Winged Ones [Arkania]

Erka97

Re: Winged Ones [Arkania]

Post by Erka97 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:34 am

Jack said his goodbyes as well. He, being both very attractive and the only single group leader, also seemed to have several admirers among those who had gathered to talk to him, a few of which even seemed somewhat annoyed when he went off to help Ophelia rather than remaining to talk with them. Apparently, they were jealous of him helping her and spending time alone with her, whereas he didn't even really seem to register their interest in him. He did, however, notice that some of the guys around him seemed to stare at her. He didn't really blame them; she was obviously quite pretty even by their genetically enhanced standards, and there was something about her attitude that only seemed to add to that. Still, it wasn't his concern at the moment as he followed her to go find a computer.

Walking with her, he nodded when she mentioned how tired James had looked when he came to lecture her about her reckless behavior. "Yeah, he didn't look so good this morning at breakfast. I guess he spent most of last night figuring out who started that fire -and even yelled at him." He said. Not only that, but James also had to deal with the raid, and the move, and the new baby who would be born any day now. No wonder he was tired and stressed.

Once they arrived in the office, Jack sat down in front of the computer, getting on the internet once it finished booting up. It was an old computer, but it would do for looking at the text files they'd be looking at. He logged into the email account he'd sent the files to, downloading the file that contained all of them. It took a while, and he looked over at her.
"Dozens at least, maybe hundreds. I didn't have time to get them all. They have a database for every lab and every experiment in the country. I started with the ongoing ones, though, so hopefully he's in there somewhere." He said.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Fri May 31, 2019 4:31 am

The fact that Jack was extremely good looking and also single, didn’t even cross her mind. Well, she could see how attractive he was, with his chocolate coloured hair and those intense golden eyes of his. All the other females seemed to be smitten with him too. Ophelia had just been so focused on saving her brother, training, and raiding facilities, that she hadn’t even had time to be interested. But there was something that James said to her this morning that suddenly came to the forefront of her thoughts...he had told her that she needed to start living life for herself. Maybe it was time to slow down a little. Of course, she could never stop looking for her brother, but at that moment, she found herself glancing over at Jack as he accessed the internet.

....He was really handsome. The moment he spoke, she snapped out of her reverie and immediately reverted her gaze onto the computer screen. Wow, she was being really weird right now. “Riiight, hundreds of files,” she sighed, regaining her composure. “Where do we even start?” It seemed like a daunting task, especially since all the files were scattered in an unorganized way and none of them were conveniently labelled with Isaac’s ID number either.

Well, they had to start somewhere. Ophelia leaned over and placed her hand on the mouse, clicking and opening the first file. She would end up repeating this many times. An hour passed by, then two, and finally she found something. It wasn’t much, but it was enough to renew her hope. It was the report file on when the facility she had been in was raided. She saw her ID number with the word missing beside it and Isaac’s ID number had the word ‘Detained’ and ‘Pending transfer to a coastal facility.’ The file was old, but it was good news nonetheless.

“I found something!,” she practically screamed in excitement. She abruptly got out of her seat, the blonde turning the entire computer monitor towards Jack so he could see. Leaning over, she placed her finger on the screen where the ID numbers were. “That’s my ID number and this is Isaac’s. He was transferred to a coastal facility,” she beamed. “Now all I have to do is figure out which coastal facility it is and then Isaac will be free.” It narrowed down the search tremendously. “This is such great news!,” she said, ecstatic. “I have to tell Zave and Maya.”

In her happiness, she had reached over and hugged him without even a second thought. “Thanks Jack, this means a lot to me.”

Erka97

Post by Erka97 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:49 am

Jack helped out with the search, reading through files for hours with her. He didn't seem to notice her looking at him, focusing instead on scanning through the file titles for anything useful. There were plenty of ID numbers, even his own, but not the one they were looking for. It was only in a memo about the escape that brought Ophelia to their group when they finally got their first lead. Her brother had been moved to a coastal facility, although which one was not mentioned, and Jack didn't have much knowledge of them; not where they were, how many of them there were, or the conditions there.
They not only had to figure out which one it was, but also if Isaac was even still there, and, if he was, how they were going to get him out of a probably distant lab. He didn't mention it yet, letting her be happy and returning her hug -albeit a bit awkwardly. "You're welcome... I did say I owe you one."

The moment she released him, he was back to work on the computer. "I can't believe I didn't think of this... This will make it a lot easier." He said, typing Isaac's ID number into the file search feature and setting the computer to work. The old computer was slow, and he wasn't sure if more information would be forthcoming besides what they already had, but it was better than manually looking through every file he had gathered -especially since the computer checked the file contents as well as the titles.
He hoped for more results, looking back at her while the computer did its thing.
"So how are you thinking of getting him out, when we do find him? I'm not quite sure which coast they're talking about, but either way that's a several days' trip at least..."

