The New World

JoJoTheClown
Bronze

The New World

Post by JoJoTheClown » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:40 pm

August 14, 2018

Thay was the day it all happened.. I remember it vividly... The day the bomb dropped.

It was a clear sunny day, ironically one of the more beautiful days of the year in the city of angels, Los Angeles, California. I had just flown in two days before to visit my parents in the Hills. It had been three years since I left, going off to Harvard to study law in my father's footsteps. Being back in this city gave me a chance to connect with my old friends, the whole group. We hadn't seen each other since graduation, all of us going on separate journeys through life. I was more eager to connect with my childhood best friend, Will, more than anything. Practically my brother growing up. We had arranged to meet at the old diner we used to loiter at as kids, a fun trip dowm memory lane. Naturally, I was the first one there. I always had a tick for being punctual, sometimes early. I took my seat at an empty table and let my eyes guide themselves around the diner, eventually landing on the television set on the wall. My brain couldn't comprehend what my eyes saw before the tv began screeching, quickly switching to a black screen. 'Four bombs dropped along the west coast.' Was the last thing my eyes could catch before the broadcast had been dropped. It appeared that not many caught sight of the broadcast before it was shut off. I appeared to be the only one in a panic, dashing out of the diner to see my group of friends standing before me. Little did I know they would mean more to me now.. than ever..

As the days drug on I-

Leo looked up from his notebook, seeing the sun begin to peek through the boarded windows. His eyes shifted across the room to Will, who's was napping on a booth seat. The two of them were supposed to keep watch while the others slept. It appeared neither of them were doing their job. Leo closed his notebook and stepped over to the window, peeking through the boards. Still a ghost town. Luckily, there had been no damage from the explosion to LA. But... a lot of people got sick after that.. through the whole country. The bombs didn't just effect the west coast. It appeared some sort of disease had spread through the country, infecting and killing a majority of the citizens. Somehow, Leo and his friends managed to stay healthy, unnafected by the sickness.

They took up camp along with a few other survivors in a fairly modern looking seafood resteraunt. It was a bit tacky, with the giant fishing lures handing on the walls and the big circular aquarium in the middle of the resteraunt. Although it did hold enough food for them to survive for over a month. After searching for each of their families, successful or not, The group decided that they would wait it out in the seafood place, hoping help would come eventually. But it never did, and never would. Patients ran thin as the group slowly ran out of food.
That was four days ago.. no one has eaten in four days, and tempers were starting to rise. It seemed venturing out into the unknown was imminent.. if they wanted to survive, and Leo knew that.

The short haird man let his finger run through the brown patch on his head as he looked down at Leo, a sigh escaping from his mouth. Somehow he'd found a few hits in his bag a few days ago, and last night the withdrawals started again. It was going to be difficult to try and venture out with will if he was sick, so hed probably have to stay behind. "Will, get up, Drink." Leo insisted as he handed him a canteen that one of the other group members had. There were a few of them now, Leo had a hard time keeping up with their names.

Wills eyes shot open as Leo shoved the canteen in his face. "Why can't I just sleep?" He groaned as he took the bottle and sipped some of the water. His body felt a bit queezy, uneasy, unstable, like his skin was trying to rip itself off of his body. A loud groan escaped Wills mouth again as he sat up and leaned hisnhead against the wall. He watched as Leo loaded a bag full of supplies, destined to venture out into the wasteland today. Will knew that Leo nor Nick wouldn't him go out there today... but he might wander off while they were gone.

CrashJr
Bronze

Re: The New World

Post by CrashJr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Across the room from the pair Ami stood looking out through the boards on the windows while taking a drag on her cigarette. Admittedly she was mainly keeping watch on her bike that sat next to an abandoned delivery truck in the parking lot, it was nothing special and truthfully she had stolen it from a guy that was a weekend rider a few weeks back but it was a ride that got her this far. Now, however, she was stuck in this awful restaurant that was starting to smell like rotten food. "What the fuck is going on in the world?" she questions herself as she takes another drag. Her stomach growls loudly and she looks around annoyed to deter anyone that attempted to talk to her and after a moment she turns back to the window continuing to watch her bike and smoke her cigarette silently.

Lionwafers

Post by Lionwafers » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 pm

Aschwin awoke to the sun once again glaring back at him from the stain-glass windows, reminding him that another day had come and that this wasn't a dream. Another day to rise, another day to repeat a routine: get up, patrol the area, and wait. All parts were fair, minus the waiting. It had been four days now without rations. They were in the heart of L.A, so there was nothing to hunt. Well, nothing living to hunt. You could argue cannibalism, but Aschwin wasn't convinced that the situation was that extreme. Still, he knew sooner or later, things would get worse if they didn't find any food. So, he figured it was time to add another task to his list: search for supplies.

He pulled himself up from the floor, stretching the kinks out of his back from another sore night sleeping on hardwood. He'd much prefer the dirt, truly. He slung on his duffle and went to work.

