Winged Ones [Arkania]

Erka97

Re: Winged Ones [Arkania]

Post by Erka97 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:43 am

It seemed that was what the kids and other non-fighters were doing while the raid was going on, helping to move belongings and supplies once Doc got this place all set up for them. That said, Jack didn't seem to have anything there as his group lived in a different and more permanent house most of the time. He just grabbed some new clothes from the pile set out for the new kids, finding a shirt and some sweatpants for now to sleep in. He carried them into one of the upstairs rooms to shower once he was done talking to Ophelia. His eyes were still irritated and looked a bit red around the edge of the usual warm gold of his eyes -the color being very unusual for a person, and therefore having had to be hidden most of the time while he was spying so that the scientists didn't notice- but they felt much better and the steam from the shower also seemed to help.

He washed off the rest of the soot from the fire and other filth from the lab, letting the warm water soothe his many bruises from the fights he'd got in with the guards. He spent some time in the shower before he got out, dried off, and dressed in the new clothes. They weren't the greatest and didn't fit exactly the best, but at least he had pants now.

He left the room, walking past the kids who were already settling into the bedroom area of the hotel-like room. There were several of them sharing the room, which contained two beds, and Jack exchanged greetings with them as he passed by. They weren't kids he knew well, but pretty much everyone knew him.

While James went about figuring out who had started the fire during the raid, the person responsible having apparently decided to avoid taking credit given how angry their leader was, and Doc and his wife tending the sick and injured, James's mate was in charge of getting everyone organized and settled for the night. Emi stood in the middle of the big room where everyone gathered, telling people where they would be sleeping for the night. She, like James, was in her early twenties and seemed to have quite a lot of authority over everyone in the group. She was a taller girl with reddish brown for both her hair and wings and blue eyes, and she was also quite obviously pregnant. It didn't seem to slow her down much as she helped out with herding the youngest kids and assigned rooms to everyone present. She assigned Ophelia to a room and Jack to another when they both came around to see where they would be sleeping, keeping track of where everyone was the best she could in a notebook.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Wed May 29, 2019 9:24 pm

Ophelia remained seated, the young woman in a relaxed state after her long shower. She was a bit sore from all the new bruises and fighting she had to do, but she was thankful that she didn’t have more serious injuries. As she observed the others conversing and doing various tasks, she happened to notice that a few of them had been staring at her. It would be a glance here and there, and some of them even let their stare linger, before looking away and whispering to their friends. Clearly, they knew she was the cause for the early raid. And yes, she knew that there would be repercussions about her rash and selfish decision, but the whispering and staring was getting rather annoying. If they wanted to say something, she’d rather they come out and say it to her face. No doubt some of them even thought that she had started the fire, which was entirely untrue. But since she was guilty of the early raid, why not blame her for that too. Unwillingly, she had become the scapegoat for whomever did start the fire. Her eyes narrowed in a sharp glare at one of the others that she had caught staring, causing the girl to look away in embarrassment.

“Aren’t you the popular one,” came a male voice from beside her. Ophelia glanced over to see a familiar face. “So nice of you to notice, Zavier. Here to blame the fire on me as well?” she grunted, leaning her chin on her hand with a huff. Zavier, or Zave, as he preferred to go by, was an older member of their original group. He was sort of an old friend of hers? They never really hung out on a day to day basis, but they frequently chatted and had the same views. He was tall, around six feet or so, with dark hair that was shorter on the sides and back, and longer at the top. He had a fit, muscular build, with a sleeve of tattoos on his right arm. Zave preferred to keep to himself most of the time as people often thought of him as a bit of a rebel, but he was loyal to the group and had proven himself time and time again. He didn't have wings, but what he lacked in the ability to fly, he made up in brute strength. “Oh I would never,” he chuckled, grinning. “It’s not your style. Besides, it was about time we did the raid. I’m glad at least someone decided to take the initiative,” he said with a wink. Ophelia glanced over to him, a small subtle smile on her lips. At least there was one person who wasn’t currently looking down on her. Just then, Emi entered the room and began to organize everyone’s sleeping arrangements.

