The New World: The Truth

JoJoTheClown
Silver

The New World: The Truth

Post by JoJoTheClown » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Another story from the New World series.

Eden, Colorado

Its been a year since the world ended, maybe longer. Ive lost track of my days, rotting in this unforgiving prison cell. Sentenced to death by the cruelty of the wasteland. My death is of my own doing, risking it to save outsiders. Some who wouldnt do the same for me. The leader of this place, Harold. He's been planning something.. too bad I wont be around to see it.

"Alright Miller, its time." A gravely solid voice called out from the other side of the cell door. Three other men with coats and hoods on stood behind him as the door opened, all of the restraining the man, tying his hands behind his back. Another rope was tightly slipped around his neck, behind held by the grabely voice man to lead Miller out the door.

Small droplets of rain pattered on the ground as they exited the building. Two guards stepped in front as they walked, and two behind. Millers eyes followed the two in front as they fell in to their makeshift formation. He limped with each step, his injuries causing permanent damage to his back and legs. The rain picked up as they walked throught the open street, visibility slowly becoming an issue. -Maybe i can make a break for it..- Miller thought as the guard holding the rope came to a sudden stop, motioning for them to take the alleyway instead of continuing straight up the road. Miller could feel his hear beating in his ears as the small group entered the aey. This was it, now or never.

What happened next, happened almost too fast for Miller to comprehend. A hard shove from behind sent him tumbling to the ground, splashing in a puddle as he rolled. Sounds of a scuffle and muffled screams were almost drowned out bt the sound of the rain. The former FBI agent didnt waste any time, and tried to take advantage of the confusing situation, slipping his hands to the front over his feet, and pulling the rope from his neck. A Miller rolled to get up, three of the guards were already on the ground, blood pooling in the water beneath them. "What the.. fuck." He mumbled as his eyes searched for the fourth guard in the rain. "Lets go, we dont have much time." The guard spoke up, his voice sounding odly familiar.. "David?" Miller questioned as the man moved closer. "Didnt think id leave without you eh? Marines never leave a man behind." David told him as he nudged Miller forward. "Lets move."

--

Miller pressed his back against the door behind him, glanicing out of the broken window make sure to makue sure no one was following them. The pair had taken refuge in the old post office, the center of Eden. Only a block or two from the old hotel. "We cant stay here. We're still close to the center." Miller said lowly as he wiped the water from his face, his clothes dripping into a puddle around him. "How did you even find me? I wasnt even sure you would even make it." Miller admitted as he limped over to the counter, leaning off of his bad side as they caught their breath. Their smartest move would be to wait, but it was risky, without any guns. Although, amiller knew David wouldnt have barged in without a weapon. "Whats our next move, soldier?"

Reznik
Bronze

Re: The New World: The Truth

Post by Reznik » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 pm

David regarded the former FBI agent and looked at him out of the corner of his eye. The former marine stood there by the door like a stone statue as he kept watch out the little window. The soaking wet clothing had little effect on his demeanor, which with how pissed off he was, most normal people would have avoided contact with him all together.

His attention turned back to everything outside. David figured another five minutes before the alarm would be raised, but David already anticipated that.

“I know...I’ve already planned on that. I’m just waiting to see if they fall for my bait on the other side of town...”

David had set up signs in the opposite direction he planned on heading. He already had calculated how far Miller could have gone with his injuries and set up signs to lure the guards in the direction he had wanted. The whole not shaving thing had worked out well, as did his physical training. David had bulked up quite a bit, and his longer hair and full beard, no one recognized him as the marine that arrived in Eden almost a year ago.

“The plan is to get you to a safe house. Once we’re there we’ll start crossing some bridges. You saved me from what little I remember, and I heard you got Haven out of here. For that I owe you, and because of that you’ve earned my trust.”

There was a hint of amusement in his voice as he shook his head. The guards rushed past almost as if on cue in the same general direction David set his decoy up in.

“I’m disappointed Miller...These guys are all muscle with zero brains and tactics....” David seemed very different than before. He even knew it. He tried not to think about that day, as it often resulted in a dibilitating migraine. But something from that day left him cold, and extremely bitter.

“Five minutes and we move out.”

CrashJr
Bronze

Post by CrashJr » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 pm

The sound of children singing filled the small church in the middle of Eden, inside was a large number of people. Most everyone was standing and clapping along to the group of children singing on the stage. A heavyset older man in a suit sits off to the side of the stage and smiles nodding along with the song. However, his mood was about to change as one of the guardsmen stepped over to the man with a sorrowful look.

"Mr. Curtis, Miller...he escaped with the rebels" the man says into Harold's ear.

