[RP] The Monroe Institute

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Re: [RP] The Monroe Institute

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:35 pm

Ko couldn't help but let out a quiet chuckle when M and his chair toppled backwards. Hey, it was funny.

But, yeah, they totally agreed with what he was saying. The others needed to calm down. "I agreed with M," Zuko said. "We're being given a place to stay in exchange for understanding our powers more. Seems like a win-win situation to me. Alex, if psychics weren't real we wouldn't be here. Emma, if you think it's a curse, learning more about it will help you control it so you don't have to worry about it. And Nova, I'm sure if you didn't have powers, you wouldn't be here. It might not be anything flashy like M's... Electric thingie? But, hey, I thought I was going crazy when I first discovered mine. It would been considered witchcraft a couple hundred years ago, after all." They gave a small laugh. "I'm glad to be here if it means I can develop my powers and work out how to actually scry properly." They shrugged as they stopped talking, nothing else to say.

When Ko had first gotten to this place, they had thought everyone was there by choice like them, but even if that didn't seem to be the case, they couldn't see why people wanted to leave already. It was the perfect opportunity to learn more about what they could do.
madness is a rational response to a crazy world

you need a little bit of insanity to do great things

Check out my writing thread, if you want ^-^

Omen
Silver

Post by Omen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:08 pm

The doctor didn't seem at all surprised to have some of the kids speak up about what they thought of this place, and Alex was glad so many of them actually said something about it. For a second he thought he was going to be the only one. Especially that Emma girl -- getting all up in the man's face. For a second he thought she was going to punch him, especially when the two women moved quickly to the doctors side. But all Emma did was sit back down.

The man listened to the rest of the kids speak up with a thoughtful look on his face. When everyone had finished, he took a seat at his metal folding chair and sighed. "I understand that this might seem confusing," He started, his voice was soft, calm. "I anticipated this reaction, it's only normal. Many of you are here under very different circumstances from the others, I didn't mean to scare anyone. But Mr. Reyes and Mr. Beckett are right. You all have something, or you wouldn't have been selected to be here. You're psychic -- or whatever you'd like to call it, Alex -- and with our help you could learn to control that. All we're doing here is research, no torture machines or anything like that. This is a safe place. We're all curious to see what you can do and what this project will do for the research on psychic phenomena."

Alex resisted rolling his eyes, but nodded. He glanced at the others before his attention was pulled back to the man when he clapped his hands loudly -- again. "Alrighty then, anymore questions?" He asked, waiting a second. He didn't let anyone speak, though, or let anyone else talk before he stood. As if he didn't want to deal with their shit anymore."Good. Very well then. I'd like to give you all a tour of the institute. If any of you are unaware we're currently in Nevada, in a top secret army base. So we're very safe. Everyone is sworn to secrecy. Follow me, children." Standing, he was followed by the two women as he opened the door and waved them all to follow.

Alex stood, stretching. Although the man was saying all this crap about this place being nice and innocent, he didn't buy it for a second. He'd have to mention that to everyone later, he was bound to find at least one person with their head screws screwed on right. He wasn't going to let his guard down that easily, but he followed after the doctor anyway. He was curious to see what this place looked like.
illirica wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:20 pm
He heard footsteps approaching, a quiet voice. "Beautiful, isn't it?" Amaryllis said. He'd heard whispers about her. There were rumors, about her. He'd heard that she'd been spending a lot of time with the bay window lately.

Some even said she had put her hand on its underpane.

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:00 am

Emma didn't like the term 'psychic' being coined for them. She would've much preferred something like abnormals, or mutants. Did she just reference the X-Men in this? Okay, maybe not quite that... it was just too normal sounding for them to be called psychics. How about psychos?  Never mind. That's a conversation for later.

Before she could decide on what term they should really go by, the energetic green dude's foot tapping was getting on her nerves. His constant movements and inability to sit still were impressively annoying. Although his display of lightning sparking across his hands was surprising, her worry overshadowed her reaction to that display. How could anyone be so complacent with being test subjects for the government? It was like he was already subservient to whatever may or may not be going on here.