“Just what I need, someone telling me where I can and can’t sleep,” grumbled Zave, with a sigh. Still, he acquiesced to the assigned area Emi had given him without argument and left to crash for the night. Ophelia grinned at his mutterings and followed the crowd that was gathering around Emi, so she could finally see where she would be sleeping tonight. It was here that she bumped into Jack. “Oh hey Jack,” she said, eyeing his sweats. He was fully dressed now. “Nice pants,” she said, with a teasing smile. It was all in good fun, of course. When Emi finally looked to her, Ophelia was surprised she was assigned a bedroom to herself. “Oh…thanks,” she said, in a minor state of disbelief. She thought she’d for sure be punished for what she had done, by being assigned a room with the loudest snorers. It was a pleasant surprise that wasn’t the case. “What room did you get,” she asked Jack, curious.

Erka97

Post by Erka97 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Jack checked on the kids he had rescued while he waited to be assigned somewhere to sleep, as they were currently being seen by Doc. They were alright, besides being scared, a bit underfed, and smoky or slightly burned from the fire. The youngest of the group, the little girl he'd tried to rescue first, apparently didn't even have a proper name. Doc's wife was talking with her on the subject when Jack came over, and he had to admit it angered him. He'd known the scientists didn't give them names, and she was apparently too young to have found one for herself, but it was still cruel and sad. The girl seemed to have warmed up to Mrs.Ellis immediately, latching onto her as probably the first bit of motherly affection she'd received in a very long time -perhaps her whole life.

Jack went over with the others when Emi appeared with her notebook, waiting at the edge of the group as most everyone else got sorted out first. He saw Ophelia talking to one of the older non-fliers from James's pack, and found himself idly wondering how close they were. Was that her mate? He guessed probably not, since they didn't seem quite that close and he'd seen others staring at her. Perhaps he was one of them as he considered this, but luckily she made no mention of it as she too came up to get her room assignment for the night and commented on his pants.
"Hey," He smiled in return despite her teasing, "I see you don't look so bad yourself now. No more raccoon face." He said, returning his own comment on her post-raid appearance. She'd definitely looked kind of funny with the soot just around her eyes, like a stereotypical thief if not a raccoon, and he wondered if it stung her eyes as badly as it had his.
Emi smiled to her as she went on assigning rooms, hearing her thanks. Even though she had done some reckless things today, she'd also saved Jack twice -as well as many of the new rescues. She was rewarded with a room of her own for the night, although James would definitely be speaking to her in the morning; hopefully after he dealt with the still un-named fire starter.
Jack told her his floor and room number when she asked. It was the same floor as hers, but a different room, and he had to share with another guy and two younger boys. It wasn't too bad, as he knew the rooms had two beds in them as well as a couch big enough for the kids. Emi hadn't even told him exactly who he was staying with before she moved off to figure out rooms for the younger kids, something that took extra work seeing as many would need baths before bed and couldn't be counted on to wash themselves.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Thu May 30, 2019 2:41 am

It wasn't a suprise to her to see that Jack's room was on the same floor as hers. She assumed that Emi had purposely put the older ones of the group together. But it was still nice to know where his room was, as Ophelia had plans to seek him out tomorrow morning to go through the files he had stolen from the scientists. They walked upstairs together and came to the floor where their rooms were, which were evidently on opposite ends of the hall. "Well, goodnight Jack," she said, flashing him a small smile. They were both tired and her bed was calling her. Ophelia got to her room and saw it was rather small, with only a single sized bed in there. But she liked it. It was cozy and cute, and all hers for the night. As soon as her head hit the pillow, she had fallen into a deep sleep.

~ ~ ~ ~

Ophelia must have been extremely tired when she had went to bed, because it was well into the morning and she was still sleeping. Easy to do when there was no one else in the room to make noise that would wake her up. The majority of the others were already into breakfast and there was still no sign of Ophelia. Even Zave found it odd that she wasn't there yet. Usually she'd sleep in a little bit here and there, but she was never this late. She'd totally miss out on all the good selections of breakfast. Ahhh, well.