Harold just smiles and looks at him for a moment before he stands and begins to walk to the back door, but stops for a moment to speak with a younger man in a suit that was standing to the back of the stage. "Yes, Brother Allen, can you lead the rest of the service today I have a troubled soul looking for my help" he says with a smile. The young man nods grinning widely and with that the guardsman and Harold exit the building. The moment the door closes behind them Harold's face twist into a furious scowl, "I explained to you...all of you that these damned rebels would attempt to save him. Miller was to be hung and you all allowed this to happen." with a sigh he begins to walk ahead pulling out a handkerchief from the inner pocket of his suit jacket and baps at his forehead.

"I want the town torn apart until Miller and any of those damned rebels are found...and if anyone opposes...send em to The Great Creator" he nods and walks off leaving the guard dumbfounded. "All this was far easier all those months ago...but then Miller had to change...the disbelievers following the wrong path" he frowns speaking with himself as he walks along the main road nodding and waving to those that would attend a little service.

Gecko
Silver

Post by Gecko » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:19 am

In light of the rain, Phoebe sat by herself inside of the infirmary with a pad of paper and a black pen with the chewed tip in her mouth. Her hair, which was normally straight, was now pulled up into a rather hastily-made ponytail. It was abundantly clear to anyone that might walk in that she was too enveloped in whatever she was doing to pay attention to much else besides the soft pattering of rain against the windows. Phoebe sat hunched over on a small stool with nothing but a candle to provide light on the desk.

Bandages seem to be doing okay for now...Might need some more morphine or something soon, that couldn't hurt to stock up on. What the hell am I missing?

Taking inventory on medical supplies was never Phoebe's strongest suit, but it never stopped her from trying. She was naturally equipped with knowledge on how to use medical items, not on how many there were at one time. The young woman couldn't be bothered to actually check on the morphine supply, so she simply scribbled down with the chewed pen that it would need to be a priority on a supply run.

Just as the note was scribbled down on the pad of paper there was some movement outside. Normally she wouldn't have taken notice to it, but the movements seemed too odd to ignore. It was accompanied by hushed voices. Curiosity got the better of the doctor as she set the pad and pen down on the desk by the candle and grabbed her jacket that was nearby. It was a black men's jacket, but beggars can't be choosers in the apocalypse. Phoebe quickly slipped on her shoes and stepped outside, pulling the collar of her jacket up so that it protected her face from the rain.

She saw Eden's guards running around the place in search of something and it occurred to her that maybe she shouldn't investigate. However, her moral inclination told her that there was definitely someone who was in need of some medical attention. With watchful eyes, Phoebe traversed the open area towards the old post office and attempted to peer inside. Condensation from the rain along with the fact that it was darker out made it difficult to look inside properly. Phoebe made a fist and rapped her knuckle softly against the window.

"Hey, is anyone in there?" she called in a lowered voice. "Hello?"
To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene iii, Line 87..."no."
Superhero Sandbox: Fusion
Art Thread: Don't Look Here!

JoJoTheClown
Silver

Post by JoJoTheClown » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:33 am

"Escaping wasnt exactly on my, to-do list." Miller admitted as he examined David for a moment. The two of them looked quite different than before. Although Miller, having been crippled from the shots those months ago, looked thinner, weaker than before. His face looked tired, with more wrinkles. His demeaner wasnt exactly confident anymore, though slightly hunched to keep his balance. "I didnt think i was going to make it out." He admitted as he watched the guards run by. "Nor did i have any reason to make it out." Miller replied, sounding like a man who lost all hope, which he did. "If we're going to continue, i cant walk around without a gun. It would be foolish of ne to think you ddint have two on you. So hand one over." Miller instructed as he stuck his arm out, motioning with the fold of his fingers for David to one one over.

Miller turned quickly when he heard the tapping on the glass. Instantly he pressed his back agains the wall, trying to remain unseen from anyone looking in. The voice, sounded like a womans. Though it didnt matter, if anyone found them, it could lead to being captured again. They couldnt risk it, whoever it was would have to be mudered if they saw them. Miller knew that. He also knew that the old David would disagree, but now, he wasn't sure. "Do we have a choice?" He whispered.

Reznik
Bronze

Post by Reznik » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:01 pm

David merely raised an eyebrow at Miller as he began going on about giving up. Things definitely had changed. Then when Miller asked about a firearm, David shook his head and looked back outside, “No firearms. Harold has cracked down tremendously since the attack on the cabin. No citizens are permitted to carry anymore.”

He stepped back out of sight when the tapping occurred on the window. This was an unknown in his plan, and definitely cause for some concern. David knew no plan was fool proof, and in a setting like this he had to handle issues like this as they arose. Hearing the voice however he knew who it was already.