Emma's attention returned to Ko as they began agreeing with M. Great. Only two people were reasonably suspicious, two were completely compliant, and the other two didn't seem to care enough to take a side. But when Ko specifically called Emma out, telling her how she should act as well as downplaying how much her abilities were a detriment to her, Emma's blood began to boil. Oddly enough, she decided not to snap back, at least for the time being. She hated the fact that someone was speaking for her, especially on the basis of how she should feel. 

After giving Zuko a mildly threatening glare, Emma proceeded to turn her attention back to the quietest girl in the room. God, why is this Tiya girl not even speaking up or anything. After a few moments, Emma decided she was going to get the girl's opinion out of her one way or another. Emma gave Tiya a slightly unsettling smile, one that betrayed that she may be up to something. But her attention was quickly returned to the unregistered offender. 

Maybe I could just brush past him just enough, then I could find out what is so plainly clear with this man. God, I'd rather not touch that dude in anyway. Emma didn't like how calmly he took her getting into his face. Now that she thought about it, he didn't seem to have any noticeably visible reaction to her doing that. But then again those two women seemed to have been ready to jump in if Emma were to do anything. All of this was confusing, not to mention marred with red flags in her eyes.

Emma's heart dropped when she heard about them being in Nevada. Her first thoughts of possibly being in Area 51 were not so good. There were no logical means of escape if it came down to it. Not only that, but the level of secrecy probably meant that none of their loved ones would know where they were. Either way Emma's eyes met Alex's with a sense of understanding. If it came down to it, escape probably wouldn't be an option. Lovely.

Once she noticed that people were starting to get up for this tour of their new prison, Emma stood up, offering a hand to the girl beside her, Tiyana. Instead of coming off as aggressive, she'd at least be polite with her interrogation. Emma figured that there's nothing worse than alienating herself from people she would be living with. "So... Tiyana was it? Sorry for earlier. I'm just a little concerned with what may be going on here. The whole government-ran super secret research facility doesn't sit well with me. I'm not being too paranoid, am I?"
Where's our sacrifice?
Oh, get off the cross, we need the wood.

CherrytreeBee
Bronze

Post by CherrytreeBee » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:28 pm

Tiyana had been quite reserved, listening quietly to everyone stand up against this man, with few exceptions. She felt no need to chime in herself, she was busy thinking about her parents and hoping she could see them again soon. According to the doctor they were somewhere back in America.. meaning Tiya was thousands of miles away from her family. The white-haired girl missed them so badly.. she just wanted to see them again. She had been taken without even getting a chance to say goodbye. The shy girl played with her hair in silence, her nimble fingers delicately wrapping around some of the strands. She only snapped out of her thoughts when the doctor intended to let them see the institution itself, a heartless, cold place in Tiya's opinion. She still couldn't quite wrap her head around the fact that she and the people around her all were supposed 'psychics', the only person actually displaying them being M.

Planning to get to her feet along with everyone else, Tiyana was reasonably surprised to see a hand outstretched towards her, waiting for her to take it. Tiya shyly accepted the offer, using the support when it was provided because- well, she might as well. The telepathic blonde managed to show a timid smile in return, quickly averting her eyes as they began walking out of the room. Only when Emma asked her some questions did she sheepishly turn her head to look up at her.

"N-no, I agree. I don't like this either."

Tiyana looked around warily, rubbing her arm nervously.
Love, Cherry!

HighVoltage
Bronze

Post by HighVoltage » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:42 pm

M listened patiently as the professor explained where they were. Well, patiently is the wrong term. He had sat back down in his chair and immediately started tapping his foot again as he zoned out. He perked up when Ko mentioned his name and threw his hand up in a sort of "Yes that's me" gesture before zoning back out, vaguely hearing the scientist guy mentioning his real name (Gross) and the fact that they were in Nevada. Area 51? Alien time? Hell yeah!.

As Mr. PanelVanOwner prattled on and eventually motioned for them to follow, M popped up and stepped over to Ko, seeing as he was one of the most interesting of the group. "Hey, Ko, right? What's going on, man? First off, thanks for agreeing with me. Never knew what that felt like until now." M talked at a rapid pace, words almost blending together and the poor boy seeming to barely take any breaths in between sentences. "You said something about 'scry'? Is that your 'thing'? You can see shit?"
Sandbox Characters: Afvaldr Ljung, Lily Pond

SandboxLore: Where Does Rage Come From?