The bed was just so comfy. She was currently hidden under the large fluffy comforter. The only evidence she was under there was the subtle rise and fall of the blanket and a single foot sticking out from a corner. Surely someone would be kind enough to wake her up?

Erka97

Post by Erka97 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:01 am

Jack returned the smile and bid her goodnight as well, retreating to his room. There he found that he was sharing the room with his friend Eli as well as two young boys from James's group by the names of Danny and Ace. They were both around eight and luckily went to sleep for the night without much trouble.
Jack was exhausted, barely talking to his friend at all before falling asleep on one of the beds. Eli didn't mind too much, as he was tired as well.
------------
They woke up the next morning quite early, as the two kids were up and noisily beginning their day, not in the least bit tired from the raid they hadn't been allowed to go on. In fact, they seemed to find it great fun to question the barely-awake older guys about it at great length as soon as they opened their eyes. Jack sighed and answered their questions, leading everyone down for breakfast when it became clear that nobody in the room was getting any more sleep that morning. He envied Ophelia, with her room all to herself, and wasn't surprised at first when he didn't see her. He would have slept in too if he were her, but eventually he started getting concerned. He'd already helped prepare food and eaten, and yet she still wasn't around. He'd seen basically everyone else, but she still was nowhere to be found. Odd.

James started his day by helping out with breakfast, and then after that was done he went looking for Ophelia. He still had to have a talk with her, and eventually ended up knocking rather loudly on the door to her room when he couldn't find her anywhere else. Standing there, he still looked pretty tired. They'd got in and settled late last night, and then he had had to spend even longer questioning people until somebody finally told him who started that fire. It was one of the younger and newer guys in his group, a fifteen year old by the name of Max, who had become known for a fascination with fire and explosions and seemed to believe they could be used in the fight against the labs. James had already told him that was too dangerous, but apparently he hadn't listened. James spent most of the rest of the night scolding and lecturing the boy, eventually assigning him dish duty for the forseeable future before he slunk off to the room he shared with Emi. He only got a few hours of sleep, but he couldn't really sleep in -a leader always had things to do, and unlike his heavily pregnant mate he really didn't have a good excuse to put off his responsibilities. His mood suffered and he definitely planned to turn in as early as possible tonight, but until then he went about his day and tried to get as much done as possible.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Thu May 30, 2019 5:41 am

Ophelia woke from her sleep with an abrupt startle, the young woman shooting out of bed, wings spread as she hovered in the air. Only she totally overshot that jump and ultimately hit the top of her head against the ceiling. "Ow," she said with a cringe. She slowly landed, her hand rubbing her head, eyes coming to rest on the loud banging coming from the door. She usually wasn't so jittery, but it had something to do with the dream she was having. It was one of those realistic dreams where you questioned if it was real or not. But like most of her dreams, she found she couldn't remember what it was about the moment she woke up...she could only remember the emotions and feelings that came with it.

This dream was full of sadness, a heavy feeling weighing in her chest. Ophelia had walked to answer the door, her mind still lost in thought. To her surprise, it was James standing there. "Oh," she said, in a defeated sort of tone. This was the lecture she had been avoiding. Before she could say anything else, her brow furrowed in confusion when she realized her eyes were wet. She reached up with her fingers and dabbed them to confirm there really were tears there. Ophie quickly and rather embarrassingly wiped her eyes dry. "It was a stupid dream...," she muttered, lips pursed. Great, now James would probably think she was a big weakling. No one ever saw her cry...least of all their leader.

Taking a deep breath, she sighed and moved over so he could enter the room. She'd rather not have an audience during this conversation. When he had entered, she shut the door behind her and smiled sheepishly. "I don't suppose this can wait until after breakfast?," she asked, feigning innocence. One look at the clock told her that it was a little late for breakfast. Now she just looked defeated. "....nevermind."

