The Watch: Raising Steam

Rebellious_Soul

Re: The Watch: Raising Steam

Post by Rebellious_Soul » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:35 pm

Darryl sat at a table in the tea shop he and the rest of the horde had booked it to earlier. He was sipping tea, but it kind of tasted funny to him, so he would distort his face whenever he took a sip.
So pull me close, as we dance around Hellfire... We're just Ghosts anyway...

Trooper FN-86
Member+

Post by Trooper FN-86 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Vincent sat across from darryl, looking at the others but not drinking anything. He sincerely hoped that he wasn't insulting anyone but he physically couldn't drink it even if he wanted to. He wasn't sure how this disguise would handle tea passing through his bones, but he didn't want to find out.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:07 pm

There was a street market on the other side. That was something Rincewind remembered later about Hunghung; as soon as there was a space, any kind of space, even the space created by the passage of a cart or a mule, people flowed into it, usually arguing with one another at the tops of their voices over the price of a duck which was being held upside down and quacking.
His foot went through a wicker cage containing several chickens, but he pressed on, scattering people and produce. In an Ankh-Morpork street market something like this would have caused some comment, but since everyone around him already seemed to be screaming into other people’s faces Rincewind was merely a momentary and unremarked nuisance as he half ran, half limped with one squawking foot past the stalls.
Behind him, the people flowed back. There may have been some cries of pursuit, but they were lost in the hubbub.
He didn’t stop until he found an overlooked alcove between a stall selling songbirds and another purveying something that bubbled in bowls. His foot crowed.
He smashed it against cobbles until the cage broke; the cockerel, maddened by the heady air of freedom, pecked him on the knee and fluttered away.
There were no sounds of pursuit. However, a battalion of trolls in tin boots would have had trouble making themselves heard above a normal Hunghung street market.
He let himself get his breath back.
Well, he was his own man again. So much for the Red Army. Admittedly he was in the capital city, where he didn’t want to be, and it was only a matter of time before something else unpleasant happened to him, but it wasn’t actually happening at the moment. Let him find his bearings and five minutes’ start and they could watch his dust. Or mud. There was a lot of both, here.
Just when he thought he was safe, something hard knocked him in the back of the head and his whole world went dark....

“So where do we go now Mister Cohen?”
Asked Char.
“Into the Imperial Palace M’boy, I’ll take the lead.”
Replied Cohen.

Cohen was familiar with city gates. He’d broken down a number in his time, by battering ram, siege gun, and on one occasion with his head.
But the gates of Hunghung were pretty damn good gates. They weren’t like the gates of Ankh-Morpork, which were usually wide open to attract the spending customer and whose concession to defense was the sign “Thank You For Not Attacking Our City. Bonum Diem.” These things were big and made of metal and there was a guardhouse and a squad of unhelpful men in black armor.
“Teach?”
“Yes, Cohen?”
“Why’re we doing this? I thought we were going to use the invisible duck the mice use.”
Mr. Saveloy waggled a finger.
“That’s for the Forbidden City itself. I hope we’ll find that inside. Now, remember your lessons,”
he said.
“It’s important that you all learn how to behave in cities.”
“I know how to bloody well behave in cities,” said Truckle the Uncivil.
“Pillage, ravish, loot, set fire to the damn place on your way out. Just like towns only it takes longer.”
“That’s all very well if you’re just passing through,”
said Mr. Saveloy,
“but what if you want to come back next day?”
“It ain’t bloody well there next day, mister.”
“Gentlemen! Bear with me. You will have to learn the ways of civilization!”
People couldn’t just walk through. There was a line. And the guards gathered rather offensively around each cowering visitor to examine their papers.
And then it was Cohen’s turn.
“Papers, old man?”
Cohen nodded happily, and handed the guard captain a piece of paper on which was written, in Mr. Saveloy’s best handwriting:

‘WE ARE WANDERING MADMEN WHO HAVE NO PAPERS. SORRY.’