Elenore Nightswarmer
Bronze

Post by Elenore Nightswarmer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:10 pm

Nova decided it was probably time to keep her mouth shut. She only glanced up at M’s display of green light and falling to the floor. Without saying anything else, she though instead about what he said. Nova had at least food and shelter with her parent, even though she didn’t have any plans for the future. Maybe her mother would let her get a job with her, where she didn’t have to be around so many people. Just because they had food, didn’t mean there was nothing to worry about. This one didn’t seem to be the kinda person that really worried about anything.

Moving her head up slightly, looking at the person saying her name out loud. She had no idea how they picked up on it so fast, Nova had problems remembering everyone’s names. It went by so fast and they were just too many to remember right away. She looked down again, then they were done talking, having really nothing to say back. In her own head, her mind was racing. They were right about it being nothing flashy, it wasn’t even useful. Nova still wasn’t sure it could even be considered an “ability” or “power”, not to mention “witchcraft”. Maybe she really could develope it into something useful?

When the doctor ensured them that there was no mistakes, she managed to calm down her mind a litte more, but it didn’t last long. If they were really located in the middle of the desert somewhere, she guessed they really were “safe”. She slowly got up and looked around the room. If some of them had problems with the police, who exactly was the safetly for? She doubted they did all this, just to keep her and the other kids safe.

Quickly pulling her hoodie sleeves over her hands and crossing them, again to keep from shaking too badly, she prepared herself for the tour. Her memory wasn’t the best and she got easily lost, so she had to focus hard on paying attenton to where everything was. And if things outside looked like a hotel or hospital, where everything looked basically the same, she would be screwed. Nova just hoped they had their own rooms and that she would be allowed to lock herself up, soon. They knew why they were here, there seemed to be no reason to hang out with everyone anymore than necessary.
Last edited by Elenore Nightswarmer on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Lenny

Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Off Topic Gang Member

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:25 am

Zuko inwardly cringed when the scientist guy called them 'Mr Beckett'. They had gotten so used to people knowing about them, that it was a little shock to hear it.

They got up when the doctor said to follow him, and was a little surprised when M came up to them. It took them a moment to process what the guy was saying - Jeez this guy talks fast... - cringing slightly again at the word 'man' being used to address them. They brushed it off, though; there was no point in thinking too much about it, it weren't like anyone here knew.

"Yeah, it's Ko," they said, nodding. "It's a bit of shock being addressed as a guy twice in a row, heh. I'm used to being around people who, uh, don't do that." Ko laughed slightly. "And yeah, the best way to describe what I can do is 'seeing shit'. I can see objects and people through mirrors, which has helped many times with taking tests. It's usually things in the present, though. I can occasionally see the future through mirrors, but I can't control that and it's hardly ever useful. It usually only ever shows me things like when sales are going to happen in my favorite shops. But either way, it's still cool, since it is one of the things witches were known for doing a lot." They shrugged.

Omen
Silver

Post by Omen » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Almost immediately some of the kids began talking amongst themselves, and Alex sighed. He was the first in the line that followed the doctor out into a white hall. It looked like a doctor's office. Several doors with numbers dotted the walls of hall, it took him a second to realize that it was their subject numbers.

"Currently we're in the dormitory section of the building," He said, walking over to the first door and pushing it open -- it was 527. The room was decently sized. With a twin bed, a nightstand, a desk, a small closet, a door that presumably led to a bathroom -- no windows. Alex raised a brow at this as he poked his head in. There were no suitcases or anything like that, except for two small boxes. "When we finish with our tour you'll find your new uniform in those boxes, there are some in each room. For security purposes you are not allowed to have any personal belongings in the institute, I'm sure you all understand." Alex didn't.

The thin man continued down to the very last door, pushing it open. It led into some stairs, and as Alex gripped the metal railing and looked up at the stairs that continued over their heads, he couldn't help put speak up. 'What floor are we?"

"Five," Dr. Bezkos replied as he walked down the stairs. "Many of these floors are labs -- you'll never get to see them as they're top secret and locked. You all will mostly be seeing level five, level three, and level two."