“It’s the towns new doctor...”He said it in a hushed tone. While yes he was definitely a little more on the emotionless side now, David still wasn’t without morals. He couldn’t murder this woman in cold blood. Instead he came up wth another plan on the fly. Using hand gestures he gestured to Miller to step back out of sight behind the postal counter. Then he reached down to the door and unlocked the door. The sound of it unlocking would be clearly audible to her outside. Then David quietly stepped back so that when the door opened he’d be perfectly hidden behind it.

Now all he had to do was wait.

Gecko
Silver

Post by Gecko » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Phoebe couldn't hear anything inside, causing her to turn away. Perhaps it was just a trick of the mind, or maybe whoever it was didn't want to be seen. Just as she had turned away the door clicked. It captured her attention, as eerie as it was, and she moved slowly towards the door. Before going in, she looked around to see if there was someone close by that might be tied into this odd occurrence, but no one was around.

Phoebe cautiously pushed open the door and entered the pitch-black interior of the post office. Her fingertips brushed the door gently enough so that it would swing close behind her. I'm gonna get killed or something, holy shit. She happened to not take notice of David standing in proximity to the door and continued walking until she reached the center of the room.

"Where are you?" Phoebe asked softly as to not frighten whoever it was. Obviously they didn't want to be discovered. "Do you need help? I'm a doctor."

Reznik
Bronze

Post by Reznik » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:08 pm

As soon as the young woman had stopped, David silently took a few steps forward. In the time it took Phoebe to finish her last sentence, David quickly wrapped one arm around her, pinning her arms to her sides firmly and the other hand came around and pressed firmly over her mouth to keep her quiet. He then used his body and kept her firmly against him so she couldn’t kick him. David was least concerned about his toes, choosing to rely on his steel toe boots to handle any foot stomps.

“Listen very closely Doctor. You have my word I will NOT hurt you, but first you gotta promise to not make any noises.” Despite the harsh meeting he tried to kept his tone level and non threatening while still instilling in her that he was serious.

“Now. We’re gonna play some question and answer. I’d appreciate if you’d be truthful and honest with me, because I can promise you that if you draw attention to this building, Harold will not hesitate to kill everyone in here without so much as blinking an eye. Your expendable to him. I’d rather not anyone get hurt. Do you understand?”

David had to make sure he had her full cooperation. This little time delay blew his escape window so from this point forward the chances of Harold’s goons finding him and Miller were steadily increasing. David had a plan, but he needed to make sure Phoebe wasn’t going to sound the alarm in the process.

Gecko
Silver

Post by Gecko » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:00 pm

A strong arm suddenly came around and seized Phoebe tightly, startling her. The other hand reached over and placed itself promptly on her mouth before she could even give a yelp of surprise. Her eyes widened as she became very aware of the fact that she wouldn't be able to escape his grip and her heart thudded against her chest wildly. A gruff voice steadily explained that she would not be harmed. She gave a nod to indicate that she was willing to cooperate.

It became apparent to her that this man was probably one of the members of the uprising she had heard about. Phoebe hadn't been around for too long, but she did know that the rebels had a good reason to fight back. She hated being around Harold, and he often times struck her as the sinister type. The doctor kept her distance and got along with him in the sense that she did her best to speak to him only when necessary. As much as she wanted to keep a neutral reputation, Phoebe wouldn't mind secretly lending a hand to the rebels if they needed it.

Now feeling uncomfortable being restrained in what was essentially a giant bear hug to her, Phoebe started to shift around as to get David's arms off of her. Of course, with his hand clasped onto her mouth she couldn't exactly ask him to let go.

Reznik
Bronze

Post by Reznik » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:24 pm

David felt her nod, then felt her relax a bit and start squirming. He knew Miller would probably rather stay hidden and out of sight until he himself felt it safe enough to come out. David decided to release the girl and took a couple steps back. While doing so he also locked the door again to keep any visitors from popping in unannounced.

“I apologize for the heavy hand Doctor, but I can’t just go along trusting every person I run across here...” The former marine then crossed his arms over his chest as he eyed the woman. He watched every movement she made, and instinctively he mentally made note of each movement to tell whether she was going to do anything or not. Plus her body language alone would give away her intentions, plus tell him whether she was being up front and honest or not.

“Names Anderson. I know your newer to the community, and I know you limit contact with Harold for as much as possible. I’m guessing for the same reasons as me...”He lied. He wasn’t about to tell a stranger about him being a survivor of the guest cabin assault a year ago. That was knowledge he planned on keeping close to the vest. The less information about him people had, the better. He had no intention in Harold finding out that the marine of that group he slaughtered surviving.