The Watch: Raising Steam

Trooper FN-86
Member+

Re: The Watch: Raising Steam

Post by Trooper FN-86 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Still undead Vincent did not need to sleep, but enjoyed some of the things his disguise offered he didn't even know he missed. Simple things like blinking. Being able to close your eyes from the world and see nothing but darkness...he hadn't been able to do that for ages. It was nice, relaxing to not stare at a wall all night.

The next morning, as usual, Vincent had grown bored of waiting and went exploring. He tried to be cautious, sticking to the inn and avoiding other people. He did this until it was time to leave, and followed the others without much to say.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:16 am

“Okay, we should be able to make camp later, I’m surprised we haven’t encountered anybody on these roads.”
Said Cohen stroking his beard.
“That’s odd indeed, even merchants of ill repute would use these roads but we haven’t seem a single soul going to and from Titipu or Hochisock.”
Said Savelloy.
“Whut?”
“We haven’t seen anybody, Hamish!”
“Preposterous! I’ve seen eyes following us since we left the village!”
Said Mad Hamish,
The group froze in their tracks and readied their weapons,
“Whoever is watching us, show yourselves!”
Said Cohen in both english and Hunhungese.
Out of the woods stepped out a a woman and a group of other people, mostly children and teenagers.
“Spit it out lass, who are you?”
Said Cohen.
“We are the Red Army, oh Wise Ancestor, I am Pretty Butterfly and this is my younger sister Lotus Blossom.”
Said the girl leading them.
“Ah, I heard about you lot, trying to throw the Emperor and all that.”
Said Cohen.
“You seem like mighty warriors, and the great Wizard Rincewind is with you, we overheard you at the teahouse.”
“How?”
“We are a traveling theater,”
she said.
“It is convenient. Noh actors are allowed to move around.”
“Aren’t they?”
said Rincewind.
“You do not understand. We are Noh actors.”
“Oh, you weren’t too bad.”
“Great Wizard, ‘Noh’ is a non-realist symbolic form of theater employing archaic language, stylized gestures and an accompaniment of flutes and drums. Your pretence of stupidity is masterly. So much so that I could even believe that you are no actor.”
“I’m afraid you have the wrong man, I am no great Wizard.”
Said Rincewind.
“Your Humility is astounding oh great Wizard.”
Said Pretty Butterfly.
“We have seen you turn this old ancestor into a warrior capable of striking down armored Samurai, and we have seen you turn the large lizard monster and skeleton into people, surely you must be the great Wizard spoken of in our revolutionary book?”
“Book?”
Now Rincewind was curious.
“Yes it is—“
Before Pretty Butterfly continued, she raised her hand as a sign of silence.
“I hear footsteps approaching, we will talk more in our hideout at Hunghung, we will see you there, o great and powerful Wizard.”
With that, the group went back into the forest and dissapeared.
“HungHung huh?”
Said Vimes as he smoked his cigar.
“They must be some army to be able to operate within the capital of the enemy.”
He added.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

Eragon
Bronze

Post by Eragon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:39 am

Eragon kept his crossbow aimed at the other group. He didn’t know them and he had been ambushed enough times to not trust any newcomers.
Great wizard. Ha. I know drake shamans to enter in and out of the dimension at will and others to manipulate arcane.
When they left Eragon kept his crossbow up just in case. Nor did he take a liking to them either. They were spying on them.
Bad tempered, fire breathing, overweight lizards :D :) ;)

