Fallen Kingdom, A new war begins

Arkane

Re: Fallen Kingdom, A new war begins

Post by Arkane » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:20 am

The rest of the travels were largely uneventful for Hawke. The days blurred into the night and the night blurred into the next day. It was damn depressing. He was sick of such sombre people and even more so of sitting in the back of a wagon and waiting to get to their unknown destination. The wailing and moaning of the injured drove him insane. If he had it his way, he’d put them out of their misery so they could all have some peace. Perhaps that was cold of him, but he didn’t care for the city of Astore, nor did he care for the royal family. Sure, they all experienced some piss poor luck and he’d seen enough blood shed to last a lifetime, but they were still alive. That was something.

On multiple occasions he debated ditching the caravan of wagons to venture out on his own, like he had always done. Hawke had an ulterior motive, his own quest he was attempting to complete. Whatever business these people and the Dark Sylvan had, it was none of his concern. However, any opportunity to escape never presented itself. It was like they were traveling on the least travelled road in the whole of the world. There were no towns nearby, and there were no signs of life...just rolling hills of green and nature. To leave now would be a fools errand. Hawke needed supplies and to find out where the hell they were. For those reasons, he stuck around for at least a little longer.

After a few more days, the wagons finally stopped in what appeared to be a dense forest. “Oh bloody hell,” he grumbled. He had an inkling he knew where they were and if his assumptions were correct, he was a long ways away from where he wanted to be. But at least they could finally ditch the uncomfortable wagons. His sharp golden eyes narrowed slightly as he studied the forest before them, Hawke leaping over the side of the wagon in one smooth motion. He was just about to venture forward, when an unfamiliar voice caught his attention. Turning to face the wagon once more, he saw a very tiny looking girl, which reminded him of a child’s doll. He remembered seeing her before, when he was in the alley way outside of the Blushing Maiden. He thought she was some sort of ancient magic laced gnome....and it was currently talking to him. Wait...she was in their wagon for the entire journey and he didn’t notice? And did she say spirit? Nope. Noooope.

“Hawke,” was all he said in response to Moon, not bothering to stick around for any more small talk. Not his style. Plus, he didn’t like magic. Any of it. He’d never admit it out loud though, but if he could help it, he’d rather keep a safe distance from any and all types of magic. And that included whatever spirits were.

He continued on towards the makeshift camp that was set up and disappeared behind one of the curtains hung near the stream. It felt nice to wash off the dirt and grime of battle and felt even better to change into a pair of clean clothes. He took the time to put his leather armour back on. Then, he’d accept the wood elves’s gracious offer of food and proceeded to find a secluded place to sit. As he ate, he quietly observed his surroundings. Always watching and always aware.

Cheanlenu
Location: Under your bed plotting with the voices in your head.

Post by Cheanlenu » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 am

As evening sets over the forest, and the last sets of refugees make it into the camp. A small calm settles on the makeshift camp. Not many if any are making any sort of conversation, and even if they did what would they say. It is not like something happened that anyone would wish to talk about. Rather everyone is trying to forget what just happened, or wishing this is some nightmare they will wake from any moment. The activity from the elves within the camp slows as well. Over time more and more of them leave into the forest, until only a small handful of them remain. They seem to be slightly different than the rest that were serving food, and setting up facilities as everyone arrived. The ones who left seemed more simple, and more like common town folk. Those who remained showed an elegance to them, and seemed far more knowledgeable. However the distrust, and hatred between the elves and the dark sylvan was not sparred by them in the least. Through the night insults could be heard tossed back and forth in both dark sylvan, and fae. Neither however never went further than just insults. None of them even reached for their weapons, or showed any interest in going further. Perhaps it was their way of showing restraint for the people who just lived through hell, and not letting them see another vision of it. Maybe it was something more that kept their blades in their sheaths. One thing is for certain. There was a great deal of work and preparation put into this, and not to mention gaining the trust and assistance of the dark sylvan.