The guard’s gaze lifted from the paper and met Cohen’s cheerful grin.
“Indeed,”
he said nastily.
“Can’t you speak, grandfather?”
Cohen, still grinning, looked questioningly at Mr. Saveloy. They hadn’t rehearsed this part.
“Foolish dummy,”
said the guard.
Mr. Saveloy looked outraged.
“I thought you were supposed to show special consideration for the insane!”
he said.
“You cannot be insane without papers to say you’re insane,”
said the guard.
“Oh, I’m fed up with this,”
said Cohen.
“I said it wouldn’t work if we came across a thick guard.”
“Insolent peasant!”
“I’m not as insolent as my friends here,”
said Cohen.
The Horde nodded.
“That’s us, flatfoot.”
“Bum to you.”
“Whut?”
“Extremely foolish soldier.”
“Whut?”
The captain was taken aback. Deeply ingrained in the Agatean psyche was the habit of obedience. But even stronger was a veneration of one’s ancestors and a respect for the elderly, and the captain had never seen anyone so elderly while still vertical. They practically were ancestors. The one in the wheelchair certainly smelled like one.
“Take them to the guardhouse!”
he shouted.
The Horde let themselves be manhandled, and did it quite well while the Watch looked on. Mr. Saveloy had spent hours training them in this, since he knew he was dealing with men whose response to a tap on the shoulder was to turn around and hack off someone’s arm.
It was crowded in the guardhouse, with the Horde and the guards and with Mad Hamish’s wheelchair. One of the guards looked down at Hamish, glowering under his blanket.
“What do you have there, grandfather?”
A sword came up through the cloth and stabbed the guard in the thigh.
“Whut? Whut? Whutzeesay?”
“He said, ‘Aargh!,’ Hamish,”
said Cohen, a knife appearing in his hand. With one movement his skinny arms had the captain in a lock, the knife at his throat.
“Whut?”
“He said, ‘Aargh!’”
“Whut? I ain’t even married!”
Cohen put a little more pressure on the captain’s neck.
“Now then, friend,” he said. “You can have it the easy way, see, or the hard way. It’s up to you.”
“Blood-sucking pig! You call this the easy way?”
“Well, I ain’t sweatin’.”
“May you live in interesting times! I would rather die than betray my Emperor!”
“Fair enough.”
It took the captain only a fraction of a second to realize that Cohen, being a man of his word, assumed that other people were too. He might, if he had time, have reflected that the purpose of civilization is to make violence the final resort, while to a barbarian it is the first, preferred, only and above all most enjoyable option. But by then it was too late. He slumped forward.
“I always lives in interestin’ times,”
said Cohen, in the satisfied voice of someone who did a lot to keep them interesting.
He pointed his knife at the other guards. Mr. Saveloy’s mouth was wide open in horror.
“By rights I should be cleanin’ this,”
said Cohen.
“But I ain’t goin’ to bother if it’s only goin’ to get dirty again. Now, person’ly, I’d as soon kill you as look at you but Teach here says I’ve got to stop doin’ that and become respectable.”
One of the guards looked sideways at his fellows and then fell on his knees.
“What is your wish, o master?”
he said.
“Ah, officer material,”
said Cohen.
“What’s your name, lad?”
“Nine Orange Trees, master.”
Cohen looked at Mr. Saveloy.
“What do I do now?”
“Take them prisoner, please.”
“How do I do that?”
“Well…I suppose you tie them up, that sort of thing.”
“Ah. And then cut their throats?”
“No! No. You see, once you’ve got them at your mercy, you’re not allowed to kill them.”
The Silver Horde, to a man, stared at the ex-teacher.
“I’m afraid that’s civilization for you,” he added.
“But you said the sods haven’t got any bloody weapons!”
said Truckle.
“I know, just please bear with me on this!”
Said the Saveloy, Exasperated.
“Fine, all of you, lock yourselves up in that cell there and give us all your weapons.”
Said Cohen, when the Horde went out to meet the watch, they came carrying exotic weaponry.
“A little something for all of you.”
Said Cohen as he gave them Agatean repeating crossbows.

Rebellious_Soul

Post by Rebellious_Soul » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Once Cohen and the horde returned, they gifted everyone repeating crossbows. Darryl examined his for a moment before clipping the bolts to his satchel and, using a rope, hung the crossbow over his shoulder. "I wager that we'll not have another problem?" Darryl asked, looking at Cohen

Eragon
Bronze

Post by Eragon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:48 am

Eragon rejected his one and said, “Ima stick with my monster, not that little needler.” He quicklycompared the size of the two and the piecemaker heavily outmatched it.
With great power, comes great electricity bills.

Trooper FN-86
Member+

Post by Trooper FN-86 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:55 am

Vincent awkwardly took the weapon, not really having any way to hold it with his shield and spear in his hands. Eventually be managed to strap the thing to his back. While he did not think he would use it, he was glad to have it. If nothing else it would be a souvineer of there time in this strange land.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:18 am

As Rincewind awoke, he found himself in a dungeon.
“Oh, great, just great.”
He told himself as he sat upright, at least they didn’t chain him to the wall,
“Impossible! The Great Wizard captured?!”
Said a familiar female voice, Rincewind looked out his cell and saw the red army, a bunch of children and the young adult pretty butterfly.
“Oh knock it off you! Where did you ever get the idea I was a great wizard! I prefer a nice simple quiet life but I keep ending up in these kinds of situations!”
Ranted Rincewind.
“It says here in the manifest!”
Said Lotus blossom, who tossed him a book, although book would be pushing it though as the thing was just pieces of paper bound together by string. Rincewind decided give it a read.
“What I did on my holidays.”
Read Rincewind. Most of it was written in Agatean, and despite his mastery of the language, he has trouble reading the texts due to it meaning different things if read out if context, he tried to make certain of what he was reading and realized to his horror that the book was a chronicle of his previous adventures with Twoflower the Tourist, and they all painted him as a might wizard.
“TWOFLOWER!”
Exclaimed Rincewind, for once in his life, seething with rage.
“Yes?”
Called out a voice in another cell.