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Fri May 31, 2019 5:12 am

She released him from the hug, thinking nothing more of it for the time being. She was just so happy she finally had a lead on her brother. It was definitely a small lead and it might not get them anywhere, but it was better than nothing. It gave her hope. Ophelia sat on the desk behind them, her eyes on the screen as Jack typed in Isaac’s ID number in the search file. Well that would’ve been better to do from the beginning, but sometimes a thorough search could gleam more information. Unfortunately, the file search came up with nothing more than what they had already learned.

Her legs swayed back and forth as Jack asked her a very logical question. “Well, I...,” she faltered in her words, trying to think of an answer that she didn’t have. “To be honest, I haven’t thought that far ahead yet. I suppose I’ll have to do some reconnaissance and figure out which coast he’s being held at and then which facility...not to mention I’ll have to do some serious breaking and entering....” Her voice trailed off, a look of determined puzzlement on her face. “Maybe I’ll bring in a weapon this time...,” she muttered, more to herself than to him. After a moment, she grinned at him, not bothered by the colossal task at hand.

“You know me, I never did like plans anyway,” she chuckled. “Besides, a trip to the coast wouldn’t be so bad, would it?” It was a bit premature to be thinking that far ahead, but perhaps it would be in the near future. Her eyes wandered to a nearby window. It was clear that it had rained sometime in the last few hours, but it seemed to have stopped for the time being. “I think I’m finished with computer work,” she said, hopping onto her feet and stretching slightly. “Wanna explore the grounds?,” she asked a slightly mischievous look in her eyes.

Erka97

Post by Erka97 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:30 am

Jack wasn't happy to see that the search brought back nothing more than what they already had, and he decided he'd work on it more later. He could at least find the locations of the coastal labs, as he remembered specifically downloading a map of the lab's locations during his first week spying. That would be a start.

"I'll help, with any of it. Seems we make a pretty good team, and you'll need backup for a mission like that." He said. He felt he owed her more than just searching through files he already had anyway, and besides that they'd actually done pretty well securing part of the lab and escaping a fire together -although arguably the success had been mostly on her part, it would be better for her not to go alone on any mission. If she didn't get captured or killed, James would definitely have a fit. He'd STILL have a fit if Jack went with her, probably even more so, but it would be an adventure and she would be less likely to get into serious trouble.

"Sure. See anything on the maps you want to check out?" He said, standing and stretching as well before he grabbed his sweater to go outside. It wasn't raining now, but it still looked unseasonably cold out there.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Fri May 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Her eyes widened in surprise when he stated that he’d personally help her rescue her brother. For a moment she was speechless, unsure of what to say. It’s not everyday that someone willingly volunteers to help her stage a raid, especially one as dangerous as this one. There was a lot of work involved as well, not to mention they’d probably have to travel a long distance. She always thought that because it was so dangerous, she couldn’t ask any one to put their life on the line. So, she accepted she’d have to do it alone, but perhaps this time, she didn’t have to. It was very kind of him, and she found herself smiling in appreciation. “Thanks, that would be great. And you’re right, we kinda do make a good team,” she grinned. If he wanted to help, she wouldn’t turn him away. Plus, she enjoyed his company, believe it or not…which is why she went ahead and asked him if he wanted to come with her to explore the grounds. The planning and preparations would come later, for now, she needed some fresh air.

She also grabbed a sweater, noticing it wasn’t the greatest day out there. But the cold never really bothered her as much as it did others, so she didn’t mind so much. “Hmm, there’s supposed to a large meadow of alpine flowers blooming this time of year,” she pondered, walking towards the nearest exit. Putting on her sweater and sliding her wings though the holes, she turned to face him once more, now walking backwards out the door. “Oh, there’s also a mountain lake near the summit, with almost crystal-clear waters.” Those were the two most popular tourists’ attractions during the off season. The hike to the lake was a day trip at best, but because they were flying, they’d get there much quicker than a normal human walking. Turning around on one foot, she breathed in the fresh air. It was a little muggy from the rain and the clouds blocked some of the sun, but that wouldn’t stop her from flying.

“Any preferences on where you’d like to go?,” she asked, her wings spread to their full length.

Erka97

Post by Erka97 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:00 pm

He grinned as well, "Sounds like an adventure." He said. As much as he liked having a relatively normal life most of the time, it was worlds better than living in the lab, it did get boring at times. That was why he had gone spying on the lab, only to find that in a lot of ways that was even more boring. There was the thrill of avoiding being caught and of helping with the upcoming raid, but it had been a lot of waiting around and doing paperwork and lab tests. Such was the life of a lower level lab employee, and he couldn't say collecting information was much more fun -he did it in the background on his computer there so as to not be caught, so he didn't even get to do any good snooping on what science the scientists were up to these days.
This seemed like it would be different, a possible cross country rescue mission, complete with sneaking into labs and very possibly fighting their way back out. Even just the puzzle of finding her brother had him eager to begin; it was quite the challenge with only an old and vague lab memo to go off from. That, and it was always better with a partner -he'd been pretty lonely at the lab, surrounded only by cold scientists, rude guards, and terrified experiments.