As the last of the sun fades behind the mountains, and the faint glow of campfires and torches are all the light that remains. People make their way through camp, and over time after eating small groups form. People consoling each other, or just thankful someone they knew survived. Liandril makes her way through the camp with the assistance of two of her soldiers. Her twisted ankle is still giving her trouble, but that is not the most concerning point about her. Her normal confident disposition is replaced by worry, and her eyes look troubled. Walter gets up from the tent where his daughter is sleeping, and walks over to Liandril. As he approaches the two with her reach for their weapons. Liandril's face dons a vicious look with what she says to them in dark sylvan. They quickly release their weapons, and drop to their knees. She tells them something else in dark sylvan, and the leave off into the forest. Walter shakes his head saying, "I don't have to understand what you said to know you went to far. They were only protecting you, and you can't take how you feel out on them. They will never learn from you that way." Liandril's face still looks angry as she spins to face him, and he just holds out a bottle saying. "Drink O clumsy leader. It wont make what happened go away, but it will ease the frustration a little. Never in my life I ever dreamed I would offer a drink to a dark sylvan." He laughs. He then continues. "My father always told me life has a way of surprising you when you least expect it. You sure were a surprise. Frankly I could care less who or what you are. You are a leader who commands many who are loyal to you, and willing to die on your command. You don't gain that kind of loyalty by being feared. You also saved a bunch of our asses out there. If anything that makes you ok in my book. You also saved something most precious to me. So lets drink, laugh, cry, and curse each others faults. I know you still owe me a beating, but not until that ankle heals." Liandril smirks saying, "You are an odd human Walter. Fine then I shall take you up on your offer, but I warn you it takes a really big man to make me cry."

Off to the east side of the camp, several small children start to gather around one of the campfires. Soft sounds of laughter can be heard coming from them. The dark sylvan mage that blew up the east gate is there with them. She is creating colorful animals from raw magic energy, and having them do tricks for the children. She is smiling brightly as the children interact with the colorful animals. Some even gather sticks, leaves, and rocks setting up little obstacles for the animals to overcome. This continues on for a couple hours until the children begin to tire, and she gets up from where she is sitting. She walks with all of them back to where their family are. When she passes by a tent on her way back dropping off the last child. She spies a single child sitting in front of it all alone. The face of the child is on the verge of bursting into tears. The child looks no more than six years old, and is in tattered clothes. She stops, and sits next to the child. She does not say anything, or do anything but sit there. It takes a while for the child to even take notice she is even there. Slowly the child starts to turn to look at the woman. The woman slowly looks at the child. Her eyes soft and warm, a comforting mothers stare. She places a hand on her chest palm inward, and says. "Celess" then points to the child. The child takes a couple minutes to understand and says, "Jake". She then smiles, and holds out her arms. Jake pauses for a moment, but soon buries his face into her chest letting out muffled wails as he finally loses control. She gently wraps her arms around him rocking him slowly while stroking his hair. He continues for almost an hour before his voice becomes raspy, and he is to tired to cry anymore. He eventually falls asleep, and Celess lays him down on one of the bed rolls within the tent. She lays on the one next to him, and remains there through the night.

Up in the trees there is abundant activity. As the light dies down small figures can be seen flying through the branches. Sprites are busy through the night flying off towards the direction William left in, and back out into the forest from that direction as well. They all seem to be carrying some types of bags filled with something, and when leaving the bags are empty. This continues on through the night, and on into the morning. Off through the forest, and almost a kilometer from the camp is a small log cabin. The cabin is small, and has only one floor. The front door faces the morning sun as it rises in the east. A large garden plot sits out front, and rows of herbs planted neatly within them. The garden looks to be cared for with great love, and a white picket fence surrounds it. A fence gate sits between the cabin and the garden to allow access. A soft column of white smoke rises from the flagstone chimney, and sprites come and go from the window on the east side. A small set of wrapping stairs go up the wall under the window, and brownies can be seen going up and down them. A woman can be seen within the window tending to the things they are all bringing. Her bright red hair glistens in the morning sun as she moves about. Her dark brown eyes show concern as she gazes out the window at the forest beyond.