He began his routine, starting with the main room. Given that he was one of the very few people held up here without a gun, he didn't have much of choice about going outside. He kept his patrols inside, checking every room for any signs of damage or possible holes that could lead to some sort of break in from the outside. Aschwin didn't believe for a second that their little group here were the last humans on earth; the human race is too stubborn to drop like that. There were bound to be other survivors, others who were starving like they were, others who would mind raiding the place to get themselves to the next day. He wasn't about to let that happen. As he checked around the restaurant, Aschwin caught glances of the other survivors around here. Moral seemed to be low, understandably. Aschwin wasn't a people pleaser in the slightest, but boosted moral could be the first step to getting them out of here. No help was coming, whether they believed that or not.

He had past Ami while he made his rounds. He had had his hatchet in hand and was considering whether to hack the front counter and some tables apart and put the wood to good use. Maybe build some sort of fence or something outside to keep outsiders away- though it could very well do the opposite. "The world's an unpredictable place," he commented, having heard the woman grumble in passing. Aschwin kept his distance respectfully, knowing well enough that while they were all in this together, they were all still strangers to one another. He raised his hatchet up high and came down the table with a heavy blow, cracking it in two. "All we can do is adapt. Though stayin' cooped up in here won't do us any good." He kept hacking until he got pieces about a foot or so long to work with. He still didn't know what to do with them, but they'd make good firewood if anything else. After wiping the sweat from his forehead he holstered his to his belt and began gathering up the wood pieces. He dropped down in a corner for now until he could think of a use for them, but he did feel satisfied to have done something moderately productive.

The boy's eyes went to the boarded windows, trying to make out what they could through the cracks. Cloudy, grey, with just peeks of sunlight. Not preferable, but they'd do. "I'm getting out of this restaurant for some real air," he said, making his way to the door. "Tired of smelling like fish."

Wanderlusst
Silver

Post by Wanderlusst » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Dexter hadn't slept properly last night. Or for the last three nights at all, too afraid that if he closed his eyes everyone who disappear or something bad would happen. As he rolled over he spotted Haven sleeping across the room, curled up with her head against a back. He sighed and sat up, looking down at the dirty floor he thought about his life before the blast.

He wasn't someone Haven nor the others should be very close too. But Dex knew that he wanted to live and in order to do that, he needed to stay with them. As he looked towards a window he felt his stomach growl a little, they needed to get food and fast.

----

Haven slowly opened and closed her eyes a few times. After rubbing them, she sat up and looked around at everyone else before she pulled herself up, her gaze landed on Will and the other man, Leo she remembered the name as she walked towards them,"So what's the plan today?"she asked as she sank into a chair and looked between the two of them,"We're running low on food, and other supplies... not sure how much longer everyone will last.."

Soupster

Post by Soupster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Nick was still sleeping on his two seats he made to be support. It wasn’t the best spot, but it was better than the floor. His radiation mask was still on in his sleep and his gyro counter strapped along his chest. It didn’t read much radiation. The problem was that it sensed some radiation. Even though it was a low amount it was some. Nick turned over in his sleep and fell off his chairs. As he fell his chairs tipped over and fell with him. Nick awoke when he landed on his bags and when the chairs fell on his,” Shit!” Nick pushed off the chairs of his back. Luckily for him it didn’t seem like anything was hurt. He got off the floor in time to hear Heven..Haven... He didn’t fully remember her name, but he heard her ask Will about when they would leave. He was curious about that too. This group has been 4 days without food and getting low on water. He grabbed his bag from the ground around him. Sticking out of the bag was his shotgun. A sawed-off he hoped he’d never have to use. “ It’s about time we start trying to get some more supplies. Radiation should I’ve cleared up for the most part by now and we’re out of food. At least if there’s nothing at least we can say we tried.” Nick spoke up before setting his seats back up and sitting on one.
Idk what I do

Reznik

Post by Reznik » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 pm

David had been outside, patrolling around the hide out for the past hour. His thoughts drifted to what lay ahead for they're ragtag little group. He knew each one of them were civilians, and he had been the only one there with any type of military training, so he did his best to keep security outside tight and help Leo keep the panic down.

Slowly David stepped in the room just as Nick had fallen out of the chair screaming. Shaking his head he looked around the room with his m1a rifle now slung across his back. Then spotting Leo he walked over, removing his tactical sunglasses as he did.

"From what I can tell were the only survivors in a five mile radius of here. I havent really scoped out any of the stores just in case someone is holed up, but from what I can tell from the outside were alone for now.."

He then kicked up a chair and pulled out a tourist map he snagged from a gas station and unfolded it over the table in front of him. Then taking his pen he circled their position, then placed question marks over various points on the map after drawing a big circle to indicate the area he has walked and searched.

He then pointed to the spots with the question marks, "These points have the best possibilities of finding supplies, but again I did not scout inside the buildings...So I'd advise extreme caution.."