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:52 am

As the group continued on, they came across a teahouse.
“Ah, more tea shouldn’t hurt.”
Said Cohen.
“Mr. Cohen sir, I don’t mean to sound rude, but shouldn’t men your age not drink so much?”
Asked Char a but concerned for the Horde.
“Nonsense! We go anywhere when we need to do it!”
“Whut?”
“He said we can do it anywhere Hamish!”
“Oh, alright then.”
With that, Hamish let out a bit of weak flatulence.
“Lets eat!”
“Not so fast Truckle, remember, Cohen said he would handle this one.”
Said Savelloy as Cohen approached a servant.
“Ho, skinny tea wench, give me all your…one tea…and I will give you…this coin…”
He looked around. Mr. Saveloy had his thumb up.
“You want tea, is that it?” said the servant.
“Yes!”
The servant poured one. Cohen’s sword had been hidden in the wheelchair again but the tea servant, in response to some buried acknowledgement, made sure it was a good tea. Then she took the coin. This proved a little difficult, since her customer seemed loath to let go of it.
“Come on, hand it over, venerable one,” said a man, the master of the shop who saw the commotion.
Seven crowded seconds passed.
Then, when they were safely around the corner, Mr. Saveloy said, “Now, everyone: who can tell me what Ghenghiz did wrong?”
“Didn’t say please?”
“Whut?”
“No.”
“Didn’t say thank you?”
“Whut?”
“No.”
“Hit the man over the head with a melon and thumped him into the table and kicked him in the nuts and set fire to his shop and stole all the money?”
“Whut?”
“Correct!” Mr. Saveloy sighed. “Ghenghiz, you were doing so well up to then.”
“He didn’t ort to have called me what he did!”
“But ‘venerable’ means old and wise, Ghenghiz.”
“Oh. Does it?”
“Yes.”
With that, the group had no choice but to continue their quest without any tea.

Rebellious_Soul

Post by Rebellious_Soul » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:21 pm

As they continued, Darryl kept to himself. He was usually towards the back of the group, unless there was trouble, then he would be the first to leap into action. After witnessing the old man Cohen slap a melon over a man's head who had called him wise, Darryl came to understand that Cohen had a temper a lot like his own.
So pull me close, as we dance around Hellfire... We're just Ghosts anyway...

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:48 am

The group then continued until they came across a travellers rest stop, it was one of those out of the way inn’s on the side of the road.
“We’ll stay here for the night, and I’m ashamed to admit it, but I’m afraid I won’t do much good if I handled this, you do it teach.”
Said Cohen referring to Saveloy,
“Well that gold you took should be of use to us after all.”
Sighed Saveloy as he approached the front desk to get them all lodgings.

The Watch were in their room just checking their gear when Angua then asked,
“Do you think its odd?”
“What is Angua?”
Asked Carrot,
“That the Red Army, a rebel army for that matter, operates within the capital of their enemies?”
“They could be pretty good.”
“I don’t think so Char, this whole red army business smells fishier than Dibblers fish and chips.”
Said Angua.
The mere mention of Dibbler cause Char to make a horrid screeching noise with the whetstone on his claymore
“Sorry, bad habit.”
He apologized as he went back to sharpening his blade.

Trooper FN-86
Member+

Post by Trooper FN-86 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:32 am

"Whose to say the red army is really an army..." Vincent said from the corner of the room, looking over his short sword. "...could be a small group. Call themselves 'the red army' to scare the guards and seem bigger. Probably why they were so excited about finding their 'great wizard.' He can finally turn the tide to their favor."
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Rebellious_Soul

Post by Rebellious_Soul » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Darryl shook his head. "I honestly think there is no red army, because these folks don't act like an opposition. And besides, if they were, Hunghung would have crushed them by now." Darryl commented while he was polishing his sword.
So pull me close, as we dance around Hellfire... We're just Ghosts anyway...

Eragon
Bronze

Post by Eragon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:56 am

“They sound like a bunch of little scared girls to me.”
He sat in a corner and plucked his crossbow string. Still feeling miserable about being human.

He mumbled to himself. “Rincewood a great wizard. Heh. They should of seen him when I threatened him. wimpered like a dog he did. Smells like one as well.”
Bad tempered, fire breathing, overweight lizards :D :) ;)

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:17 am

“They think Mr. Rincewind is a great wizard, though I never saw him actually do magical on his own.”
Said Carrot.
“Its not that Rincewind isn’t great, he’s just normal, the Wizards mentioned he isn’t even a real Wizard, although I heard he has a knack for getting himself out of trouble, fastest legs on the disc from what I’ve been told.”
Added Vimes.

