who we have offered asylum to are being threatened. Would you send them away if they brought their war to your doors even if they were being hunted?" his eyes questioning Ser Blackwell. "From what i could gather is that they are being hunted and as such I doubt they would stay long enough to become a threat to Azuria unless they were actually given protection that they needed."

Looking at Gielban smiled once again bowing his head to her. "My Princess company has some presents for you Lady Conrad from our Kingdom." Before looking back over at Draven a sneer appearing on his lips.