Erka97

Post by Erka97 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:20 am

James looked somewhat concerned as he entered the room, noticing that she did look upset. He nodded when she said it was a dream, "We all have them," He said. That was true enough; bad dreams were one of the most common side effects of being born and raised in the lab as they were, and they ranged from sad to terrifying depending on the day and on the person. Even he struggled with them, but as the leader he didn't let many people see that side of him -on worse days he opted to spend his time alone with Emi, instead leaving Jack or one of the other older kids in charge for the day. Most of them understood without him having to share his reasons, and for that he was grateful.

"You missed breakfast, but I'll try to make this quick so you can go find something to eat." He went on, watching her as he stood by the door. He and Jack really did look very similar, sharing a father -at least biologically speaking,- although James's eyes were darker and closer to being truly brown than Jack's gold. Their features were also somewhat different, and James's wings had distinct black barring on his flight feathers, a detail that was barely visible as he stood, wings folded, in the dim light of the room she had slept in. He sighed, preparing himself for a lecture that he got a feeling probably wouldn't be followed. Oh well, he had to try.

"You need to stop being so reckless," He began, getting right to the point. At least he wasn't the type of leader to yell; although admittedly he had at Max last night -his throat was still slightly sore from that. "You could have got yourself killed at least twice yesterday, probably more, and because of you we had to do the raid earlier than planned. Other people could have died too, or we could have been captured. We needed time to plan and prepare, and we didn't have that because we had to go after you even after I told you to wait because it was too dangerous. It was the same with the fire. You were lucky you pulled those off as well as you did, but someday it won't go so well if you keep doing things like that, and somebody will end up getting badly hurt."
James didn't seem to be in his best form today, looking and sounding exhausted and even a bit ill as he spoke. As much as he tried to hide it, the lack of sleep and stress of the last few days were really getting to him.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Thu May 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Having recovered from her embarrassing tear-fest, she leaned against the room’s dresser, her hands back and gripping the edge of the wood. Here it was, the lecture she knew was going to happen one way or the other. She listened to his words carefully, her eyes meeting his as she understood the seriousness of her actions. What he said was true. She was reckless, more so than she realized. It had always been something she had struggled with and she would honestly try to be better at remembering that every action had consequences. When James had finished speaking, she nodded in understanding, a genuinely apologetic look on her face. “I understand,” she said, looking away now. “I know I’m reckless and others shouldn’t have to suffer the consequences of that…,” she breathed. “I’ll try to tone it down a bit, after all, I can’t really get myself killed before rescuing Isaac. It’s just that…. every time a potential lead to finding my brother presents itself, I become narrow sighted and lose all my patience, which is why I left to infiltrate the facility earlier than planned. You didn’t have to come after me with the entire raid, but I’m very glad that you did. Somehow, everything worked out in the end, huh?”

There was a moment of silence, before she raised her hands in a defensive manner. “Not that I’m using that as an excuse to justify my actions, or anything…,” she said, with a nervous chuckle. Taking a breath, she nodded again with composure. “So, let me just finish by saying I’m sorry. And I’ll take any punishment you feel is necessary.” She needed to stop rambling before she embarrassed herself even more. Ophelia had never been good at spewing out her honest feelings, but hey, she tried her best. “And might I add, oh fearless leader, you look exhausted. You should get some sleep!” Whatever punishment James had bestowed upon her, Ophelia would complete it without complaint. She was mature enough to admit she was wrong and own up to her mistakes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When her conversation with James ended and he had left, Ophelia proceeded to get ready for the day. She got dressed in a pair of light coloured, skinny jeans, paired with a white tank top that was cinched under her breasts and flowed out slightly towards the end. It had a low enough cut in the back that her wings had plenty of room to move freely. Today she decided to wear her hair down, her blonde locks falling in slight waves to her mid back. Putting on her shoes, she left her room and finally descended to the common area where a few people were still puttering about. Her green eyes scanned who was there and she immediately saw Jack with a few of his friends, along with Zave and her other good friend, Maya. Ophie gave Jack a friendly wave, with the intention of speaking to him after she ate, before turning and sitting at the table that Zave was at. Zave merely looked at her once, before his grey eyes went back to the opened newspaper in his hand. Gosh, he was like an old man sometimes.

