[Event] Masque

Thought to have once been a sanctuary from some ancient foe, Wrenhaven has been the seat of Azurian control for centuries.

Moderators: Moderator, Admin, Developer

Annasiel
Admin

[Event] Masque

Post by Annasiel » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Sycophants on velvet sofas
Lavish mansions, vintage wine
I am so much more than royal
Snatch your chain and mace your eyes.

A full ensemble on the balcony, strings and voices drawn in sonorous ichor. Through the growing crowd, servants bobbed and weaved, silver platters laden high with drinks and treats. This was the Wintertide Ball, arguably the greatest event for nobility out of all others, and Lady Conrad had spared no expense. For the moment, it was merely beginning. Some of the arrivals talked amongst themselves, passing the time until the main course, and many more notable names in the city's walls had not yet arrived. At the door to the outside stair, four palace guards stood, ensuring the toll to attend this exclusive event would be paid.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

CanadianCake

Re: [Event] Masque

Post by CanadianCake » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Josephine Enters

Even Josephine's amazement at the lavish furnishings, dishes, and architecture weren't enough to overshadow her fear. Sully loomed over her and she tried to look relaxed and poised. Luckily most of her expression was hidden behind a mask.

The girl looked around, trying to ignore the sickly smell of the perfume Sully had bathed himself in. Her hand rested on his forearm as lightly as possible. He had cleaned up and hidden his wings. She looked up at his combed back hair and tried to hide her discomfort. Sully could have been handsome, in another life.

"So what do I need to do?" She whispered to him as they slowly walked into the ballroom. Jo's dress swished gently with her cautious steps, and she smiled at a group of nobles with what she hoped was charm.
Octavia_Greyye wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:21 am
Kill me daddy

DarkButterfly

Post by DarkButterfly » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Ilya

My mask was positively frightening, if I do say so myself. It was a wonderful piece of my own design and it fit perfectly. Unfortunately I couldn't say the same about my suit. It was a formal guard uniform with light gold trimming, a small hooded cloak of black leather and polished jackboots. While all this added to my refinement, it simply didn't fit me very well. Everything was slightly too big and my shoulders are much smaller than the man this suit was made for. I pinched it off a certain guard from his home; certain guard meaning I don't know exactly who he was but he won't be missing it. I put a drop of my blood in his evening glass of wine.

Slipping into the ball, I sign my name into the guest book and nod to the guard examining me for weapons. He wouldn't find any, of course, as I held no obvious weapons. However, in the back of my mask was a needle no longer than my index finger. It appeared to be a part of the aesthetic of the mask and I was correct in my assumption that it wouldn't be confiscated. The only thing I wondered now was what kind of mayhem I could cause. Oh I'm so glad no one could see my goofy grin beneath my mask, it'd give me away!

Spying a young woman, though likely much older than myself, in a lovely pink and white dress, I approached her. Taking a bow, I spoke, introducing myself, and attempted to lower the pitch of my voice a bit in the process.

"Good evening madam, such a droll activity is it not? Haha. Perhaps I might pull you away from your companion for a dance?"-

In my mind, I prayed quietly, 'this one, goddess?'
"Those who do not understand true pain can never understand true peace."-DarkButterfly

Kali

Post by Kali » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:30 pm

ImageImage
Kadnissa entered the hall, the pink in her gown being a little bit of a darker tone than her own skin. Even with her mask, it was obvious who she was. There wasn't many with her coloration. The hall was already filling up, and she tried to find the Azurian ruler. She intended on introducing her to the woman she had managed to convince to come with her, though it had been a difficult task to have Amirah make a dress for her companion, in very short notice. It didn't help that the woman she brought, never seemed to have worn a dress before, so it had been up to herself and the Merchant queen to come up with something suitable, and that would fit. She glanced behind her, to make sure she was still being followed.

Kadnissa smiled lightly. "Everything's going to be alright. I need to go see if our host can be found. I would like to introduce you to her before the night goes on. Just look around if you want to, have fun, I'll be right back." She disappeared into the crowd.
Without hatred, your life is pointless... but this hellfire, isn’t it what supports your legs?

Kali

Post by Kali » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:37 pm

ImageImageImage
Alexandra didn't entirely know why she was there, or had to wear the silly getup she was in. Tents were to be used for shelter, not worn. They weren't supposed to be fancy or glittery either. She couldn't help but shift uncomfortably, and fiddle with the mask she wore. There were numerous people around, all wearing fancy stuff, with things on their faces. Of course, she towered over all of them being a good eight feet tall. She at least liked the little crown thing that Kadnissa had picked out for her. It was shiny. So was the dress she had on. Little amethyst beads. She couldn't help but be reminded of home.

She frowned a little when the guild master had told her she was going to be leaving her, but nodded slightly. "Alright..." she never felt nervous before in her life.. until now. She felt completely lost, confused, and had no idea what to do. She was a protector, and she already had trouble speaking to the surface people. She just had to do her best and not mess up.
Without hatred, your life is pointless... but this hellfire, isn’t it what supports your legs?