The door to level three turned out to spill into a room that resembled a common area. There were televisions, white couches, a small kitchenette and a dining table. It was a large room, and it rank of lavender or something. Alex couldn't help himself, he took a step into the room, glancing around the corners of the walls for cameras. There surprisingly were none, that he could see anyway.

And again, there were no windows.

"Level two is a series of rooms where our research will be conducted," The doctor said as he stood off to the side, watching all the kids walk in and examine the room. "Tests begin tomorrow, as the CIA overseer Nina Archibald thought it be best you take a day to get settled and get to talk amongst yourselves. If you notice there are no windows, but we will take frequent trips outside to get some fresh air. There's an area for gardening behind the institute if it interests anyone." He paused, watching them all for a second. Alex realized the two women had disappeared and he kicked himself for not noticing it sooner. "There are no rules, but I'd like you all to behave accordingly. You're not five year olds, I expect you all to act like it.

Although there is a kitchenette for you, breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be served for you at 9 AM, 1 PM, and 6 PM. If you have dietary issues please let me know and we will talk with our chefs. I believe that's it for now. Any questions?" This time he did wait for anyone to speak up, and Alex crossed his arms over his chest as he looked at the others.
illirica wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:20 pm
He heard footsteps approaching, a quiet voice. "Beautiful, isn't it?" Amaryllis said. He'd heard whispers about her. There were rumors, about her. He'd heard that she'd been spending a lot of time with the bay window lately.

Some even said she had put her hand on its underpane.

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:28 pm

A sigh of relief came from Emma upon hearing of Tiya's agreement. Not quite a majority as of now, but half of them being at least reasonably suspicious was definitely a good start. One thing was for certain. Tiyana's pent up nervous energy was intensely off-putting. Maybe she could help fix it. Emma figured it would be better to become allies with the others since they were all in the same position. Plus... the girl had to be stronger than this. Just in case it wasn't the paradise that the doctor seemed to be claiming it was.

Emma reached her arm around her, resting her arm on Tiya's shoulders (Worth mentioning how the taller girl did have to awkwardly stoop down a few inches), pulling her a little closer. Her voice came out softly, only loud enough for Tiya to hear, and there was a hint of timidity as she wasn't used to consoling others. "Hey... You have every right to be nervous here... all of us are. Just know that we have each other's backs. Even if it doesn't seem like it. Hell, I'll make every single one of us make a blood pact tonight to protect each other no matter what. Well, maybe not an actual blood pact..." Emma paused as she realized that she was starting to ramble on. "You get the point though, right?"

As Emma was trying to console the shy girl, she overheard that they would not be able to keep any of their personal belongings (not that she even had time to pack). All of this just reminded her of the psych ward, just without any sense of freedom and an underlying fear. Though her eyes did light up at the mention of there being chefs here. When the doctor asked if they had any questions, Emma stayed silent, looking around at the others. Any questions she had she'd be able to figure out on her own, or wouldn't be answered at all.
Where's our sacrifice?
Oh, get off the cross, we need the wood.

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:58 pm

No personal belongings? Ko didn't see why. It didn't make sense to them. They had gotten so used to carrying an old mirror their best friend had bought them a while ago around, that they felt uncomfortable not having it with them. So they made a mental note to ask about that.

Uniforms were annoying. They had gotten to the time of year when their teachers at school didn't care about school uniforms any more, so having uniforms here was definitely annoying. Oh well.

The common area place looked nice, Zuko liked it. They looked around while still listening to the scientist guy. Gardening sounded good. They liked gardening. They were responsible for the back and front gardens of both their house and their best friend's house, and they thought they were quite good at it. So that was something they'd be interested in.

They were glad that the scientist guy stopped for them to ask questions. Ko had a few things to ask.

They paused for only a moment before saying everything all at once. "Uh... Firstly, on the topic of dietary needs, I don't eat meat and also can't have anything dairy. But actual questions... Why can't we have personal belongings? It doesn't make sense to me. Would even just small items like the mirror my best friend got for me a couple years ago still count as a security issues? Also, what about school? It's mock exam season for year tens in England at the moment, and also I'm meant to be doing my English Lit GCSE soon, so... What about that stuff?"