"We can check out the meadow and the lake first, and I think I saw something about a waterfall up near there too. Then we can see what we can find that's interesting on the way back, if we have time." He said as he walked with her, switching out the sweater he had grabbed for one with wing holes. For now he just carried it as he too prepared to take off, not feeling like it was cold enough quite yet to wear it -although it certainly would be if it started raining again or they happened to be out past dark.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Fri May 31, 2019 9:44 pm

Speaking of adventures, they were about to have a little one right then and there. The old ski grounds were very large and because of its state of disrepair, it looked liked nature was once again taking back what was originally hers. It gave the area an interesting atmosphere, like they were in a place where time had stood still. Ophelia was eager to explore all of it and having Jack accompany her was a nice little bonus. “A waterfall,” she asked, unable to hide the excitement in her voice. “I’ve never seen a real waterfall before. We have to find it,” she beamed, spreading her wings and taking to the air. A waterfall was one of the things she had heard about but had never had the pleasure of seeing. There were many things she wanted to see and experience since she had been free of the lab. She had never really told anyone, but she actually had a big bucket list of all the things she wanted to do now that she had her freedom. Maybe today she could cross a waterfall off that list. In the air, she turned to her torso slightly to look back at Jack. “Hurry up!,” she laughed, eager to go.

As she flew her eyes scanned the grounds below, taking in all the sights. There was something about flying that was so freeing and exhilarating. She could think of no better place than flying, with the wind in her hair. Faster and faster she flew, weaving in and out of the clouds and then diving low amongst the trees, before coming back up to catch a wind drift. Her shouts of glee could be heard echoing throughout the area, Ophelia thoroughly enjoying herself. She would then come to fly beside Jack, staring at him with a playful glint in her eyes. “Race you to the top?!,” she asked, issuing a challenge. Oh, this would be fun.

Erka97

Post by Erka97 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:24 pm

Jack took off after her, scanning the ground for any of the locations in question, although clearly the waterfall was the one she was most excited for. He had to agree, he hadn't actually seen a waterfall either. He admittedly wasn't sure where any of these things were, and he could have checked a map before they left, but he felt like it would be more fun to find the places on their own.
From the sky, he could see several others of their kind doing about the same things, walking or flying as they explored their new home, however there were fewer than he had expected due to the weather and the fact that many had already been assigned tasks to do to get the place in working order again. It'd never have to be a ski resort again while they were there, but they needed all the buildings functional at the very least, and already there was talk of keeping food plants and various farm animals now that they had the space -their group was pretty expensive to feed from the store, after all, and they were all quite fond of the idea of being self sufficient as much as they could.

Soon enough, Jack ended up watching her as she flew, diving and shouting as she did made quite a spectacle of herself, but her obvious happiness made him smile. His own pace was more relaxed, very much like a large eagle floating on the winds -at least until she challenged him to a race.
"Sure!" He said, rising in the air and taking off at high speed once the race began. He figured he'd get up as high as was safe, and then drop down for a speed boost at the end. That was, after all, how peregrine falcons seemed to do it -and they were the fastest moving animals around. His size meant he wasn't exactly as fast as they were, but it had been enough to win him plenty of races in the past.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:47 am

Spectacle or not, Ophelia was very happy at the moment and she was not afraid to show it. They had just found a potential lead on her brother’s location, so of course she was going to be elated. Besides, there was nothing wrong with letting loose every now and then. She may have seemed innocent and carefree at the moment, but with the flip of a switch that attitude of hers could show its fangs. Thankfully, that probably wasn’t going to happen anytime soon. Plus Jack had just agreed to a fun little race. The day was just getting more interesting by the minute.

With a huge smile, she chased after him, pumping her wings as fast as she could. At one point she had even maintained the same speed as him, the young woman coming up beside him and laughing. She dove and swirled, using air drifts to her advantage, but not matter how fast she felt like she was going, Jack was faster. He made it look so easy! She was a bit jealous.

The end of their race landed them right in the middle of the alpine flower meadows. “Okay, okay,” she breathed, catching her breath. “You win. Damn, boy. You’re really fast!” It was a good thing they hadn’t made any wagers, because she’d have to pay up. When her breathing finally returned to normal, she could finally take a moment to appreciate their surroundings. The meadow grass came up to her knees and spread out like a sea on either side of her. Dotting the green were thousands of alpine flowers of all sorts of colours, ranging from light reds to deep purples. It was stunning.

She walked forward a little, her eyes bright with wonder, as her fingers gently ran through the flowers. “Beautiful,” she said softly, looking over her shoulder at him.