A guard stood at his post just outside the palace gates, he was rather tired and kept dozing off until he felt something on his neck.
“Good morning,”
said Mr. Saveloy.
“I should just point out that Ghenghiz here is, despite appearances, a remarkably honest man. He finds it hard to understand empty bravura. May I venture to suggest therefore that you refrain from phrases like ‘I would rather die than betray my Emperor’ or ‘Go ahead and do your worst’ unless you really, really mean them. Should you wish for mercy, a simple hand signal will suffice. I strongly advise you not to attempt to nod.”
The guard then gave a thumbs up and Cohen eased the blade on his neck.
“Now then, we are seeking a friend of ours, the Great Wizard Rincewind, have you by any chance seen him?”
“They took a foreigner into the dungeons earlier, I swear that’s all I know.”
Whimpered the guard.
“Very well then, now, could you kindly give us your armor?”
Said Cohen, the guard complied, on the other end of the gate, the Watch also got the armor off the other guard.
“Thank you for your cooperation, now please feel free to get some sleep.”
Said Mr. Saveloy as Cohen bopped the man on the head as soon as he removed his armor, the Watch did the same.
In a few moments, Vimes and Marrow were wearing the Agatean armor, which fortunately covered their faces.
“Alright then, this is where we part ways.”
Said Cohen.
“I wish you the best of luck in finding Rincewind, but we have a great prize to steal.”
He added.
“Safe travels then Genghiz.”
Said Vimes.
The two groups then split up.

Rebellious_Soul

Post by Rebellious_Soul » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Darryl nodded a goodbye to the elderly men. "To the dungeons we go?" He asked.

Eragon
Bronze

Post by Eragon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Eragon was kinda glad they are gone. They are disgusting and make an annoying amount of noise. Not to mention he had no idea who they even are still.
“Yeah get out of here... I mean nice to meet you now goodbye.”
That was a kind thing to say right?
With great power, comes great electricity bills.

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:46 am

As the watch marched in the halls of the Imperial palace, they started to wonder why they haven’t seen a single soul for hours.
“It’s quiet, too quiet.”
Said Sam feeling a bit of unease.
As they marched on, they came across a very ornate door that was slightly open, Sam took point and slowly opened it, as he did, he found a very ancient, and very dead man on a large bed.
“Who was he?”
Asked Char.
Footsteps could be heard and the Watch turned to the direction of the sound and saw a regal looking man, a noble of some sort, and some guards.
“The Gweilo have killed the Emperor! Seize them!”
Shouted the man, Vimes then fired his crossbow at them, wounding some of the guards, only to then see more guards heading their way, brandishing crossbows as well.
“Everybody! We need a defensive position!”
Said Vimes, all of a sudden, Rincewind and a group of children and one adult ran past them.
“After that Wizard!”
Shouted Vimes as they chased after Rincewind.

As the two groups ran, Vimes had some questions for Rincewind.
“What happened here? Why was that man dead?”
“If you must know, a certain Lord Hong is trying to seize power, he killed the Emperor and is trying to shift the blame on the Red Army and Foreigners!”
“Typical nobility, any place we can use as a defensive position?”
“There is a pagoda nearby oh great warrior.”
Said Lotus Blossom, the Watch followed them to a pagoda in the gardens of the palace, Vimes bolted the door shut behind them.
“Eragon, take your piecemaker and go to the highest floors, Marrow, Aznavour, break the windows and shoot anything that moves, Carrot, Angua, take position in the middle levels to provide support, I’ll stay down here in cas—.”
Before Vimes could finish, he saw some familiar faces in the Pagoda as well as some unfamiliar ones,
“Ghengiz?”
Asked Vimes, it was the Horde and what Vimes assumed were their hostages.
“Oh, hello there my boy! We did it! We finally did it! We stole it!”
Said Cohen as he approached the group.
“Stole what?”
Asked Vimes, feeling like he isn’t going to like the answer but needs to know anyway.
“Why, we just stole the throne of the Agatean Empire of course! The Emperor is dead, and I’m the oldest thing around for miles, which makes me, the new Emperor.”
Answered Cohen.