In a room off from the main room of the cabin is a small bedroom. A simple bed dominates the center of the room, and is made from carved cedar. The mattress is made from down stuffed burlap, and mink fur sewn together to cover the entire surface. Making it soft, and comfortable. To the right of the bed is a hand carved nightstand, and appears to be carved out of a single piece of wood. On it rests a silver candelabra with three bees wax candles. Across the room is a hand crafted vanity made from cedar as well, and on top rests a four foot silver back mirror. On the vanity rest a set of silver grooming brushes, combs, hair pins, and a pair of scissors. All looks to be well taken care of with love, and neatly placed. As the morning light begins to peek through the window into the room. Small specs of dust dance lazily in the beams of light as they break through the glass window. A soft breeze is blowing in through the partially open window, and carries the scents of the forest with it. The soft smells of the trees, ferns, flowers, mosses, and moisture from the nearby stream. Resting there in the safety of the cabin on the bed is princess Celia. Every so often the red headed woman comes in to check on Celia to see if she has woken, and goes back to the main room when she hasn't. The sounds of glass tapping against more glass can be heard coming from the next room.

kood

Post by kood » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:27 am

Alain spent the whole trip trying to massage his hurting neck and sleeping barely talking to anyone unless directly asked anything. He also re-equipped his armor over time and simply thought about the attack, unsure of the reasons why it started. He awoke as the waken stopped. He looked around and then squinted as the marble thing on the floor turned into a small person like thing, with a scythe. He listened as the spirit known as moon introduced herself. He awkwardly responds "hey... moon, I'm Alain and I'm not really concerned with what you are as long as you don't try to kill me, but it's a pleasure to meet you none the less". Alain then, without another word, disembarked the wagon and begun to group to the grove. After he got himself familiar with the are he went off for a jog around the Grove, careful not to go too far.

Cheanlenu
Location: Under your bed plotting with the voices in your head.

Post by Cheanlenu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:18 am

The night passes peacefully, as the lost souls rescued from the horror of what befell Astore find their first peace in days. The first rays of sunlight begin to peek through the dense canopy of the forest, and people within the makeshift camp begin to stir. Slowly the sounds of people moving about begin to drown out the subtle sounds of the waking forest. Off to the east side of the camp Jake begins to stir, still laying next to Celess. He wakes still half asleep, and eyes half open. Beginning to look around, his eyes grow wide as if something just struck him at that moment. Panic washes over his face, but soon is replaced by surprise when a set of soft arms wrap around him. Celess stirred feeling his panic, and quickly envelopes him in a warm hug. Within a few moments he calms, but begins to cry once again. She just sits there holding him until he calms back down. Once he finally does, Celess gets up taking his hand in hers. She leads him over to one of the campfires, which at this point is nothing but embers. She begins to gather some of the smaller pieces of wood from the pile next to it, and feeds them to the smoldering embers. Slowly poking at it with a stick until the wood lights a flame. Jake sits by watching as she does so, and begins to gather small pieces of wood as well in an attempt to help her. She looks on as he does his best to gather as much wood as he can, and gives him a warm smile when he piles it up next to her.

Off in the distance near the north edge of the camp Liandril, and Walter are passed out leaning against a tree. Bottles strewn about them, and a little girl bundled up in a blanket still asleep in between them. Her head resting on Liandril's lap, and her legs across Walter's lap. The dark sylvan that are already awake, and wandering through the camp give the area a wide birth. The elves that left the camp last night have started to return, and are bringing in more supplies. Curses can be heard hurled back and forth between the dark sylvan and the elves as they pass each other. As heated as the words become neither of them even reach for their weapons, and just seem to settle for hurling curses at each other. The hatred between the two races is obvious to see, but again what keeps them from coming to blows. This carries on into the morning as the campfires are built back up into actual fires, and food once again is being prepared. Simple food is cooked for breakfast, and this time the elves brought with them some juices and milk for the children. A large sack of coffee is placed next to one of the fires, and a couple of the elves begin to brew it in a giant kettle.