The next morning, the group moved on to the town of Titipu,
“Would have thought they would have had wanted posters of us put up by now.”
“Whut?”
“He says why don’t we have wanted posters yet Hamish!”
Said the Horde to each other.
Nobody seems to be batting an eye to the group wearing copper armor, the man in robes, and a group of very old men.
“So how far is Hunghung from here Teach?”
Vimes asked Saveloy.
“Not too far, we shouldn’t have any problem getting in, and I think I recognize a familiar face there.”
Said Saveloy as he pointed to a young girl, Lotus Blossom, who beckoned to them,
“Come quickly!”
She said as the group followed her, she led them to a doghouse, she then lifted it up revealing a flight of stairs, once inside, the group found themselves in a rather cramped passageway, in it were a man, a boy, and Pretty Butterfly,
“Timely Demise To All Enemies!”
said the boy, beaming.
“Yes, that’s lovely.”
Said Rincewind.
“And you’ve brought us to your secret hideout leading to Hunghung, haven’t you?” he said.
Lotus Blossom’s eyes widened.
“Then it are true,” she said, in Rincewind’s own language. “You are the Great Wizard!”
“Oh, you’d be amazed at the things I can foresee,”
said Rincewind despondently.
“You two, go and stable the horses,”
said Butterfly, not taking her eyes off Rincewind. When they’d hurried away, with several backward glances, she walked up to him.
“They believe,”
she said.
“Personally, I have my doubts. But Ly Tin Wheedle says an ass may do the work of an ox in a time of no horses. One of his less convincing aphorisms, I’ve always thought.”
“Thank you. What is a cadre?”
“Have you heard of the Red Army?”
“No. Well…I heard someone shout something…”
“According to legend, an unknown person known only as the Great Wizard led the first Red Army to an impossible victory. Of course, that was thousands of years ago. But the people believe that he—that is, you—will return to do it again. So…there should be a Red Army ready and waiting.”
“Well, of course, a man can get a little stiff after several thousand years—”
Her face was suddenly level with his own.
“Personally I suspect there has been a misunderstanding,”
she hissed.
“But now you’re here you’ll be a Great Wizard. If I have to prod you every step of the way!”
The other two returned. Butterfly went from snarling tiger to demure doe in an instant.
“And now you must come and meet the Red Army,”
she said.
“Won’t they be a little smelly—” Rincewind began, and stopped when he saw her expression.
“The original Red Army was clearly only a legend,”
she said, in fast and faultless Ankh-Morporkian.
“But legends have their uses. You’d better know the legend…Great Wizard. When One Sun Mirror was fighting all the armies of the world the Great Wizard came to his aid and the earth itself rose up and fought for the new Empire. And lightning was involved. The army was made from the earth but in some way driven by the lightning. Now, lightning may kill but I suspect it lacks discipline. And earth cannot fight. But no doubt our army of the earth and sky was nothing more nor less than an uprising of the peasants themselves. Well, now we have a new army, and a name that fires the imagination. And a Great Wizard. I don’t believe in legends. But I believe that other people believe.”
The younger girl, who had been trying to follow this, stepped forward and gripped his arm.
“You come seeing Red Army now,”
she said.
“Forward Motion With Masses!”
said the boy, taking Rincewind’s other arm.
“Does he always talk like that?”
said Rincewind, as he was propelled gently towards a door.
“Three Yoked Oxen does not study,”
said the girl.
“Extra Success Attend Our Leaders!”
“‘Tuppence A Bucket, Well Stamped Down!”’
said Rincewind encouragingly.
“Much Ownership of Means of Production!”
“‘How’s Your Granny Off For Soap?’”
Three Yoked Oxen beamed.
Butterfly opened the door. That left Rincewind outside with the other two.
“Very useful slogans,”
he said, moving sideways just a little.
“But I would draw your attention to the famous saying of the Great Wizard Rincewind.”
“Indeed, I am all ear,” said Lotus Blossom politely.
“Rincewind, he say…Goodbyeeeeeeeee—”
His sandals skidded on the cobbles but he was already traveling fast when he hit the doors, which turned out to be made of bamboo and smashed apart easily.
“Should we—”
Before Char could finish, he noticed the Horde and the Watch were gone as well.
“Good day.”
He said as he hauled buttock out of there.