DarkButterfly

Post by DarkButterfly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:15 am

Ilya

Out of the corner of my eye, I spied Kadnissa, the owner of a local guild. The woman was marvelous, and terrifying. In an instant, a great sense of overwhelming came over me. What did I plan on doing here? Prick this stupid woman with my blood? It wasn't like she was going to instantly drop dead, my poison takes a week to kill people. I would have no impact here, and if anything it would arouse suspicion. This foolishness would be the death of me, and I am not dying at the hands of some beady eyed guard who watches small men too closely.

Bowing once more, I retract myself away from the woman and her companion.

"You know, perhaps this party is a bit too much for me, haha. I don't think someone like me, a commoner, really belongs here. Haha."

At that, I set about leaving. My stride was, perhaps, a bit too quickened, but I'd find myself out of the ball within a minute. My heartbeat quickened as I walked, stepping out of the palace and away from the party. What was this feeling? It was not fear. I am not afraid. What was there to be scared of? I'm a master killer! I am not afraid. People fear me! I hold life and death in my hands! I am not afraid. I am NOT afraid.

Damn, I'm afraid.

Left event
"Those who do not understand true pain can never understand true peace."-DarkButterfly

Annasiel
Admin

Post by Annasiel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:41 am

Snobbish, rich, good-for-nothing nobles. The hall was filled with the stench of lavish perfume and pomp. Of course, Sully didn't help with this, his own body completely drenched in scents to cover the smell of his rotting flesh. He didn't like thinking about it; it scared him. Not as much as his patron did, oh no, oh no, but some of the things his patron asked of him seemed much too much. One of the first tolls taken, a badge of his service. Black tendrils of gangrenous decay curled from the base of his neck to the heels of his feet. A badge, yes, and a leash. The threat of his own body decomposing alive was a strong incentive to obey the voice of his patron.

вє strσng sσlσmσn, she whispered in her breathy voice. It was louder than ever, here, a warm comfort, a stark terror. She spoke in simple, soft words. To him, it felt like someone he could trust, but anyone Sully felt trustworthy had to be treated with the least trust possible.

"Ye are ta be stayin' by me side, sweet," he replied to Josephine, uncomfortably shifting his folded wings inside the sleeves of his trenchcoat. Oh, the costs of inconspicuousity! But the two swords had gone to the doorguard without a hitch, and the smiling (if not genuine) face of his companion helped to boost his sense of belonging. She certainly made a stunning lady.

cαutíσn.

Sully's dark eyes watched an approaching young man with suspicion.

hє hαs thє tαstє σf вlσσd σn hís вrєαth.

As the man... no, boy! approached his Josephine and asked her to dance, Sully's grip on her wrist tightened. But the boy himself seemed set on edge, and in a moment, he departed with some mention of being a commoner. What a silly fool, what a foolish boy, did he not realize the only difference between commoner and noble was what food you found in their stomachs? But he was already leaving, and the paranoia eased out of the carrenwing's shoulders.

"Ye best not be actin' skittish, darlin'," he crooned to his captive, "lest tha guardmen be thinkin' ye ascairt of me."

CanadianCake

Post by CanadianCake » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am

Smiling at another group of simpering nobles, Josephine resisted the urge to tell him that she was scared of him. Sully probably already knew that, and she had a feeling that if he could smell anything over his perfume, he would be able to smell her fear.

Frankly, the person who had approached her had made her jump slightly. Their mask had been frightening, and they did seem shorter than her. But that didn't mean she would refuse a dance with him to escape. Unfortunately, the person had seemed to become skittish and disappeared.

"Well, shall we dance?" She said, with another beaming smile up at him. Her insides weighed with disgust though, because she would rather dance with a goblin.
Octavia_Greyye wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:21 am
Kill me daddy

Annasiel
Admin

Post by Annasiel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm

"Well, shall we dance?"

Now she was talking. Not only eschewing her terror, but offering to blend in as-well-like! Sully knew how to dance, and if he could say so, he was pretty skilled at it. Back when he lived with his auld troop, he'd had a hop and a scamper on a good day, and was often barreled down with different kinesthetic studies in the pursuit of entertainment. He'd learned his far share of dances, and more than willfully could procure a simple waltz.

"It wood be mos' pleasurarible," he replied in what he hoped was a suave tone, left foot leaning forward into a swooping wave of his hand. In this flourish, he grabbed Josephine's own fingers, his other hand snagging her by the waist. "Follow me, darlin', if ye know what be good for ya."

One. Two. Three. One. Two. Three. The music soared and leaped in trinitant rhythm, bringing Solomon back to a time when he felt his life actually meant something. Unbidden, a tear slid down from behind his mask, a sharp contrast to his stretched, maniacal smile.

Crimsigon-718

Post by Crimsigon-718 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Entering gracefully Morgana started forward, swept up in the beauty and splendour that the hall was bedecked in and thought back to her long past childhood when her father would hold such balls for those vassals of his that did not displease him. Already the masque was beginning to fill with other members of nobility and aristocracy. Most of them however were not born into royalty and were not the last of their family and as such she tried not to look down upon them, however she must come to the Lady Conrad and beg for the hospitality and protection of the Wrenhaven. The very idea made her almost want to choke on the thought of her bowing down to one who's family had overthrown the ruling family as the same circumstances was what had destroyed her own family and kingdom. Moving across the hall she put aside those thoughts as she once again plastered a weak willed smile on her face and acted the humble maiden for all to see.
Munditia Enim Virtutis Dei