From the east William is seen making his way back into the camp, and is accompanied by a red headed human woman. She is wearing a flower pattern day dress, and a simple cooking apron. She looks as almost to be hiding behind William as they wander into the camp. She stays close to his back, and peeks out occasionally from behind to look around. Her blue eyes like two deep pools of water search out across the camp. He makes his way across to where Liandril is resting, and the woman comes out from behind him. She looks on at the sleeping trio against the tree, and appears to say something to William. The woman is odd not only in behavior, speech, and movement. However that is not the only odd thing about her. Moon and Ariazes can see no life force within her. It is almost like she isn't actually there. Her body itself is just a mass of spirit energy, and the same energy that flows within William. Small amounts of William's energy can be seen passing to her body, and mingling with her own. Her energy seems to travel out along the ground like a morning mist, and rise back up into her from the ground itself. The ground she walks on seems to come alive as well. The plants under her bare feet, and around her feet perk up and grow larger. All of the dark sylvan, and the elves bow their head to her as she passes.

William reaches over, and wakes Liandril from her sleep against the tree. Slowly, and groggy she stirs. When her eyes finally open she realizes she has a little girl sleeping in her lap. She smiles as she gently rubs the girls head, and gently shifts her so she is resting on Walter. William says, "Found yourself a daughter?" Liandril looks sternly at William saying, "Hardly, but she is sweet though. Gives me a little hope to maybe I have a future in all of this." She looks over at Walter and continues. "I can't believe this human male got me drunk, and didn't even touch me. I guess I still have a lot to learn. You were right. There are good males out there. I guess I just am not ready to fully commit yet. Though those two gave me some hope." She looks back at William continuing. "So, what's the plan from here?" William looks out over the camp, then says. "Well that is not totally up to me. First things first though. I did promise these people an explanation. Though I am not sure what I tell them will make much of a difference. Where we go from here all depends on Princess Celia." Liandril gets up, and brushes herself off. She smiles saying, "Good morning Annette, or maybe not a good morning. Either way t is nice to see you again." The red headed woman smiles, and hugs Liandril. Liandril than says, "How is William's injuries?" William looks annoyed saying, "I am right here you know. You could just ask me." Liandril returns his annoyed look with a smile saying. "Yes, but you would just lie to me telling you are fine when you not. I would rather ask someone who wouldn't lie to me." The red headed woman giggles. Annette places her hand on Liandril's temple, and Liandril closes her eyes. A few moments later Liandril looks sternly at William saying, "Just as I thought. You are going to take it easy even if I have to tie you up. You are in no condition to be doing anything. I really wish you would take better care of yourself. You just don't know how important you are." She sighs continuing. "All right I will gather everyone, and you just take it easy. Annette make sure he doesn't do anything." Annette smiles and nods. William looks annoyed saying, "What is this a conspiracy?"

Liandril leaves making her way through the camp. She stops occasionally at campfires informing everyone that William will be speaking with everyone shortly after breakfast. That he will be providing everyone with information on what is going on, and what will happen after this. She makes her way through the entire camp, and when she runs across Malique the two of them start a rather heated argument. It was already obvious that Malique hated the dark sylvan, but the hatred she is showing towards Liandril is on a whole different level. Both of their faces curled in anger as they argue, and as the two of them begin to reach for their weapons William shouts. "Knock it off both of you! This is neither the time nor place for your childish games!" The two of them stop reaching for their weapons and fall silent. The two of them then pass each other, and each say one final word in passing. Liandril, "Slut", Malique, "Whore" both said under their breath quietly. They both make their way to opposite ends of the camp.