He then drew Xs on other parts, "And these spots are still hot as far as radiation goes...So Leo these are our options, I'd advise staying inside the area I scouted, unless we all plan on moving out together.."
Last edited by Reznik on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DatGuyDusty

Post by DatGuyDusty » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Alexander only just woke up himself, set up in his own slice of heaven across from the group. With a groan, he picked himself off the makeshift mattress... Which was only a bed cover filled in with extra clothes. He wouldn't need them anyway, why would he? Changing clothes in a situation seemed very stupid and a waste of time. He looked around, briefly for his bag which sat across the room and stood up to walk towards it... Catching a glance on the group he had been watching for a couple days through a window. "...Most activity in a couple days." He muttered to himself, crouching by the window as he peaked out. The shop didn't seem ideal for those guys, it might of been too cramped and well, tacky. For now, he watched to see if they left or not, trying to keep himself hidden in the meanwhile.
"Who are you, who do not know your history?"

Lionwafers

Post by Lionwafers » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 pm

Aschwin was halfway over to the door when he saw a good chunk of the group crowded around...Leo, was it? He had heard bits and pieces of the commotion but rather than tag along in the conversation, he figured his actions would speak louder than his words. Still, he couldn't help but huff to himself.

Who died and made him in charge?

While he in no way wished to be a leader, Aschwin did find it odd how everyone was gravitating towards the other man. He'd figured everyone would more likely go to David, with him being the oldest and most experienced with these kinds of things. He swallowed his pride and shoved his negativity away. Such thoughts wouldn't do him any good-- they'd probably get him killed first.

Aschwin took up his hatchet in his right hand then carefully turned the knob with his left. A breeze fluttered in as he cracked the door open, it's squeak invading the room. Still cloudy, still grey, still miserable. How he missed the old outdoors... But he'd come to accept this one in time. So he hoped.

"Going outside, aren't we?" he then spoke up. He left the door open as he took his first few steps out. There was not much to look at. The buildings were concaving and collapsing. The streets were littered with old rusted cars and the ashes that remained of what structures didn't survive the initial blast. To call L.A. a ruin was a compliment. This place was nothing short of a wasteland.

Aschwin looked back at the group with a raised brow. "If so, count me in. Nothin' better to do around here anyway and I'll get to stretch my legs for a change."

Wanderlusst
Silver

Post by Wanderlusst » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 pm

Haven felt her heart drop to her stomach at the man's words... we are alone, her mind flashed to her mother and father before she shook them away. Her gaze fixed on Leo and Will, she knew Will was itching to get out of her just like everyone else. Hell she was a Doctor and felt hopeless, there was nothing for her to do, no radiation treatments, no cure for whatever was next, no diagnosis, she had to sit here and wait for the call that they could put themselves to use, in ways they weren't trained for. At least not her.

Haven had been a sheltered child mostly. Unless she got caught up in Dex's shenanigans, thanks to him she got known as the good girl gone wild at a senior party. She didn't remember much, but thanks to a few videos that circulated she got to watch herself became famous. As she snapped back to the present she glanced towards Dexter than away, the only good thing about this reuion was that she was alive now...

-----

Dexter stood up and fixed the handgun in his waistband. Walking over to the group, he stood back a few feet and watched. Listening to everyone he couldn't decide whether this would get them all killed, or would actually work that they got to eat. Either way Dex didn't mind, he was hungry and thirsty and needed to fix that now.

If this had just been another day, he would have hussled in some cash and gone to get those things. But it looked like those times were over.

ash_minx

Post by ash_minx » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 pm

Alenas had an emotionless expression as always. She knew quite a bit about each person that she hid out with already. She doubted any of them knew about her personality disorder since they haven't been acting up lately. Her brown eyes watched everyone cloesly as she sat on the floor. Her back was against the wall as she held her backpack close to her. She knew that because of her situation, her things were only for emergencies.

Alenas stood and walked to the conversing group, her eyes peering over someone's shoulder. Something clicked inside her as she looked at the map. "There. That's where we need to go. I know that place. It's the most likely place to still have the supplies and good we need. We need to move quickly." Her finger was touching a question mark on the map. It was at the very edge of the barrier where the radiation was.

Al was now present. A change in tone and posture had occurred as the adventurous girl came out. She tied her long red hair up, making her look more serious. She put her backpack on and nodded towards the group. "Are you coming or not? Everyone here will die if we don't get moving now. We need to start sending groups out everyday to scavenge. This isn't enough for how many people are here. We'll divide the strongest. Half stay here and keep watch, the other half will go out with me to scavenge. Biker girls can stay. Who else will stay?" Al was a very serious and commanding woman. Her mind was filled with every survival tactic that the personality had learned. In fact, Al could fight fairly well with hand to hand. She was better with guns though, it made her more secure. Her brown eyes watched everyone, waiting for decisions.
"Dreams are certainly nice, but aren't nightmares more exciting?"