“Here, saved you some breakfast. You’re welcome,” he said, keeping his eyes down on the paper. “Ohhh I knew you’d pull through for me!!,” she squealed in delight, having eyed up the plate of food from the top of the stairs. She immediately began to attack the food, like she was starving. It was at this point that Maya joined them. She was a sweet girl, a bit younger than Ophelia, with chocolate coloured hair and brown, doe like eyes. She was a non-flier as well. Maya sidled up next to Ophelia and began to ask her all about the raid yesterday and demanded every detail. Maya admired Ophelia a lot for some reason, but Ophie didn’t mind and was happy to regal her with tales of the raid.

Eventually Maya had to leave due to her being on dish duty. Zave also had to leave, stating something about having to fix some generator at some cabin up the mountain? He had always been good with engines and machines, so he was the go-to person when they had engine problems. Now alone and having finished her late breakfast, she finally decided to see Jack. She didn’t want to disturb his time with his friends, but he did say that he would help go through the files he had obtained at the facility. “Hey!,” she began, with a smile. “Busy? I was wondering if this was a good time to go through some of those files? If not, I’ll hunt you down later.” Literally.

Erka97

Post by Erka97 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:54 am

"I know. Some of it was my decision, and it did go better than expected. Still, it was pretty dangerous." James had said, looking at her as he stood near the door. "And I know you want to find your brother. That's understandable, many of us have someone we'd like to find, but you should also be living your life, too." He said. She seemed so focused on finding her brother, and while he understood, he still thought she should also be living her own life -especially when they didn't have any definite leads.
James took his leave a short while later, having many different things to check on as they began work on their new home.
-
After breakfast, Jack had taken more clothes from the pile and changed into jeans and a dark blue shirt that was cut in the back for his wings. While it wasn't too uncommon for the males in the group to go shirtless, especially those with wings, he had looked out the window earlier in the morning to see that today was not going to be a warm day. The sky was grey and cloudy, holding within it the threat of rain that only grew as the day went on. He even grabbed a grey sweater to wear over his wings should he have to go outside, feeling glad for the heat inside the building after a month working in the perpetual cold of the lab.
Dressed, he went back down to the main room and settled in to talk to some of his friends, telling them about the time he had spent spying on the lab. Others joined the table as he spoke, as it seemed many were interested to hear what the lab was like when one wasn't locked up in a cell somewhere waiting to be experimented on. He was so busy telling the others about his experiences that he didn't notice Ophelia had arrived, until she approached his table to ask if he would go through the files with her.
"No, that's fine. We'll just need to find a computer." He said, standing. As much as he liked his friends, he was ready for an excuse to be done talking about spying on the lab, and given the number of younger kids who were gathering he felt as if he would never escape if he didn't do so now.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Fri May 31, 2019 3:09 am

“Great, that’s awesome,” she said, smiling. She appreciated that he was willing to help her. Ophelia waved good-bye at everyone at the table, flashing them her charming smile. It was no secret that Ophelia was quite attractive, some of the younger ones waving back at her a little too eagerly. As the two if them walked away, she pondered where they could find a computer to use. “Hmm, do you think there will be one in the main office or front desk? There has to be a few of them there.” As an old ski resort, their chances of finding a computer were pretty good.

The front desk was on the opposite side of the building, so the walk gave them a moment to talk. “James gave me that lecture this morning,” she said, with a wry grin. “It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. He seemed really tired.” They were currently passing down a hall with large glass windows that overlooked a forest themed, mossy garden. The grey clouds in the sky were visible and it looked like it was going to rain soon. Oddly enough, Ophelia enjoyed a good thunder storm...it just wasn’t nice to fly in one. And now, she’d have to wait even longer before she could explore the property, something she was quite eager to do.

Before long, they reached the front office and low and behold, there were several computers to choose from. She stood in front of a random computer and turned it on. She gestured for Jack to sit at the chair in front of the computer, while she took the one beside it. “...sooo just how many files are there?,” she asked, fearing the worst.