Finally everyone is gathered near the north end of camp where a small platform has been set. William steps up onto the platform. Annette, Malique, and Liandril stand behind him on the ground. William looks out over the crowd of people, and begins to speak. "Thank you all for giving me a chance to speak with you. Given what has taken place I am sure most if not all of you have a lot of questions. I will do my best to clear up as much as I can, but keep in mind I do not have all the answers. My name is William Arthur Trevor. Not really anyone of note, and this forest has been my home for the past ten years. For the past two years I have been employed by Queen Alexandra as an information broker of sorts. I had been assisting the queen in gathering information about her kingdom. Trade, crops, culture, land exchange, and prosperity of the towns and villages. For some reason she felt the information she was receiving by her own people wasn't reliable. So I offered my assistance. Everything was fine up until about six months ago when I started seeing suspicious activity among the mercenaries of the lands. Someone was buying up their services. Now normally hiring a mercenary is not unusual, but the amount they were employing was suspicious. I informed the queen, and she pleaded with me to investigate the matter further. So for the past six months I have been tracking the money trail only to wind up at dead ends each time. It was only about a week ago that I came across an actual lead, but by that time it was to late. A large scale plan was already in motion, and no time to counter it. The night before the attack I went to inform the queen about my fears for their safety, and she simply begged me to save her daughter."

"The city had already been infiltrated, and most of the guard replaced by mercenaries. I did not have enough time to root out the bad guards from the good. The attack on the city of Astore, and the royal family I am afraid was done from the inside. The information I came across pointed to local nobles. However these nobles don't have enough tactical knowledge to pull off how precise this attack was. So my fear is there is a higher power involved in all of this. Still that does not absolve the blame from those who took part. So on short notice I called in the assistance of my friends, and did as much as I could to save as many we could. We were ill prepared for the scale of this attack, and I apologize for that. However from the information I gathered the attack on Astore is only the beginning. Though I do not know much more than that about their plans. In essence war was declared on the kingdom of Astoria. I would also like to apologize for our limited supplies. If we had more time we could have provided for you better. Now to answer a question a good bit of you may have been asking. Why are the dark sylvan helping us? Well that answer is a bit complex, and a bit of a long story. So I will do my best to sum it up. I know a good bit of you have noticed that the dark sylvan here aren't like the horror stories you have heard. There is a reason for that. The dark sylvan thousands of years ago used to live here on the surface among us, but an internal war broke out. The faction that are the dark sylvan lost, and were driven underground, and to near extinction. Over the centuries they adapted, and began to thrive. However the underground altered them, and changed their personalities. Those are the dark sylvan you heard the horror stories about."

"Over the past couple hundred years however there was a change in some of them. They were less aggressive, and not as hateful. They wanted a more peaceful existence, and hated their own society. So two years ago, around the time I started working for the queen. I met Liandril here." He motions to Liandril. She steps up on the platform with him. "Long story on how we got past our differences, but the end result is she had a dream for her people. She wanted to bring those who didn't like the way dark sylvan society was back to the surface, and give them a chance to live a peaceful life. Herself included. All of the dark sylvan around you either wish to live on the surface, or have family who wish to. They fight on our side simply for that chance. So I offered to set up a meeting for Liandril and the queen. However this happened before I was able to, but there still is hope. I was able to get princess Celia out of that nightmare, and keep her safe. They are still willing to fight by our side, and help us either escape or regain the kingdom from the attackers. That about sums up all I know of what is going on. None of you are prisoners, and can leave whenever you wish. You are welcome to stay as well. If you wish to leave we will do what we can to help you, but we can't take you back south. There is to much risk in that until we have more information. Currently I have people out investigating the countryside for more information. So if you wish you can sit tight until we know more, and learn what princess Celia wishes to do from here. I am truly sorry we weren't able to do more, and am sorry for the loss of your loved ones. The elven village to the northwest has a temple in it. If you ask any of the elves they will guide you if you wish to pray."