Failing Light

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Re: Failing Light

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:38 am

“Maybe.” Camelia said, before tossing the last bite of bread into her mouth. She chewed for a long moment, before cleaning off her spoon and placing it inside of her empty bowl. She washed it all down with her remaining water, and sat back in her chair. Not the answer the girl wanted but, the girl was just after some sort of easy out that would let her return to how things were.

Not that Camelia blamed her for it.

“Be sure to eat your fill. You’ll need the energy for later.” Camelia said.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:54 am

"Right."

It was hard to keep the disappointment from slipping into her voice. Disappointed over what, she wasn't quite certain. It wasn't that the woman had said she thought her the proper target. That was obvious, from what she'd said before. Maybe that she hadn't denied it. Tried to help Aurora feel better, lessen the edge, give some semblance of stability. If so, it was a stupid thing to be disappointed over.

She didn't want to be lied to, and it wasn't like the woman could read her mind.

Instead, she returned to idly stirring the soup, occasionally lifting a weak spoonful to her lips to keep up the semblance of eating. She didn't want to upset Camelia.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 am

Camelia placed her cup and spoon within her bowl before she stood up, grabbing her dirty dishes with her good arm. She paused momentarily as she stepped around the table next to Aurora, and carefully raised her right arm and placed it on the girl’s shoulder awkwardly. She held it for only a second, not particularly certain how long she should hold it for, before stepping back into the kitchen and placing her dirtied dishes into the sink.

“So, where did you learn to cook?” Cutter asked with a smile.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 am

Aurora took a real sip of the soup as Camelia passed, not wanting the woman to notice her faking. She jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder, sputtering the small soup she'd taken in, and glanced back. That was odd. Not bad, not unwanted, just odd.

It kinda felt nice.

At Cutter's question, Aurora glanced back, hurriedly plastering on a nervous smile.

"I picked up a few things from the cook, back at the tavern I work - used to work at." She rose, lifting her still-full bowl. "I think I'm done for now."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 am

Camelia raised a brow as her amber eyes flicked down to the bowl in Aurora’s hand, but she said nothing as the lingered in the doorway. If the girl wasn’t hungry then there was no point in trying to make her eat, right? Was her mother like this when she was a child? Camelia couldn’t remember.

“You must be a real quick learner if this was just what you were able to pick.” Cutter said, bringing his bowl up to his lips and taking a long pull. “Just a touch too much salt but otherwise I think you’ve got a good eye for ingredients.”

“Well, if you two are ready how about I take you to your rooms once we clean up?” Cutter offered, and Camelia gave an agreeing grunt.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:01 pm

"I mean, I guess," Aurora said in reply to Cutter, hurrying past Camelia to bus her plate, hopefully before the woman could notice. She didn't say anything, so she was probably in the clear. The girl turned back to the doctor with a halfhearted smile.

"It was only a few ingredients, and it was really simple. I wouldn't really call it anything special."

At the mention of rooms, a yawn welled up in Aurora's throat, and she forced it back. Come to think of it, she was quite tired. Exhausted, even. She'd had a long, stressful day, and nothing sounded better than a place to sleep. She nodded quickly in reply.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:44 am

“Well, it seems you two had a long day, so I won’t hold you any longer.” Cutter said, brushing off his trousers as he stood. He motioned for the two women to follow him, before leading them up a staircase and too a dimly lit hallway lined with family portraits and heavy set wooden doors.

“There is a restroom through that door there, the plumbing new, but the cold water pipe likes to stick on so be mindful of that. The guest rooms are those two at the end of the hallway.” Cutter said, motioning to each door in turn.

“Thanks, Cutter.” Camelia said.

“Well, what sort of friend would I be if I didn’t help out?” He grinned. Camelia only offered a short chuckle as she stepped past him.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 am

Aurora slipped into the guest room on the left, whirling around to fall flat on the bed, arms spread out to either side. She could fall asleep like this. Not even wash her face, or take off her clothes. Just sleep right now. Her body certainly wanted to. It ached from the tips of her toes to the top of her head, and began to float into distant comfort the moment she touched the mattress. She opened her eyes and saw Camelia watching from the door, smiling at her. As soon as she noticed, the smile vanished back into a neutral stare.

Aurora sat up.

"What's up?" she asked, feeling a little uncomfortable. To hide her awkwardness, she tugged at her hair absently, working out a knot. "Everything okay?"

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:57 am

“Yes, it’s fine,” Camelia said, as she leaned against the door frame. She crossed her arms carefully, or did as much as her right arm would allow, and looked back over her shoulder. Aurora, whatever or whoever she was, was still a kid, and tired from the day’s events. How long had it been since she just allowed herself to just fall into a bed?

“I’ll be next door. You see or hear anything, scream and I will come to help, okay?” Camelia said, looking back to Aurora, “and get as much sleep as you can, I hope to get moving early tomorrow. We can catch a longer rest when we arrive at the Magi’s Villa.” She searched momentarily for anything to add, but what do you tell a kid with their life turned upside down anyway?

Instead Camelia simply nodded and said “sleep tight.”

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:13 am

"Oh-kay, same to you," Aurora replied back, giving a little wave of her fingers as Camelia turned to leave. She fell back into the bed, this time staring up at the ceiling, her mind a whirl of thoughts that raged against her need to sleep.

What was the Magi like? What would he say? What did Camelia want from her?

The last thought hung bitter in the air for a moment. She didn't want to answer it, nor did she want to try to answer it. Camelia wanted to keep her safe. The motives didn't matter.

It should have been difficult to finally drift off, what with the looming threat of danger chasing her down, but there was a sense of comfort in the woman's parting words. She was nearby, and she would help her if she needed it. That much, Aurora trusted. She needed to to stay sane. So instead of sitting up all night worrying about what might come, she closed her eyes and drifted into disquiet sleep.